Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-12-17, 11:04 PM   #3601
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Grundle's comments are disgusting, and I hope he gets banned, but who cares?

Trump's response is beyond repulsive. I am so done with that asshole. I am counting the days until he gets the fuck out of the White House.
I do agree that no one should care about the individual Grundle, but it's the Army of Grundles who are having this conversation across the internet who keep this kind of shit going and help keep President Grundle in power.
Old 08-12-17, 11:16 PM   #3602
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I do agree that no one should care about the individual Grundle, but it's the Army of Grundles who are having this conversation across the internet who keep this kind of shit going and help keep President Grundle in power.
Sure, but let's not spend our discussion on one minion and forget about their leader.
Old 08-12-17, 11:19 PM   #3603
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Hate crime? Fuck that. I want him tried as a terrorist, starting with sending him to Gitmo NOW. Trump wants to keep it open, I say we have a new resident.
I assume you're joking. But Gitmo's purpose is to act as a place to indefinitely detain complicated cases and circumvent US laws. Cases that would often result in the defendants release, due to lack of evidence or the way they were arrested. And people we feel we need to interrogate.

This guy clearly killed 1 and injured 19 others. Process it as a hate crime. Give him life. Send a message to the rest of the nutjobs that it's not acceptable to let your emotions take over and act on your vile rhetoric (same goes for the asshole who shot up Republicans at that baseball game). As evident today, the racists, KKK, alt-right types no longer feel the need to wear hoods. We know who they are. Suppressing their free speech rights would be un-American. This is America ... you're allowed to be a vile dirtbag (just look at our POTUS). But it's not legal to physically hurt people.
Old 08-12-17, 11:20 PM   #3604
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I voted for Gary Johnson.
Old 08-12-17, 11:24 PM   #3605
DVD Talk Legend

James Alex Fields is an evil scumbag. I hope he gets prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

The woman whom Fields murdered was crossing the street, which is 100%, completely, perfectly legal.

R.I.P.
Old 08-12-17, 11:30 PM   #3606
DVD Talk Legend

Conspiracy theories are so easy...

How do we know grundle isn't colluding with Soros or Kochs. Also, IB is probably owned by leftists who keep this 99% anti-Trump forum running. I have a toothache. Is my dentist using fillings to spy on me?
Old 08-12-17, 11:35 PM   #3607
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-12-17, 11:39 PM   #3608
DVD Talk Legend

Today might have been a turning point (even if only a small one). Not the one David Duke expected, though. I would hope a turning point away from alt-right's bullshit.
Old 08-12-17, 11:46 PM   #3609
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post

Apologies, the degree to which you can go fuck yourself lowers from 100 to 97.
Old 08-13-17, 12:17 AM   #3610
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For months the plumbing was great in this forum, but it looks like we have a problem as the sewage is starting to back up into here.
Old 08-13-17, 12:22 AM   #3611
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Well, gosh, that makes all the repugnant bullshit you post totes okay, then.
Old 08-13-17, 01:32 AM   #3612
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I was watching a YouTube video interview of Spencer, by a young, bi-racial millennial who criticizes some liberal view points. I watched a few of her early videos and thought she made some good points, and then I saw her softball interview with Spencer and I was like, WTF? She goes in on liberals/progressives who she believes have prejudiced/racist arguments/beliefs, but then plays nice with Richard Spencer.
Is that the girl that calls herself "Roaming Millennial"? If so... yeah... she's pretty terrible. She probably "means well" like so many others, but without the willingness to call Spencer on his bullshit, that interview did nothing but give him more legitimacy to those who don't see him for what he really is.
Old 08-13-17, 03:01 AM   #3613
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Is that the girl that calls herself "Roaming Millennial"? If so... yeah... she's pretty terrible. She probably "means well" like so many others, but without the willingness to call Spencer on his bullshit, that interview did nothing but give him more legitimacy to those who don't see him for what he really is.
Yeah.
I can't see that she "means well," as in, she just wants to have a fair discussion with everyone and anyone, in spite of the consequences. Spencer is not subtle at all with his beliefs.
I can only assume that she sympathizes with him and the Alt-Right, or she's cynically just trying to create a market for herself, a self-identified millennial who surprisingly, is conservative. It's a novelty, just like a conservative flamboyant British homosexual who supports Trump and calls him "daddy," or a young transgender woman who criticizes the LGBT community, feminism, and the idea that gender is a social construct.

Last edited by brayzie; 08-13-17 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 03:07 AM   #3614
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I assume you're joking. But Gitmo's purpose is to act as a place to indefinitely detain complicated cases and circumvent US laws.
So you know, yes I was joking about the Gitmo part, but not the trying him as a terrorist part.
Old 08-13-17, 05:49 AM   #3615
DVD Talk Legend

That's really disappointing about "Roaming Millennial." I had enjoyed some of her other videos in the past.

But I just watched the very beginning of her interview with Spencer, and she seems to have no problem with him calling himself an "identitarian," which is just another word for white nationalist Nazi KKK.

What a shame.

And the comments too. They defend Spencer. What a shame there too.
Old 08-13-17, 05:55 AM   #3616
DVD Talk Legend

Hate crime that didn't make national news but was local front-page story:

http://www.timesnews.net/Local/2017/...commented&lp=2

Summary: Trucker making final run before retirement killed by teenager while checking leaking tire. Teen had long rap sheet for burglaries; trucker apparently obeyed commands to hand over wallet & valuables.
Old 08-13-17, 06:04 AM   #3617
DVD Talk Legend

Washington Journal (C-Span) topic on call-in show today (just beginning now at 7:03 AM EST) is about white nationalist rally turning deadly.

Phone lines divided by Rep., Dem, Ind, and Charlottesville residents.

Link to program (also archived on site for later viewing in video library):

https://www.c-span.org/video/?432424...n-journal&live
Old 08-13-17, 06:19 AM   #3618
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Racist beat black man during the charlottesville clan rally.
http://www.theroot.com/white-suprema...lot-1797790092

The site says police weren't there but you see some armor guys in the background. Could be nazis in gear I guess.
Old 08-13-17, 06:26 AM   #3619
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
For months the plumbing was great in this forum, but it looks like we have a problem as the sewage is starting to back up into here.
Dude this place has a problem with being an echo chamber. What grundle has been muttering isnt awesome, but damn this place needs more, dare i say it, diversity of thought. If you dont toe the line you get dogpiled and ridiculed incessantly here.
Old 08-13-17, 06:27 AM   #3620
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also: be careful of who you praise and/or label "alt-right"

http://archive.is/WsEVY
Old 08-13-17, 07:35 AM   #3621
DVD Talk Legend

^ ^ ^

I don't agree with all of grundle's postings, either, but I fail to see what he has done that deserves people expressing a desire to see him "banned," either (other than posting opinions they don't like). It seems that there is a strong desire on the part of some to control the content of the posts so that it reflects their views...the "tree clubhouse" syndrome.

And, ironically, that mindset reflects the very "fascist" views those same posters say that they deplore (in others ). It's like Gov. McCauliffe's statements in which he not only told white nationalist protesters to go home while condemning their views but went farther and said that there was "no place in America" for them (the people, not just their views). He also curiously told them to "take their racism and bigotry" with them while adding that they need to spend their time "helping others." First of all, does he really expect them to do that? Secondly, does he expect them to listen to his advice after he had addressed them with derogatory terms?

If you're actually trying to persuade people and not just hate on them, you can condemn their views while allowing them their right as Americans to protest...and without telling them to get out of the country. That doesn't seem to be reaching out optimistically to desire change. And it certainly doesn't echo Pres. Obama's statement that, just as people can be taught to hate, they also can be taught to love.
Old 08-13-17, 07:40 AM   #3622
DVD Talk Legend

Something that isn't being discussed is the purpose of "counter-protests." C-Span aired footage of the protests, and I was surprised to see counter-protesters armed with long sticks walking alongside the white nationalists. And I saw counter-protesters throwing water bottles and other trash across barriers to strike nationalist protesters.

What's the purpose of having counter-protests in the vicinity of your political opponents? Wouldn't it be better (and more peaceful) to stage your counter-rally either at a different locale or a different time?

Aside from the increased publicity, what's to be gained from direct public confrontations with opponents in such volatile situations?
Old 08-13-17, 07:51 AM   #3623
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

"Why can't I spew racist rhetoric without being told how wrong I am! Such an echo chamber! I'm going to go back to the_donald and 4chan/pol/, where people agree with everything I say!"

Also
Old 08-13-17, 08:12 AM   #3624
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
It'd be a longer game. On current course, Trump is destroying conservatism and Republicanism. Another 3.5 years of this, and I'm not really sure what it's going to mean to be a Republican. If this is going to happen 8+ more times, I don't know what people will tolerate. Remember - Republicans are Republicans. Trump is a ... casual or passive infiltration. His rhetoric really belongs in a third party. But he elbowed his way in during the primaries. So here we are. In a way, he's a gift to progressive liberalism. We're seeing the Republican fantasy in action (house, senate, businessman outsider POTUS). When it crashes, it's going to crash hard.

Clinton, Bush W, and Obama were moderates and sensible politicians. If it weren't for the Tea-Party/Alt-Right infiltration in 2010, Obama wouldn't have experienced the ongoing obstructionism. The Trump administration is an experiment in disruption and extremism.
I disagree. The Trump administration is the perfecting culmination of Republican/Conservatism ideals. He took it to its logical conclusion. He embodies every stereotype that has been leveled against Conservative/Republicans... and they ate it up. There were 63+ million people who voted for that. Even if you subtract 20 million of those as people who were "never Hillary", that still leaves 43 million on record as supporting him... and a proportionate amount of people who didn't vote but agree with him.

I can't find one Republican citizen who can identify a "true Republican" who is in office. Everybody is a RINO to them.

I also disagree that Clinton, Bush W, and Obama were moderates and sensible politicians. They are all morally bankrupt... Trump has defined deviancy down and so in contrast they look good.

THAT is perhaps the greatest impact that President Trump will have on this country... making what was once viewed as corrupt to now appear virtuous.
Old 08-13-17, 08:12 AM   #3625
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Oops! Nevermind, guyz. He couldn't be a racist. You see,

/s