Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-12-14, 12:43 PM   #26

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Really?
Really.

I'm sure every police officer 'roided up to their eyeballs obtained them all with a valid prescription, since otherwise they'd be committing a federal crime, and we all know cops never break the law.

"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 08-12-14, 04:19 PM   #27
DVD Talk God

I'm certainly not surprised they haven't released the name of the cop.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-12-14, 04:59 PM   #28
DVD Talk Godfather

< Waiting for all the facts...

Witnesses Lie, Police Lie....
Old 08-12-14, 05:01 PM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
< Waiting for all the facts...

Witnesses Lie, Police Lie....
You unamerican bastard!
Old 08-12-14, 06:24 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Of course they have :

Spoiler:
Officer White

- Machiavelli
Old 08-12-14, 06:34 PM   #31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why is it that one something like this happens, people feel the need to steal TVs and destroy businesses ?
Old 08-12-14, 06:47 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
His neighborhood is grateful that it hasn't been released, too.
Old 08-12-14, 07:08 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's a common name and they don't want Spike Lee tweeting out someone else's address urging people take matters into their own hands.
Old 08-12-14, 08:06 PM   #34
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
From that thread (I don't want to post in it because, frankly, he doesn't deserve it):

what?

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/col...iams051999.asp

Even during slavery, most black children lived in biological two-parent families. One study of 19th-century slave families (Herbert Gutman, "The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom: 1750-1925") found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father. In New York City in 1925, 85 percent of kin-related black households were double-headed. In fact, "Five in six children under the age of six lived with both parents."

Both during slavery and as late as 1920, a black teen-age girl raising a child without a man was rare among blacks. Gutman, also found in analyzing data on black families in Harlem between 1905 and 1925 that only 3 percent of all families "were headed by a woman under 30."

Scholar and columnist Thomas Sowell found: "Going back a hundred years, when blacks were just one generation out of slavery, we find that census data of that era showed that a slightly higher percentage of black adults had married than white adults. This fact remained true in every census from 1890 to 1940."
Old 08-12-14, 08:10 PM   #35
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post

I have an obsession with politics, of which race is one of many categories.
Old 08-12-14, 11:06 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

grundle is one of those people where the less I know about his obsessions, the better.
Old 08-13-14, 02:45 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, there hasn't been a lot of info about the Brown case yet many are rushing to judgment. I'm getting more sick of the media fanning the flames of racial tensions before the facts are known.

The Zimmerman case is a perfect example of the media manipulating a story. I was disappointed that GZ lost his lawsuit against NBC.
Old 08-13-14, 04:52 PM   #38
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Why is it that one something like this happens, people feel the need to steal TVs and destroy businesses ?
Short answer: PROXIMITY...It's that or go to White areas and do it. But that will never happen....

Plus realize it's mainly opportunists and those that think the any Civil Unrest is good even when it's not well planned and well executed. Civil Unrest is good...when planned and the consequences are well thought out. Throw Tea in Boston Harbor or hide in the woods so you can ambush and kill British soldiers....you're a "Freedom Fighter" or "Patriot" right?

Then you get into the Anger and emotion of the situation. Blacks and America have a dysfunctional relationship with Cops traditionally being the Guard Dogs used to keep us "in check"...
Old 08-13-14, 11:13 PM   #39
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
grundle is one of those people where the less I know about his obsessions, the better.

I would think that everyone who has made thousands of posts on the political board has an obsession with politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post

Because they're too cowardly to attack the police station.
Old 08-13-14, 11:40 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Blah - The St. Louis County PD is making the situation worse.
Old 08-14-14, 01:21 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/col...iams051999.asp

Even during slavery, most black children lived in biological two-parent families. One study of 19th-century slave families (Herbert Gutman, "The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom: 1750-1925") found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father. In New York City in 1925, 85 percent of kin-related black households were double-headed. In fact, "Five in six children under the age of six lived with both parents."
Of course, the parents were paired by their owners as good breeding stock, not because they were a loving couple.

Oh, hey, and employment for them was at 100 percent!
Old 08-14-14, 10:23 AM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

So when your police department is the center of national media attention and the subject of an FBI investigation, one of the things you shouldn't do is arrest a reporter from the Washington Post.

Quote:
FERGUSON, Mo. — For the past week in Ferguson, reporters have been using the McDonald’s a few blocks from the scene of Michael Brown’s shooting as a staging area. Demonstrations have blown up each night nearby. But inside there’s WiFi and outlets, so it’s common for reporters to gather there.

That was the case Wednesday. My phone was just about to die, so as I charged it, I used the time to respond to people on Twitter and do a little bit of a Q&A since I wasn’t out there covering the protests.

As I sat there, many armed officers came in — some who were dressed as normal officers, others who were dressed with more gear.

Initially, both Ryan Reilly of the Huffington Post and I were asked for identification. I was wearing my lanyard, but Ryan asked why he had to show his ID. They didn’t press the point, but one added that if we called 911, no one would answer.

Then they walked away. Moments later, the police reemerged, telling us that we had to leave. I pulled my phone out and began recording video.

An officer with a large weapon came up to me and said, “Stop recording.”

I said, “Officer, do I not have the right to record you?”

He backed off but told me to hurry up. So I gathered my notebook and pens with one hand while recording him with the other hand.

As I exited, I saw Ryan to my left, having a similar argument with two officers. I recorded him, too, and that angered the officer. As I made my way toward the door, the officers gave me conflicting information.

One instructed me to exit to my left. As I turned left, another officer emerged, blocking my path.

“Go another way,” he said.

As I turned, my backpack, which was slung over one shoulder, began to slip. I said, “Officers, let me just gather my bag.” As I did, one of them said, “Okay, let’s take him.”

Multiple officers grabbed me. I tried to turn my back to them to assist them in arresting me. I dropped the things from my hands.

“My hands are behind my back,” I said. “I’m not resisting. I’m not resisting.” At which point one officer said: “You’re resisting. Stop resisting.”

That was when I was most afraid — more afraid than of the tear gas and rubber bullets.

As they took me into custody, the officers slammed me into a soda machine, at one point setting off the Coke dispenser. They put plastic cuffs on me, then they led me out the door.

I could see Ryan still talking to an officer. I said: “Ryan, tweet that they’re arresting me, tweet that they’re arresting me.”

He didn’t have an opportunity, because he was arrested as well.

The officers led us outside to a police van. Inside, there was a large man sitting on the floor between the two benches. He began screaming: “I can’t breathe! Call a paramedic! Call a paramedic!”

Ryan and I asked the officers if they intended to help the man. They said he was fine. The screaming went on for the 10 to 15 minutes we stood outside the van.

“I’m going to die!” he screamed. “I’m going to die! I can’t breathe! I’m going to die!”

Eventually a police car arrived. A woman — with a collar identifying her as a member of the clergy — sat in the back. Ryan and I crammed in next to her, and we took the three-minute ride to the Ferguson Police Department. The woman sang hymns throughout the ride.

During this time, we asked the officers for badge numbers. We asked to speak to a supervising officer. We asked why we were being detained. We were told: trespassing in a McDonald’s.

“I hope you’re happy with yourself,” one officer told me. And I responded: “This story’s going to get out there. It’s going to be on the front page of The Washington Post tomorrow.”

And he said, “Yeah, well, you’re going to be in my jail cell tonight.”

Once at the station, we were processed, our pockets emptied. No mug shots. They removed our restraints and put us in a holding cell. Ryan was able to get ahold of his dad. I called my mom, but I couldn’t get through. I couldn’t remember any phone numbers.

We were in there for what felt like 10 or 15 minutes. Then the processing officer came in.

“Who’s media?” he asked.

We said we were. And the officer said we were both free to go. We asked to speak to a commanding officer. We asked to see an arrest report. No report, the officer told us, and no, they wouldn’t provide any names.

I asked if there would ever be a report. He came back with a case number and said a report would be available in a week or two.

“The chief thought he was doing you two a favor,” he said.

The Ferguson Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Lowery’s detention.

The following is a statement on the incident from Washington Post Executive Editor Martin D. Baron:

Wesley has briefed us on what occurred, and there was absolutely no justification for his
arrest.

He was illegally instructed to stop taking video of officers. Then he followed officers’ instructions to leave a McDonald’s — and after contradictory instructions on how to exit, he was slammed against a soda machine and then handcuffed. That behavior was wholly unwarranted and an assault on the freedom of the press to cover the news. The physical risk to Wesley himself is obvious and outrageous.

After being placed in a holding cell, he was released with no charges and no explanation. He was denied information about the names and badge numbers of those who arrested him.

We are relieved that Wesley is going to be OK. We are appalled by the conduct of police officers involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Great article; 11 Facts About America’s Militarized Police Forces.

Not exactly a revelation to most in this thread, but there's some scary stuff in there.
Like this:
You think that's bad, pick up Radley Balko's book on the subject.
Old 08-14-14, 10:37 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Infuriating. Even if these are isolated events, as some like to claim, the sheer lack of concern by other officers who go along with this is insane.
Old 08-14-14, 10:39 AM   #44
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Time to go watch Bad Lieutenant.
Old 08-14-14, 10:45 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

I heard the SWAT teams just tear gassed the press. When the press ran away, the police destroyed their camera equipment.
Old 08-14-14, 10:48 AM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Most of these cops have zero accountability for the crap they do, even accidentally killing someone, so they sure as shit won't give a fuck about detaining someone for no reason, reporter or not.

The line between police & military has been blurring more and more for a while now. And when there's no real "enemy", they create one out of the populace.

The real scary part is that this whole Ferguson thing can really happen almost anywhere else in the country. Fear of terrorism has turned our police force into a militarized complex, and yet you are FAR more likely to be killed by a cop than by a terrorist.

I mean, when you have SWAT teams just serving arrest warrants (most of them to non-violent offenders), then you're kinda' over-doing it.
Old 08-14-14, 10:50 AM   #47
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not only the police that come out looking stupid. Why did the guy have to be a dick when asked for ID? The cops are working long hours in life threatening riots and they are trying to protect other peoples property and they ask for an ID. I don't think that's unreasonable. But those reporters don't want to defuse the riots. The media wants to fan the flames. Then you have the poor rioters who are destroying other peoples stores to show support to the kid who was killed. This whole thing is a mess that will probably fuck up that city for years to come. Everyone there will be a loser. Stores will not reopen, people will lose jobs, cops will bail out and be replaced with even lesser qualified people. A nice downward spiral. Everybody is a stupid idiot. It's where you live, it's your neighborhood, why destroy it?
Old 08-14-14, 10:59 AM   #48
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
It's not only the police that come out looking stupid. Why did the guy have to be a dick when asked for ID? The cops are working long hours in life threatening riots and they are trying to protect other peoples property and they ask for an ID. I don't think that's unreasonable. But those reporters don't want to defuse the riots. The media wants to fan the flames. Then you have the poor rioters who are destroying other peoples stores to show support to the kid who was killed. This whole thing is a mess that will probably fuck up that city for years to come. Everyone there will be a loser. Stores will not reopen, people will lose jobs, cops will bail out and be replaced with even lesser qualified people. A nice downward spiral. Everybody is a stupid idiot. It's where you live, it's your neighborhood, why destroy it?
If he's not suspected of a crime, they have NO right to ask him for his ID (though he was wearing his press lanyard), and he has every right to reject their request. Remember, they cops aren't there to help anyone, and they are trained to take everything you tell them to use against you, should it come to that.

And yet the cops weren't willing to give up their won badge #s and IDs when asked either - so, using your reasoning, why are they being dicks about it?
Old 08-14-14, 11:02 AM   #49
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
If he's not suspected of a crime, they have NO right to ask him for his ID (though he was wearing his press lanyard), and he has every right to reject their request. Remember, they cops aren't there to help anyone, and they are trained to take everything you tell them to use against you, should it come to that.

And yet the cops weren't willing to give up their won badge #s and IDs when asked either - so, using your reasoning, why are they being dicks about it?
Reason just never enters into it right? And yes, I said the cops were being dicks too. So? That means everybody has to be a dick?
Old 08-14-14, 11:04 AM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t