Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-11-16, 06:45 PM   #276
DVD Talk Hero

Re: One and only legal cannabis thread

Cops Fake Doctor's Note to Take Down Family-Run Long Beach Dispensary

[short version]
Quote:
After the club sent one of its drivers to deliver cannabis, police pulled over the vehicle, impounded it and arrested the driver before bashing down the dispensary's door with a battering ram.
Un-fucking-believable ...or maybe very believable.

Still, so many fucked up things in that story. Fuckn' cops...
Old 03-15-16, 09:56 AM   #277
DVD Talk God

To be fair to the cops, they are inundated with "Drugs are bad and ruining our community" so often they don't seem to normally think about how they are playing a huge part in ruining communities with their actions on drugs. There are a lot of cops that play out their role on "the war on drugs" like they were a rabid Trump supporter. Trying to make sense of how they have come to think doesn't usually give you a rational, reasonable conclusion.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-22-16, 11:38 AM   #278
DVD Talk God

On the war on drugs and Nixon. http://www.vox.com/2016/3/22/1127876...s-racism-nixon

From the article:

At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-17-16, 02:16 PM   #279
DVD Talk God

Gov. Wolf signs Pennsylvania medical marijuana bill into law

Well, I gave CRM enough time to post this himself and he didn't.

I haven't seen the particulars of the bill. Was this a ballot measure or did the legislature do this on their own?

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-17-16, 02:20 PM   #280
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Patients can take marijuana in pill, oil, vapor or liquid form but are not able to legally obtain marijuana to smoke or to grow their own
You guys suck. You have Illadelph, one of the greatest bong manufacturers in the world in your state, and you can't use them with your sinful medical marijuana.

Get that oil/vapor stuff, man. They'll probably have the cartridges that are prefilled. I know guys that take 3 puffs off that in the evening and are perfect. Just makes you a better you.

― Carl Sagan
Old 05-13-16, 03:31 PM   #281
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ohio House passes medical marijuana plan in historic vote

Quote:
COLUMBUS - In a first for Ohio legislators, House lawmakers passed a plan to legalize medical marijuana after a lengthy debate and hand wringing on both sides of the aisle.

After years of opposing plans to legalize marijuana, medicinal or otherwise, House lawmakers passed a plan 71-26 Tuesday. Members of GOP-controlled House – under pressure from two medical marijuana efforts shooting for the November ballot – talked seriously and passionately about medical marijuana for the first time.

Why now? Polls show Ohioans are much more interested in legalizing medical marijuana than the recreational drug. The bill's GOP sponsor Rep. Stephen Huffman, an emergency room physician from Tipp City, said this proposal is what's best for patients after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration failed to act.

"I am absolutely convinced that there is therapeutic value in medical marijuana," said Huffman, after reciting a portion of the Hippocratic Oath that physicians take to care for patients. "There is absolutely no doubt in my mind."

For Rep. Dan Ramos, D-Lorain, medical marijuana is a needed alternative to opiates for some chronic pain patients. He held up a blank sheet of paper, saying it represented the total number of people who have died of marijuana overdoses. By comparison, 2,020 deaths were linked to opiates in 2014 – nearly 80 percent of all overdose deaths.

Still, Ohio's GOP-controlled legislature isn't ready to accept all forms of medical marijuana. The strict bill, introduced after months of testimony from opponents and proponents, would not allow patients to grow marijuana at home or smoke it. Employers could fire employees for having marijuana in their systems, even if it is recommended by a physician.

The proposal is headed to the Senate, where minor changes are expected. The bill could be on Gov. John Kasich's desk by the end of the month. The governor has said he would support a medical marijuana proposal if it were property written and there was a need for it.

"If the experts come back and say, 'We need this for people who have seizures,' I'm for that," Kasich told Stephen Colbert on the presidential campaign trail.

If passed, Ohio would become the 25th state to legalize medical marijuana. Michigan already allows it, and Pennsylvania recently passed a law.

The bill has changed in some significant ways since it was introduced last month.

Most notably, patients would not be allowed to smoke medical marijuana, and tetrahydrocannabinol, the chemical that gives users their "high," would be limited to 35 percent of plants and 70 percent of extracts. Patients could use a vaporizer, which heats marijuana into a gas or stream rather than burning it to smoke.
More at the link. From an entertainment standpoint, I am relieved that this proposal does nothing to address recreational use by those who would pull two bags of pot from their underwear in front of a judge in the courtroom.

Quote:
THE COURT: This courtroom has an overwhelming smell of marijuana. So whomever has it, if you want to give it up right now it's going to be destroyed. If you don't, we're bringing the drug dog over and you're going to be doing a lot of time in jail when we find it. So who has the marijuana?
MR. DABNEY: I smoked marijuana before I got here.
THE COURT: Okay. Well, do you have it on you?
MR. DABNEY: No, sir.
THE COURT: Well, it doesn't smell to me like burnt.
MR. DABNEY: I'm cool then.
THE COURT: You're safe, you think?
MR. DABNEY: I know I am.
THE COURT: What time did you smoke it?
MR. DABNEY: Shit, like since 9:00, 9:15. I'll be honest about that. I ain't going to hold you up, Mr. Bernie. I just got out on a probation violation for a dirty piss, so I smoked this morning. I ain't going to hold you up. I ain't going to hold you up. It's me. I got --
THE COURT: What's your name? Do you remember that?
MR. DABNEY: I don't know that right now.

THE COURT: Okay. Why don't you come up here and have a seat so we can maybe -- maybe we can take it out in the hall. I don't care what your name is. Come on up. Maybe you can remember your name by the time you sit up here. Have a seat right over here.
MR. RENGERING: Well, we have his attorney here.
THE COURT: You have Mr. Moore?
MR. DABNEY: Yes, sir.
THE COURT: Okay. No, no, no. Right here. What's his name, Mr. Moore?
MR. MOORE: Dabney, Darius Dabney, Your Honor. He did answer to his name earlier, though. Judge, what happened on Mr. Dabney, he's here for probation violation. What happened was he was locked up, didn't report to probation and just recently got out for a felony PV.
THE COURT: And celebrated.
MR. MOORE: Evidently so.

THE COURT: Yeah. Well, I don't think I can take a plea from him today because he's not of sound mind.
MR. DABNEY: Can I come back?
THE COURT: Yeah, you're going to come back, but here's the problem, you're going to stay with us for a couple days.
THE DEFENDANT: What?
THE COURT: Yeah.
MR. DABNEY: Sir, I have my son outside. Like I really have my son. Like I got to pick up my son at 10:00, 11:00.
MR. MOORE: Your Honor, I did speak to him earlier and he knew his name and he knew essentially why he was here and that sort of thing. He didn't strike me as someone who was intoxicated. Judge, I know that he was kind of carrying on a little bit in the back there, but I think he was just having fun, essentially, is what it comes down to, Judge. I'm satisfied that he's ready to proceed.
THE COURT: Well, thank you for that, but I mean, he just admitted that he smoked marijuana right before he came to court.
THE DEFENDANT: Oh my gosh. Like, Mr. Bernie --
THE COURT: It's Judge Bouchard, but that's okay, Mr. Dabney. You want to step on up here, Mr. Dabney. I'm finding you in contempt, sir, for coming to court high, wasting the Court's time, public defender's time, everybody's time that's getting paid here. You can't enter a plea because you're not of sound mind, so you're going to do a day in jail for that on contempt. I'm going to continue your case until tomorrow morning. Your bond is $1,000, any way.
THE DEFENDANT: At ten percent?
THE COURT: Any way, but you're going to be doing a day anyway, so tomorrow we can take care of it. Now, listen to me, Mr. Dabney. If you got it on you it's going to be a felony when they strip you over there so I'll give you one last time to tell me if you have any unburnt marijuana on you. I'm giving you -- oh, ah-ha.
(Defendant pulled a bag of marijuana out of his pants.)
THE COURT: Okay. So finally you came clean. If there's anything else, this is your opportunity. We're going to destroy it. Are you sure?
(Defendant pulled another bag of marijuana out of his pants.)
THE COURT: Oh my lord. Anything else, I mean, because --
THE DEFENDANT: No.
THE COURT: Mr. Dabney, I'm telling you -- now why would you do that? Why would you bring that much pot to court?
THE DEFENDANT: I forgot it in my car, sir.
THE COURT: You forgot it in your underwear.
MR. MOORE: He said car, Judge.
THE COURT: Say what?
THE DEFENDANT: I don't know, sir.
THE COURT: You don't know. Well, I don't know why you would do that either.

MR. MOORE: Well, Judge, I mean, it's -- if he's impaired to the point that he can't take a plea, he's probably not thinking clearly.
THE COURT: Good point. Mr. Dabney, well, you know --
MR. DABNEY: Yes, sir.
THE COURT: You know what, I just want to tell you one thing. You know, at some point in your life all you have left is your word, okay, you know, and to be honest. You hear what I'm saying? You know, it's just so disappointing that, you know, you try to lie. I've been in court every day for 20 years as an assistant prosecutor, a magistrate, and a judge. And for you to think that I'm stupid and you're going to pull one over on me, I mean, that's just illogical. But you know what I appreciate in this courtroom is honesty, you know. If you can say I did something, I'm sorry, I learned from it, that goes a long way than no I didn't and lying, you know. So, I mean, you did come clean, but it took a little coaxing, but that's better than you getting charged with a felony for bringing drugs into the jail. You know what I'm saying? So I hope that you at least learned from this and can be honest in the future.
MR. MOORE: Judge, he might not realize it, but he appreciates you giving him the opportunity to get rid of it.
THE COURT: Okay. We'll see you tomorrow morning. You're in contempt doing a day. And then your bond is a $1,000.
Old 05-13-16, 03:56 PM   #282
DVD Talk God

The guy is obviously a danger to society and we should spend $50,000 a year to keep him in jail.

I laugh about states that pass MMJ but do it in some way "to keep you from getting high." Good lord, they ought to try that for valium and see how well that goes. It's like saying we'll only allow the sale of "O'Douls" from now on because you better not fucking enjoy this!

So stupid.

― Carl Sagan
Old 05-26-16, 02:17 PM   #283

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local...marijuana-bill

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) -- All that remains for medical marijuana legalization in Ohio is governor John Kasich's signature.

The Ohio House approved House Bill 523 Wednesday night (67-28), hours after the Senate passed passed it by an 18-15 vote.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 05-26-16, 02:38 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local...marijuana-bill

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) -- All that remains for medical marijuana legalization in Ohio is governor John Kasich's signature.

The Ohio House approved House Bill 523 Wednesday night (67-28), hours after the Senate passed passed it by an 18-15 vote.
If my very brief reading of the Bill is correct, employment discrimination won't be allowed, unlike if it were simply legal for everyone. Unfortunate.
Old 05-26-16, 05:06 PM   #285
DVD Talk God

Damn, might have to evaluate employees on their performance.

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-29-16, 08:29 PM   #286
DVD Talk Hero

Rauner finally agreed to decriminalize small amounts of pot - 10 grams or less.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...729-story.html
Old 06-14-17, 04:22 PM   #287
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Jeff Sessions really IS trying to go after medical marijauna:

Jeff Sessions personally asked Congress to let him prosecute medical-marijuana providers

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions is asking congressional leaders to undo federal medical-marijuana protections that have been in place since 2014, according to a May letter that became public Monday.

The protections, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, prohibit the Justice Department from using federal funds to prevent certain states "from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession or cultivation of medical marijuana."

In his letter, first obtained by Tom Angell of Massroots.com and verified independently by The Washington Post, Sessions argued that the amendment would "inhibit [the Justice Department's] authority to enforce the Controlled Substances Act."
Sounds like we are safe for now, as Congress did NOT undo that legislation. Pisses me off though, for sure.
Old 06-14-17, 04:45 PM   #288
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sessions knows he's wrong, but he doesn't care because $$$.
Old 06-14-17, 04:54 PM   #289
Time Lord

Sessions is a horrible human being. Medical marijuana is helping people all over the country deal with serious illnesses, plus it's totally fucking harmless when used recreationally. Can Mueller indict this asshole already?
Old 06-14-17, 09:34 PM   #290
DVD Talk Legend

"Totally harmless?"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marijuan...d-bad-unknown/

"Strong evidence links marijuana use to the risk of developing schizophrenia and other causes of psychosis, with the highest risk among the most frequent users."

One of several potentially-damaging effects associated with marijuana usage.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-14-17 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 09:47 PM   #291
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And as many athletes will tell you, far more effective and less damaging than the many FDA approved pain killers. Pain killers that are far more addictive and very far more damaging than marijuana.
Old 08-04-17, 12:01 PM   #292
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Senator Cory Booker is working on a bill to remove MJ from the list of controlled substances:

Quote:
Add your name to the Marijuana Justice Act, which will remove marijuana from the list of controlled substances and look to reverse the decades of failed policies that disproportionately target communities of color.
There's a petition, if you'd like to sign it.

https://pac.petitions.moveon.org/sig...&r_by=16046521