Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-30-12, 11:56 PM   #126
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
I can ask a bystander to do anything. He's not compelled to obey my requests. As for what I can make him do, I can order him to give me space and not crowd my scene. But we're talking moving back a matter of yards though, not making him leave altogether.
What you can (lawfully) ask of a private citizen and what is often implied when you ask in a certain way...those can be two very different things. This is what really bugs me with how many police officers choose to operate.
Old 10-01-12, 03:14 AM   #127
Suspended

not a cop but TSA officer.

Old 10-01-12, 08:17 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

holiday movie challenge: 12 | 11 | 10 | 09 | 08
Old 10-01-12, 11:48 AM   #129
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Punching a girl in the mouth for mistakenly thinking should threw the liquid, looks like an appropriate use of force.
Old 10-01-12, 12:27 PM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
not a cop but TSA officer.
You should see what some (not all) cops do when they find a corpse in a house where there is alot of money and jewelry laying around.
Old 10-01-12, 04:19 PM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
You should see what some (not all) cops do when they find a corpse in a house where there is alot of money and jewelry laying around.
Is that before or after the use of a No-Knock warrant to chase down bogus drug leads?
Old 10-01-12, 05:40 PM   #132
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post

Wow....how does one defend that kind of action?
Old 10-01-12, 05:47 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hero

"Please speak to my union rep."
Old 10-01-12, 06:24 PM   #134
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IA has apparently opened up and investigation and the officer has been put on desk-duty while the investigation is going on. I don't like his odds.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 10-01-12, 06:26 PM   #135
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
IA has apparently opened up and investigation and the officer has been put on desk-duty while the investigation is going on. I don't like his odds.
Nope. I would say he's hosed. He's a lieutenant too from what I've read, so he certainly should know better.
Old 10-01-12, 07:06 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

And of course the other cops around him don't blink an eye.
Lot of fatasses in that group, too.
Old 10-01-12, 07:10 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hero

Lot of fatasses around the cops, as well. He was just giving her a mustache slap.

Also, it's convenient we don't see what she was doing BEFORE this video was taken. Is there more?

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 10-01-12, 07:49 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Lot of fatasses around the cops, as well. He was just giving her a mustache slap.

Also, it's convenient we don't see what she was doing BEFORE this video was taken. Is there more?
Of course...because I'm sure she deserved to be assaulted by a guy who outweighed her by 80-100+ lbs.
Old 10-01-12, 08:05 PM   #139
DVD Talk Hero

She could have called the guy a N***er. Then what.

Weight has virtually nothing to do with determining whether a person is a threat or not. Do this and you'll certainly get yourself hurt. And killed. In any case, she could have been throwing objects at officers. And if this was the case, then they are totally justified. The video seems to indicate this, so it would really be nice to have another minute of video prior to this video.

You don't throw shit at officers during a protest. They will take you down. You will feel pain.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-01-12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 08:10 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
She could have called the guy a N***er. Then what.
So? I bet he's been called that more than a few times on the job, actually. Trained professionals don't react that way to words. There is literally nothing she could have done before the camera rolled to justify that response. Nothing.
Old 10-01-12, 08:13 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

I was outside a bar in Philly once when a fight broke out. I of course broke out the cell phone camera and was rolling while the cops inside were trying to break it up. Next thing I know a cop pulled up on his bike and slapped my phone right out of my hand smashing it on the ground.

As the crowd starting yelling stuff about what the officer did he actually said the words "I was trying to stop my bike." Somehow he needed to smash my phone in order to stop his bicycle.

Well I wasn't going to argue. I picked my phone pieces up off the floor and walked off. I had heard enough about Philly cop reputations to say a word. The video file was corrupt.
Old 10-01-12, 08:16 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
So? I bet he's been called that more than a few times on the job, actually. Trained professionals don't react that way to words. There is literally nothing she could have done before the camera rolled to justify that response. Nothing.
Tend to have to agree.
Old 10-01-12, 08:19 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

This woman walks right up to the cops and does something. How many people would do this during a dozen cops who are detaining/arresting somebody? Is this normal behavior for a typical law-abiding person?

As to name-calling, if this was a White dude calling a Black cop a particular word, this post would in the Cops Behaving Awesome thread. And it may not have been a certain word. She may have actually called out a threat. Then what.

If you notice right at the beginning of the video, she is about to be approached by a cop. She's jumping up and down directly behind another one. Then she leaves and then comes back...this is where her actions are undetermined. Seems to me she's been taunting the cops and needs to shut the fuck up and leave the scene and let the cops do their jobs.

She learned the hard way.

Old 10-01-12, 08:29 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

She learned the hard way? I guess he learned the hard way that in this day and age, chances are there's a camera rolling somewhere and these kinds of "lessons" aren't appreciated.
Old 10-01-12, 08:38 PM   #145
DVD Talk Hero

Looking at this in an unbiased and philosophical way...they both learned.

Old 10-01-12, 08:52 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
This woman walks right up to the cops and does something. How many people would do this during a dozen cops who are detaining/arresting somebody? Is this normal behavior for a typical law-abiding person?

She learned the hard way.
Do you know who else takes that approach....batterers & wife-beaters. It is not acceptable to hit a woman. Unless she is about to kill you or someone else, you just don't do that. What makes it worse is that he is in a position of authority. I'm sure he feels like a man now because "he taught her". I hope he gets fired and serves time....then maybe he'll "learn the hard way."
Old 10-01-12, 08:54 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I took a closer look at the video. From the first instant it is shown, it appears she has an empty bottle, waving it up and down like she's making sure she gets the last drop out, and I'd say she emptied it on nearby officers just before the video.

Another cop points out who it was, then the guy in white goes after her. Sounds like she started to leave in a hurry when they seemed to have called out to her to stop.

But hey, it was water. And she's a female. I definitely smell the V-word here. Victim.

Old 10-01-12, 08:58 PM   #148
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It appears that she was cheering at the start of the video and moved around the crowd to get a better vantage point. She was most likely not involved in the scuffle and just happened to be one of the many bystanders watching what was going on. Clearly a man can be seen throwing the water and the woman moved to get out of the way. She's even stepping out of the way when the officer decks her in the mouth. From what I can see she absolutely in no way did anything to deserve that cop to arrest/question her much less a punch to the teeth.

I hope that dick loses his job. Even if she had been the one to throw the water, he's a police officer and should be a fucking adult about the situation instead of acting like a child.
Old 10-01-12, 09:00 PM   #149
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
But hey, it was water. And she's a female. I definitely smell the V-word here. Victim.
Agreed...but probably not how you mean. She was a victim of police brutality.

Even if she did empty her water bottle and even if she yelled the nastiest slurs in the English (whatever) language...does that warrant her being punched in the face by a police officer? How is that not an over-reaction? He had to "control the situation" and he had to "exert his authority."

The Big bad cop just 'restored order'....or assaulted a woman. Toe-may-to....Toe-Mah-to.
Old 10-01-12, 09:00 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, and also, if you notice the uhhh Wife Beater Attack...it's not. I know that will just give a few of you some limpies, but if you look at where she's holding a bottle, which is by her mouth, it looks like he's trying to swipe it out of her hands, but accidentally gets her in the mouth.

In other words, I'm pretty sure this cop would not have clocked her in the mouth, if both of her hands were lowered. He was going for the bottle.