Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-04-13, 02:00 PM   #26
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Fast Food Workers Strike in NYC. What do we want??? $15 an hour!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
sometimes I'm just in the mood for some BK even though Shake Shack is much much better.
Nonsense. I have it on good authority from Draven that all burgers taste the same!
Old 04-04-13, 02:01 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
There is a Burger King and a Shake Shack (popular burger joint) within two blocks of each other. Easy for me to get either but sometimes I'm just in the mood for some BK even though Shake Shack is much much better.
I don't have Shake Shack but I can honesty say this sensation has NEVER once crossed my mind.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 04-04-13, 02:01 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Nonsense. I have it on good authority from Draven that all burgers taste the same!
Old 04-04-13, 02:04 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

The mayor is gonna ban hamburgers soon anyway, so who cares.
Old 04-04-13, 02:10 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
The mayor is gonna ban hamburgers soon anyway, so who cares.
Does this repulsive thing count as a burger?

Old 04-04-13, 02:12 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

That is 100% pure beef there.
Old 04-04-13, 02:20 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

I get the system and efficiency model and all that, but just because fast food staff don't have to "think" doesn't mean that they don't have to WORK. It's a labor intensive industry. You're busting your hump all day for a pittance, among other things. It's definitely not a cubicle culture.
Old 04-04-13, 02:31 PM   #33
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I get the system and efficiency model and all that, but just because fast food staff don't have to "think" doesn't mean that they don't have to WORK. It's a labor intensive industry. You're busting your hump all day for a pittance, among other things. It's definitely not a cubicle culture.
It's really not that labor intensive to work at a fast food chain though. The only way I see this working is if they raise minimum wage. Why should they pay the fast food people more money if the retail employees are still stuck at minimum wage? The people who work in the warehouses at my previous job got paid minimum wage and they did a lot more labor intensive work.
Old 04-04-13, 02:36 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie View Post
It's really not that labor intensive to work at a fast food chain though. The only way I see this working is if they raise minimum wage. Why should they pay the fast food people more money if the retail employees are still stuck at minimum wage? The people who work in the warehouses at my previous job got paid minimum wage and they did a lot more labor intensive work.
100% wrong.
Old 04-04-13, 02:37 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Wages need to go up across the board. The "woe is me" line of bullshit corporate America is pulling is just that - bullshit.

I absolutely love the line of bullshit that conservatives are gulping down known as "uncertainty".
Old 04-04-13, 02:38 PM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

Picking fruit sucks too. It's much harder physically than most anyone here works. It's called unskilled labor. I agree with Krayzie that raising the minimum wage is the only way to make this work. For 15 bucks plus healthcare, these workers would probably all lose their jobs any way as more skilled older folks looking to supplement their income and healthcare move in, and screw up fewer orders in the process. Then these people can go pick fruit for minimum wage.

Of course, it doesn't have to be this way. Companies like McDonald's could be more loving and caring towards their employees. There are smaller burger places (around here any way) that take very good care of their employees. Perhaps this will bring enough awareness to the fact that McD's pays so little that people stop going there. For some reason I doubt that, and they will find new workers if these people walk.
Old 04-04-13, 02:41 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Dude, there are no fruit trees in New York City.
Old 04-04-13, 02:44 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
100% wrong.
It can be labor intensive, but it is unskilled labor, and worthy of minimum wage. The problem is minimum wage is too low.
Old 04-04-13, 02:44 PM   #39
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Dude, there are no fruit trees in New York City.
I think you kinda missed the point of the post...
Old 04-04-13, 02:50 PM   #40
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
I absolutely love the line of bullshit that conservatives are gulping down known as "uncertainty".
Right? You mean the future isn't certain!? Thanks Obama!
Old 04-04-13, 02:52 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
I think you kinda missed the point of the post...
It was a joke! At least make a good analogy.

Are fruit pickers woefully underpaid? I don't know. Probably. If they are, they should raise the price of fruit. THAT is the point. Paying someone shit because they accept shit in America isn't noble. It's either the ownership taking home profits on the backs of these poor workers or the consumer expecting to pay unreasonably low prices for fruit.
Old 04-04-13, 02:56 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
It can be labor intensive, but it is unskilled labor, and worthy of minimum wage. The problem is minimum wage is too low.
Generally, unskilled labor is the hardest labor of them all.
Old 04-04-13, 02:59 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
For 15 bucks plus healthcare, these workers would probably all lose their jobs any way as more skilled older folks looking to supplement their income and healthcare move in, and screw up fewer orders in the process.
Good point. Most people work at McDonalds because they have to. $15 bucks/hour would just lead to others, who wouldn't work there now because they do not have to, and who can make more elsewhere, to re-think that decision. A $15/hour wage would allow the managers at McDonald's to be more selective in who they hire, as their talent pool just increased. And those who work there now, many because they are just not very good employees and therefore cannot find better-paying jobs elsewhere, would be squeezed out.
Old 04-04-13, 03:00 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

And this attitude of "fuck 'em, they accept it, if they want to earn more get a new job" is infuriating. There is a baseline of human dignity in America and it ain't $7.25 an hour.
Old 04-04-13, 03:01 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Generally, unskilled labor is the hardest labor of them all.
Right, but that's why people get educations or learn trades. Now not everyone has that opportunity, but somebody has to make minimum wage. It should most certainly be increased, though.
Old 04-04-13, 03:05 PM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
It was a joke! At least make a good analogy.

Are fruit pickers woefully underpaid? I don't know. Probably. If they are, they should raise the price of fruit. THAT is the point. Paying someone shit because they accept shit in America isn't noble. It's either the ownership taking home profits on the backs of these poor workers or the consumer expecting to pay unreasonably low prices for fruit.
Your solution seems to always just raise prices. You might help the min wage employee by increasing their wage, but what about the guy making $10 an hour? Now his income isn't worth what it used to be.
Old 04-04-13, 03:07 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

The only way the working class will ever get a decent wage, not extravagant, just a living wage, is if they make the wealthy pay it to them. Period.

A shame so few are involved in this.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 04-04-13, 03:14 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You don't think McDonalds mastered their efficiencies a LONG time ago?
Some yes, but innovation, efficiency and newer cheaper ways of doing things continue to evolve. I have a family member that has been with MCD for quite some time. You would be surprised at how many new things they come up with year after year.

Quote:
This is about franchise owners taking as much profit as mathematically possible.
you say that like it is a negative thing
Old 04-04-13, 03:16 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
The only way the working class will ever get a decent wage, not extravagant, just a living wage, is if they make the wealthy pay it to them. Period.

A shame so few are involved in this.
Right and it's not just minimum wage that is too low, it's all wages except the very top. Families with 2 working parents making "middle class" salaries are still struggling to put food on the table and pay outrageous childcare costs. What happened to one parent staying home with the kids and the other parent making a liveable wage? Productivity goes up, inflation really goes up, but wages stay stagnant if not decrease.
Old 04-04-13, 03:29 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
What happened to one parent staying home with the kids and the other parent making a liveable wage?
Cable, cell phones, instant gratification with purchases, people buying stupid shit, etc.

I'm not stating an opinion one way or the other, but people spend a lot more money than they used to, and a good chunk of it is stuff they don't actually need. Many families could probably actually live on one income if they did what it takes to do so. My family could, but we have chosen the advantages that come along with being a dual-income family.