Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-08-17, 06:43 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: EPA: 55% of US River/Stream Miles in Poor Condition

I don't know. Anything would have been better than what they did. One solution might be to do nothing and build a bigger dyke. Leave it underground forever like nuclear waste.
Old 08-08-17, 06:54 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Who the fuck cares about a sustainable environment? We've got walls to build and immigrants to deport!
Old 08-08-17, 07:57 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I don't know. Anything would have been better than what they did. One solution might be to do nothing and build a bigger dyke. Leave it underground forever like nuclear waste.
I don't know either. All I've had is training in hazardous waste emergency response, which included a little knowledge of remediation. But the EPA has PhD scientists who do know. They're experts. I trust their judgement.

Nuclear waste is a bad analogy. Nuclear waste is buried deep underground in salt chambers. The presence of salt shows that there hasn't been any water there in millions of years. It's not behind twenty feet of soil on a hillside overlooking a river.
Old 08-08-17, 08:52 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Who the fuck cares about a sustainable environment? We've got walls to build and immigrants to deport!
There's our bigger dyke!
Old 08-08-17, 09:04 PM   #30
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Old 08-09-17, 07:08 AM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There's our bigger dyke!
*curtsy*
Old 08-09-17, 12:37 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I don't know either. All I've had is training in hazardous waste emergency response, which included a little knowledge of remediation. But the EPA has PhD scientists who do know. They're experts. I trust their judgement.

Nuclear waste is a bad analogy. Nuclear waste is buried deep underground in salt chambers. The presence of salt shows that there hasn't been any water there in millions of years. It's not behind twenty feet of soil on a hillside overlooking a river.
You trust their judgment? They assessed the situation, took action, and caused a major disaster, then tried to shirk responsibility, and are only now considering taking some responsibility.

Remember, the billions of dollars for paying off everyone who suffered loses doesn't come out of a magic pot. It's our tax dollars.
Old 08-09-17, 01:00 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You trust their judgment? They assessed the situation, took action, and caused a major disaster...
In that sense, you can't trust anyone to do anything. So why try? It's a matter of philosophy, I suppose.

Industrial accidents happen all the time. With the help of heavy regulations, less-so in the USA than anywhere else.
Old 08-09-17, 01:18 PM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
You trust their judgment? They assessed the situation, took action, and caused a major disaster, then tried to shirk responsibility, and are only now considering taking some responsibility.

Remember, the billions of dollars for paying off everyone who suffered loses doesn't come out of a magic pot. It's our tax dollars.
Depending on what stats you go by, 1% - 4% of people who have a routine surgery at the hospital end up dead from complications. Applying your logic, no one should ever get a surgery unless it's a last resort and the judgment of surgeons in general should not be trusted.
Old 08-09-17, 01:27 PM   #35
Time Lord

Quote:
All I know about the Colorado situation is that it was an inept EPA cleanup effort that triggered it. It's probably best to let sleeping polluted mines lie, if the clean up effort is potentially going to cause a disaster.
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and say the EPA should have done anything other than what they did, but you don't know what the other options were, what the chance of failure on the strategy they did take was, or even the data they were working off of.

As Nick mentioned, there are many sites the EPA cleans up, and the majority of them don't lead to disasters. It's like judging NASA solely on the Challenger explosion.
Old 08-09-17, 01:28 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't a surgery always a last resort. There's cosmetic surgery of course, but with regards to real surgery isn't the doctor's goal to stave off having to resort to full surgery?