Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-21-13, 03:24 PM   #26
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Re: LBJ on Nixon: Traitor

LBJ was great in making the correct decisions. But, when it came to Vietnam, for some unknown reason, he attempted to delegate the decisions to others - mainly in the military. He relied on what turned out to be incompetency in our military leadership in Vietnam.
Old 03-21-13, 03:57 PM   #27
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
LBJ was great in making the correct decisions. But, when it came to Vietnam, for some unknown reason, he attempted to delegate the decisions to others - mainly in the military. He relied on what turned out to be incompetency in our military leadership in Vietnam.
Yeah, I remember all those "Great Society" decisions. We're so much better off because of them.

Or are you referring to LeBron James?
Old 04-17-13, 07:12 PM   #28
FRwL
En vacance

I used to like Nixon as shown in previous threads i made on him, but changed my mind, he's a creepy weird fuck.
Old 04-17-13, 07:54 PM   #29
Supermallet
Time Lord

He didn't bang enough women for you, did he?
Old 04-17-13, 08:00 PM   #30
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
I used to like Nixon as shown in previous threads i made on him, but changed my mind, he's a creepy weird fuck.
True, but name a politician in a high office that isn't a creepy weird fuck.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 04-17-13, 11:06 PM   #31
FRwL
En vacance

Yes that is ironically the reason i think. Fuck him. I'll take the bamboozling JFK instead.
Old 04-18-13, 01:23 AM   #32
Supermallet
Time Lord

You need help man.
Old 06-09-14, 10:19 PM   #33
duff beer
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know why Nixon achieved Detente with the Soviets in the 70s in contrast with Reagan who did Cold War Redux in the 80s? Was the Republic party not of one mind or something?

Also i'm trying to wonder how accurate is this assessment that he sabotaged the Paris Peace talks?
Old 06-09-14, 10:30 PM   #34
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff beer View Post
Does anyone know why Nixon achieved Detente with the Soviets in the 70s in contrast with Reagan who did Cold War Redux in the 80s? Was the Republic party not of one mind or something?
The Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979. The Cold War was "back on" before Reagan took office.
Quote:
Also i'm trying to wonder how accurate is this assessment that he sabotaged the Paris Peace talks?
He allegedly tried keep the President of South Vietnam out of the peace talks until after the election, but it was moot because the President wasn't negotiating anyway.
Old 06-09-14, 11:57 PM   #35
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
The Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979. The Cold War was "back on" before Reagan took office.
True, but even in '76, Reagan was much more Hawkish toward the U.S.S.R. than Ford. Both parties definitely had much more internal ideological diversity during the detente era, and there were proponents and opponents of detente in each.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 06-10-14, 12:15 AM   #36
duff beer
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh i basically found out my own answer, 70s and pre-ussr was strong so nixon could only placate with them while in the 80s they were rotting inside out so reagan could fuck with them.
Old 06-10-14, 12:21 AM   #37
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Oh i basically found out my own answer, 70s and pre-ussr was strong so nixon could only placate with them while in the 80s they were rotting inside out so reagan could fuck with them.
That's not a good answer. Nobody in the west realized how bad things were in the USSR until it fell apart. The reality is that you had people all along who were saying to take a hard line with them, and you had people all along arguing for detente.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 06-10-14, 12:25 AM   #38
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The USSR was on a slow decline from 1973 to dissolution. They had really effective propaganda in the 80s. Then again, so did we.
Old 06-10-14, 10:45 AM   #39
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I liked LBJ. He can't be all bad - Jackie Kennedy liked him.
Old 06-10-14, 11:06 AM   #40
Ky-Fi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's not a good answer. Nobody in the west realized how bad things were in the USSR until it fell apart.
This is true, and for me personally, this was one of the great lessons as to how quickly history can turn, and how even the experts can be blindsided in regards to massive historical changes.

In 1987 I was in college, and I studied abroad for a semester in Denmark. I was studying history, and took a class on the Soviet Union, and the professor was a NATO adviser, and one of the leading Danish experts on the Soviet Union (and he was fairly conservative, and no fan of the Soviets). Our class included a 2 week visit to Moscow and Leningrad, as well. I remember the class itself was pretty intensive, and very up-to-date as far as current developments in the Soviet Union. On the trip there, there were posters and signs everywhere celebrating the 70th anniversary of the revolution. I don't remember the professor or anyone in class EVER suggesting anything remotely like the idea that the Soviet Union was on its last legs. As I recall, the idea that in 3-4 years the Soviet Union would just disintegrate would have gotten you laughed out of the room.
Old 06-10-14, 02:50 PM   #41
Shoveler
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So .... if we both agree that Nixon did scummy things and Kennedy did scummy things, why are we arguing?

I am officially creepy -- hilts
Old 06-10-14, 03:43 PM   #42
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Yeah, I remember all those "Great Society" decisions. We're so much better off because of them.

Or are you referring to LeBron James?
You don't believe Medicare is a good program?

There are millions of people who would disagree with you.
Old 06-10-14, 03:55 PM   #43
Shoveler
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
True, but name a politician in a high office that isn't a creepy weird fuck.

I am officially creepy -- hilts
Old 06-15-14, 03:05 AM   #44
duff beer
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need more clarification on Marianna Liu. It has recently come to my attention when perusing a site, that he had a Chinese mistress/hooker/hostess while he was in Hong Kong in 1958, this was filmed by British intelligence and so he could not fire Hoover who had the goods on him. How credible are these sources? Need intelligence reports on this thanks.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoi...sy-110320.html