Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-06-14, 11:03 AM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
And you're onto one of the major reasons why Democrats lost a few seats this time around: Denial. They have a serious lack of addressing issues directly with its voter base. Instead, their solution is to sing songs, be Green, buy recycled panties, drive a Prius, put solar panels on your house, and the world will be a better place. La la la.
There are many reasons why the Democrats did so poorly on Tuesday, but approximately zero of them have anything to do with any of what you're talking about.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 11-06-14, 11:04 AM   #102
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
There are many reasons why the Democrats did so poorly on Tuesday, but approximately zero of them have anything to do with any of what you're talking about.
What do you believe the reason(s) that Democrats did so poorly Tuesday?
Old 11-06-14, 11:22 AM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
What do you believe the reason(s) that Democrats did so poorly Tuesday?
Too many moderates, not enough centrists.
Old 11-06-14, 11:24 AM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The Chinese were seriously used and abused in the US, but nobody seems to address it. It seems only Black folks can have a historically relevant tragedy. Well, that's wrong....
I guess that a group of people who came here on their own can be compared to another that were brought in chains by force and the same outcome should be expected. How about them Native Americans, why aren't they prosperous? BTW, we need more Asians stopped & frisked by the police.

- Machiavelli

Last edited by inri222; 11-06-14 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-06-14, 11:24 AM   #105
DVD Talk God

Quote:
1. Obama

2. Too many who were too far to the left.

Old 11-06-14, 11:32 AM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Obama was part of the reason, but no more than in any second-term midterm. Compare the Republicans' gains this year to the Democrats in 1986 or 2006 and you will see remarkable similarity. If anything, the Democrats' problem was that they distanced themselves from Obama, turning off the base. Triangulating doesn't work in an era of intense partisan identification, and no voter, when faced with a choice between a proud Republican and a sheepish Democrat who is trying to sell himself as Republicanesque, is going to pick the Democrat.

But more than anything, regardless of personalities or individual strategies in particular races, this election was structurally wired for the Republicans to win. They pretty much needed to screw up in order for the Democrats to do well, and they didn't really screw up many races this year.
Old 11-06-14, 11:43 AM   #107
DVD Talk God

I did vote for one winner Tuesday - and, he is a Republican.
Old 11-06-14, 12:41 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I did vote for one winner Tuesday - and, he is a Republican.
Old 11-06-14, 02:51 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
So you're saying democrats were in touch with their voters?

You're the best example of what I said earlier.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 11-06-14, 03:00 PM   #110

Quote:
And you're onto one of the major reasons why Democrats lost a few seats this time around: Denial.
The Democrats lost seats because the party that controls the White House almost always loses seats in off-year elections. Trying to add narrative beyond that is ridiculous.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-06-14, 03:01 PM   #111
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
It is a bigger problem than just your common run of the mill racists. How do you address the systemic racism and racial priviledge that is being perpetuated by people who are not even aware of it or do not believe it exists?

x10000
Old 11-06-14, 04:32 PM   #112
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't speak for all Blacks. But I will acknowledge some things in the Black communities:

1. Yes. The Black Family structure seems to be non-existent. This may contribute to high crime rates in our communities.
2. Yes. There are many unwed Mothers in in our communities. This again may contribute to high crime rates.
3. Yes. For many Blacks the emphasis on education is not nearly as rigid and is not beat into the heads of their children like other cultures do. This again may contribute to high crime in our communities.
4. Yes. There probably is too much dependance on the Government and the Democratic party in the Black community. This again may contribute to high crime and low self esteem in our communities.
5. Yes. There is Black on Black crime.

So now that we got that out of the way....
Old 11-06-14, 04:47 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

I refuse to believe black men have self esteem issues.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 11-06-14, 06:54 PM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The problem is that we as whites refuse to take ownership of our role whether we personally have a hand in it or not.
As my ancestors on my father's side were English, I apologize to the Irish, African, Indian, Scottish, French, & Spanish folks who were exploited by my ancestors. Oh, and to the American colonists' descendants, too.

As my ancestors on my mother's side were Prussian, the line forms at the rear.

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-06-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 06:56 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Absolutely. There are great studies that find that ethnic names get culled from the application process quite frequently. It is a huge problem.
That's "Appalachian process", thank ye kindly.
Old 11-06-14, 09:32 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I don't speak for all Blacks. But I will acknowledge some things in the Black communities:

1. Yes. The Black Family structure seems to be non-existent. This may contribute to high crime rates in our communities.
2. Yes. There are many unwed Mothers in in our communities. This again may contribute to high crime rates.
3. Yes. For many Blacks the emphasis on education is not nearly as rigid and is not beat into the heads of their children like other cultures do. This again may contribute to high crime in our communities.
4. Yes. There probably is too much dependance on the Government and the Democratic party in the Black community. This again may contribute to high crime and low self esteem in our communities.
5. Yes. There is Black on Black crime.

So now that we got that out of the way....
Whites have similar issues, and what I find troubling, is they don't have many role models these days, and what ones they do have...aren't necessarily the types that scream "balanced". We have the dumbest reality television shows to date, and all I hear is the same repeated phrases from those shows at work, in the grocery store, and even on other shows. There's no (or little) unique thought.

I also find it disturbing that low income Whites tend to spend the most on holiday celebrations, and treat them like they were happening only once every 100 years. Hello people, these fucking holidays are every year, and stop wasting your cash on the best China-made Halloween decorations, Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations, please. Spend that money on your kids.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 11-11-14, 08:20 AM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 11-11-14, 08:29 AM   #118
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
As my ancestors on my father's side were English, I apologize to the Irish, African, Indian, Scottish, French, & Spanish folks who were exploited by my ancestors. Oh, and to the American colonists' descendants, too.

As my ancestors on my mother's side were Prussian, the line forms at the rear.
Thanks for trivializing American slavery - the usual response of someone that doesn't get it.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 11-11-14, 08:33 AM   #119
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Race is a tricky thing to talk about honestly when you are a white guy seeking to understand other people better. I live in a predominantly African American part of Omaha and it has given my wife and I many opportunities to talk with our kids about how to treat and talk to others. Our kids have defiantly asked questions that our neighbors could have taken the wrong way and been offended by it, but our neighbors generally understand that kids don't have a filter. The tricky part for adults is that there are cultural references and history that you just don't know anything about, so you want to ask questions about it to better understand why people act differently than you. But there is a fear that you might be misunderstood or come off sounding insensitive/racist, so it is easier just to not ask or interact. I will say that in my experience, most black folk are pretty good at knowing the difference between a person who genuinely wants to understand something they don't know about and someone who is a prick.
Well, one could educate themselves by reading or taking a class or two in college. Then, you'd at least get by the stupid questions. I was required to take "Multicultural Issues" in grad school. Glad I did.

Old 11-11-14, 08:36 AM   #120
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
The highest out of wedlock birth rate amoung any group would be problem #1. Lack of educational advancement stems from that. Lack of income equality stems from the educational advancement. Higher proportion of crime rates come from the broken home rate and lack of education.

None of the connections are exactly 1:1, but they are linked.
Oh please. I had a single mother. Millions of people have single mothers and turn out just fine. The issue is way more complicated than just "marriage".

Old 11-11-14, 10:25 AM   #121
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Whites have similar issues, and what I find troubling, is they don't have many role models these days, and what ones they do have...aren't necessarily the types that scream "balanced". We have the dumbest reality television shows to date, and all I hear is the same repeated phrases from those shows at work, in the grocery store, and even on other shows. There's no (or little) unique thinking.
Good points. I think part of the problem is that regardless of class status many parents treat education and discipline solely as the school systems responsibility. I see more parents concerned with buying their kids the latest fashion then they are with paying for a tutor.

Materialism, self-image and social status is heavily promoted in the media.
Old 11-11-14, 10:28 AM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Good points. I think part of the problem is that regardless of class status many parents treat education and discipline solely as the school systems responsibility. I see more parents concerned with buying their kids the latest fashion then they are with paying for a tutor.

Materialism, self-image and social status is heavily promoted in the media.
Well, if you have a consumer driven economy, you have to push that.
Old 11-11-14, 10:33 AM   #123
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Well, one could educate themselves by reading or taking a class or two in college. Then, you'd at least get by the stupid questions. I was required to take "Multicultural Issues" in grad school. Glad I did.
I took intercultural studies, probably the same thing. It was an interesting class but the teacher said things like non-whites can't be racist. Lies My Teacher Told Me was one of the required books.

But yeah, good suggestion. You get exposed to all kinds of different viewpoints, cultures, people, history...
Old 11-11-14, 11:33 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Thanks for trivializing American slavery - the usual response of someone that doesn't get it.
Hey, thanks for trivializing every other oppressed group throughout history through selective outrage. Sounds as though you need to read "Guns, Germs, and Steel." Perhaps you should start at the top & aim your criticism the POTUS, who famously declared that we live in a "post-racial society."

You are the one who "doesn't get" that all races have been oppressed at various points in history (often simultaneously), but most people don't hang onto it & use it as an excuse for every failure. When someone non-white person speaking no English can come here on a raft and ten years later be the owner of his/her own business, it's hard to sympathize with those who have advantages afforded by society yet manage to stay mired in self-defeating life-cycles such as disregard for educational opportunities, lack of two-parent homes, high birth rate among unemployed, etc.

But the apologists and enablers will continue to fuel the culture of victimhood...along with those who benefit from keeping people subservient and dependent.

Quote:
What was your major?
Old 11-11-14, 11:41 AM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Oh please. I had a single mother. Millions of people have single mothers and turn out just fine. The issue is way more complicated than just "marriage".
So you are suggesting that LeBron James just succeeded due to lucky stroke of fortune rather than merit? And that he had to fight institutionalized racism every step of the way?

One can be sensitive to the fact that racial attitudes in the past posed a formidable barrier to competent people from non-white societies (watch "The Knick" for a fine example). But one can also see the success of many people from non-white cultures in current times from qualified non-white people and to see some using past discrimination as excuses for current failures.