Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-20-12, 12:09 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by Zimmerman...[Verdict: Not Guilty] ptII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Im assuming the prosecution had that picture, how are they going to convict him. Is the case going to be that he started the fight leading to the death. That’s the only thing I can think of, and really there is no real evidence of that only speculation.

I still think he should sue some of the TV networks, They have really F'ed up his life.
I read an article a few days ago saying that many Florida based defense attorneys they contacted said the state appeared to have a very weak case. They quoted one who was 15-0 in acquittals in self-defense cases that said under Florida law it doesn't matter who started a fight, all that matters is that at the moment he used deadly force the defendant reasonably feared for his life.

Last edited by wmansir; 04-20-12 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 12:14 PM   #27
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
With teenagers, crimes are usually crimes of opportunity. You have bored teens who wander around vandalize things break windows or jump people because they're at a very emotional 'invincible' stage in their life.

Maybe Zimmerman looked like some uptight prick who needed his ass beat and/or wallet stolen. Would you blame him for getting out of his car---for being an easy target?

I know you don't think T is a saint.

Or, maybe not...but we can agree to disagree. You assume the worst for Martin but for some reason that's ok, yet when I assume the worst of Zimmerman...I get shit from all the "Team Zimmerman" folks and I'm told to "wait for all the facts". That's fine.

Here's some Positive I'll give to Zimmerman just so you guys don't think I think he's all bad:

1. He was protecting his "territory".
2. He cared about the people in his community.
3. He wanted to "Protect and Serve".
4. He was zealous in his mission
5. His actions may have been legal
6. He has the benefit of doubt since he's still alive

Here's the Positive for Martin:

1. He was minding his business
2. He was legally allowed to be where he was
3. He was most likely standing his ground when confronted with a stranger following him.
4. He was able to stand his ground until the gun was used.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-20-12 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 01:26 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

i wonder if Martin did attack Zimmerman.... if those photos are true, what will celebrities, artists and the freaking president have to say then?
There is a master key and a spare key for the office. Dwight has them both. When I asked, "what if you die, Dwight? How will we get into the office?" He said, "if I'm dead, you guys have been dead for weeks."
Old 04-20-12, 01:32 PM   #29
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
i wonder if Martin did attack Zimmerman.... if those photos are true, what will celebrities, artists and the freaking president have to say then?
Nothing, they will stick their tail between their legs, and never speak of it again. Acting like it never happened
Old 04-20-12, 01:38 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Obama is already preparing a statement that if he had a son that attacked Zimmerman, the result would have been a lot like that photo.
Old 04-20-12, 01:41 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
3. He was most likely standing his ground when confronted with a stranger following him.
4. He was able to stand his ground until the gun was used.
Since we don't know how events transpired are you able to believe that it's possible T initiated contact? You know, maybe he saw Z and was pissed off that he was watching him and started the fight.

Or is your position that Z antagonized him and was simply deserving of a good beat down, end of story both guys live?
Old 04-20-12, 02:32 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, if the photo is real, there's no case.
Old 04-20-12, 02:50 PM   #33
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Or, maybe not...but we can agree to disagree. You assume the worst for Martin but for some reason that's ok, yet when I assume the worst of Zimmerman...I get shit from all the "Team Zimmerman" folks and I'm told to "wait for all the facts". That's fine.
There are definitely some 'Team Zimmerman' folks, but it's not fair to lump everyone who says wait for the facts into that category. There's really been no evidence released to indicate that Zimmerman's version of the story isn't true, at least in terms of how it affects the legality of his actions. Despite that, a lot of people very vocally think the man should go to jail or be strung up. To me, that's bullshit. If something like this goes down with no witness and the evidence doesn't indicate that the survivor actually committed crime, our system lets the person off. I don't know jack shit about Zimmerman, but I'm pro- innocent until proven guilty. If the all of the evidence backs what he says happened, as it seems to, I think it's a gross perversion of our system to put him on trial or punish him for what might've hypothetically happened.

My position on this has nothing to do with the race of anyone involved or the fact that Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch member or Martin was a kid in a hoodie or whatever. Say Zimmerman had ended up shot dead with no witnesses and Martin said some guy came running up to him, yelling with a gun out, and that he'd wrestled it away from him and shot him. If the evidence supported his story, I'd be just as against the media and large portions of the public calling him a murderer and demanding he be brought to justice, as well as a prosecutor caving to public pressure and bringing a case with no shot at a conviction.

Tragic as it is, this story would've been a blip and Zimmerman would've never been charged if the two parties were the same race or if the media hadn't jumped on and trumped up a sexy white vs black angle to it. The initial coverage of this whole ordeal was like journalists reporting as fact a game of telephone being played by uninformed people over Twitter.
Old 04-20-12, 03:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Wow, if the photo is real, there's no case.
Not necessarily, especially if the prosecutions assertion is that Zimmerman physically attacked Martin and during the altercation Martin got the upper hand.

(Not at all saying this is what happened, just giving a scenario in which the photo doesn't instantly exonerate Zimmerman)
Old 04-20-12, 03:13 PM   #35
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Obama is already preparing a statement that if he had a son that attacked Zimmerman, the result would have been a lot like that photo.

I think it's time for the president to have a beer with Zimmerman.
Old 04-20-12, 03:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Not necessarily, especially if the prosecutions assertion is that Zimmerman physically attacked Martin and during the altercation Martin got the upper hand.

(Not at all saying this is what happened, just giving a scenario in which the photo doesn't instantly exonerate Zimmerman)
Too bad the lead investigator said today in court that he didn't know who started the altercation.
Old 04-20-12, 05:11 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Warning Graphic Photo: Possible New Evidence Shows George Zimmerman's Bloodied Head
Yeah and if I recall correctly, on the video where he got out of the police car at the station, he didn't even have a band-aid on his head. Meh...
Old 04-20-12, 05:14 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Yeah and if I recall correctly, on the video where he got out of the police car at the station, he didn't even have a band-aid on his head. Meh...
It doesn't take that much a blow to the head to really knock you for a loop to where you see stars & can't fight back.
Old 04-20-12, 05:19 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
From what I remember your skull will bleed more than other parts of the body. From the looks of the photo he got a couple cuts and blood had dribbled down so it looked worse than it was. Probably didn't need any stitches, just some cleaning up.

Not sure why this photo is such a big deal since we already knew there was some kind of a struggle.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 04-20-12, 05:21 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly. But leave it to the media to unearth a "smoking gun" and make it sound like he's lucky to have survived such massive head wounds.
Old 04-20-12, 06:03 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hero

DVDTalk Achievement Unlocked: Made a thread long enough that it produces a sequel.

*tear
Old 04-20-12, 06:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Absolutely nothing is still Zimmerman fault

If I start following someone when I'm told not to and then I go and say what you doing walking in my territory
Spoiler:
then someone pulls a gun and blows my brains out I think my dead self would have to admit is my fault for being a fucking idiot snooping around where I wasn't called.

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 04-20-12, 06:31 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Absolutely nothing is still Zimmerman fault

If I start following someone when I'm told not to and then I go and say what you doing walking in my territory
Spoiler:
then someone pulls a gun and blows my brains out I think my dead self would have to admit is my fault for being a fucking idiot snooping around where I wasn't called.
It's his neighborhood too. He has every right to be concerned just as much as Martin has every right to be walking around. Someone in the previous thread made a great analogy about how if a woman goes down a dark alley and gets raped is it her fault because she shouldn't have been there in the first place?

There should also be nothing wrong with asking what someone is doing in their neighborhood that they don't recognize. I was confronted a few years back when pet sitting in a rich neighborhood. I stuck out like sore thumb and the guy had every right to be suspicious of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 04-20-12, 06:37 PM   #44

A small cut on the head versus a life ending gunshot wound to the chest.

I declare Zimmerman the winner of that fight.
Old 04-20-12, 06:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
It's his neighborhood too. He has every right to be concerned just as much as Martin has every right to be walking around. Someone in the previous thread made a great analogy about how if a woman goes down a dark alley and gets raped is it her fault because she shouldn't have been there in the first place?

There should also be nothing wrong with asking what someone is doing in their neighborhood that they don't recognize. I was confronted a few years back when pet sitting in a rich neighborhood. I stuck out like sore thumb and the guy had every right to be suspicious of me.
That is the difference I consider that very wrong

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 04-20-12, 06:45 PM   #46
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Yes, but what you will also note in the video is you can clearly see one of the officers take a look at the back of his head as well. IMO, looking at what happened to him, and just because you have no bandage means nothing obviously. Proper medical attention will do wonders you know.
Old 04-20-12, 07:58 PM   #47
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
I read an article a few days ago saying that many Florida based defense attorneys they contacted said the state appeared to have a very weak case. They quoted one who was 15-0 in acquittals in self-defense cases that said under Florida law it doesn't matter who started a fight, all that matters is that at the moment he used deadly force the defendant reasonably feared for his life.
Kinda what I eluded to earlier but Ted Nugent said it was a pile of bullshit.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 04-21-12, 12:04 AM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Prosecutor going to waste millions of tax payor dollars to give a show. No way you are going to get 12 guilty votes
Old 04-21-12, 12:08 AM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Prosecutor going to waste millions of tax payor dollars to give a show. No way you are going to get 12 guilty votes
Agreed. Though I wouldn't call it a waste, I'm pretty sure most Florida tax payers want to watch the show even if doesn't end the way they want it.
Old 04-21-12, 12:27 AM   #50
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Exactly. But leave it to the media to unearth a "smoking gun" and make it sound like he's lucky to have survived such massive head wounds.
Exactly.