Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-12-17, 03:05 PM   #3501
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

One person reported dead in Charlottesville. No details, although I'd assume, related to the car crash.
Old 08-12-17, 03:07 PM   #3502
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't been paying much attention to this...but why are these Nazis so angry? Didn't Trump win the election? Shouldn't they be happy? Don't get it.
Old 08-12-17, 03:08 PM   #3503
DVD Talk Legend

Some goodies.

Old 08-12-17, 03:11 PM   #3504
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
In that first picture the car is clearly pulling left, trying to hit those trying to flee.
At least his license plate is clear as day, and it's trending on twitter as a domestic terror suspect. He's little different than the terrorists who did similar shit in France.
Old 08-12-17, 03:12 PM   #3505
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Y'all Qaeda

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 08-12-17, 03:13 PM   #3506
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I haven't been paying much attention to this...but why are these Nazis so angry? Didn't Trump win the election? Shouldn't they be happy? Don't get it.
No, instead of feeling shamed, Trump's win makes them feel emboldened.
Old 08-12-17, 03:16 PM   #3507
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Snowflakes who don't want to see a confederate monument removed. Was a reason to get a bunch of KKK guys together to express some free speech. Because civility and sensibility is for losers.

These are Trump voters and supporters. The ones that tipped the election for him and continue to approve of him. And that should be talked about.
Old 08-12-17, 03:17 PM   #3508
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-12-17, 03:23 PM   #3509
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Everybody knows that "Make America Great Again" was a dog whistle for "roll back civil rights back 50+ years". This is what Trump voters want, and they will stop at nothing to get it. This is is just the beginning, and things are only going to get much much worse.
Stop exaggerating and being so paranoid.

- Machiavelli
Old 08-12-17, 03:24 PM   #3510
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
No, instead of feeling shamed, Trump's win makes them feel emboldened.
Moreover, since they're lot hasn't really changed since Trump was elected, like they probably assumed it would, instead of being angry with Trump (or with themselves), they can only be angry at who they've always been angry; the "other", who they can place their blame on, ignoring their usual rallying cry of self-responsibility when it suits them.
Old 08-12-17, 03:25 PM   #3511
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
There has to come a point where we as a country say we're not going to accept the sort of worldview that calls for genocide and the subjugation of people based on the color of their skin. I support the protestors, who the governor is already blaming for the violence by the way.

All the calls for non-violence assumes that the white supremacists themselves aren't at some point going to become violent. I think that's a dangerous assumption.

Furthermore, it's an attempt to get people to accept state violence against them without retaliation. The police have become paramilitary forces that seek to break, destroy, and imprison those who stand up to authority.
I find it interesting how pro-2A activists will tell us that Germany not having gun control would have prevented the Holocaust.

But when Nazis are marching through the streets they tell us that we need to be nice to them and hear them out.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 08-12-17, 03:27 PM   #3512
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
There has to come a point where we as a country say we're not going to accept the sort of worldview that calls for genocide and the subjugation of people based on the color of their skin. I support the protestors, who the governor is already blaming for the violence by the way.

All the calls for non-violence assumes that the white supremacists themselves aren't at some point going to become violent. I think that's a dangerous assumption.

Furthermore, it's an attempt to get people to accept state violence against them without retaliation. The police have become paramilitary forces that seek to break, destroy, and imprison those who stand up to authority.
I never assume that the white supremacists aren't going to become violent. Violence is a basic part of their vocabulary, whether it's Klansmen putting Emmitt Till in his place or skinheads stomping Pakistani teenagers.

I'm opposed to meeting their taste for lawless violence with more lawless violence. That's playing to their strengths. Their weakness is law and order. In this country, the police will arrest them if they do anything more than march and shout. Their days of Jim Crow impunity are gone. The mayor of Charlottesville is Black. Many of the Charlottesville police are Black. Allow the police to keep the peace, and the white nationalists will lose.

The alternative is to say that if they can drive cars through rallies, then we can drive cars through rallies too. There will be people who think that way. We shouldn't encourage them. The end result of that kind of thinking is car bombs.
Old 08-12-17, 03:32 PM   #3513
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT
The administration's response to almost any criticism - on race, on Russia, on personal enrichment - is whataboutism. Today no exception.
Old 08-12-17, 03:39 PM   #3514
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is what you wanted, America...

Old 08-12-17, 03:40 PM   #3515
DVD Talk Hero

"both sides", amirite!

Old 08-12-17, 03:45 PM   #3516
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I never assume that the white supremacists aren't going to become violent. Violence is a basic part of their vocabulary, whether it's Klansmen putting Emmitt Till in his place or skinheads stomping Pakistani teenagers.

I'm opposed to meeting their taste for lawless violence with more lawless violence. That's playing to their strengths. Their weakness is law and order. In this country, the police will arrest them if they do anything more than march and shout. Their days of Jim Crow impunity are gone. The mayor of Charlottesville is Black. Many of the Charlottesville police are Black. Allow the police to keep the peace, and the white nationalists will lose.

The alternative is to say that if they can drive cars through rallies, then we can drive cars through rallies too. There will be people who think that way. We shouldn't encourage them. The end result of that kind of thinking is car bombs.
Law and order is not their weakness. Much of law enforcement either sympathizes with or is affiliated with white supremacists groups. Here in Portland, the police department uses white militia groups to help them "keep the peace" during protests. The results are that PoC get beaten.

Fascists are at war with progressives, PoC, sexual minorities, Jews and Muslims, basically anyone who isn't white and wants to keep things white. They're enemy combatants, not law abiding citizens who mean no harm.
Old 08-12-17, 03:46 PM   #3517
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
At least his license plate is clear as day, and it's trending on twitter as a domestic terror suspect. He's little different than the terrorists who did similar shit in France.
Was at least one state looking to make it legal for cars to hit protestors if they are blocking streets?
Old 08-12-17, 03:55 PM   #3518
DVD Talk Legend

White supremacists killed someone in broad daylight today and the President made sure he didn't condemn them.

I wonder how many Trump supporters fucking loved that. #MAGA
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-12-17, 03:57 PM   #3519
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see the videos on Twitter, so I looked at them on YouTube. The comments are all in favor of the car driver.
Old 08-12-17, 04:00 PM   #3520
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I can't see the videos on Twitter, so I looked at them on YouTube. The comments are all in favor of the car driver.
Trump set the stage for beating up protestors and "taking care of" people who oppose him. No surprise that his supporters took that and ran with it.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-12-17, 04:08 PM   #3521
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
Old 08-12-17, 04:08 PM   #3522
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-12-17, 04:20 PM   #3523
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Read that Charlottesville wants to take down a statue of Confederate Leader Robert E Lee, & that's the "reason" for the protesting
Old 08-12-17, 04:24 PM   #3524
DVD Talk Hero

Richard Spencer is the Nazi people like punching
Old 08-12-17, 04:47 PM   #3525
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently one of the PD helicopters have went down in the woods outside of CVille