Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-16, 03:53 PM   #2251
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 53,855
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
good... we should all be optimistic with all those who arent just donating but doing the work they feel strongly for.
Oooh. so now donating money is trivial? You were bitching about Kap not taking any action...he took action by dontating...now that action is trivial.


Quote:
But again, the national anthem and flag portion (IMO)shouldnt have been the place for any protest. If anything, show unity between all, we all are in this and not just one class.
You clearly missed the whole point of doing it there. You're asking someone to pledge allegiance to symbols that not only represent FREEDOM and Apple Pie, but also oppression, Racism, etc. Like anything in this world there are Good and Bad with anything. Kap was focused on the Bad that the flag represents to MANY OF US in this particular case. But people twisted things into "he hates America/The men and Women of the Military". Which was utter BULLSHIT, a deflection, and a straight up fuckin' lie.
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 03:57 PM   #2252
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 53,855
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Got to love the irony of criticizing the way the Seahawks showed their support when just days before the cries were that people shouldn't be criticizing the way Kaep was protesting.
What's so hard to understand? Because people were, rightly so in some cases that didn't involve calling Kaepernick an N-word, also invoking their right to criticize...and that's what is happening here.
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-13-16 at 04:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 03:59 PM   #2253
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 53,855
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Yup, showing support with an empty gesture. Nothing challenges the status quo like locking arms and making people feel warm & fuzzy inside.
Meanwhile 4 members of the opposing team kneeled and are getting crap for it.
Too bad Muhammad Ali was in bad health and is no longer with us, I would have loved to hear his take on this.

The Seattle Seahawks Said Nothing : http://jezebel.com/the-seattle-seaha...ing-1786503469
Yep.

Harry Belefonte said it best in his support for Kaepernick.

__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 04:03 PM   #2254
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 20,886
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Oooh. so now donating money is trivial? You were bitching about Kap not taking any action...he took action by dontating...now that action is trivial.




You clearly missed the whole point of doing it there. You're asking someone to pledge allegiance to symbols that not only represent FREEDOM and Apple Pie, but also oppression, Racism, etc. Like anything in this world there are Good and Bad with anything. Kap was focused on the Bad that the flag represents to MANY OF US in this particular case. But people twisted things into "he hates America/The men and Women of the Military". Which was utter BULLSHIT, a deflection, and a straight up fuckin' lie.
see i rest my case... you twist my words around. I never named kap but you
did. good for you.

this is why i thought what you said was in full sarcasm. You want there to be a difference in opinion and just see anything done with no criticizm. Sorry but i have the right to do so. I said from the beginning he can do more than just sit which he did. I praise Colin for it.

Seahawks took it further by standing united and wanted to meet with officials. I praise them for that.

they both deserve praise. But you just want division.

you twisted my words as well. so you are just as the problem as them. This us against the world mentality will get no one no where.
__________________
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 04:05 PM   #2255
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,379
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

The only support the Seahawks showed was to whitey. All my alt-right friends are praising them for being patriotic and the exact opposite of "that asshole Kapirnick".
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 04:27 PM   #2256
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,419
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Some Fresno Unified parents are outraged over Superintendent Michael Hanson’s email to teachers last week that referenced “black and brown” students.

Julianna Portillo, a mother of three students in the district, said the email was out of line, and that someone in Hanson’s position should be more careful with their language. Portillo and others took to social media aiming to make Hanson’s email “go viral,” and are calling for his resignation.
If Ms. Portillo and cohorts spent as much time and energy on working and being involved with the children as being offended by "black, brown", the kids perhaps would not be lagging behind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 04:41 PM   #2257
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 53,855
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
If Ms. Portillo and cohorts spent as much time and energy on working and being involved with the children as being offended by "black, brown", the kids perhaps would not be lagging behind.
Maybe her child isn't in that group? Maybe her child is Straight A Student.
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 04:53 PM   #2258
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 31,415
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Maybe her child isn't in that group? Maybe her child is Straight A Student.
But the implication is that her child is a "minority" student, and they can't be at the tope of their class, can they?
__________________
"...Bando...you are perfect and awesome." - 4KRG
"Bando 4 Prez" - DVD Polizei
"[Bando is] nowhere near as big a weasel as Ted Cruz" - dork
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:08 PM   #2259
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 53,855
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
see i rest my case... you twist my words around. I never named kap but you
did. good for you.
Well, who else has recently and publicly pledged to donate money in relation to this issue? AND you mention him in the next part i'm quoting just below... So yeaaaaah, you kinda did name Kap... Good for you? Because it was definitely good for me.

Quote:

this is why i thought what you said was in full sarcasm. You want there to be a difference in opinion and just see anything done with no criticizm. Sorry but i have the right to do so. I said from the beginning he can do more than just sit which he did. I praise Colin for it.
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:39 PM   #2260
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,419
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
... "minority" student, and they can't be at the tope of their class, can they?
Have you met asian kids?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 06:50 PM   #2261
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,839
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Bring on the hate for the gay white woman.

Soccer player Megan Rapinoe kneels as 'nod to Kaepernick'

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...lin-kaepernick

There's also 11 little kids in orange kneeling. They should string those America haters up by their soccer balls.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-13-16 at 09:52 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 07:00 PM   #2262
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,839
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

The only part of this National Anthem controversy that offends me and makes me ashamed to be an American is the fact that we've spent so much time listening to the opinions of football players. Dumb fucking jocks that run into each other. Who cares?

These are the people who, when they aren't making trifling irrelevant protest attempts, routinely shoot themselves in the leg at nightclubs and attend dog fights and get arrested for climbing through the window at drive through restaurants.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-13-16 at 08:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 09:01 PM   #2263
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Signal Hill, CA
Posts: 3,013
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
There's also 11 little kids orange kneeling. They should string those America haters up by their soccer balls.
You neglected to mention the thousands and thousands of soccer fans who walked out of the stadium so that they wouldn't have to listen to the National Anthem.

Look at those empty stands!

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 07:55 AM   #2264
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 20,886
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The only part of this National Anthem controversy that offends me and makes me ashamed to be an American is the fact that we've spent so much time listening to the opinions of football players. Dumb fucking jocks that run into each other. Who cares?

These are the people who, when they aren't making trifling irrelevant protest attempts, routinely shoot themselves in the leg at nightclubs and attend dog fights and get arrested for climbing through the window at drive through restaurants.
again, i honestly think Colin K forget to stand for it and just came up with something that he wouldnt get shit on for.
__________________
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 09:25 AM   #2265
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,839
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....



As I've said:
Quote:
After the game during those stupid fucking press conferences where blithering reporters ask the QB inane questions about the game, he could use that time instead to speak about the political issue of his choice. As a QB he is given this spotlight forum every Sunday.
I suspect he doesn't do this because he's an ignoramus who would never be able to actually speak about the issue, so he does this display instead.

All these Muhammad Ali comparisons are annoying. Ali was eloquent and funny. He had a real opinion and could express himself with charm and charisma.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-14-16 at 09:31 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 09:47 AM   #2266
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 20,886
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post


As I've said:
I suspect he doesn't do this because he's an ignoramus who would never be able to actually speak about the issue, so he does this display instead.

All these Muhammad Ali comparisons are annoying. Ali was eloquent and funny. He had a real opinion and could express himself with charm and charisma.
I wonder if this would even happen if he was the starter.
__________________
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 09:49 AM   #2267
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,070
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

http://newsone.com/3536347/hypocriti...out-brutality/

Hypocritical NFL Fans Angry About Kaepernick Protest Boo President Obama & Remain Silent About Brutality

The NFL opened its 2016 season with solidarity and protests while honoring the victims of 9/11. The Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs locked arms during the National Anthem, while several other players from around the league knelt.

But during President Obama‘s pre-recorded remarks calling for unity, many NFL fans reportedly booed.

Roland Martin, host of NewsOne Now, addressed the schism, saying, “I find it interesting there are people mad at [Colin] Kaepernick for protesting, saying he’s unpatriotic … yet when the president of the United States gives a video [speech] talking about unity on 9/11, he gets booed and no one says anything.”

That behavior is unpatriotic and disrespectful, to say the least.

Craig Eugene, III, vice chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, added, “The same folk that are more outraged that Colin Kaepernick and others are protesting have been the same folk that have been disrespecting the president for the last eight years."

“It’s the same crowd that asked for his birth certificate, the same crowd that asked for his college transcripts, it’s the same crowd that’s probably backing Donald Trump.”

He added that Kaepernick’s critics prefer to bash the quarterback’s protest while remaining “silent on police brutality.”
Furthermore, he said naysayers like “to invoke Dr. King’s [name in contrast to Kaepernick], [but] if they actually go back to the 1963 ‘I Have A Dream’ speech, [King] clearly says, ‘We will never stop until police brutality ends.'”
__________________
If non violence is so fantastic, why isn't the state practicing it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 09:54 AM   #2268
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,612
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

It offends me because they've somehow turned the National Anthem into some sort of military thing. A person can not be happy about things that are going on in this country yet still respect the men and women who sign up to defend it. They are not mutually exclusive which we're trying to be forced to believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 10:39 AM   #2269
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,839
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
http://newsone.com/3536347/hypocriti...out-brutality/

Hypocritical NFL Fans Angry About Kaepernick Protest Boo President Obama & Remain Silent About Brutality

The NFL opened its 2016 season with solidarity and protests while honoring the victims of 9/11. The Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs locked arms during the National Anthem, while several other players from around the league knelt.

But during President Obama‘s pre-recorded remarks calling for unity, many NFL fans reportedly booed.

Roland Martin, host of NewsOne Now, addressed the schism, saying, “I find it interesting there are people mad at [Colin] Kaepernick for protesting, saying he’s unpatriotic … yet when the president of the United States gives a video [speech] talking about unity on 9/11, he gets booed and no one says anything.”

That behavior is unpatriotic and disrespectful, to say the least.

Craig Eugene, III, vice chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, added, “The same folk that are more outraged that Colin Kaepernick and others are protesting have been the same folk that have been disrespecting the president for the last eight years."

“It’s the same crowd that asked for his birth certificate, the same crowd that asked for his college transcripts, it’s the same crowd that’s probably backing Donald Trump.”

He added that Kaepernick’s critics prefer to bash the quarterback’s protest while remaining “silent on police brutality.”
Furthermore, he said naysayers like “to invoke Dr. King’s [name in contrast to Kaepernick], [but] if they actually go back to the 1963 ‘I Have A Dream’ speech, [King] clearly says, ‘We will never stop until police brutality ends.'”
This is the NFL not nascar. It's the most popular sports league in the solar system. It's fans can't be pigeonholed so easily. If they booed the president it simply speaks to his approval rating.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 10:42 AM   #2270
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 31,812
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
This is the NFL not nascar. It's the most popular sports league in the solar system.
If your definition of "the solar system" only includes the Anglophone portion of North America.
__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 10:47 AM   #2271
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 20,886
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It offends me because they've somehow turned the National Anthem into some sort of military thing. A person can not be happy about things that are going on in this country yet still respect the men and women who sign up to defend it. They are not mutually exclusive which we're trying to be forced to believe.
Yeah thats odd. But again, he made the national anthem his venue for this attention. Oh well...
__________________
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 10:49 AM   #2272
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 20,886
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
http://newsone.com/3536347/hypocriti...out-brutality/

Hypocritical NFL Fans Angry About Kaepernick Protest Boo President Obama & Remain Silent About Brutality

The NFL opened its 2016 season with solidarity and protests while honoring the victims of 9/11. The Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs locked arms during the National Anthem, while several other players from around the league knelt.

But during President Obama‘s pre-recorded remarks calling for unity, many NFL fans reportedly booed.

Roland Martin, host of NewsOne Now, addressed the schism, saying, “I find it interesting there are people mad at [Colin] Kaepernick for protesting, saying he’s unpatriotic … yet when the president of the United States gives a video [speech] talking about unity on 9/11, he gets booed and no one says anything.”

That behavior is unpatriotic and disrespectful, to say the least.

Craig Eugene, III, vice chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, added, “The same folk that are more outraged that Colin Kaepernick and others are protesting have been the same folk that have been disrespecting the president for the last eight years."

“It’s the same crowd that asked for his birth certificate, the same crowd that asked for his college transcripts, it’s the same crowd that’s probably backing Donald Trump.”

He added that Kaepernick’s critics prefer to bash the quarterback’s protest while remaining “silent on police brutality.”
Furthermore, he said naysayers like “to invoke Dr. King’s [name in contrast to Kaepernick], [but] if they actually go back to the 1963 ‘I Have A Dream’ speech, [King] clearly says, ‘We will never stop until police brutality ends.'”
Believe it or not, some people dont like Obama.
__________________
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 10:51 AM   #2273
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 11,839
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

I also think that fired up football fans, anxious for the kickoff, don't respond well when the announcer says, "And now a pre-recorded message from the President of the United States of America."

I'd boo too. It's like get on with the game already.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 11:03 AM   #2274
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 9,380
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the NFL games last Sunday all pretty much started on time despite all the extra pre-game stuff related to the anniversary of 9-11.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 11:05 AM   #2275
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 31,812
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the NFL games last Sunday all pretty much started on time despite all the extra pre-game stuff related to the anniversary of 9-11.
__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0