Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-03-12, 04:49 PM   #76
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Occupy Wall Street ptII - Occupying random places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Of course, the occupy movement denies any involvement, (likely true), or responsibility. But who would have ever thought that they would attract the type of people who would do such things?
Every regular viewer of fox news?
Old 05-03-12, 11:41 PM   #77
Artman
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Every regular viewer of fox news?
While I can accept that the black block group (numbering 75-300 here in Seattle) was not on occupy's official list of participating groups (is there one?) - they both share an anti-authority (and anti police) message...so it's no surprise this happened.
Old 05-04-12, 12:11 AM   #78
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The Wall Street bombing happened nine years before Black Tuesday and twelve before FDR's election.

The idea that the Depression would've been worse without FDR is an odd one considering the economy didn't recover until his third term. Do you think that was the best-case scenario?
You've hit upon the liberal wet dream.....Obama should get 5 terms. And things will only suck then because of the Bush years.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-04-12, 09:19 AM   #79
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The Wall Street bombing happened nine years before Black Tuesday and twelve before FDR's election.

The idea that the Depression would've been worse without FDR is an odd one considering the economy didn't recover until his third term. Do you think that was the best-case scenario?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The Wall Street bombing didn't have anything to do with the depression. It was 1920. It was Galleanist communist anarchists who were targeting people and places they viewed as "class enemies". They hated capitalism pure and simple.

Like I said, America has always harbored a few of these people, it's the level of attention we pay to them that ebbs and flows. There are probably just as many neo-nazis in America today as there was in the 1990's but in the 90s it seemed like they were all over the place (on Geraldo and the like) and today you don't see them in the media. But they're still out there.
My post wasn't meant to insinuate a connection to the Wall St Bombing. It was referencing the video I posted of Depression riots. My reference to FDR had to do with things like defusing the Bonus Army demonstrations. The video was merely meant to show that violence by the lower and middle class over financial inequality is not new.

Youtube is blocked at my office so I can't see the videos I post until I look at them on my phone. Thanks wishbone.
Old 05-04-12, 09:23 PM   #80
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Bunch fuckin' retards. Apparently, police are useless. Personally, I'd be consulting my fucking LE Union, and holding a strike when shit like this happens, so the mayors of Portland and Seattle will wake the fuck up and give these rioters a piece of appropriate response. Law Enforcement is a fucking joke in Portland. Crime solves itself here. Police just watch it happen. They're afraid to even hassle beggars. Fuckin' pussies.

Of course, at the wage these guys and gals are making, they will follow ANY ORDER. Even if it's from a paper-bad-only retard like Sam Adams. Hell, Sam could say, "Ok, now everyone at Central Precinct start fuckin' each other in the ass!"

They'd do it.

EDIT: I mean paper-BAG-only

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-05-12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 08:00 AM   #81
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Bunch fuckin' retards. Apparently, police are useless. Personally, I'd be consulting my fucking LE Union, and holding a strike when shit like this happens, so the mayors of Portland and Seattle will wake the fuck up and give these rioters a piece of appropriate response. Law Enforcement is a fucking joke in Portland. Crime solves itself here. Police just watch it happen. They're afraid to even hassle beggars. Fuckin' pussies.

Of course, at the wage these guys and gals are making, they will follow ANY ORDER. Even if it's from a paper-bad-only retard like Sam Adams. Hell, Sam could say, "Ok, now everyone at Central Precinct start fuckin' each other in the ass!"

They'd do it.
Old 05-05-12, 07:07 PM   #82
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

They'd do it.

EDIT: I mean paper-BAG-only
Portland voted for a gay mayor to show how progressive they were. They never stopped to wonder if he could handle the job. From day 1 he has been a major fuckup. From statutory rape to making police learn how to give therapy.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-07-12, 03:49 PM   #83
Mabuse
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
My post wasn't meant to insinuate a connection to the Wall St Bombing. It was referencing the video I posted of Depression riots. My reference to FDR had to do with things like defusing the Bonus Army demonstrations. The video was merely meant to show that violence by the lower and middle class over financial inequality is not new.

Youtube is blocked at my office so I can't see the videos I post until I look at them on my phone. Thanks wishbone.
The WWI veterans Bonus Army protest/occupation occured in 1934 and Hoover was president. What role did FDR play in that?
Old 05-08-12, 11:40 AM   #84
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The WWI veterans Bonus Army protest/occupation occured in 1934 and Hoover was president. What role did FDR play in that?
Um, FDR was elected President in 1932. What in the hell are you talking about?
Old 05-08-12, 11:45 AM   #85
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Old 05-08-12, 11:50 AM   #86
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Sworn in:  March 4, 1933
Quote:
A second, smaller Bonus March in 1933 at the start of the Roosevelt Administration was defused in May with an offer of jobs for the Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Hunt, Virginia, which most of the group accepted. Those who chose not to work for the CCC by the May 22 deadline were given transportation home. In 1936, Congress overrode President Franklin D. Roosevelt's veto and paid the veterans their bonus years early.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_army

An interesting read on FDR's veto of the Bonus Bill.
Old 05-08-12, 01:25 PM   #87
Mabuse
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Quote:
On July 28, 1932, U.S. Attorney General William D. Mitchell ordered the veterans removed from all government property. Washington police met with resistance, shots were fired and two veterans were wounded and later died. Veterans were also shot dead at other locations during the demonstration. President Herbert Hoover then ordered the army to clear the veterans' campsite. Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur commanded the infantry and cavalry supported by six tanks.
As noted earlier FDR was sworn in in March of the following year. You are right that FDR was involved in the aftermath, but the actual Bonus Army protest took place during Hoover's administration.

It should be remembered that the veterans wanted their bonuses early and FDR vetoed a bill to grant them what they wanted; he instead promised them jobs in the CCC. Only years later did Congress override the president's veto and give the veterans their early bonus.
Old 05-08-12, 04:07 PM   #88
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, he gave them jobs. And he gave jobs to millions of other Americans. So back to the original point...
Old 05-08-12, 04:32 PM   #89
Mabuse
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, move along, there's nothing to see here. It's not like you were wrong or anything. It's not like you repeatedly tried to "serve" me only to be wrong yourself.
Move along....move along.
Old 05-09-12, 09:50 AM   #90
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Again, what are you talking about? Are you back on Hoover being President in 1934 again?

And my initial post was meant to add to yours not dispute it. So chill out.
Old 06-03-12, 10:57 PM   #91
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hars...eclosed-homes/

Harsh Foreclosure Critic Elizabeth Warren Reportedly Made a Fortune…‘Flipping’ Foreclosed Homes

June 2, 2012

Elizabeth Warren has been plagued throughout her campaign for a Massachusetts Senate seat by what appear to fibs of her own creation.

It began when claimed to be Cherokee, because her “Papa” (pronounced “Papauw”) had high cheekbones, and there was “family lore.”

She reportedly rode that claim all the way to Harvard, where she was pronounced a “minority professor,” when in reality, a genealogist found she is a scant 1/32 Cherokee.

Now, the woman who claims to have created the “intellectual foundation” for Occupy Wall Street– notorious for its anti-foreclosure actions– is revealed to have made a small fortune flipping foreclosed homes in the 1990′s.

The Boston Herald, which uncovered the findings, explains:

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren, who has railed against predatory banks and heartless foreclosures, took part in about a dozen Oklahoma real estate deals that netted her and her family hefty profits through maneuvers such as “flipping” properties, records show.

A Herald review has found that the Democratic U.S. Senate candidate rapidly bought and sold homes herself, loaned money at high interest rates to relatives and purchased foreclosed properties at bargain prices.

Land records from Warren’s native Oklahoma City show the Harvard professor was active in the often topsy-turvy real estate market in the 1990s, including:

• Purchasing a foreclosed home at 2725 West Wilshire Boulevard from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for $61,000 in June 1993, then selling it in December 1994 for $95,000 — a 56 percent mark-up in just 18 months.

• Buying a house at 200 NW 16th St. for $30,000 in August 1993, then flipping it for $145,000 — a 383 percent gain after just five months.

• Lending one of her brothers money at 9.5 percent interest to buy a home at 1425 Classen Drive for $35,000 in August 2000. He sold the place three months later for $38,500 — a 10 percent gain in 75 days.

• Providing her brother with financing to buy a $25,000 house at 4301 NW 16th St. in 1994. He sold the property four years later for $42,000, a 68 percent increase.

• Giving her sister-in-law a mortgage in 1996 to buy a $31,000 home at 2621 NW 13th St. Three years later, the sister-in-law sold the place for $45,000 — a 45 percent boost in three years.
And so it continues.

Warren’s campaign issued a statement, saying: “Elizabeth and (her husband) Bruce are fortunate to be in a position where they can help their family. They have been able to help relatives buy their homes and her nephew — a contractor — fix up houses.”

However, the evidence indicates that Elizabeth and Bruce weren’t so much lending money to family members, as going into business with them for profit. This is completely understandable– unless you have partially built a campaign around the evils of “predatory” banks and the individuals who exploit foreclosures.

Warren’s campaign website reads: “We are in the midst of one of the greatest economic crises in our country’s history — a crisis that began one lousy mortgage at a time.” For this, Warren slams “a deregulated credit industry (that) squeezed families harder, hawking dangerous mortgages.”

Despite her apparent willingness to take advantage of those “dangerous mortgages,” Warren won a resounding endorsement from Massachusetts Democrats Saturday to clinch the primary against the incumbent Scott Brown.
Old 06-03-12, 11:03 PM   #92
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Phoenix, AZ, Passively angry as heck but gosh darn I'll sit back and take it you know, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Get a job, smelly hippies.
/thread

Wait, /allproblemsthatplaguetheworld

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 06-04-12 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 01:45 PM   #93
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, Elizabeth Warren bought foreclosed houses 10-15 years before all the risky subprime mortgages were made, which means that she... was involved in finances. All right then.