Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-19-12, 12:08 PM   #101
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Way to go, ladies ... let's keep women at each other's throats, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
No analogy is perfect. There are some minor differences and some similarities. The point is that both said something that, in reality, was a throw away comment and got skewered by it because people suddenly found an opportunity in which fake rage could play well.

And who changed their vote over either statement? No one. It's just political theater.
Sorry, calling a woman a "whore" is pretty loathsome in any context except promiscuous women or prostitutes. And even then, its insulting. I know this forum loves that word though. I'm not sure what insulting name Anne Romney was called.
Old 04-19-12, 12:40 PM   #102
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps if Hilary Rosen had started with, "The Romneys do not have to face economic hardships like so many Americans do...," then maybe she would have had a point to be discussed. No, Hilary Rosen went directly after Ann Romney -- for a comment made by Mitt, not by Ann -- and no amount of context or backpedaling can salvage what she said after, "His wife has actually never worked a day in her life!"
Old 04-19-12, 01:14 PM   #103
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Maybe. I don't see them as much more out of touch than Michelle Obama saying she didn't have the luxury of staying home with the kids while they were still making enough to be in the top tax bracket with a 6 figure income.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 04-19-12, 02:50 PM   #104
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Perhaps if Hilary Rosen had started with, "The Romneys do not have to face economic hardships like so many Americans do...," then maybe she would have had a point to be discussed. No, Hilary Rosen went directly after Ann Romney -- for a comment made by Mitt, not by Ann -- and no amount of context or backpedaling can salvage what she said after, "His wife has actually never worked a day in her life!"
Bah. Anyone with any sense understands what she meant. Ann hasn't had to work and provide for her family so what in the hell does Ann's input into family economics actually mean? Very little.
Old 04-19-12, 05:34 PM   #105
Marc Brobard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Bah. Anyone with any sense understands what she meant. Ann hasn't had to work and provide for her family so what in the hell does Ann's input into family economics actually mean? Very little.
Yes, because if you haven't done it, you have no business talking about it. A few hundred thousand historians would say you're wrong, along with the millions of others.
Old 04-24-12, 07:18 AM   #106
printerati
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm just a working stiff. My wife makes all the money in our house.
So...we should be making fun of her for paying more in taxes than we make?
Old 04-24-12, 09:01 AM   #107
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but we file jointly. And I don't think there was any "we" about it. For all I know, you could run six gas stations in Kentucky.