Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-12-17, 07:49 PM   #3576
DVD Talk Legend

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Info on the driver from The Washington Post:
That's the same guy that I was referring to in this post, which means that the amateur sleuths were correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Some people have traced the license plate to a certain person, but that person may not have been the driver. The car could have been stolen. The license plate could have been stolen. The car may have been sold to a new owner.

Hopefully, the media will report the name of the actual driver who was arrested.
Old 08-12-17, 07:50 PM   #3577
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
What about the sidewalk would have protected them from a homicidal driver? The curb? Are you that naive?
If the driver had driven on the sidewalk, then nothing would have protected them.

But I still support "safe protesting" just as I support "safe sex."
Old 08-12-17, 07:52 PM   #3578
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
If the driver had driven on the sidewalk, then nothing would have protected them.

THIS WASNT AN ACCIDENT. THE PROTESTORS WERE TARGETED BY THE DRIVER. The fact they were in the street was MEANINGLESS and it's victim-blaming and pathetic to even discuss it.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-12-17, 07:56 PM   #3579
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully McCain is not just playing the politician in this, but it seems like it's from the heart:

https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public...harlottesville

Quote:
“Our Founders fought a revolution for the idea that all men are created equal. The heirs of that revolution fought a Civil War to save our nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to that revolutionary proposition.

Nothing less is at stake on the streets of Charlottesville, Virginia, where a violent attack has taken at least one American life and injured many others in a confrontation between our better angels and our worst demons.

“White supremacists and neo-Nazis are, by definition, opposed to American patriotism and the ideals that define us as a people and make our nation special.

“As we mourn the tragedy that has occurred in Charlottesville, American patriots of all colors and creeds must come together to defy those who raise the flag of hatred and bigotry.”
Old 08-12-17, 07:56 PM   #3580
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho View Post
quit while your ahead grundle.
ok.
Old 08-12-17, 07:57 PM   #3581
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
THIS WASNT AN ACCIDENT. THE PROTESTORS WERE TARGETED BY THE DRIVER. The fact they were in the street was MEANINGLESS and it's victim-blaming and pathetic to even discuss it.
But the sidewalk!

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-12-17, 08:00 PM   #3582
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
In this picture, what I see is a bunch of people standing in the street blocking traffic.

I've said before that people should do their protesting on the sidewalk, not in the street.
Fuck that ignorant shit.
Old 08-12-17, 08:07 PM   #3583
Admin-Self Banned

via Imgflip Meme Generator

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-12-17, 08:09 PM   #3584
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to tip my hand too much, but can people please stop quoting other people? I thought I had Paul Anka's guarantee. "Just don't look. Just don't look..."
Old 08-12-17, 08:13 PM   #3585
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I can think of two people I wish had practiced safe sex.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 08-12-17, 08:24 PM   #3586
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Quit while your ahead grundle.
Could you not give Grundle the impression that he was anywhere but drowning in a river of shit of his own making?
Old 08-12-17, 08:25 PM   #3587
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
When you try to victim blame, you diminish what happened. That makes the alt-right stronger.
It's pretty obvious that's his goal.

Quote:
It's fucking pathetic.
This is also pretty obvious.
Old 08-12-17, 08:27 PM   #3588
DVD Talk Legend

Link

Quote:
CNN)The suspect being held in a Virginia jail in connection with a deadly crash near a scheduled rally of white nationalists has been identified as James Alex Fields Jr., 20, of Maumee, Ohio, according to Superintendent Martin Kumer with the Albermarle-Charlottesville County Regional Jail .

Fields is being held on suspicion of second-degree murder, malicious wounding and failure to stop in an accident that resulted in death.

One person died and 19 were injured Saturday when a car rammed a crowd of counterprotesters gathered to oppose a "Unite the Right" rally of white nationalist and other right-wing groups.

Charlottesville Police Chief Al Thomas said the suspect was taken into custody not far from the crash site.
Thomas told reporters a 32-year-old woman was killed while she was crossing the street. Her name was not released.

"What the world saw today is not the place Charlottesville is," Thomas said of the violence that preceded the scheduled rally. "We love our city. Let us heal. This is not our story. Outsiders do not tell our story. We will tell our own story."

Police said only that the crash is under investigation and have not commented on specific aspects of the crash.
Being treated as a homicide and killed while crossing the street. The cops don't agree with grundle.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-12-17, 08:59 PM   #3589

Quote:
In this picture, what I see is a bunch of people standing in the street blocking traffic.

I've said before that people should do their protesting on the sidewalk, not in the street.
Remember when you were banned for a really long time? That was awesome.
Old 08-12-17, 09:02 PM   #3590
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Wow, it got real quiet in here. Even the usual devil's advocates aren't here to sort of defend this shit.
Well, one showed up pretty quickly. The others must still be awaiting their orders.
Old 08-12-17, 09:10 PM   #3591
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
But the sidewalk!

Jeeze. I hate seeing stuff like that. It was at a car show. Someone got too excited and couldn't keep control their car. You wouldn't believe how common that is. Look up exotic car accidents on Youtube. Lots of them are hilarious.
Old 08-12-17, 09:30 PM   #3592
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Well, one showed up pretty quickly. The others must still be awaiting their orders.
I am waiting for you know who to stop in and tell us how it was Hillary's fault.
Old 08-12-17, 10:01 PM   #3593
DVD Talk Legend

Pics of the killer.

Seems to indicate that he's part of the alt-right movement, and not just an angry driver. Which, till now, I thought might have been a possibility (ever see that video from South America where the jerk gets upset and rams all the bicycle riders?).

I would hope this goes forward as a hate crime, and not passed off as road rage, or a road accident (which I'm guessing will be the legal defense).
Old 08-12-17, 10:09 PM   #3594
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to see the GOP use rhetoric to completely alienate and eviscerate the alt-right. Force them into their own party. Help moderate Republican congressmen run against and push out the troublemakers. Let the dust settle and see where we're at. I think it'd strengthen the GOP (even if they temporarily lose the majority) and increase congress' ability to function.
Old 08-12-17, 10:25 PM   #3595
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I would like to see the GOP use rhetoric to completely alienate and eviscerate the alt-right. Force them into their own party. Help moderate Republican congressmen run against and push out the troublemakers. Let the dust settle and see where we're at. I think it'd strengthen the GOP (even if they temporarily lose the majority) and increase congress' ability to function.
That means sacrificing votes. They aren't going to do that. Trump won't denounce them because he wants them to vote for him in 2020. The Repubs will follow suit.

Even today - glad to see some of the GOP denounce the alt-right, but most didn't call out Trump. They want to win and the alt-right movement will help them do so.
Old 08-12-17, 10:39 PM   #3596
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Could you not give Grundle the impression that he was anywhere but drowning in a river of shit of his own making?
Grundle's comments are disgusting, and I hope he gets banned, but who cares?

Trump's response is beyond repulsive. I am so done with that asshole. I am counting the days until he gets the fuck out of the White House.
Old 08-12-17, 10:44 PM   #3597
DVD Talk Hero

Many prominent Republicans have been vocal about condemning white supremacists in the wake of today's events. Notably, the president is not among them. Talk is cheap, though, so we'll see if Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and all the rest actually do something.

Ted Cruz has called for the DOJ to investigate and prosecute the driver who killed that woman; at least that's something more than just talk.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 08-12-17, 10:54 PM   #3598
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

CNN @CNN
22s
Federal authorities have opened a civil rights investigation into the fatal car attack in Charlottesville.
cnn.it/2wRtB3o
Old 08-12-17, 10:55 PM   #3599
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That means sacrificing votes. They aren't going to do that. Trump won't denounce them because he wants them to vote for him in 2020. The Repubs will follow suit.
It'd be a longer game. On current course, Trump is destroying conservatism and Republicanism. Another 3.5 years of this, and I'm not really sure what it's going to mean to be a Republican. If this is going to happen 8+ more times, I don't know what people will tolerate. Remember - Republicans are Republicans. Trump is a ... casual or passive infiltration. His rhetoric really belongs in a third party. But he elbowed his way in during the primaries. So here we are. In a way, he's a gift to progressive liberalism. We're seeing the Republican fantasy in action (house, senate, businessman outsider POTUS). When it crashes, it's going to crash hard.

Clinton, Bush W, and Obama were moderates and sensible politicians. If it weren't for the Tea-Party/Alt-Right infiltration in 2010, Obama wouldn't have experienced the ongoing obstructionism. The Trump administration is an experiment in disruption and extremism.
Old 08-12-17, 11:00 PM   #3600
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I would hope this goes forward as a hate crime, and not passed off as road rage, or a road accident (which I'm guessing will be the legal defense).
Hate crime? Fuck that. I want him tried as a terrorist, starting with sending him to Gitmo NOW. Trump wants to keep it open, I say we have a new resident.