Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-12-17, 11:41 AM   #3476
Time Lord

Re: We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...073156023.html

In an ideal world, there would be 5000 counter-protesters facing 500 racists, they'd self-police to prevent violence and property damage, and they would take a page from the Tea Party rallies and leave the park cleaner than when they arrived. They should show themselves better than the white nationalists in every way.

That the white nationalists are using the Warlocks motorcycle gang for security tells me that they want to provoke violence, because hired a group that is expert at it.

I'm afraid that the Antifa blackshirts will take them up on it. Then the narrative will be that there isn't a difference between the two groups.
The violence has already begun. And I would like to think that anyone with a brain would side with literal anti-fascists, but the fact that antifa is so frequently referred to as terrorists tells me that fascism has a stronger hold in the US than many would like to admit.
Old 08-12-17, 11:50 AM   #3477
Admin-Self Banned

The loss of the legal ability to subjugate minorities = White Oppression
Old 08-12-17, 11:53 AM   #3478
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The violence has already begun. And I would like to think that anyone with a brain would side with literal anti-fascists, but the fact that antifa is so frequently referred to as terrorists tells me that fascism has a stronger hold in the US than many would like to admit.
Anyone can call themselves anti-fascists. Those who are using violence and threats of violence to prevent speech, those who are starting riots, those who are bringing weapons to assemblies, they are a lot closer to fascists than not.
Old 08-12-17, 11:56 AM   #3479
DVD Talk Hero

That picture of all those white dudes with the torches seriously looks like a photo from the Onion.
Old 08-12-17, 12:32 PM   #3480
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Wow, it got real quiet in here. Even the usual devil's advocates aren't here to sort of defend this shit.
Stop acting like an ape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
This country has always had a hard on for the right, look at all the fascists they've put in power throughout the world

Batista
Pinochet
Somoza
Trujillo
etc...
Old 08-12-17, 01:21 PM   #3481
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Wow, it got real quiet in here. Even the usual devil's advocates aren't here to sort of defend this shit.
Waiting too see how the conservative intelligentsia decides to spin it.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 08-12-17, 01:32 PM   #3482
DVD Talk Limited Edition

News just broke into tv - apparently somebody crashed a car into protesters ala London incidents. Police chasing down car...
Old 08-12-17, 02:03 PM   #3483
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure looks intentional to me. Is that a Dodge Challenger?

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 08-12-17 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 02:10 PM   #3484
DVD Talk Legend

Wanna vague that statement up a bit more, President Pussygrabber? Sounds like you are saying both sides need to come together, rather than denouncing your supporters, the white supremacists.

Yes, the racists you have emboldened and who you never speak out against are very sad. As are you.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-12-17, 02:12 PM   #3485

Everybody knows that "Make America Great Again" was a dog whistle for "roll back civil rights back 50+ years". This is what Trump voters want, and they will stop at nothing to get it. This is is just the beginning, and things are only going to get much much worse.
Old 08-12-17, 02:12 PM   #3486
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Anyone can call themselves anti-fascists. Those who are using violence and threats of violence to prevent speech, those who are starting riots, those who are bringing weapons to assemblies, they are a lot closer to fascists than not.
There has to come a point where we as a country say we're not going to accept the sort of worldview that calls for genocide and the subjugation of people based on the color of their skin. I support the protestors, who the governor is already blaming for the violence by the way.

All the calls for non-violence assumes that the white supremacists themselves aren't at some point going to become violent. I think that's a dangerous assumption.

Furthermore, it's an attempt to get people to accept state violence against them without retaliation. The police have become paramilitary forces that seek to break, destroy, and imprison those who stand up to authority.
Old 08-12-17, 02:16 PM   #3487
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More video. Start at 1:05:30.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...533944086&_rdr

Old 08-12-17, 02:25 PM   #3488
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...20822780444672

Wanna vague that statement up a bit more, President Pussygrabber? Sounds like you are saying both sides need to come together, rather than denouncing your supporters, the white supremacists.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...31205549318144

Yes, the racists you have emboldened and who you never speak out against are very sad. As are you.
If you believe that first tweet was written by Trump, I've got a bridge to sell you. It's mealy-mouthed, calculated, and deliberately crafted to skirt up to the edge of condemning the white supremacists while still giving enough cover to allow the white supremacists to interpret it as a condemnation of the counter protests. In fact, Richard Spencer is doing just that. But look at the syntax, the word choice, the verbiage. That's not how Trump speaks. Those are not his words. They are Bannon's or Kelly's or God only knows whose, but not Trump's.

The second tweet -- the one where's he says "I'm really super busy Making America Great Again, but oh yeah, I'll give an 8-year-old's response to the violence as an afterthought tacked on to the end of a tweet justifying why I ignored the white riots for nearly 24 hours" -- that one is all Trump.

What a fucking embarrassment.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 08-12-17, 02:34 PM   #3489
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
#MAGA (Not to be snarky. But because it deserves to be attached to this act of violence.)

These are clearly the "few percent" types that tipped the election for Trump.
Old 08-12-17, 02:38 PM   #3490
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not 2 minutes in to his statement, and he's just fucking boasting about himself.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 08-12-17, 02:38 PM   #3491
DVD Talk Hero

Charlottesville Mayor: Donald Trump responsible for white supremacist resurgence

Quote:

Donald Trump has been blamed for the violent clashes between white supremacists and opposing groups and police in Virginia by the Mayor of Charlottesville.

Mayor Michael Signer said he was disappointed the white nationalists had descended on his town and said responsibility lay with Mr Trump for inflaming racial prejudices during his presidential campaign last year.

He said: "I'm not going to make any bones about it. I place the blame for a lot of what you're seeing in America today right at the doorstep of the White House and the people around the President."

More attendees are expected to flock to Charlottesville - normally a quiet, liberal-leaning university city - by tomorrow.

Both local hospitals said they have taken precautions to prepare for an influx of patients and had extra staff on standby.

The Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Centre, which track extremist groups, both believe the event has the potential to be the largest of its kind in at least a decade.
Old 08-12-17, 02:39 PM   #3492
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stunning pictures

Old 08-12-17, 02:39 PM   #3493
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not sure what the economy has to do with a Nazi running over people.
Old 08-12-17, 02:45 PM   #3494
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...20822780444672

Wanna vague that statement up a bit more, President Pussygrabber? Sounds like you are saying both sides need to come together, rather than denouncing your supporters, the white supremacists..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If you believe that first tweet was written by Trump, I've got a bridge to sell you. It's mealy-mouthed, calculated, and deliberately crafted to skirt up to the edge of condemning the white supremacists while still giving enough cover to allow the white supremacists to interpret it as a condemnation of the counter protests.
That tweet reads a lot like the "all lives matter" content that gets posted here in any race related thread. Except that it's a tweet rather than a wall of text.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-12-17 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 02:46 PM   #3495
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Stunning pictures
Trump may as well be behind the wheel of those cars.
Old 08-12-17, 02:46 PM   #3496
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awful images...seeing that shoe drop off the front bumper. Post is saying 10+ struck...
Old 08-12-17, 02:51 PM   #3497
DVD Talk Hero

People are dead and Trump's making fucking jokes.

Fuck this motherfucker. Fuck him!

Gives a shit speech*, then completely ignores this question:

"Have you sufficiently denounced the white nationalist groups that support you?"

Trump is America's cancer.

*in case anyone missed it, his speech basically boiled down to: "Many sides were at fault. But I am doing a great job for the country. Inappropriate joke. Ignores pertinent question"
Old 08-12-17, 02:55 PM   #3498
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Was listening to Fox News on the radio before his press conference and they said he was sure to denounce the alt right and david duke. But nope.
Old 08-12-17, 02:59 PM   #3499
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, but I am so fucking pissed after his speech now!

Truly a cowardly non-answer from a President too chickenshit to call out a gross segment of our population that, mostly, voted for him. But hey, let's make sure to call Islamic terrorism what it is!

I mean, fuck, he actually touted (Obama's) job numbers during a speech that was supposed to denounce a nazi rally.

He really is the personification of a cancer running through America.
Old 08-12-17, 03:03 PM   #3500
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Awful images...seeing that shoe drop off the front bumper. Post is saying 10+ struck...
In that first picture the car is clearly pulling left, trying to hit those trying to flee.