Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-17, 09:52 AM   #3601
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,331
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
Just wanted this to stand again.
Have you considered that the faith being discussed is faith that what the Bible proclaims to be true is actually true?

So the questions are "Faith in what?" and "What does faith mean?"

If the person is only saying, "I think that what I believe is correct, but I can't be sure," that sounds like pretty weak "faith," does it not?

If someone says, "I have faith that my spouse loves me, but I could be wrong," that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in their spouse's feelings for them.

On the other hand, if the person says, "I can't absolutely prove that my spouse loves me, but based upon my experience and the evidence, I absolutely believe that he/she does," that sounds more like what most people regard as faith.

The word faith is often used to be synonymous with belief. When people say that they have faith that Christ died for their sins and that they
have been forgiven," the usual interpretation of that statement is that they actually believe that to be a fact. Nowhere in the Bible when faith is discussed is it suggested that shaky opinions are given credence to be regarded as faith. The commands to repent and believe are unequivocal; they don't incorporate doubt and opinions or hedging of bets.

If a person asks you to borrow money and you agree but ask for collateral, how much "faith" does that demonstrate in your belief that the person will actually pay you back?

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-16-17 at 10:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 10:08 AM   #3602
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,331
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Re: everything being an "interpretation"...

When the Bible commands believers not to commit adultery, how many ways can that command be "interpreted?"

People can argue about what constitutes adultery and definitions, but once agreed-upon terms are established, does the command stand as "truth?" Or is that merely "an opinion?"

I know a former officer in the church who abandoned his wife and kids to move in with his former high school flame. When he refused to repent, he was excommunicated.

He has since joined a different denomination and remains convinced that he was absolutely justified in his actions and that God approves since "God wants him to be happy."

That's his interpretation and opinion. Does that make it a valid interpretation that should be respected by other believers?

As mentioned before, if what every person believes to be true is equally valid, then atheists are de facto Christians and Muslims are de facto Buddhists (since the terms no longer have any real meaning). When "the truth" is merely whatever any person proclaims it to be, the word "truth" ceases to have meaning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 11:17 AM   #3603
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Lt Ripley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,003
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

A bigot's faith.

This four thousand and eighty-third hand accounted book says I'm gunna get a reward! Ain't a shred of proof of it, but it sounds swell. Plus I get to be a bigot if I focus only on the parts I want to.

If a retard bigot says they have faith in something but that they could be wrong....they don't actually have faith.

Deep thoughts.
__________________
"To you." - The cowardly Invisible Man obsessionist
Tax churches. Now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 12:39 PM   #3604
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,331
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...ligion-behind/

Interesting article expressing opinions on why "nones" left religion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 04:36 AM   #3605
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 691
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
That is absolute horseshit. I'm not going to get into a detailed explanation of evolution, but there are a ton of books out there about it.
There are a ton of books out there showing the fallacies of macroevolution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 06:32 AM   #3606
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 31,082
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
There are a ton of books out there showing the fallacies of macroevolution.
There is tremendous misunderstanding about the purported difference between "microevolution" and "macroevolution." Some believe that "macroevolution" means a horse could give birth to a dog, or a monkey could give birth to a human. It's a silly oversimplification of the process of evolution.

Show me the peer-reviewed scientific papers/articles disproving evolution. From a respected scientific journal, not the Journal of Creation.
__________________
"...Bando...you are perfect and awesome." - 4KRG
"Bando 4 Prez" - DVD Polizei
"[Bando is] nowhere near as big a weasel as Ted Cruz" - dork
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 07:04 AM   #3607
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Lt Ripley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,003
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

There is reality. It shows jesus didn't ride dinosaurs.
__________________
"To you." - The cowardly Invisible Man obsessionist
Tax churches. Now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 08:29 AM   #3608
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,464
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
There are a ton of books out there showing the fallacies of macroevolution.
And there are just as many that show the fallacies of the Bible, but that won't stop you.
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 08:47 AM   #3609
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 8,951
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
And there are just as many that show the fallacies of the Bible, but that won't stop you.
Fake books. The whole lot of them.

Those trying to disprove evolution twist things much they are not even commenting on evolution by the end. And those supporting "Creation Science"? Please... It's pretty easy to respect anybody saying they have faith that the Bible is accurate, and that nobody can prove everything about the very beginning of life with 100% confidence. But making up "science" to prove the earth is less than 10,000 years old and that dinos co-exited with humans?

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-17-17 at 09:58 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 09:39 AM   #3610
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 51,976
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
There are a ton of books out there showing the fallacies of macroevolution.
Care to give us your thoughts on Master Dogs?
__________________
“Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
Check out my vinyl collection!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 09:50 AM   #3611
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,464
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Care to give us your thoughts on Master Dogs?
"If you take two core "master dogs" (for lack of a better term), those animals would have all the necessary DNA to produce a wide variety of dogs over time."
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 11:21 AM   #3612
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,563
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Care to give us your thoughts on Master Dogs?
Oh my god I miss "master dogs" so much
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 10:25 PM   #3613
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,331
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Oh my god I miss "master dogs" so much
And here we thought you were still a nonbeliever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 11:26 PM   #3614
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,563
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
And here we thought you were still a nonbeliever.
It was just an earlier season of ridiculous. Season 2 has been equally entertaining! Same plots though.
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 11:58 PM   #3615
DVD Talk Legend
 
creekdipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,331
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It was just an earlier season of ridiculous. Season 2 has been equally entertaining! Same plots though.
Actually, it was the appeal to your deity that identified you as a theist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 12:05 AM   #3616
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,563
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Actually, it was the appeal to your deity that identified you as a theist.
It's like saying "my dogs are barking" - you don't have dogs on your feet but you say it anyway. There is no God but gosh sounds like you're a bumpkin.
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 06:16 AM   #3617
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 691
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
There is tremendous misunderstanding about the purported difference between "microevolution" and "macroevolution." Some believe that "macroevolution" means a horse could give birth to a dog, or a monkey could give birth to a human. It's a silly oversimplification of the process of evolution.

Show me the peer-reviewed scientific papers/articles disproving evolution. From a respected scientific journal, not the Journal of Creation.
I've never heard anyone say such things about macroevolution, but if that is the case, you are citing the most extreme outlier for those who don't believe in macroevolution.

I must have missed when macroevolution was proven. Is macroevolution a testable, obersvable, repeatable theory that has been proven through science? have we witnessed a species give rise to another distinct species?

It takes a great leap of "faith" to believe in macroevolution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 06:41 AM   #3618
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 31,082
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

You have no idea how the scientific method works, and I'm not going to keep banging my head against the wall here.
__________________
"...Bando...you are perfect and awesome." - 4KRG
"Bando 4 Prez" - DVD Polizei
"[Bando is] nowhere near as big a weasel as Ted Cruz" - dork
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 06:48 AM   #3619
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Lt Ripley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,003
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

They are called theories. They search for more evidence of them. That is science. Ain't no faith there. Don't seem like the bigoted Fundies understand faith anyway.

Blows my mind that a cherry picker wouldn't hear about something scientific. Unfathomable.
__________________
"To you." - The cowardly Invisible Man obsessionist
Tax churches. Now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 08:16 AM   #3620
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,647
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
There are a ton of books out there showing the fallacies of macroevolution.
__________________
Xbox One Gamertag: SirMikael79
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 08:24 AM   #3621
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 8,951
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
You have no idea how the scientific method works, and I'm not going to keep banging my head against the wall here.
Didn't think it could get any worse than everything he posted regarding the "science" regarding transgender-ism. Sucks being wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 09:46 AM   #3622
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,569
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
There are a ton of books out there showing the fallacies of macroevolution.
There are thousands of tons of books (and scientific papers) out there showing the fallacies of your books.
__________________
-
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 10:53 AM   #3623
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,464
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Interesting & scary...

__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 04:15 AM   #3624
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 691
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
You have no idea how the scientific method works, and I'm not going to keep banging my head against the wall here.
So the Theory of Evolution has not been proven. Got it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 05:56 AM   #3625
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Lt Ripley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,003
Re: Brand-spanking New Atheist- & Christian-bashing thread

The amount of evidence supporting the theory of evolution:


The amount of evidence pointing towards creation:


That is why some people have faith. Being a piece of shit bigot is not a requirement of faith.
__________________
"To you." - The cowardly Invisible Man obsessionist
Tax churches. Now.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0