Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-12-12, 06:26 PM   #1
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

North Korea has launched a long range rocket!

Just breaking.
Old 04-12-12, 06:27 PM   #2
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Re: North Korea has launched a long range rocket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle too View Post
Just breaking.
Yes, it probably is.

We'll see if the younger Il is any better at rocketeering than his father was.

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 04-12-12, 06:28 PM   #3
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Yes, it probably is.

We'll see if the younger Il is any better at rocketeering than his father was.
Nope.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...1#.T4dluY4ycjc
Old 04-12-12, 06:30 PM   #4
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Well, at least he deprived his citizens of food for a good cause.

Also, I was incorrect in calling him Il. He is Un.

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 04-12-12, 06:34 PM   #5
X
Administrator

Did you get it into Wikipedia yet?
Old 04-12-12, 06:35 PM   #6
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Well, at least he deprived his citizens of food for a good cause.

Also, I was incorrect in calling him Il. He is Un.
I just go with Il II to avoid any confusion.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 04-12-12, 07:06 PM   #7
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Reports from US, South Korean and Japanese officials suggest the launch failed shortly after take-off.

"The flying object is believed to have flown for more than one minute and fallen into the ocean. This does not affect our country's territory at all," news agency AFP quoted Japanese Defence Minister Naiki Tanaka as saying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17698438
"Flying object"
Old 04-12-12, 07:42 PM   #8
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
"Flying object"
A polite way of saying "pile of crap"

From what I saw on TV, I'm surprised this thing made it off the construction crane, er, launch pad.
Old 04-12-12, 07:43 PM   #9
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of these days I say we let South Korea just obliterate North Korea. The "war" would likely not last the weekend and we'd finally be done with them. I'm fairly certain that the general quality of life of the average North Korean citizen would be improved with the political change as well.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 04-13-12, 08:50 AM   #10
arminius
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
"Flying object"
I can't believe some of the comments on that news story.

"8.Raj Blake
13 Hours ago
Amazing how the propaganda machine has churned over this story. Any country that doesn't fall into the West's view of things is subject to it's spin doctor's wrath. America with-holds food aid from a million people in North Korea, and the media here doesn't bat an eyelid.

Treat other country's with respect, and accept that they have the right to their own way of life."

"562.Drunken Hobo
2 Hours ago
Many are saying that it was a waste of money that could have been used to help reduce poverty in the country, but that's not how it works. This rocket launch will have created thousands of jobs in North Korea and will help the country progress into the space age. Satellites are a huge part of the Western economy, so this can only help North Korea. Well, if they can get the next one right it will."

"
253.Colinlondon1
6 Hours ago
Can we not try to get closer to N Korea and show them a route to a more open society Surly by including them in as many org is the adult thing to do Be inclusive and open allows openness in both directions The rhetoric used by the USA and others is appalling effectively saying Do it our way or else So last Century Other countries need to speak openly against USA militaristic views and actions"

Old 04-13-12, 09:42 AM   #11
Talkin2Phil
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend's comment:
Quote:
So Kim Jong Un's inaugural missile lasted less than a minute before blowing its load all over the Pacific. Ah, youth.
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 04-13-12, 11:41 AM   #12
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
"Flying object"
That person quoted Japanese is. Japanese language like not English. Grammar different. Translation much difficult. Stupid sound when bad translators translate bad.
Old 04-13-12, 12:07 PM   #13
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
That person quoted Japanese is. Japanese language like not English. Grammar different. Translation much difficult. Stupid sound when bad translators translate bad.
Quote:
Japan's Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka also confirmed that the launched failed.

"We have confirmed that a certain flying object has been launched and fell after flying for just over a minute," he said.
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=63

In context less of a "lost in translation" moment and more of a slam against North Korea. Or Rodan.
Old 04-13-12, 12:11 PM   #14
arminius
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I took it as an insult to NK, rather than calling it a missle or rocket, it was just some thing they flung into the air.
Old 04-13-12, 12:26 PM   #15
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=63

In context less of a "lost in translation" moment and more of a slam against North Korea. Or Rodan.
"A certain _______" is a stock phrase that you find in a lot of bad translations of Japanese lit and movies, along with "that person" and "you are an existence."
Old 04-13-12, 12:29 PM   #16
Mabuse
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post

"8.Raj Blake
13 Hours ago
Amazing how the propaganda machine has churned over this story. Any country that doesn't fall into the West's view of things is subject to it's spin doctor's wrath. America with-holds food aid from a million people in North Korea, and the media here doesn't bat an eyelid.

Treat other country's with respect, and accept that they have the right to their own way of life."

"562.Drunken Hobo
2 Hours ago
Many are saying that it was a waste of money that could have been used to help reduce poverty in the country, but that's not how it works. This rocket launch will have created thousands of jobs in North Korea and will help the country progress into the space age. Satellites are a huge part of the Western economy, so this can only help North Korea. Well, if they can get the next one right it will."

"
253.Colinlondon1
6 Hours ago
Can we not try to get closer to N Korea and show them a route to a more open society Surly by including them in as many org is the adult thing to do Be inclusive and open allows openness in both directions The rhetoric used by the USA and others is appalling effectively saying Do it our way or else So last Century Other countries need to speak openly against USA militaristic views and actions"

Where do people "learn" to be like this? It's like they're brain damaged.
Old 04-13-12, 01:02 PM   #17
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
"A certain _______" is a stock phrase that you find in a lot of bad translations of Japanese lit and movies, along with "that person" and "you are an existence."
Here is the press conference, care to provide us with your translation O'Hara-san?
Old 04-13-12, 01:35 PM   #18
Kmical
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loved some of the opinions expressed about the failure:

Quote:
In downtown Pyongyang, university student Kim Kwang Jin was sanguine about the news.

"I'm not too disappointed. There was always the chance of failure," he said. "Other nations — including China and Russia — have had failures while building their space programs so why wouldn't we? I hope that in the future, we're able to build a better satellite."
Might be more helpful to build a working rocket instead of building a more expensive satellite destined to splash down in the ocean minutes after launch.

Quote:
"Scientists, technicians and experts are now being lined up and shot looking into the cause of the failure," North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said in a report, which was also read out in a news broadcast on state-run television.
Old 04-13-12, 02:20 PM   #19
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Where do people "learn" to be like this? It's like they're brain damaged.
College -- liberal poli sci professors.
Old 04-13-12, 02:21 PM   #20
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I took it as an insult to NK, rather than calling it a missle or rocket, it was just some thing they flung into the air.
That's not a missile, that's a fizzle.
Old 04-13-12, 02:58 PM   #21
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

It was actually just one of these.

Old 04-13-12, 03:01 PM   #22
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

They are getting WORSE at missle building. But what really shocks me is that they admitted it failed internally. In the hermit kingdom, that might be the most baffling and shocking news report any of the citizens have ever seen.

Some commentators are speculating that Un will use this public failure to garner support to push his opposition out, or scarier, blame South Korea in a sabatoge plot.
Old 04-13-12, 03:14 PM   #23
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

"8.Raj Blake
13 Hours ago

"562.Drunken Hobo
2 Hours ago

"
253.Colinlondon1
6 Hours ago

In the comments section of The Economist, there are posters who always praise the actions of the Chinese government. It's almost as if they were employed by the Ministry of Truth. Maybe North Korea is following their example.
Old 04-13-12, 03:58 PM   #24
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

That first comment is silly. It's basically "leave them alone and respect their way of life" but it also chastises the US for not giving them aid.
Old 04-13-12, 04:05 PM   #25
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
or scarier, blame South Korea in a sabatoge plot.
I was thinking about that too. Apparently, there were some foreign journalists in NK for the "launch". Wouldn't have been too hard to accuse one of them of sabotage and make their lives very miserable.
Sponsored Links