Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-13-17, 05:21 PM   #2301
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fast Food Workers Strike in NYC. What do we want??? $15 an hour!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Someone isn't a Douglas Adams fan.
Some assistance:

http://www.geoffwilkins.net/fragments/Adams.htm
Old 07-17-17, 11:46 AM   #2302

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...hone-preorders

Quote:
Subway is in the middle of testing a new restaurant design that will make Apple Pay an integral option when ordering food, in some cases before people even walk through the door.

Upgraded locations will have self-order kiosks supporting both Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, the company said on Monday. Once an order is completed, people will be able to claim it at a dedicated pick-up space. The chain does already support Apple Pay, but only for conventional orders.

The pick-up space will also handle preorders made through the company's iPhone app, which is being updated with its own Apple Pay compatibility. Currently mobile users have to manually add a credit, debit, or Subway card.

To further attract a tech-savvy crowd, overhauled restaurants will include free Wi-Fi as well as USB charging ports at seats.

The new design —dubbed "Fresh Forward" —is being tested at a dozen locations worldwide. U.S. restaurants include ones in Chula Vista, Calif., Palmview, Texas, Hillsboro, Ore., Vancouver, Wash., and three Flordia markets: Orlando, Tamarac, and Winter Park.

Canadian pilots are taking place in Quebec, specifically Beauport and Granby. The one U.K. test city is Manchester.

It's not clear when the new store design will emerge from its test phase, but Subway said that "many elements of the new brand identity" will go global by the end of 2017.
Old 07-19-17, 04:59 PM   #2303
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Battle is contentious heading into 2018 midterm elections
Charisse Jones and Kellie Ell
USA TODAY
After her state’s minimum wage rose in January to $9 from $7.50 an hour, Kathy Rondone got an extra $20 a week in her paycheck.
“To me that’s not coffee money or spare change,” says Rondone, an administrative assistant who lives in Augusta, Maine. “It is a set of windshield wipers when mine broke in a storm last February. I had $20 in the bank, and I was able to replace those wipers when I needed them ...
“It’s a really big deal.”
As the nation heads into a midterm election year, a movement to raise the minimum wage continues to pick up steam on the heels of pay hikes that have lifted the earnings of low-income workers from Alaska to Washington, D.C.
Advocates in Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and Vermont are teeing up campaigns for a $15-an-hour minimum wage in 2018.
“Some of them started to move forward this year, but typically the minimum wage tends to advance in state legislatures in election years,” says Paul Sonn, general counsel at the National Employment Law Project, which researches and advocates on worker pay issues.
With the federal minimum wage at a standstill since reaching $7.25 in 2009, advocates and unions have banded together to boost the earnings of the lowestpaid at the city and state level, arguing that higher
wages shore up finances for low-income families who then fuel local economies with their extra spending power.

The latest efforts come in the wake of low-wage workers in 19 states getting a pay bump at the start of this year, while the minimum wage increased in Oregon, Maryland and Washington, D.C., as of July 1, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Altogether, 31 states, as well as the District of Columbia, have a higher minimum wage than the one set by the federal government, says the U.C. Berkeley Labor Center.

And there has been a wave of wage hikes at the local level, with 39 cities and counties approving increases vs. just five municipalities that had done so prior to 2012, says Ken Jacobs, chair of the U.C. Berkeley Labor Center. House Democrats have proposed raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2024, but they may not get far. President Trump did say during the election campaign he would support a $10 minimum wage but that the decision should be left up to individual states.
Despite the recent momentum, lifting the minimum wage remains contentious, with some critics saying rapidly rising wages burden businesses and ultimately cost jobs.

In June, separate studies bolstered arguments on both sides. They focused on Seattle. With an initial hike to $11 in 2015, the minimum wage is now as high as $15 for some employees.

A report from the University of Washington concluded that when wages rose to $13 from $11 an hour in 2016 — the second phase of an increase that will ultimately see the minimum wage hit $15 for all workers by 2021 — businesses may have cut the hours of lowwage employees. Those workers logged roughly 9% fewer hours, and saw an average cut in pay of $125 a month, last year.

However, a separate study from U.C. Berkeley that specifically looked at the restaurant industry found the Seattle law led to an increase in the pay of restaurant workers and did not lead to job losses.
Article from this morning's USA today. I do not like the last two sentences. They used the last sentence as a counterpoint to the previous. However it told of people losing hours and pay, not jobs. Then cited a study of restaurants did not lead to job loss. The previous study never claimed that. It claimed that people lost hours and net pay. I would like to see if the second study compared number of hours worked after the wage hike went into effect.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 271 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 388 BR titles, 14 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 71 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 07-19-17, 08:06 PM   #2304
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

As a flashback counterpoint, here's that sample budget that McDonald's put together a while back to educate their workers on how to scrape by on minimum wage.

The budget expects them to work a second job, pay nothing for heating, somehow get health insurance for $20 a month, and not eat or buy clothing. (There seriously is no allowance for food.) They did eventually update this to spend $50 a month on heating, but I can't quickly find a graphic of that.

$7.25 an hour, now and forever!
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 07-19-17 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 08:58 PM   #2305
DVD Talk Hero

^ I would guess that food would fall under the $800/month ($27/day) spending money.

This seems to assume that you're working two full-time minimum wage jobs, which would average out to a gross income of around $2300 a month. Then you'll get hit with federal taxes, state taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, car taxes, whatever.

So you'll basically be working every waking hour to barely scrape by.

And I'd love to know where they get $20 for health insurance. Looks like some overpaid fuckhead just pulled a bunch of random numbers out of his ass to make them fit a budget.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-19-17, 10:25 PM   #2306
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Certainly someone working minimum wage would not pay much if any federal taxes and certainly would qualify for Medicaid with or without the ACA.
Old 07-20-17, 01:48 PM   #2307
DVD Talk Legend

$600 for rent. I wonder what imaginary city McDonald's expects its workers to live in.
Old 07-20-17, 03:28 PM   #2308
DVD Talk Legend

With a roommate you could easily get a decent place around here for <$600. Living alone would be more difficult unless you didn't mind the not so great neighborhoods.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 271 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 388 BR titles, 14 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 71 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies