Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-04-13, 08:54 AM   #1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fast Food Workers Strike in NYC. What do we want??? $15 an hour!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...yc-strike.html

Quote:
As many as 500 workers from McDonald’s Corp. (MCD), Wendy’s Co. and Yum! Brands Inc. are set to strike today in New York City as they call for higher wages.

“By far, it will be one of the biggest actions that fast- food workers have taken in this country,” Jonathan Westin, executive director of advocacy group and organizer New York Communities for Change, said in an interview before the strike. The employees want $15-an-hour pay and the right to form a union, he said.

.The minimum wage in New York is $7.25 an hour. The strike, which also includes workers from Burger King Worldwide Inc. (BKW), Domino’s Pizza Inc. (DPZ) and Papa John’s International Inc. (PZZA), follows a similar one in New York in November, where about 200 workers walked off the job.
FYI I didn't quote the entire article.

Last edited by Krayzie; 04-04-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 08:56 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fast Food Workers Strike in NYC. What do we want??? $15 an hour!!!

Good for them.
Old 04-04-13, 08:58 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like a good way to hurt business. If they do get any sort of increase, I expect it will be passed on to the customer. Fast food prices are already higher in NYC than most other places. I'm not even sure why people would eat at these places with all the other great, quick eats in the city there.
Old 04-04-13, 08:59 AM   #4

$7.25 in NYC...

Agreed, good for them. I do look forward to the posts in this thread, however.

Old 04-04-13, 09:05 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

The way chains operate here is pretty terrible. A lot of young people that grew up in the projects who have to commute on the subway from upper Manhattan, the Bronx, etc. to work shitty jobs for shitty pay.
Old 04-04-13, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
So there will be 500 new job openings tomorrow in NYC!
I would imagine the 500 openings would fill rather quickly. MCD had a job fair type thing around here a few months ago and they were completely flooded with applicants.
Old 04-04-13, 09:17 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, replace them....or more to the point, if those individuals are worth $15.00 per hour, why waste the time picketing? Just go get that job.

It says $7.25 is the MW, but doesn't say what they were actually making.

I'd go to McDonald's just to support their not caving...heck, I might go to my local McDonald's...lol

Home Theater Build
Old 04-04-13, 09:39 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Yup, replace them....or more to the point, if those individuals are worth $15.00 per hour, why waste the time picketing? Just go get that job.
Hey, uh... Atlas Shrugged is not a work of non-fiction.
Old 04-04-13, 09:49 AM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

It says $7.25 is the MW, but doesn't say what they were actually making.

I'd go to McDonald's just to support their not caving...heck, I might go to my local McDonald's...lol
I can't see how these companies could agree to 15 dollars without raising prices dramatically. Get ready for $15.00 Big Macs!
Old 04-04-13, 09:51 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Seems like a good way to hurt business. If they do get any sort of increase, I expect it will be passed on to the customer. Fast food prices are already higher in NYC than most other places. I'm not even sure why people would eat at these places with all the other great, quick eats in the city there.
Nah, it's being passed on to the taxpayers:
Quote:

New York minimum-wage law sparks controversy over state subsidy
Some may benefit and some may suffer from state minimum-pay law, but everyone is wondering about the provisions that led to subsidy

By Tom Precious | News Albany Bureau
on March 28, 2013 - 1:00 AM
updated March 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM

ALBANY – The teenager making $7.25 per hour assembling Quarter Pounders at McDonald’s will be getting a 75-cents-an-hour raise in January as a result of the new state budget’s minimum-wage deal.

Good news?

Certainly for your child and also for McDonald’s, a company that saw $1.4 billion in net income in the most recent financial quarter. That is because McDonald’s won’t have to pay a penny of that raise.

Instead, New York taxpayers will foot the tab.

In what national tax experts say is a first in the United States, New York taxpayers, not employers, will cover the higher payroll costs associated with raising the minimum wage to $8 for a select group of employees – teenagers between 16 and 19 years old.

And if the teens already are making $8 an hour, the state will even pay the 75-cents-an-hour difference beginning Jan. 1.

In addition, the state will continue covering a partial share of the increase – up to $1.35 per hour per eligible employee – when the wage reaches $9 per hour in January 2016 and right on through 2018.

The development has critics accusing budget negotiators of a cynical trade in order to get reluctant Republicans to buy into a minimum-wage hike. Some are also questioning the wisdom of a business bailout that could prompt some companies to hire an 18-year-old over someone who is 21 or 30, or even a senior citizen, whose wage won’t be partially subsidized.

The subsidy will add up. If the teen is working full time, the annual subsidy could be worth as much as $2,800 per worker come 2016.

“I’ve never heard of this one. We think it’s particularly outrageous,” said Paul Sonn, legal co-director of the National Employment Law Project in Washington, an advocacy group for low-income workers. “It was really a quid quo pro without a policy justification for it.”

Then there’s this twist: The dangled subsidy will get paid only if the employer pays the exact minimum wage at the time, not a penny more. That represents a built-in disincentive for employers to give teens a pay raise for good performance, the critics say.

Besides the age requirement, a covered employee also must be a student. But the bill does not define student, leaving one legislator to suggest large companies could set up in-house, part-time training schools so an 18- or 19-year-old high school graduate could still be considered a student.

“It’s so poorly conceived that it’s going to be a needless drain on public resources. But probably the most damaging effect is that it has this perverse hiring and wage payment incentives so you only get the credit if you hire a teen instead of an adult and you only get the credit if you pay exactly the minimum wage,” said James Parrot, deputy director and chief economist at the labor-backed Fiscal Policy Institute.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever seen an incentive to keep wages down,” added Parrott, who estimates 80 percent of those affected by the minimum-wage increase are 20 and older.

Strangely enough, even business groups whose members will benefit weren’t taking pride of authorship for this idea.

“It’s certainly not the approach we had asked for,” said Kenneth Pokalsky, head of government affairs at the Business Council of New York State. “I don’t know how this got on the table.”

Unlike some tax credits, the minimum-wage subsidy has no limits on how much the state will pay out annually. And unlike many tax credits, there is no targeting, such as only for small businesses or those located in economically distressed areas.

How much this will cost is anyone’s guess.

The State Senate, where apparently the idea was born, could not provide an estimate on the number of teen workers whose higher wage could be subsidized by the state.

But Scott Reif, a spokesman for Senate co-leader Dean Skelos said there would be no cost to the state until 2015, when the credit will be worth about $24 million to businesses and then grow to $45 million by the following year.

The Cuomo administration estimates there are about 250,000 student youth workers; about 30 percent earn the minimum wage or less.

Officials say the five-year program will cost the state about $201 million, and will be reduced if the federal government raises the national minimum wage during the period.

But some critics say the costs will end up far higher because the state is basing the estimates on past teen employment wage levels without state subsidies that will encourage more teen hiring at the minimum wage level.

Broad impact
Meanwhile, business lobbyists say the minimum-wage hike will cost New York companies at least $1 billion a year in higher payroll costs.

“I’m fairly certain there isn’t a billion dollars’ worth of tax credits in the budget, so it doesn’t pan out in the end. We haven’t neutralized the impact,” said Sampson of Unshackle Upstate.

The Senate passed the measure early Wednesday morning, and the Assembly will pass it today when it convenes to take up the 2013 budget.

The idea of the credit, according to Skelos, is to provide an “important safeguard to protect businesses associated with the wage increase.”

For the past year, Skelos had argued that a minimum-wage increase would be a job-killer, forcing employers on tight margins to lay off workers. The Long Island Republican backed the idea of a lower wage for teens than the full and higher rate but was rebuffed in talks with Democrats.

In a year when the state’s finances are still shaky, critics wonder how the state can justify the tax break.

Even business groups, whose members will benefit from the credit and who fought the minimum-wage hike, said they didn’t ask for the tax break and are concerned the state did not spend more time on a long-needed major job creation effort.

Not all are unhappy.

Credit will help
One employer with a large teenage workforce said he was looking at $100,000 in extra payroll costs with the wage hike. The tax credit will help.

Keith Anderson, whose eight Anderson’s Frozen Custard restaurants employ more than 150 young workers in Western New York, said he understands the logic behind the wage hike.

“You want people to survive on what they make,” he said. “It just doesn’t apply to young kids. They don’t need to pay rent. They don’t need to pay bills.”

Anderson said he gives teen workers raises as they gain more skills. Under this new law, he can continue to do that, but he won’t get the tax credit if he breaks the minimum-wage ceiling.

“We have good kids, and we pay them more so they don’t go somewhere else. If I had to pay them $9 an hour, I’d fire them. But at $7.25, OK, I’ll work with you and get you going,” he said.

Matching other states
When the first phase of the minimum-wage hike kicks in at $8 an hour in January, it will reach a level already attained or exceeded by California, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont and Washington, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures in Denver.

Mike Durant, state director of the National Federation of Independent Business, worries the new credit might involve too much paperwork for some his small-business members without human resources or accounting divisions. And those are the very companies that should be able to get such a tax break if this is the law, he said.

The tax credit’s flaws are not lost on Durant, who believes state officials would have better served the economy, especially upstate, by helping to cut state-imposed business costs and regulatory red tape.

“I think people will call in to question whether (the wage hike) is an appropriate use of taxpayer dollars,” Sampson said.
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130329186/1010
Old 04-04-13, 10:01 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

18-19 year old kids are actually the minority (at least around here) in terms of fast food staff. I see many people over the age of 25 working at fast food joints. I don't eat too much fast food, but if it meant paying some of these workers, that only have the skills to get a fast job a bit more, then I'd be happy to pay more for the food.

I'd like to see a breakdown of some kind that gives an age average demographic, because those days of kids getting a fast food summer job are pretty much over. For some, it's all they have.
Old 04-04-13, 10:23 AM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I don't eat too much fast food, but if it meant paying some of these workers, that only have the skills to get a fast job a bit more, then I'd be happy to pay more for the food.
You might, but don't you think others will decide they can't or won't pay the increase prices?
Old 04-04-13, 10:56 AM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I can't see how these companies could agree to 15 dollars without raising prices dramatically. Get ready for $15.00 Big Macs!
Or something crazy dramatic like raising it from $3.99 to $4.29.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 04-04-13, 10:58 AM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
You might, but don't you think others will decide they can't or won't pay the increase prices?
No.

People pay $10 for a pack of cigarettes in NYC. People have learned to pay $4 a gallon for gasoline. People adapt. Prices are low for fast food. Ridiculously low.

Old 04-04-13, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
No.

People pay $10 for a pack of cigarettes in NYC. People have learned to pay $4 a gallon for gasoline. People adapt. Prices are low for fast food. Ridiculously low.
It is a good thing that those lower on the economic scale don't make up a huge percentage of the customer base then.
Old 04-04-13, 11:09 AM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Because 30 cents would eat into the foodstamp lobster budget?

Sorry, but if you can get a full "meal" (if you want to call their swill food) for $3 raising it to $3.50 is not going to make or break someone. There are some industries where prices are driving lower and lower at the expense of their workers. This cannot stand.

Old 04-04-13, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
I certainly think that five or ten dollars more per meal for a family of four would certainly have an affect.

Now I wouldn't disagree with the notion that having noticeably higher prices would be a good thing in theory, however apparently unlike you I realise that a healthier more organic lifestyle simply isn't an option for most poorer people at this time.
Old 04-04-13, 11:21 AM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I certainly think that five or ten dollars more per meal for a family of four would certainly have an affect.

Now I wouldn't disagree with the notion that having noticeably higher prices would be a good thing in theory, however apparently unlike you I realise that a healthier more organic lifestyle simply isn't an option for most poorer people at this time.
I understand this objection, but to be blunt, these people aren't going to starve if they can no longer afford to eat at McDonald's.

And the fact that they will no longer be able to afford to eat at McDonald's is a dubious proposition. Companies love to assert that prices will have to go up if they pay their front-line employees a little more.
Old 04-04-13, 11:30 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Or something crazy dramatic like raising it from $3.99 to $4.29.
I think they would do more than that. They probably raise them more year over year.

I wonder what the average wage is now. It can't be close to $15.
Old 04-04-13, 12:01 PM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

Also, the striking workers can ask for whatever they want, but the negotiation process will bring that down. I bet you $15 was carefully chosen and they expect to get less than that, if the companies agree to negotiate with them.
Old 04-04-13, 12:04 PM   #21
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

Sorry, but if you can get a full "meal" (if you want to call their swill food) for $3 raising it to $3.50 is not going to make or break someone. There are some industries where prices are driving lower and lower at the expense of their workers. This cannot stand.
I respect this point of view but the problem is many people are eating all their meals out because they are pressed for time and we don't get by for $3 to $3.50 a meal
Old 04-04-13, 12:52 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Charging more for a Big Mac in New York might be a good idea any way.
Old 04-04-13, 01:17 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Hey, uh... Atlas Shrugged is not a work of non-fiction.
Quote:
The real question is what these workers are doing to earn $15.00 per hour. And what competitor in a similar industry is paying that?

Quote:

Your assuming the reason you can buy a full meal for $3.00 is ONLY because of the cheap labor.

My wife applied for two different jobs two different departments at the same company. One paid more (by about 15-20%). Take the better paying job, right? Well because of technology, efficiencies gained through other means, I think that entire department will be gone (or very minimal staffing) within a couple years. So she took the less paying job, but it has much, much more up-side for opportunity.

The point? The reason McDonald's can pay MW (or a cheap wage) is they have done all the work to create efficiencies, drop costs in other places (grow their own veggies instead of buying from others, for example). The person at McDonald's needs to do no thinking (they don't even have to figure change!).

Originally working at McDonald's was probably like any other restaurant. But now, due to scale, technology, efficiency, even a pimple face, uneducated, dweeb, can take an order or put together a big mac.

I totally agree that companies try to be efficient as possible. And labor is often the biggest expense. So of course a company is going to try to reduce it, but still deliver the same or similar product. But rarely can they do that by simply paying less with no other changes (see Circuit City). They have to create efficencies elsewhere and/or make it easier for anyone even low cost employees the ability to deliver the product.

Home Theater Build

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-04-13 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 01:36 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

You don't think McDonalds mastered their efficiencies a LONG time ago? This is about franchise owners taking as much profit as mathematically possible.

Old 04-04-13, 01:43 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
No.

People pay $14 for a pack of cigarettes here. It's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I'm not even sure why people would eat at these places with all the other great, quick eats in the city there.
Every so often you just want some shitty fast food. There is a Burger King and a Shake Shack (popular burger joint) within two blocks of each other. Easy for me to get either but sometimes I'm just in the mood for some BK even though Shake Shack is much much better.