Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-22-11, 07:48 PM   #1
VinVega
Administrator

2011 Budget Cut Thread ptII - Debt Ceiling Armageddon

Previous thread (Part 1): HERE

Hide the women and children, and yes I'm talking about our elected representatives.
Old 07-22-11, 08:15 PM   #2
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2011 Budget Cut Thread ptII - Debt Ceiling Armageddon

D'oh. I had a longer post, but when I went to submit I lost it because the thread was closed.

Basic point was I don't get the McConnell plan. It's basically giving up and letting Obama "take the blame" for raising the limit. It's spineless and blatantly political, so blatant that McConnell is publicly trying to sell it to conservatives solely as an opportunity to pick up a cheap campaign talking point. I guess he failed to notice that Obama is perfectly willing, eager even, to take the credit for raising the limit without a deficit reduction deal in place.

Obama says he is going to require that any deal push the next limit raise to 2013. Obviously this is to put the issue on the back burner for the election and give Dems an opportunity to pick up more seats for the next go around. Republicans should not let the issue go so easily. If a deal doesn't get done this week the House should pass a $1T increase and let the WH and Senate Dems take it or leave it.
Old 07-22-11, 08:19 PM   #3
VinVega
Administrator

I still feel like something is going to get done, but this political brinksmanship is really getting tiresome.
Old 07-22-11, 08:21 PM   #4
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Boehner began a conference meeting Friday morning by deadpanning that Republicans, the White House and Democrats had reached a deal, according to a lawmaker in the room. The response from his conference was nervous silence before Boehner eased the tension by letting them know he was only joking.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...ying-array.php

More and more, I'm convinced there is nobody in the Republican caucus in Congress who is not 100% asshole.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 07-22-11, 08:22 PM   #5
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Current political score: Obama 1 - House Repubs 0.

A major political victory for the president - may be only temporary.

It's obvious that the Speaker was more interested in retaining his speakership than he was in getting a deal done.
Old 07-22-11, 08:25 PM   #6
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

More and more, I'm convinced there is nobody in the Republican caucus in Congress who is not 100% asshole.
I'm convinced that both sides are playing politics - despite what the president has said - willing to upset some of his base and some Democrats in the Congres.
Old 07-22-11, 08:30 PM   #7
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:

Well you're half-way home. I suspect you've always been there.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-22-11, 09:11 PM   #8
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Aaaaaaaaa!

And...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

http://savejace.info/
Old 07-22-11, 09:47 PM   #9
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I'm convinced that both sides are playing politics - despite what the president has said - willing to upset some of his base and some Democrats in the Congres.
Both sides do it! Democrats want to keep the economy from crashing via a mix of tax increases and spending cuts, while Republicans get mad when their leader says he might have made a deal to save the economy. It's exactly the same!
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 07-22-11, 09:53 PM   #10
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Both sides do it! Democrats want to keep the economy from crashing via a mix of tax increases and spending cuts, while Republicans get mad when their leader says he might have made a deal to save the economy. It's exactly the same!
You're just bitter because The Obama had seemingly brokered a deal to punish both rich people and old people at the same time and had it taken away from him.

http://savejace.info/
Old 07-22-11, 10:47 PM   #11
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
I disagree with the idea that GOP votes against raising the debt ceiling won't matter. That's an abdication of responsibility by the majority.
Some would call it a precursor of appearing presidential.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-22-11, 11:17 PM   #12
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Some would call it a precursor of appearing presidential.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-23-11, 12:19 AM   #13
Nesbit
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
I'm convinced that both sides are playing politics
Have to agree with JasonF. The democrats are playing politics, the tea party is playing crazy. They're playing with fire and trying to ruin the government. That's what people voted them in to do.
Old 07-23-11, 09:54 AM   #14
classicman2
DVD Talk God

The president is meeting today with Pelosi, Reid, McConnell, and Boehner.

I understand it will be a tag team, winner take all match.
Old 07-23-11, 09:57 AM   #15
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Well you're half-way home. I suspect you've always been there.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 07-23-11, 11:26 AM   #16
BKenn01

Quote:
Yes we know those Democrats are going to work hard to balance the budget if only they didn't have the pressure of this debt ceiling thing.
Old 07-23-11, 11:36 AM   #17
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Obama has said his lawyers aren't convinced the Constitutional Option (i.e., the idea that the 14th Amendment trumps the Debt Ceiling) is a viable argument, but I think if push comes to shove he'll go that route, especially since it's not clear anyone would have standing to challenge him in court. If that happens, the Republicans not only come off as losers politically, but they'll have expanded executive power to an even more absurd extent than it's at now.

Fucking Republicans. Can we get a decent opposition party in this country? Like the Whigs.
Old 07-23-11, 11:51 AM   #18
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Both parties have been guilty of expanding executive powers for decades & decades - shortly after the ink on The Constitution dried.
Old 07-24-11, 08:57 AM   #19
Superboy
Suspended

Quote:
Both parties have been guilty of expanding executive powers for decades & decades - shortly after the ink on The Constitution dried.
We can also thank both parties for the mountain of debt the country is buried under as well.
Old 07-24-11, 05:53 PM   #20
BKenn01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
We can also thank both parties for the mountain of debt the country is buried under as well.
Yep!
Old 07-24-11, 05:56 PM   #21
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

S&P says merely upping the debt ceiling will not stop them from downgrading the US at this point. The article I read made it seem as if some bullshit 'we're cutting spending' bill like Obama/Boehner seems to favor wouldn't stop a downgrade either.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 07-24-11, 08:25 PM   #22
Nesbit

WTH is a Super Congress? I don't gain any confidence by cutting the number of idiots and weasels in charge.

I'll give Bush some credit for once. If he were in this position he would have raised the debt ceiling on his own weeks ago and it would have saved us a lot of bullshit. This is one instance where I don't particularly mind expanding executive powers.

The talks over the last month should be happening anyway just not at the expense of our credit rating. I say Obama extends it on the 2nd.
Old 07-24-11, 08:37 PM   #23
classicman2
DVD Talk God

And the Congress will challenge his authority to do so in the federal courts on the 3rd.

Last edited by classicman2; 07-24-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-24-11, 09:13 PM   #24
Nesbit

And ruin the President's birthday bash?
Old 07-24-11, 09:26 PM   #25
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
S&P says merely upping the debt ceiling will not stop them from downgrading the US at this point. The article I read made it seem as if some bullshit 'we're cutting spending' bill like Obama/Boehner seems to favor wouldn't stop a downgrade either.
Nor should it. We have been incredibly lucky that the S&P has a bit of a US bias and an anti-euro bias of we would have been treated like the S&P has treated many of their countries for several years. The advantage of being the dominate world leader is that you get slack in things like this. The downside is that when you lose confidence it is much harder to ever get it back.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Sponsored Links