Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-13-16, 03:53 PM   #2251
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
good... we should all be optimistic with all those who arent just donating but doing the work they feel strongly for.
Oooh. so now donating money is trivial? You were bitching about Kap not taking any action...he took action by dontating...now that action is trivial.

Quote:
But again, the national anthem and flag portion (IMO)shouldnt have been the place for any protest. If anything, show unity between all, we all are in this and not just one class.
You clearly missed the whole point of doing it there. You're asking someone to pledge allegiance to symbols that not only represent FREEDOM and Apple Pie, but also oppression, Racism, etc. Like anything in this world there are Good and Bad with anything. Kap was focused on the Bad that the flag represents to MANY OF US in this particular case. But people twisted things into "he hates America/The men and Women of the Military". Which was utter BULLSHIT, a deflection, and a straight up fuckin' lie.
Old 09-13-16, 03:57 PM   #2252
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Got to love the irony of criticizing the way the Seahawks showed their support when just days before the cries were that people shouldn't be criticizing the way Kaep was protesting.
What's so hard to understand? Because people were, rightly so in some cases that didn't involve calling Kaepernick an N-word, also invoking their right to criticize...and that's what is happening here.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-13-16 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 03:59 PM   #2253
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Yup, showing support with an empty gesture. Nothing challenges the status quo like locking arms and making people feel warm & fuzzy inside.
Meanwhile 4 members of the opposing team kneeled and are getting crap for it.
Too bad Muhammad Ali was in bad health and is no longer with us, I would have loved to hear his take on this.

The Seattle Seahawks Said Nothing : http://jezebel.com/the-seattle-seaha...ing-1786503469
Yep.

Harry Belefonte said it best in his support for Kaepernick.

Old 09-13-16, 04:03 PM   #2254
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Oooh. so now donating money is trivial? You were bitching about Kap not taking any action...he took action by dontating...now that action is trivial.

You clearly missed the whole point of doing it there. You're asking someone to pledge allegiance to symbols that not only represent FREEDOM and Apple Pie, but also oppression, Racism, etc. Like anything in this world there are Good and Bad with anything. Kap was focused on the Bad that the flag represents to MANY OF US in this particular case. But people twisted things into "he hates America/The men and Women of the Military". Which was utter BULLSHIT, a deflection, and a straight up fuckin' lie.
see i rest my case... you twist my words around. I never named kap but you
did. good for you.

this is why i thought what you said was in full sarcasm. You want there to be a difference in opinion and just see anything done with no criticizm. Sorry but i have the right to do so. I said from the beginning he can do more than just sit which he did. I praise Colin for it.

Seahawks took it further by standing united and wanted to meet with officials. I praise them for that.

they both deserve praise. But you just want division.

you twisted my words as well. so you are just as the problem as them. This us against the world mentality will get no one no where.
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 09-13-16, 04:05 PM   #2255
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

The only support the Seahawks showed was to whitey. All my alt-right friends are praising them for being patriotic and the exact opposite of "that asshole Kapirnick".
Old 09-13-16, 04:27 PM   #2256
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Some Fresno Unified parents are outraged over Superintendent Michael Hanson’s email to teachers last week that referenced “black and brown” students.

Julianna Portillo, a mother of three students in the district, said the email was out of line, and that someone in Hanson’s position should be more careful with their language. Portillo and others took to social media aiming to make Hanson’s email “go viral,” and are calling for his resignation.
If Ms. Portillo and cohorts spent as much time and energy on working and being involved with the children as being offended by "black, brown", the kids perhaps would not be lagging behind.
Old 09-13-16, 04:41 PM   #2257
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
If Ms. Portillo and cohorts spent as much time and energy on working and being involved with the children as being offended by "black, brown", the kids perhaps would not be lagging behind.
Maybe her child isn't in that group? Maybe her child is Straight A Student.
Old 09-13-16, 04:53 PM   #2258
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Maybe her child isn't in that group? Maybe her child is Straight A Student.
But the implication is that her child is a "minority" student, and they can't be at the tope of their class, can they?
Old 09-13-16, 05:08 PM   #2259
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
see i rest my case... you twist my words around. I never named kap but you
did. good for you.
Well, who else has recently and publicly pledged to donate money in relation to this issue? AND you mention him in the next part i'm quoting just below... So yeaaaaah, you kinda did name Kap... Good for you? Because it was definitely good for me.

Quote:

this is why i thought what you said was in full sarcasm. You want there to be a difference in opinion and just see anything done with no criticizm. Sorry but i have the right to do so. I said from the beginning he can do more than just sit which he did. I praise Colin for it.
Old 09-13-16, 05:39 PM   #2260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
... "minority" student, and they can't be at the tope of their class, can they?
Have you met asian kids?
Old 09-13-16, 06:50 PM   #2261
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Bring on the hate for the gay white woman.

Soccer player Megan Rapinoe kneels as 'nod to Kaepernick'

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...lin-kaepernick

There's also 11 little kids in orange kneeling. They should string those America haters up by their soccer balls.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-13-16 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 07:00 PM   #2262
DVD Talk Legend

The only part of this National Anthem controversy that offends me and makes me ashamed to be an American is the fact that we've spent so much time listening to the opinions of football players. Dumb fucking jocks that run into each other. Who cares?

These are the people who, when they aren't making trifling irrelevant protest attempts, routinely shoot themselves in the leg at nightclubs and attend dog fights and get arrested for climbing through the window at drive through restaurants.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-13-16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 09:01 PM   #2263

Quote:
There's also 11 little kids orange kneeling. They should string those America haters up by their soccer balls.
You neglected to mention the thousands and thousands of soccer fans who walked out of the stadium so that they wouldn't have to listen to the National Anthem.

Look at those empty stands!

Old 09-14-16, 07:55 AM   #2264
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The only part of this National Anthem controversy that offends me and makes me ashamed to be an American is the fact that we've spent so much time listening to the opinions of football players. Dumb fucking jocks that run into each other. Who cares?

These are the people who, when they aren't making trifling irrelevant protest attempts, routinely shoot themselves in the leg at nightclubs and attend dog fights and get arrested for climbing through the window at drive through restaurants.
again, i honestly think Colin K forget to stand for it and just came up with something that he wouldnt get shit on for.
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 09-14-16, 09:25 AM   #2265
DVD Talk Legend

As I've said:
Quote:
After the game during those stupid fucking press conferences where blithering reporters ask the QB inane questions about the game, he could use that time instead to speak about the political issue of his choice. As a QB he is given this spotlight forum every Sunday.
I suspect he doesn't do this because he's an ignoramus who would never be able to actually speak about the issue, so he does this display instead.

All these Muhammad Ali comparisons are annoying. Ali was eloquent and funny. He had a real opinion and could express himself with charm and charisma.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-14-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 09:47 AM   #2266
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

As I've said:
I suspect he doesn't do this because he's an ignoramus who would never be able to actually speak about the issue, so he does this display instead.

All these Muhammad Ali comparisons are annoying. Ali was eloquent and funny. He had a real opinion and could express himself with charm and charisma.
I wonder if this would even happen if he was the starter.
Old 09-14-16, 09:49 AM   #2267
DVD Talk Hero

http://newsone.com/3536347/hypocriti...out-brutality/

Hypocritical NFL Fans Angry About Kaepernick Protest Boo President Obama & Remain Silent About Brutality

The NFL opened its 2016 season with solidarity and protests while honoring the victims of 9/11. The Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs locked arms during the National Anthem, while several other players from around the league knelt.

But during President Obama‘s pre-recorded remarks calling for unity, many NFL fans reportedly booed.

Roland Martin, host of NewsOne Now, addressed the schism, saying, “I find it interesting there are people mad at [Colin] Kaepernick for protesting, saying he’s unpatriotic … yet when the president of the United States gives a video [speech] talking about unity on 9/11, he gets booed and no one says anything.”

That behavior is unpatriotic and disrespectful, to say the least.

Craig Eugene, III, vice chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, added, “The same folk that are more outraged that Colin Kaepernick and others are protesting have been the same folk that have been disrespecting the president for the last eight years."

“It’s the same crowd that asked for his birth certificate, the same crowd that asked for his college transcripts, it’s the same crowd that’s probably backing Donald Trump.”

He added that Kaepernick’s critics prefer to bash the quarterback’s protest while remaining “silent on police brutality.”
Furthermore, he said naysayers like “to invoke Dr. King’s [name in contrast to Kaepernick], [but] if they actually go back to the 1963 ‘I Have A Dream’ speech, [King] clearly says, ‘We will never stop until police brutality ends.'”
Old 09-14-16, 09:54 AM   #2268
DVD Talk Legend

It offends me because they've somehow turned the National Anthem into some sort of military thing. A person can not be happy about things that are going on in this country yet still respect the men and women who sign up to defend it. They are not mutually exclusive which we're trying to be forced to believe.
Old 09-14-16, 10:39 AM   #2269
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Hypocritical NFL Fans Angry About Kaepernick Protest Boo President Obama & Remain Silent About Brutality

The NFL opened its 2016 season with solidarity and protests while honoring the victims of 9/11. The Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs locked arms during the National Anthem, while several other players from around the league knelt.

But during President Obama‘s pre-recorded remarks calling for unity, many NFL fans reportedly booed.

Roland Martin, host of NewsOne Now, addressed the schism, saying, “I find it interesting there are people mad at [Colin] Kaepernick for protesting, saying he’s unpatriotic … yet when the president of the United States gives a video [speech] talking about unity on 9/11, he gets booed and no one says anything.”

Craig Eugene, III, vice chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, added, “The same folk that are more outraged that Colin Kaepernick and others are protesting have been the same folk that have been disrespecting the president for the last eight years."

“It’s the same crowd that asked for his birth certificate, the same crowd that asked for his college transcripts, it’s the same crowd that’s probably backing Donald Trump.”

He added that Kaepernick’s critics prefer to bash the quarterback’s protest while remaining “silent on police brutality.”
Furthermore, he said naysayers like “to invoke Dr. King’s [name in contrast to Kaepernick], [but] if they actually go back to the 1963 ‘I Have A Dream’ speech, [King] clearly says, ‘We will never stop until police brutality ends.'”
This is the NFL not nascar. It's the most popular sports league in the solar system. It's fans can't be pigeonholed so easily. If they booed the president it simply speaks to his approval rating.
Old 09-14-16, 10:42 AM   #2270

Quote:
This is the NFL not nascar. It's the most popular sports league in the solar system.
If your definition of "the solar system" only includes the Anglophone portion of North America.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 09-14-16, 10:47 AM   #2271
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It offends me because they've somehow turned the National Anthem into some sort of military thing. A person can not be happy about things that are going on in this country yet still respect the men and women who sign up to defend it. They are not mutually exclusive which we're trying to be forced to believe.
Yeah thats odd. But again, he made the national anthem his venue for this attention. Oh well...
Old 09-14-16, 10:49 AM   #2272
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Believe it or not, some people dont like Obama.
Old 09-14-16, 10:51 AM   #2273
DVD Talk Legend

I also think that fired up football fans, anxious for the kickoff, don't respond well when the announcer says, "And now a pre-recorded message from the President of the United States of America."

I'd boo too. It's like get on with the game already.
Old 09-14-16, 11:03 AM   #2274
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the NFL games last Sunday all pretty much started on time despite all the extra pre-game stuff related to the anniversary of 9-11.
Old 09-14-16, 11:05 AM   #2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the NFL games last Sunday all pretty much started on time despite all the extra pre-game stuff related to the anniversary of 9-11.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)