Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-12, 08:29 AM   #51
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Re: The 2012 Presidential Election

Some (I'll argue not that many) women's issues. Those women who are that concerned with just women's issues will Democratic anyway.

Women are more interested in the same issues that men are.

Old 05-02-12, 08:33 AM   #52
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
''Can you point me where in the Constitution that detaining someone without trial is "Constitutional"?''

Lincoln suspended habeas corpus I think, and Roosevelt detained the California Japanese. You guys read the Constitution like the fundamentalists read the Bible. The Constitution means what the Supreme Court says it means, and when their opinion evolves, so does the Constitution.

Where in the Constitution does it say that blu ray region codes are allowable?
That's the problem we have, IMO. I don't believe SCOTUS should have the final say in what is constitutional & what is not. I've always believed that if the Congress by a 2/3 majority, signed by the President should be able overturn a ruling of SCOTUS.

I understand it would take a Constutional Amendment if that would come about. I think there would be much more merit in that proposed amendment than there was in the ERA amendment that failed to pass.

Old 05-02-12, 08:36 AM   #53
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Some (I'll argue not that many) women's issues. Those women who are that concerned with just women's issues will Democratic anyway.

Women are more interested in the same issues that men are.
Like equal pay for equal work?

Q: "Does Gov. Romney support the Lilly Ledbetter Act?"

A: "We'll get back to you on that."

Old 05-02-12, 08:38 AM   #54
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
That's the problem we have, IMO. I don't believe SCOTUS should have the final say in what is constitutional & what is not. I've always believed that if the Congress by a 2/3 majority, signed by the President should be able overturn a ruling of SCOTUS.

I understand it would take a Constutional Amendment if that would come about. I think there would be much more merit in that proposed amendment than there was in the ERA amendment that failed to pass.
What a horrible idea.

Old 05-02-12, 08:40 AM   #55
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

Yes! I believe the majority of women realize that if the economy tanks the Lilly Ledbetter Act won't matter anyway.

Old 05-02-12, 08:43 AM   #56
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
What a horrible idea.
Why is it a horrible idea? Do you honestly believe that 5 members of SCOTUS who have lifetime appointments should have the final say over what an overwhelming majority of the other 2 branches of government, who don't have lifetime appoints, say?

Old 05-02-12, 08:46 AM   #57
classicman2
DVD Talk God

As I recall, you didn't believe that 7 members of SCOTUS should overturn a vote count in certain counties in Florida. Remember?

Old 05-02-12, 08:52 AM   #58
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Morning Joe has become my morning comedy show.

This a.m. his guests were saying how critical it was for Mayor Bloomberg to endorse Romeny. Why?
Whether he endorses him or not doesn't make any difference. NY will vote for Obama in the general election.

Old 05-02-12, 09:12 AM   #59
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why is it a horrible idea? Do you honestly believe that 5 members of SCOTUS who have lifetime appointments should have the final say over what an overwhelming majority of the other 2 branches of government, who don't have lifetime appoints, say?
Five guys who are free to make the best decision without worrying about the carbon blobs voting them out in the next election? Yeah. Yeah, I trust them much more than congresscritters and Presidents who have to give a rub-n-tug to the electorate.

Old 05-02-12, 09:30 AM   #60
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Yes! I believe the majority of women realize that if the economy tanks the Lilly Ledbetter Act won't matter anyway.
Seems to me we are in recovery and the "tanking" happened in 2008/9.

Old 05-02-12, 11:02 AM   #61
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Seems to me that you would have a different take on the 'recovery' if a Repub was in the White House.

Old 05-02-12, 11:05 AM   #62
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Five guys who are free to make the best decision without worrying about the carbon blobs voting them out in the next election? Yeah. Yeah, I trust them much more than congresscritters and Presidents who have to give a rub-n-tug to the electorate.
That's all fine and dandy if members of the Court had the same view of The Constitution. They don't - and haven't had in at least since the turn of the 18th Century.

Old 05-02-12, 12:38 PM   #63
clappj
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Obama Likes His Odds

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...now-than-2008/

I belong to no organized political party - I am a Democrat. -Will Rogers

Old 05-02-12, 12:49 PM   #64
X
Administrator

Yeah, he was still in a primary battle this time in 2008.

Old 05-02-12, 02:39 PM   #65
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post
Yeah, he was still in a primary battle this time in 2008.
I voted for Hillary in the Democratic Party. Don't blame me.

Old 05-02-12, 02:48 PM   #66
X
Administrator

Quote:
I voted for Hillary in the Democratic Party. Don't blame me.
I would have, had she won. She'd probably be as good a president as she is a SoS. And the standard of what we accept as president would have gone down even further than it is now.

Old 05-02-12, 04:12 PM   #67
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
Romney is winning most of the beauty contests
He is incredibly handsome.

PSN: Chiwotweiler

Old 05-02-12, 04:34 PM   #68
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti4623 View Post
Unless the economy rapidly improves over the year, this will be a pretty close election. I think Obama will have a slight win, if the economy holds up. Romney is too standard/average. He needs the reconomy to dip again.

If Obama runs a smart campaign, and the perception of the economy, is that it's going in the right direction. That should be enough for a slight win. Romney just isn't exciting or likeable enough.
I agree. This is really 2004 all over again. Dems thought that they were sure to defeat GWB, but he ran a good campaign and Kerry was too boring.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser

Old 05-02-12, 07:22 PM   #69
BKenn01
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

Really, I would think this is only important to feminist who live in a fantasy world. If someone doesnt "get" that women are winning they arent paying attention. Do some research or better yet go meet some young people. You will find a lot of males of all races not working, not going to college, living with their parents all the while their female counterparts are going to college and are focusing on their future.

The old argument that the only reason males make more than females is the child bearing years may really not be correct. Women are going to be beating them out anyway.

And as usual our government will make policy that is not needed and will in fact make it harder once everyone wakes the hell up and realizes young males are in a crisis state.

But its ok for the left to continue to push the victim mentality. Hope you dont have any young boys because their future isnt so bright unless they are really motivated.

Old 05-02-12, 10:54 PM   #70
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
That's all fine and dandy if members of the Court had the same view of The Constitution. They don't - and haven't had in at least since the turn of the 18th Century.
There's a singular interpretation of the Constitution? Perhaps you should persuade those members of the SCOTUS you disagree with that your version is the correct one.

Old 05-02-12, 11:09 PM   #71
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
So? I don't see how that's an argument for a Congressional supermajority + the President being a better judge of issues.

Old 05-03-12, 07:41 AM   #72
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I believe in a balance of power between the 3 branches of government - checks & balances. I think that was intended when the Committee to Draft wrote The Constitution.

What is the check on the Supreme Court? They have lifetime appointments.

Which branch has a better judge of the issues is immaterial.

Old 05-03-12, 09:31 AM   #73
coli
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I agree. This is really 2004 all over again. Dems thought that they were sure to defeat GWB, but he ran a good campaign and Kerry was too boring.
I agree it will be a close election and whatever shape the economy is after labor day, that will determine if Obama gets another 4 years.

I will say if the economy is no better come the fall, I really believe there is an opening for a third party candidate to run against Washington establishment and the national debt (Like Ross Perot did in 1992). Whether Obama or Romney wins in 2012, we all know neither will do squat about the deficit, and I would love to see a credible 3rd party candidate get in there an shake up this election.

Old 05-03-12, 09:35 AM   #74
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I believe in a balance of power between the 3 branches of government - checks & balances. I think that was intended when the Committee to Draft wrote The Constitution.

What is the check on the Supreme Court? They have lifetime appointments.

Which branch has a better judge of the issues is immaterial.
Appointment, impeachment, Constitutional Amendments ...

Old 05-03-12, 09:39 AM   #75
wendersfan

Never mind the fact that the SCOTUS can't just decide to decide on an issue, it has to be brought before them.

Regardless, this is the 2012 Presidential Election thread, not the, "they don't do things the way the Framers intended" thread.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)

Sponsored Links
Closed Thread