Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 12-24-11, 11:38 AM   #1
Suspended

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Since there are so many stories of cops doing fucked up things why not put them in one thread.

Here's one

Old 12-24-11, 12:07 PM   #2
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Many people who work in stressful occupations find that a little gallows humor can help put their grim or distasteful tasks in a more manageable light. Police officers and medical professionals often use gallows humor when discussing their work with other professionals. This may sound offensive or unprofessional to outsiders, but gallows humor can be a way to put some distance between themselves and the grim realities of their jobs.

I'm sure the officers involved will be reminded to keep it to themselves from now on.
Old 12-24-11, 12:13 PM   #3
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Many people who work in stressful occupations find that a little gallows humor can help put their grim or distasteful tasks in a more manageable light. Police officers and medical professionals often use gallows humor when discussing their work with other professionals. This may sound offensive or unprofessional to outsiders, but gallows humor can be a way to put some distance between themselves and the grim realities of their jobs.

I'm sure the officers involved will be reminded to keep it to themselves from now on.
I have no problem with this, but there is a time or place for it. Don't be calling a guy names as he's lying there dying on the roadside. That's completely unprofessional.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 12-24-11, 12:25 PM   #4
DVD Talk Special Edition

I worked in public safety for just over 8 years and yeah, gallows humor is a coping mechanisim. This guy needs to lighten the fuck up. So what, they goofed on him. He was kinda running in the street where Im sure a sidewalk was near by. Day in and day out these people are called to help people that have either A: gotten themselves into a situation on their own accord or B: thrust into a situation they had no control over. They helped save his ass, not kiss it. And goofing on the accent? Guess what? Sometimes that shit is funny. Dont tell me you havent watched an ep of the Simpsons and laughed at how Apu talks or imitated it.
Old 12-24-11, 08:12 PM   #5
Suspended

This one is kinda fucked up

Quote:
A Riverside County sheriff's deputy, who was off-duty when he allegedly shot a man inside a sports bar in Murrieta this week, has been charged with murder.

Dayle William Long, a 10-year department veteran, was arraigned Friday afternoon on one count of murder with a special allegation of discharging a firearm, according to the Riverside County district attorney's office.

Long, 42, is being held at Riverside County's Southwest Detention Center in Murrieta in lieu of $1-million bail.

On Wednesday, police responded to a report of a man with a gun at Spelly's Pub & Grille. Officers said they found Long, who identified himself as an off-duty deputy.

Samuel Vanettes, 36, of Winchester, who had been shot multiple times, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Vanettes, a cashier at a gasoline station, arrived at the crowded bar for happy hour with his sister, her boyfriend and another friend, a family member said.

Long had been sitting alone and drinking, according to a Vanettes family member, who asked not to be identified. Vanettes introduced himself and they began playing darts, said the relative, who added that he received a firsthand account from the sister and boyfriend.

"They were getting along good," he said. "When the cop started having more whiskey, he started getting belligerent.

"He lifted his shirt up and showed his gun. Sam was standing by the dartboard. He said, 'You don't want to do this; you're a nice guy.' And he shot him. That's what I'm told."

After a thorough review of the case, the district attorney's office filed the murder charge against Long. If convicted, he could face a sentence of 50 years to life in state prison.
Old 12-24-11, 10:15 PM   #6

So your determined to make this thread happen?
Merry Christmas anyway!
Old 12-24-11, 10:24 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
This one is kinda fucked up
If you liked that you should Google 'Rodney King'. You'll get a kick out of that! It's a good one!
Old 12-24-11, 11:27 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
If you liked that you should Google 'Rodney King'. You'll get a kick out of that! It's a good one!
The police were completely in the right on that one.
Old 12-25-11, 01:20 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-25-11, 01:38 AM   #10
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
paging krdave.

clearly that dogs tail was wagging in a completely violent manner.
Old 12-25-11, 07:40 AM   #11
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
paging krdave.

clearly that dogs tail was wagging in a completely violent manner.
The tail wagging happened only after the shooting. The dog was clearly dangerous before that.
Old 12-25-11, 08:52 AM   #12
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant View Post
So your determined to make this thread happen?
Merry Christmas anyway!
Why do cops get offended at threads like these? it's no different than threads about politicians acting badly.
Old 12-25-11, 11:15 AM   #13
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Why do cops get offended at threads like these? it's no different than threads about politicians acting badly.
I don't get offended by it. I just take it with a grain of salt. There are pretty close to a million cops in the US, frequently interacting with people who generally aren't happy to be dealing with the police in the first place. Even in pretty clear cut cases, you're pretty much going to have at least one party (the offender) who thinks he's been treated unfairly, a built in gaggle of people (his family and friends) who'll take his version as the gospel, and large segments of the society (geographical, like the population of the Bay Area, as well as places on the Internet like Reddit) that are the same way... they've never seen a police use of force that didn't look like brutality.

I look at the posts of "police misconduct." Occasionally, there are legitimate complaints. But more often I see all of the following:

1. Cases that aren't misconduct at all, but legitimate judgment calls by the police, that people who weren't in the scenario decide to second guess using the benefit of hindsight.

2. Cases where the complainer's real gripe has to do with how society has fashioned the law (eg. Dislike of the fact that drug crimes are considered serious offenses by law, where this dislike manifests when police actually treat these crimes like serious offenses)

3. Cases where people don't understand the nature of policing (eg. Complaining about the use of a Tazer, where they don't understand the alternative appropriate level of force would be strikes with a metal baton, or complaining because police didn't shoot to wound)

4. Cases where people are neglecting to understand a sequence of facts (Eg. man speeds, police try to stop him, man flees, pursuit happens, man draw gun, police kill him... "police executed him for speeding!")

5. Cases where the public automatically assumes the police screwed up without having all the facts (eg. The SWAT raid in Pima where the ex-marine was killed).

Quite frankly, given the scrutiny police receive from the public and the press, it's reassuring to me that there are as few actual legitimate "police misbehaving" stories as there actually are. And I'm happy for those legitimate stories to be published.
Old 12-25-11, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Who's offended? I just thought it was a strange thread to start on Christmas Eve.
Old 12-25-11, 12:12 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-25-11, 03:22 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I have no problem with this, but there is a time or place for it. Don't be calling a guy names as he's lying there dying on the roadside. That's completely unprofessional.

Dumb ass shouldn't have been running with the big trucks
Old 12-25-11, 04:03 PM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

Dances With Trucks
A new organic, urban, and fluffy film by Kevin Costner

----

But seriously, you should hear the stuff in an ER room. It is a way of coping with an extremely serious situation, and I would imagine the "running victim" has done the same while seeing people in a car accident. Suck it up. Move on. The US is one big fatass crying baby.

Now, if the cops started to taze the "running victim" while he was lying there, quoting famous lines from a Gene Wilder flick, I'd be more concerned.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-25-11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 01:16 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It clearly says that the man was in the ambulance at the time the comments were made and could not hear them. I'm sure there are better threads worthy of a thread than this.
Old 12-26-11, 01:54 PM   #19

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

I run for exercise 5 days a week in and around Los Angeles... I choose to run on the street and I agree with the officers comments. If you get hit by a car while jogging walking or cycling then you are a dumb shit if you choose to risk your life doing so anywhere cars and trucks drive, period. It's long been assumed that pedestrians have the right of way, legally true but it's a car world and we just walk,run and cycle in it.

You have to walk and jog defensively, always assume vehicles can't see you because guess what, they can't!

If you get hit by a car you are a dumb ass, because you weren't paying good enough attention.

I've had plenty of close calls that were ultimately avoided because my heads on a swivel... I'm constantly aware of my surroundings... I don't listen to music while a jog because earbuds are too much of a distraction.
Days of speed and slow time Mondays, pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday, watching the news and not eating your tea, a freezing cold flat and damp on the walls - That's Entertainment - The Jam
Old 12-26-11, 02:11 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I'm sure there are better threads worthy of a thread than this.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 12-26-11, 02:30 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
I run for exercise 5 days a week in and around Los Angeles... I choose to run on the street and I agree with the officers comments. If you get hit by a car while jogging walking or cycling then you are a dumb shit if you choose to risk your life doing so anywhere cars and trucks drive, period. It's long been assumed that pedestrians have the right of way, legally true but it's a car world and we just walk,run and cycle in it.

You have to walk and jog defensively, always assume vehicles can't see you because guess what, they can't!

If you get hit by a car you are a dumb ass, because you weren't paying good enough attention.

I've had plenty of close calls that were ultimately avoided because my heads on a swivel... I'm constantly aware of my surroundings... I don't listen to music while a jog because earbuds are too much of a distraction.
Totally agree. I'm the same way. And I do wear earphones while walking and jogging. I lookout for myself, but I also know if a car hits me, it's more than likely my fault. As a pedestrian, I have the advantage of seeing a car before it sees me.

Additionally, just because there is a pedestrian right-of-way walkpath, does not guarantee my survival on the planet if I just walk across it without looking or thinking a vehicle will stop for me.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-26-11, 04:17 PM   #22
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
It clearly says that the man was in the ambulance at the time the comments were made and could not hear them. I'm sure there are better threads worthy of a thread than this.
That's not the point. I've made rude comments about people behind their backs as well, but I don't do it within earshot of that person and I definitely don't do it when there's a chance I could be video recorded.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 12-26-11, 05:09 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's not the point. I've made rude comments about people behind their backs as well, but I don't do it within earshot of that person and I definitely don't do it when there's a chance I could be video recorded.
They weren't within earshot of the victim. He never heard the comments. Cops are almost always recorded as well. This is such a nothing case that clearly exposes certain people's biases.
Old 12-26-11, 05:16 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Every place I've worked, disparaging comments have occasionally been made when away from customers. Unfortunately, once this "customer" was helped, the officers were recorded, and that recording made it out to the world at large.
Old 12-26-11, 08:12 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what the real story behind that dog video is. Reported with rabies, maybe? A previous attack?