Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-07-12, 01:05 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
The text says "there appears to be a flash of light...". Heck, there IS a flash of light. It's bright enough to trip the photosensor on a nearby street light, and turn it off.

I am pretty sure police officers are supposed to be trained in takedown techniques that don't involve hitting someone with your weapon.
There was an article about this a few days ago on PoliceOne... none of the commenters had a damned clue what this guy was thinking. That's certainly not an acceptable tactic.
Old 09-07-12, 04:15 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Cop pistols whips a guy, and appears to have his finger on the trigger when doing it, leading to a negligent discharge.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1855513.html

At least there doesn't appear to be a thin blue line protecting him this time (since it was on video), the officer is charged with misconduct, reckless endangerment and second-degree assault.
Nice, I imagine they'll stick to him too.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 09-07-12, 04:28 PM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

The third video in that link is pretty fucked up.

No jail time, all he got was 2 years probation.
Old 09-08-12, 01:34 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Wonder what will happen to the idiot cops who shot and killed the hostage who had managed to escape from his captors in an armed robbery in NY last night?

How about that... terrified for your life, by some miracle you escape the armed robbers holding you hostage in your store and flee for your life, and the cops show up and kill you as you are running, unarmed, from the store.

So much of this police state shit goes on every day this thread would already have been closed for length if even half of it was reported, and the mindless masses were told to think about it by the media.
NY police accidentally shoot shop worker to death

NEW YORK (AP) — A police officer shot and killed a convenience store worker who plowed into him on a sidewalk while frantically fleeing an armed robbery early Friday, a sudden encounter that the police department called a tragic accident.

Three men taken into custody at the shop after the shooting were charged with murder, robbery and weapons possession, prosecutors said.

Dramatic security video released by police shows the uniformed officer, his gun drawn, positioned outside the Bronx shop's front door moments after a 911 call. In a flash, the store manager rushes out the door. Closely behind with his head down is Renaldo Cuevas, who runs full speed into the officer, sending both men tumbling to the sidewalk.

A pool of blood appears to form on the ground the instant Cuevas lands on his back. The officer is kneeling and pointing his semiautomatic at Cuevas when the video clip ends.

Investigators believe the impact of Cuevas running into the officer caused him to fire one round, striking the 20-year-old victim in the left shoulder, police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said at a news conference. Cuevas died later at a hospital.

Though the death appeared to be an accident, the officer was placed on desk duty pending an investigation, a routine practice for all New York Police Department shootings. Officials refused to release the name of the seven-year veteran of the police force.

There was no sign that the shooter and other officers at the scene mishandled the situation, Kelly said.

"The tragedy here of course was that Mr. Cuevas was shot, but I see nothing wrong with the procedure," he said.

Added Kelly: "We want to extend our deepest condolences to the family of Mr. Cuevas for their loss."

The fatal police shooting, one of two in the city on Friday, came two weeks after two police officers wounded nine people by shooting a total of 16 rounds at an armed murder suspect, leaving him dead in the shadow of the Empire State Building. The bystanders all were struck by police gunfire, ricochets and fragments.

In the second police shooting Friday, officers were summoned to contend with a man holding a knife to his neck in a Queens home. Officers repeatedly ordered the man to drop the knife, but he refused and began approaching an officer while holding it in the air, police said. The officer fired once and hit the man, who was taken to a hospital and died Friday evening, police said.

Felix Mora, the manager of the Bronx convenience store that was robbed earlier Friday, told reporters he was closing up with Cuevas, the shop owner's nephew, well after midnight when the three men barged in and one pointed a gun at them. One warned, "Don't move. I will kill your son if you move," he said, explaining that they thought Cuevas was his son.

"I was so scared. I was just praying for the cops to come," the 43-year-old Mora said.

A passer-by called police at about 2 a.m. to report the holdup. When officers arrived, they looked through a window and saw Mora and Cuevas being held hostage at gunpoint, police said.

Another security video shows a masked gunman hitting the manager with a pistol as he pushes both men to the floor. It also shows one of the bandits peering out the window, then, apparently realizing police were there, bolting to the back of the store, giving the victims a chance to slip away.

Mora told investigators he had heard one of the men yell in Spanish, "Policia! Policia! Policia!" meaning, "Police! Police! Police!"

After the shooting, one of the robbers quickly surrendered, police said. The two others retreated to the basement and remained inside until police threatened to send in a dog, Kelly said.

One of the men emerged around 5 a.m., claiming to be a victim. Police found the second man tied up inside as part of the ruse, police said.

Police said they found a .32-caliber handgun, which was never loaded, and the robbers' backpack, which contained $718 in cash, cigarettes and scratch-off lottery tickets.

Across the street from the bodega, Cuevas' friends set up candles and put up hand-drawn posters on the wall that included messages reading, "RIP Reynaldo" and "We want justice."

Mora called Cuevas "a good kid, a hardworking kid, a happy kid."

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-police-acci...161129771.html

Sounds like a tragic accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 09-08-12, 09:13 AM   #80
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
NY police accidentally shoot shop worker to death

NEW YORK (AP) — A police officer shot and killed a convenience store worker who plowed into him on a sidewalk while frantically fleeing an armed robbery early Friday, a sudden encounter that the police department called a tragic accident.

Three men taken into custody at the shop after the shooting were charged with murder, robbery and weapons possession, prosecutors said.

Dramatic security video released by police shows the uniformed officer, his gun drawn, positioned outside the Bronx shop's front door moments after a 911 call. In a flash, the store manager rushes out the door. Closely behind with his head down is Renaldo Cuevas, who runs full speed into the officer, sending both men tumbling to the sidewalk.

A pool of blood appears to form on the ground the instant Cuevas lands on his back. The officer is kneeling and pointing his semiautomatic at Cuevas when the video clip ends.

Investigators believe the impact of Cuevas running into the officer caused him to fire one round, striking the 20-year-old victim in the left shoulder, police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said at a news conference. Cuevas died later at a hospital.

Though the death appeared to be an accident, the officer was placed on desk duty pending an investigation, a routine practice for all New York Police Department shootings. Officials refused to release the name of the seven-year veteran of the police force.

There was no sign that the shooter and other officers at the scene mishandled the situation, Kelly said.

"The tragedy here of course was that Mr. Cuevas was shot, but I see nothing wrong with the procedure," he said.

Added Kelly: "We want to extend our deepest condolences to the family of Mr. Cuevas for their loss."

The fatal police shooting, one of two in the city on Friday, came two weeks after two police officers wounded nine people by shooting a total of 16 rounds at an armed murder suspect, leaving him dead in the shadow of the Empire State Building. The bystanders all were struck by police gunfire, ricochets and fragments.

In the second police shooting Friday, officers were summoned to contend with a man holding a knife to his neck in a Queens home. Officers repeatedly ordered the man to drop the knife, but he refused and began approaching an officer while holding it in the air, police said. The officer fired once and hit the man, who was taken to a hospital and died Friday evening, police said.

Felix Mora, the manager of the Bronx convenience store that was robbed earlier Friday, told reporters he was closing up with Cuevas, the shop owner's nephew, well after midnight when the three men barged in and one pointed a gun at them. One warned, "Don't move. I will kill your son if you move," he said, explaining that they thought Cuevas was his son.

"I was so scared. I was just praying for the cops to come," the 43-year-old Mora said.

A passer-by called police at about 2 a.m. to report the holdup. When officers arrived, they looked through a window and saw Mora and Cuevas being held hostage at gunpoint, police said.

Another security video shows a masked gunman hitting the manager with a pistol as he pushes both men to the floor. It also shows one of the bandits peering out the window, then, apparently realizing police were there, bolting to the back of the store, giving the victims a chance to slip away.

Mora told investigators he had heard one of the men yell in Spanish, "Policia! Policia! Policia!" meaning, "Police! Police! Police!"

After the shooting, one of the robbers quickly surrendered, police said. The two others retreated to the basement and remained inside until police threatened to send in a dog, Kelly said.

One of the men emerged around 5 a.m., claiming to be a victim. Police found the second man tied up inside as part of the ruse, police said.

Police said they found a .32-caliber handgun, which was never loaded, and the robbers' backpack, which contained $718 in cash, cigarettes and scratch-off lottery tickets.

Across the street from the bodega, Cuevas' friends set up candles and put up hand-drawn posters on the wall that included messages reading, "RIP Reynaldo" and "We want justice."

Mora called Cuevas "a good kid, a hardworking kid, a happy kid."

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-police-acci...161129771.html

Sounds like a tragic accident.
Imagine that. The article portrays a far, far different version of events than Dr. Mabuse portrays them.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-08-12, 01:45 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that looks accidental, but at the same time, the officers finger must have been on the trigger, they don't fire just from someone running into them. And as we saw last month, the trigger pull on NYPD guns are 12ish pounds, that takes real effort to fire. Whatever the cause, that video does not inspire confidence.
Old 09-16-12, 08:30 PM   #82
DVD Talk Godfather

free picture hosting
Old 09-16-12, 08:56 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-21-12, 09:06 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...792957684.html

Police Open Fire on Protesters

Spoiler:
in Pakistan

Old 09-22-12, 07:12 PM   #85
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure this qualifies, but anytime a 1 armed and 1 legged man in a wheelchair is killed because they say he cornered an officer and was waving a metal object (turns out it was a pen), I'm skeptical.
http://www.woi-tv.com/story/19613637...-in-wheelchair

For those keeping score at home, that is the 2nd kill for this particular officer.
Old 09-22-12, 07:25 PM   #86
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Previous kill:

Houston police records indicate that Marin also fatally shot a suspect in 2009. Investigators at the time said Marin came upon a man stabbing his neighbor to death at an apartment complex and opened fired when the suspect refused to drop the knife.

I'm ok with that.
Old 09-24-12, 08:38 AM   #87
DVD Talk God

Pen-wielding double amputees -- the new menace.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-24-12, 12:44 PM   #88
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something I saw at another forum. A one armed man in a wheelchair is probably using one of those electric deals with the hand controller. So he can't move if is he is holding something in his hand, and if he wants to move, he has to put down whatever he is holding. So unless he has a gun, he's really not much of threat. Well, unless you allow yourself to get backed into a corner I suppose.
Old 09-24-12, 01:02 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Something I saw at another forum. A one armed man in a wheelchair is probably using one of those electric deals with the hand controller. So he can't move if is he is holding something in his hand, and if he wants to move, he has to put down whatever he is holding. So unless he has a gun, he's really not much of threat. Well, unless you allow yourself to get backed into a corner I suppose.
Here's a more in depth article ( http://www.wyff4.com/news/national/H...j/-/index.html ):

Quote:
Houston police shot to death a double amputee in a wheelchair who they said was trying to stab an officer with a pen.

The man, Brian Claunch, was shot in the head Saturday morning after two police officers arrived at a group home for the mentally ill. The officers were responding to a report that Claunch -- a reported schizophrenic who lost an arm and a leg in a train accident -- was acting aggressively.

His caretaker had refused to give him a cigarette and a soda, according to police and the facility owner.

Police said Claunch was clutching an object as he advanced on one of the police officers.

"The officers made verbal commands for the suspect to drop whatever he had in his hand, to stay still and to speak with the officers, but the suspect continued to make threats," Jodi Silva, a police spokeswoman, told CNN affiliate KTRK in Houston.

Claunch trapped one officer with his wheelchair in the corner of a room "where he couldn't get out," said a Houston police department representative who declined to be identified.

As he advanced toward the officers, Claunch was "refusing to show his hands," the representative said.

The object turned out to be a pen, which Claunch attempted to use to stab the cornered officer, according to police accounts reported in the media, including by KTRK.

The other officer, Matt Marin, was "in fear of the safety of his partner and the safety of himself," Silva said. Marin then fired his "duty weapon, striking the suspect," Silva said.

On Sunday, the unidentified police representative offered more details, saying that, unlike his partner, Marin was not cornered at the time he opened fire.

Claunch was shot once and he died at the scene, according to investigators. Marin has been placed on administrative leave per department policy, police said.

Claunch, who was in his 40s, had been at the Healing Hands group home for 18 months, owner John Garcia told KTRK.

Houston police have not released the identity of the man, though Garcia identified him as Claunch.

Garcia told the Houston Chronicle that Claunch liked to "doodle," which may explain why he was holding a pen.

Garcia reportedly said he had given Claunch a black felt pen for drawing. Garcia told the Chronicle he did not know if that was the pen Claunch was clutching when he was shot.

Garcia said Claunch suffered from schizophrenia and a bipolar disorder.

"He had a temper. He could fly off once in awhile," he told CNN affiliate KHOU.

Claunch was capable of flying into outrage and making people in the house feel threatened, even though he was confined to a wheelchair, Garcia said.

"Emotionally disturbed individuals, when threatened, are going to react, in most instances, excessively," Dr. Ed Reitman, a clinical psychologist, told KTRK.

"This was an incident that didn't have to take place if the individual -- a police officer -- had been trained in dealing with emotionally disturbed individuals."
I love the last paragraph. You know who probably has been extensively trained to deal with emotionally disturbed individuals? The staff at the group home for the mentally ill who called the police because they couldn't handle this guy.
Old 09-24-12, 01:36 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

Healing Hands Group Home.

Old 09-24-12, 02:14 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just completely surprised Marvel figured out a way to paint the cops killing a mentally disturbed double amputee in a wheelchair with nothing more than a pen as a 'weapon' as a good move.

Never seen that type of thing before. I guess 'the facts' have come in now.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 09-24-12, 02:26 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad I could help.

The funny thing is, I don't think I made a commentary either way on the merits of it as a shooting. I just pointed out that the clinical psychologist's statement was fucking stupid given the context. If you read the article and came to the assumption it was a "good move" based on the article, that speaks to the facts, not my beliefs.
Old 09-24-12, 02:30 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

I have been peripherally involved in two "cops behaving badly" incidents that were reported in the news. What the news reported was far, far different than what I actually witnessed happening. In both cases I saw many comment posts on the articles by versions of Dr Mabuse practically calling for the officer's executions.
Old 09-24-12, 02:54 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So the officer not corned did the killing? That does make it look like a better shooting if I'm reading it correctly. The officer (who let himself be corned) could probably see the pen and was backing up because who really knows what to do when a guy in a wheelchair is going after you... but the officer from behind has a much poor idea of what is happening and only sees his partner in danger.

Even a guy in a chair can kill you. I've actually taken martial art classes for the disabled; charging with a chair can make your attacker stumble backwards and pinning someone to a wall followed by a groin strike or a stab to the femoral artery is what we went over often. There are knife, gun, and even sword disarms we worked on that work surprisingly well. Most people think a chair is an immediate disadvantage, but it isn't always.

For anyone who has any grappling training, having to bend over to grab someone moves your center of balance already out of position and can tip you downwards where collar and head chokes can be applied. Our primary weapon was a steel keychain called a kubotan that is very close to a steel pen. If he had something like that it opens up what you can do even more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubotan

Not saying this guy was a ninja, or that the shoot was justified, just saying that just because you see someone in a wheelchair is does not mean they are harmless.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 09-24-12, 03:11 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I have been peripherally involved in two "cops behaving badly" incidents that were reported in the news. What the news reported was far, far different than what I actually witnessed happening. In both cases I saw many comment posts on the articles by versions of Dr Mabuse practically calling for the officer's executions.
Which one of the 'cops behaving badly' incidents in your town are you talking about? Lots of possibilities. That stellar department you often brag about has racked up a lot of felony investigations and charges of officers in just the last two years or so. Excessive force and violence, multiple on-duty rapes and sexual assaults by multiple officers, drunk driving, stalking, soliciting bribes, etc. Was it one of those 'rare' incidents that non-police just wouldn't understand that gets poorly reported? Or some of the many others that simply never get investigated?

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 09-24-12, 03:18 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-24-12, 03:20 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
So the officer not corned did the killing? That does make it look like a better shooting if I'm reading it correctly. The officer (who let himself be corned) could probably see the pen and was backing up because who really knows what to do when a guy in a wheelchair is going after you... but the officer from behind has a much poor idea of what is happening and only sees his partner in danger.
If someone threatened me with one of these I would be scared shitless.

Old 09-24-12, 03:26 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
If someone threatened me with one of these I would be scared shitless.

As you should be... there is a rather unpleasant hole that can be inserted in.

Old 09-24-12, 03:55 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Which one of the 'cops behaving badly' incidents in your town are you talking about? Lots of possibilities. That stellar department you often brag about has racked up a lot of felony investigations and charges of officers in just the last two years or so. Excessive force and violence, multiple on-duty rapes and sexual assaults by multiple officers, drunk driving, stalking, soliciting bribes, etc. Was it one of those 'rare' incidents that non-police just wouldn't understand that gets poorly reported? Or some of the many others that simply never get investigated?
I think you have the wrong department. There are at least a dozen different departments working this area.

I won't personally speak of any specific incidents. One in particular was reported far differently by the media then what I was a part of and personally witnessed. Even though the deputies did nothing wrong and in fact went above and beyond in order to defuse the situation, only the suspect's point of view was reported and absolute lies were printed. When the truth was revealed no retraction or update was ever printed. This is why I don't usually give the initial media reports any credence.
Old 09-29-12, 01:58 PM   #100
Suspended

Chicago cop held on $100,000 bail, accused of having sex with prisoner

Quote:
A veteran Chicago cop promised a male prostitute an early release from jail in exchange for sex, prosecutors said Friday.

Nelson Stewart, a 59-year-old lockup keeper, was ordered held on $100,000 bail on charges of custodial sexual misconduct, bribery and official misconduct.

The victim was a 30-year-old man arrested June 6 in the 4500 block of West Monroe after he flagged down an undercover cop and offered to perform sex for $20, officials said. The man was taken to the Harrison District and placed in the lockup.

Stewart told the inmate that if he did him a “favor” he could be released later that day, Assistant State’s Attorney Lynn McCarthy said. Stewart told the victim he controlled the paperwork at the district, according to a police report.

Stewart performed oral sex on the man and the man performed oral sex on him, prosecutors said.

After the victim reported the incident to a Harrison District watch commander, the police Internal Affairs Bureau was contacted. The victim identified Stewart in a lineup, McCarthy said
http://www.suntimes.com/news/1543234...-prisoner.html