Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-22-12, 01:49 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
How? How do you know he didnt? Maybe he was trying to talk it out and Zimmerman pulled his gun.
Maybe Martin was fighting for HIS life when this stranger approached him armed and ready to not "let one get away". Maybe Martin was afraid of some gun toting stragner who had been following him.

You guys have no problem just believing Zimmerman is the angel. How is that any different from me believing Martin wasn't the initial aggressor? You guys don't allow anyone to give Martin the benefit of doubt. You guys are hypocritical in this area and not even honest enough to admit it.

But hey, that's how Americans rolls.....
I certainly don't think zimmerman is an angel, he easily could have stopped this before it started. As I said before, you have two people who were probably suspicious of each other, and a terrible set of circumstances. It's likely either one could have stopped this, but those circumstances didn't allow either one to behave like an adult and calm things down.

And I've seen nothing to suggest that zimmerman had his gun out anytime before their confrontation, so martin wouldn't have known he was gun-toting stranger.
Old 04-22-12, 01:57 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think some people give Zimmerman the benefit of the doubt because the first thing he did was to call police. Most people do not summon the police and then murder someone in cold blood. Additionally, this isn't the first time he'd called police on what he thought was a suspicious person, and he hadn't just shot them before.

That said, I have no opinion in this case, and won't until the evidence is presented at trial.
Old 04-22-12, 02:00 PM   #78
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
I certainly don't think zimmerman is an angel, he easily could have stopped this before it started. As I said before, you have two people who were probably suspicious of each other, and a terrible set of circumstances. It's likely either one could have stopped this, but those circumstances didn't allow either one to behave like an adult and calm things down.
Ok, fair enough. But all we have is Zimmerman's word and the word of some Witnesses who only saw a small portion of the struggle. Hell, come to think of it...did any witness actually say they saw Zimmerman getting his head bashed?

Quote:

And I've seen nothing to suggest that zimmerman had his gun out anytime before their confrontation, so martin wouldn't have known he was gun-toting stranger.
I've seen nothing to suggest that Zimmerman DIDN'T have his gun out at any time. How are you so sure he didn't have his gun out? We are BOTH speculating correct? So let's be honest about that FACT...it's SPECULATION.
Old 04-22-12, 02:06 PM   #79
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran View Post
I think some people give Zimmerman the benefit of the doubt because the first thing he did was to call police. Most people do not summon the police and then murder someone in cold blood. Additionally, this isn't the first time he'd called police on what he thought was a suspicious person, and he hadn't just shot them before.

Let me be clear, I DO NOT believe Zimmerman got up to kill a person that day. But I do believe his bad choices in those moments led to Martin's Death.

Quote:
That said, I have no opinion in this case, and won't until the evidence is presented at trial.
That's fine. But many have said that in here and in the other thread and have posted comments that clearly takes sides one way or the other. I'll take a chance and take a side on this. I could be very wrong. And although, I don't think we'll ever know the whole truth, especially since Martin is dead, I'll have to take that risk.
Old 04-22-12, 02:10 PM   #80
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Let me be clear, I DO NOT believe Zimmerman got up to kill a person that day. But I do believe his bad choices in those moments led to Martin's Death.

That's fine. But many have said that in here and in the other thread and have posted comments that clearly takes sides one way or the other. I'll take a chance and take a side on this. I could be very wrong. And although, I don't think we'll ever know the whole truth, especially since Martin is dead, I'll have to take that risk.
The only reason people are taking sides is because of the way the law is written. It makes it very hard to think Zimmerman is guilty of anything other then bad judgement. If this had happend in a state that dose not have a Stand your Ground or a Castle Doctrine law, it would be a very differnet outcome.
Old 04-22-12, 02:23 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
It's likely either one could have stopped this, but those circumstances didn't allow either one to behave like an adult and calm things down.
Well, one of them wasn't an adult, so it is hard to say he should have acted like an adult. He was a scared kid. Someone was stalking through the neighborhood.

I don't think Z will be found guilty.

Protect the 1st Amendment and the Constitution except if you post off topic!
Old 04-22-12, 02:47 PM   #82
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Well, one of them wasn't an adult, so it is hard to say he should have acted like an adult. He was a scared kid. Someone was stalking through the neighborhood.

Agree on all points.
Old 04-22-12, 03:02 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Martin hadn't been living in the vicinity for that long, which spawned curiosity from Zimmerman. Stalking implies you've done it repeatedly to one person. This was the first time Zimmerman and Martin had crossed paths. And if we are going to attach the term to Zimmerman, legal precedence would be much more critical because the cases concern a pattern of stalking behavior directed towards one individual.

If Martin was a scared kid...he would have ran away while calling the police, explaining to them a person was following him.

Instead, he confronts Zimmerman.

This is not indicative of a scared kid.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 04-22-12, 03:16 PM   #84
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If Martin was a scared kid...he would have ran away while calling the police, explaining to them a person was following him.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Since Martin had his cellphone available and was talking to his girlfriend, is there any record of either Martin or his girlfriend calling the police to notify them that a strange man was following/stalking him?
Old 04-22-12, 03:23 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Since Martin had his cellphone available and was talking to his girlfriend, is there any record of either Martin or his girlfriend calling the police to notify them that a strange man was following/stalking him?
I brought that up in the previous thread:

Quote:
Why didn't Martin call 911 if he was scared? If I was 17 walking alone at night and being followed by a creepy guy in a car and having a cell phone i would end the call with my GF and dial 911!
Something doesn't add up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 04-22-12, 03:50 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

The girlfriend says she believes at the end of the phone call Trayvon was been attacked yet it doesnt seem she tried to contact anyone. In fact if it was not for Mr Matin finding out about the phone call through the phone records it seems she would have never come forward.

It seems very strange. She heared her teenage boyfriend been attacked. She didnt have any contact with him afterwards yet she didnt try to contact the parents or the police to find out if he was alright.
Old 04-22-12, 06:19 PM   #87
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Martin hadn't been living in the vicinity for that long, which spawned curiosity from Zimmerman. Stalking implies you've done it repeatedly to one person. This was the first time Zimmerman and Martin had crossed paths. And if we are going to attach the term to Zimmerman, legal precedence would be much more critical because the cases concern a pattern of stalking behavior directed towards one individual.

3 times while I was a teenager growing up in Detroit, not the burbs, I was being stalked by someone. I confronted them each time even though I was scared. One of those times got my ass kicked pretty good till some folks broke it up. He is a kid, can't expect him to act like an adult.

I blame the adult in this situation. He is an adult, he is supposed to think like one. Z wasn't curious, he was a paranoid asshole.

Stalking has to be over several separate times, my ass. If you are in a car, following me slowly while I am walking, your ass is stalking me at that moment. For all the kid knew, Z could have been calling some of his buddies to confront him further in the neighborhood. Kid was scared, did what he thought needed to be done. The adult in this situation should have acted like an adult, not a paranoid peace of shit.

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 04-22-12 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 06:20 PM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by missflores View Post
It seems very strange. She heared her teenage boyfriend been attacked. She didnt have any contact with him afterwards yet she didnt try to contact the parents or the police to find out if he was alright.
I agree that doesn't add up. Why wouldn't she call the police or someone?

Old 04-22-12, 06:32 PM   #89
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I agree that doesn't add up. Why wouldn't she call the police or someone?
Maybe the last few words were "You got him, beat his head on the ground, get that white-hispanic". POW. oh oh.
Old 04-22-12, 06:34 PM   #90
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Maybe the last few words were "You got him, beat his head on the ground, get that white-hispanic". POW. oh oh.
I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

Old 04-22-12, 07:04 PM   #91
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

All speculation like the rest of us.
Old 04-22-12, 07:14 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
3 times while I was a teenager growing up in Detroit, not the burbs, I was being stalked by someone. I confronted them each time even though I was scared. One of those times got my ass kicked pretty good till some folks broke it up. He is a kid, can't expect him to act like an adult.

I blame the adult in this situation. He is an adult, he is supposed to think like one. Z wasn't curious, he was a paranoid asshole.

Stalking has to be over several separate times, my ass. If you are in a car, following me slowly while I am walking, your ass is stalking me at that moment. For all the kid knew, Z could have been calling some of his buddies to confront him further in the neighborhood. Kid was scared, did what he thought needed to be done. The adult in this situation should have acted like an adult, not a paranoid peace of shit.
For some reason you're stuck on one person being legally an adult the other a minor. Remember, such a minor could be charged as an "adult" under certain laws and Florida, coincidentally, will charge a minor as an adult if they commit certain crimes--no matter what the age, apparently.

So, where exactly does being a minor or an adult come into this situation. Because adults can be stupid, and minors can be rather smart. If anything, you're saying Zimmerman acted like a minor. Because minors, under Florida Law, can't make adult decisions for themselves responsibly.

I really don't think the Prosecution or Defense is going to argue the fact that Zimmerman was an adult under Florida Law, and Martin was a minor. I could be wrong, and we'll just have to see, I guess.

Quote:
All speculation like the rest of us.
Except for the fact Martin was recently living with his father (where the altercation happened) after being suspended from school for 10 days (and we haven't found out yet why and wouldn'tcha know, attorneys for Martin's family, have requested his school files be sealed--why is that? I thought he was such a wonderful person...according to his father who knows why Martin was recently living with him). Things aren't adding up. If Martin was doing something illegal in his past, then say it. Don't try to hide it. Because this conveys a conspiracy to keep Martin a victim. I remember when Zimmerman's past was brought up without an eye-blink from the other side.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-22-12 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 07:38 PM   #93
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Lots of interesting stuff.
Yep,some minors are very mature. Lots of adults are immature. Sure some minors are charged as an "adult" for certain crimes such as murder, etc.

My original post was a response to someone saying they both should have acted like adults. One of them legally isn't an adult. So the kid may have had the intention of kicking Z's ass after wondering why the dipshit was stalking him through the neighborhood. Sounds like a response that a big percentage of minors would have. Don't think the kid had the intention of kicking Z's ass when he left his house to buy some junk food.

Z is a fucking idiot. He won't be found guilty though. Z caused all of this. Fuck him.

Old 04-22-12, 10:25 PM   #94
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Except for the fact Martin was recently living with his father (where the altercation happened) after being suspended from school for 10 days (and we haven't found out yet why and wouldn'tcha know, attorneys for Martin's family, have requested his school files be sealed--why is that? I thought he was such a wonderful person...according to his father who knows why Martin was recently living with him). Things aren't adding up. If Martin was doing something illegal in his past, then say it. Don't try to hide it. Because this conveys a conspiracy to keep Martin a victim. I remember when Zimmerman's past was brought up without an eye-blink from the other side.

Martin was a loser. That doesn't mean he deserved to die. But I'll tell you this with all his problems only at 17 it seems like he didn't make smart decisions. I think attacking Zimmerman was his final stupid decision and that's not Zimmerman's fault.
Old 04-22-12, 11:36 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

Per the AP, George was released from jail.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 04-23-12, 12:59 AM   #96
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

I for one have never denied Martin's troubled last several weeks before his death, and, unlike people like you who buy Zimmerman's story sight unseen.... I've also never denied Zimmerman's past troubled VIOLENT past. But unlike many of you, I didn't make big deal about Zimmerman's VIOLENT past UNTIL people started trying to paint Martin as a Thug deserving what he got based on people believing Zimmerman's story of being attacked. A story I have a hard time believing.

But again, you're doing exactly what I'm doing...giving "Your Guy" the benefit of doubt. I can't really blame you for that.

But here's the IMPORTANT question: Was Martin doing something illegal the night he was killed?

SO FAR...nothing shows that he was doing anything other than minding his business while being stalked by Zimmerman. It is likely...and this is the same speculating that you yourself are engaged in.... that the only attack occurred AFTER Zimmerman gave him good reason to feel threatened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Martin was a loser. That doesn't mean he deserved to die. But I'll tell you this with all his problems only at 17 it seems like he didn't make smart decisions. I think attacking Zimmerman was his final stupid decision and that's not Zimmerman's fault.
Awe hell man, what 17yo doesn't make mistakes? Zimmerman is a grown ass man and he made mistakes that night that led to the death of Martin. And BTW....Zimmerman's VIOLENT past and overly zealous/paranoid behavior lets us know that he's not the level headed Guardian Angel "Team Zimmerman" makes him out to be. Perhaps his overly zealous behavior, paranoid thinking(where Black Males are concerned), and VIOLENT tendencies contributed to the death of an admittedly FLAWED but still human and most likely INNOCENT young man name TRAYVON MARTIN.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-23-12 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 01:23 AM   #97
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by missflores View Post
The girlfriend says she believes at the end of the phone call Trayvon was been attacked yet it doesnt seem she tried to contact anyone. In fact if it was not for Mr Matin finding out about the phone call through the phone records it seems she would have never come forward.

It does seem strange that she didn't call anyone. But she did try to call Martin back after the phone was dropped after she heard what sounded like a physical attack...but he didn't pick up.

Maybe she didn't have Martin's parent's phone number?
Old 04-23-12, 06:59 AM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The only reason people are taking sides is because of the way the law is written. It makes it very hard to think Zimmerman is guilty of anything other then bad judgement. If this had happend in a state that dose not have a Stand your Ground or a Castle Doctrine law, it would be a very differnet outcome.
People keep posting this, but I don't see how it's true. Perhaps a law otter can put this to bed once and for all? Maybe I'm missing something, but Stand Your Ground deals with whether you have a duty to retreat if someone is presenting an immediate threat to you. If you're unable to retreat, it doesn't have any bearing whatsoever. So if Zimmerman's telling the truth, it doesn't apply because he couldn't retreat. I don't think that any state that allows people to carry would convict a legally-carrying person for shooting someone who had them pinned to the ground and was bashing their head against it. And if Zimmerman is lying and wasn't being beaten when he shot Martin, Stand Your Ground doesn't apply as Martin was unarmed and couldn't have been posting an immediate threat to him.

Anyway, the whole crux of this thing is can it be PROVEN that Zimmerman committed a crime. If it can't, he gets off. And if there's no evidence that he did, he shouldn't even be charged. That's our system. Some people seem to have a real problem with this, but I personally prefer it to people being charged and convicted based on how much outrage the media can stir up or whether large members of the public at large can imagine a scenario they'd like to believe that would make a person guilty.
Old 04-23-12, 12:42 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Breaking News: Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee is going to resign.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 04-25-12, 11:49 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Reuters has the most detailed profile of Zimmerman I've read to date. I know it had previously been reported that the neighborhood had a rash of home break-ins, but this article gives some interesting details, particularly about Zimmerman's involvement in those incidents and how it may have shaped his thoughts and actions on the night he killed Martin.

EDIT: Updated with the correct link, thanks logrus9.

Last edited by wmansir; 04-26-12 at 02:18 PM.