Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-22-11, 10:36 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

The One and Only Great Moments in State Government thread

I am creating this thread as a repository for general goofy behavior and questionable decisions made by state governments that might not otherwise warrant their own thread.

To kick things off, I proffer this wonderful recent legislative moment from the great state of Tennessee:

Old 04-22-11, 11:01 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The One and Only Great Moments in State Government thread

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Pennsylvania wine vending machine!

Old 04-22-11, 11:16 PM   #3
Time Lord

I read the thread title as "The One and Only Great Moment in State Government."
Old 04-24-11, 01:05 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

This was well thought out and will create many jobs

Foster children in Michigan would be allowed to get clothing only from second hand stores

Quote:
Under a new budget proposal from State Sen. Bruce Casswell, children in the state’s foster care system would be allowed to purchase clothing only in used clothing stores.

Casswell, a Republican representing Branch, Hillsdale, Lenawee and St. Joseph counties, made the proposal this week, reports Michigan Public Radio.

His explanation?

“I never had anything new,” Caswell says. “I got all the hand-me-downs. And my dad, he did a lot of shopping at the Salvation Army, and his comment was — and quite frankly it’s true — once you’re out of the store and you walk down the street, nobody knows where you bought your clothes.”

Under his plan, foster children would receive gift cards that could only be used at places like the Salvation Army, Goodwill and other second hand clothing stores.

The plan was knocked by the Michigan League for Human Services. Gilda Jacobs, executive director of the group, had this to say:

“Honestly, I was flabbergasted,” Jacobs says. “I really couldn’t believe this. Because I think, gosh, is this where we’ve gone in this state? I think that there’s the whole issue of dignity. You’re saying to somebody, you don’t deserve to go in and buy a new pair of gym shoes. You know, for a lot of foster kids, they already have so much stacked against them.”

Casswell says the plan will save the state money, though it isn’t clear how much the state spends on clothing for foster children or how much could be saved this way.
What a nice guy!
Old 04-24-11, 03:12 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

That isn't all that ridiculous, mostly due to it being completely impractical. I strongly suspect that his proposal stems from observing the children spending state dollars on whatever overpriced fashionable bullshit is hot that week.
Old 04-24-11, 03:37 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
That isn't all that ridiculous, mostly due to it being completely impractical. I strongly suspect that his proposal stems from observing the children spending state dollars on whatever overpriced fashionable bullshit is hot that week.
I strongly suspect his proposal stems from the deep psychological pain some people feel from knowing that someone, somewhere, has a modicum of happiness that they didn't "earn."
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 04-24-11, 04:45 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I strongly suspect his proposal stems from the deep psychological pain some people feel from knowing that someone, somewhere, has a modicum of happiness that they didn't "earn."
Agreed. Foster children go through a lot (my best friend is a CPS worker). If someone buys them $150 sneakers with a state voucher, SFW? I can think of far worse uses for "my" money.
Old 04-24-11, 05:19 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Agreed. Foster children go through a lot (my best friend is a CPS worker). If someone buys them $150 sneakers with a state voucher, SFW? I can think of far worse uses for "my" money.
And I can think of far more better uses for "my" money. If a practical way to keep them from spending state money in this fashion could actually be implemented, I would fully support it.
Old 04-24-11, 05:53 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Here's an update from Casswell's page:

Quote:
Monday, April 18, 2011
LANSING – Last week, Senator Bruce Caswell presented his proposal for the Department of Human Services (DHS) budget, which included a provision that the state would issue gift cards for the clothing allowance for children that receive state assistance.

Under the current system, DHS issues each year, on average, an additional $80 to a child’s parents’ Bridge Card for the clothing allowance. However, once deposited on the card, the state has no way to ensure that parents actually spend the clothing allowance money on clothing for their child.

Senator Caswell initially proposed issuing a gift card for the clothing allowance for resale shops in order to ensure the money would actually go toward purchasing clothing. After a suggestion from a constituent, he plans to draft an amendment to the proposal that would direct the state to work with major retailers to create a gift card program that would ensure the clothing allowance money only purchases clothing and shoes at their stores. Furthermore, the amendment will direct DHS to negotiate with the retailers for a discount on those clothing items purchased with the allowance in order to get the best deal for the recipients.

“My sole goal in this proposal is to make sure that children receive the clothing allowance that the state has provided for them and not have it used for anything else,” said Caswell. “I believe this solution will go a long way to achieving that objective. If anyone else has a better idea on how we can ensure the money goes for clothing alone, I very much welcome those suggestions and urge you to share your ideas with me. I appreciate the input I have already received that has resulted in making the proposal better.”
I don't really have a problem with the original proposal because it would be stretch to spend only $80 keeping a child clothed for a year from about the ankle down, so this is more of a small supplemental stipend than a child's full clothing budget.
Old 04-24-11, 06:24 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Pennsylvania wine vending machine!

Haha. To be fair, I grew up in small town PA, and remember that like 9/10 people there were absolute alchoholics. Like, 'JD in the passenger's seat for when they get off work' alchoholics. Not sure why I care, or what good their "measures" (state operated liquor stores, beer outlets, they don't sell it in grocery stores, etc.) help, exactly. But PA has got to be up there on the most alchoholic or 'most alcohol sold' state.
Old 04-24-11, 06:33 PM   #11
X
Administrator

Jerry Brown - California Governor in 1970s (with Jim Jones of the People's Temple)

Jerry Brown - Elected again as California Governor in 2010s
Old 04-24-11, 07:17 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post

Jerry Brown - California Governor in 1970s (with Jim Jones of the People's Temple)
This photo looks 'shopped for some reason.
Old 04-24-11, 07:22 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
This photo looks 'shopped for some reason.
Do you really think they had Photoshop in the '70s?

Old 04-24-11, 07:58 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post

Jerry Brown - Elected again as California Governor in 2010s
What's the difference between a member of the People's Temple and a California voter?

A member of the People's Temple could only drink the Kool-Aid once.

Too soon?
Old 04-24-11, 08:21 PM   #15
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Here's an update from Casswell's page:

I don't really have a problem with the original proposal because it would be stretch to spend only $80 keeping a child clothed for a year from about the ankle down, so this is more of a small supplemental stipend than a child's full clothing budget.
The second proposal is better, maybe throw in some training on creating a personal budget and give them a practical skill that many people learn the hard way.

I'll outlive all these skinny bastards whose assholes are so tight they can only crap neutronium. - Mrs. Danger
Old 04-24-11, 08:42 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevt View Post

Well, it looks like he was added in later, anyhow. Might have been a soviet-style cut and paste (although they were of course mostly interested in removing people) or someone could have pasted two vintage pictures together recently.

Not saying any of that actually happened, but Brown has different lighting on his face, and the edge of his shoulder looks really crisp. Might just be crappy reproduction of an old AP photo though.
Old 04-24-11, 10:04 PM   #17
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, it looks like he was added in later, anyhow. Might have been a soviet-style cut and paste (although they were of course mostly interested in removing people) or someone could have pasted two vintage pictures together recently.

Not saying any of that actually happened, but Brown has different lighting on his face, and the edge of his shoulder looks really crisp. Might just be crappy reproduction of an old AP photo though.
Thanks for answering me seriously, not calling me names, etc., but I was completely kidding.
Old 04-24-11, 11:33 PM   #18
DVD Talk God

Washington state made alcohol illegal before prohibition (for the children), then they banned tobacco vending machines (for the children), then they made online poker a worse offense than child molestation (since reduced, but for the children). We have to keep children away from terrible vices by making sure there is no way they have access to any of these things. Well, unless it is state run.

“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-25-11, 12:12 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

You know what I love about my state government? I'm represented by a former Miss America contestant.

For the first time in my life, I don't mind being fucked by the government.

Blog | Twitter
Old 04-25-11, 08:33 AM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevt View Post

the picture is hosted at tumblr, it has to be real
Old 04-26-11, 07:29 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Anti-Marijuana Legalization State Lawmaker Busted for Marijuana Possession.

To borrow a phrase from my childhood, smooth move Ex-Lax.
Old 04-27-11, 06:25 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

I was planning to go to the mailbox later today, but after seeing the first clip, I'm afraid that I will be attacked by a dog, chicken, or goat.

Thank goodness for my elected reps in action to help the public avoid this zoological scourge running rampant among our great state.
Old 05-20-11, 01:35 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-20-11, 01:58 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

No sound at work. What does she say? Does she love black cock?
Old 05-20-11, 03:21 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
No sound at work. What does she say? Does she love black cock?
Doesn't everybody? That should go without saying.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23