Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-25-13, 01:56 PM   #101
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The One and Only Great Moments in State Government thread

Quote:
NASHVILLE, Tennessee — Sometimes a mop sink is just a mop sink.

Building managers and legislative staffers have sought to reassure some concerned Tennessee lawmakers that recent renovations at the state Capitol did not install special facilities for Muslims to wash their feet before praying.

"I confirmed with the facility administrator for the State Capitol Complex that the floor-level sink installed in the men's restroom outside the House Chamber is for housekeeping use," Legislative Administration Director Connie Ridley wrote in an email. "It is, in layman's terms, a mop sink."

The nearly $16 million renovation completed in December focused on upgrading electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems in the more than 150-year-old Capitol. Parts of the building also got new carpets, paint and security upgrades.

Senate Clerk Russell Humphrey said he had been approached by a House and Senate member to inquire about the sink, which replaced a utility sink that had been mounted higher on the wall and was used for filling and emptying buckets.

"There was concern about why it had been modified," said Humphrey, who declined to identify the lawmakers or elaborate on their concerns.

"I certainly wouldn't want to quote a member inaccurately about what they may or may not have said," he said.
http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...Sink-Confusion
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 04-24-13, 12:31 PM   #102
DVD Talk Hero

Oklahoma Republican Says the Words 'Jew Me Down' on the House Floor

Not quite as bad as the "**********-rigging" comment from that idiot in Kansas a few weeks ago, but that guy was just a county commissioner. This guy is a state representative.
Old 04-24-13, 12:43 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...voting-mailer/

Quote:
A conservative group connected to Colorado’s Secretary of State has been sending political mailers — including a picture of a darker-skinned woman whose face was digitally removed and replaced with a white woman’s face — in an attempt to oppose a landmark voting bill that may soon become law.

Colorado is currently considering a major piece of legislation to improve the state’s voting laws by implementing Election Day Registration, automatically sending mail ballots to every voter, and creating a real-time voter database to detect and prevent fraud. It passed the House last week and will now be taken up by the Democratic-controlled Senate.
Here is the mailer:

And here is the original image:

The face on the woman in the hoodie was changed from black to white and the black male just behind her was removed entirely.
Old 04-24-13, 01:23 PM   #104
X
Administrator

I don't get it. Is the problem that they're trying to not present a racial motive for their objection to the law?
Old 04-24-13, 01:32 PM   #105
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would think a motivation is that they are trying to set up an "us versus them" model of lazy voters that having non-whites in line would go against.
Old 04-24-13, 04:03 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Is that Joe the Plumber?
Old 04-24-13, 04:04 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post
I don't get it. Is the problem that they're trying to not present a racial motive for their objection to the law?
I think they took them out to keep detractors from pointing them out.
Old 04-24-13, 04:18 PM   #108
X
Administrator

I guess it's that some non-whites were in line to vote. I didn't even think that was necessarily what they were in line for. Just that it was a line, as in "They have crossed the LINE!".

Where did that picture come from? Given that Mesa Country is 1% black, maybe they were just trying to look like that line was local and is representative of their population.
Old 11-20-13, 12:05 PM   #109

It seems the state of Oklahoma really hates people in the military who are married.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-20-13, 12:41 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Only if they are married to the same sex. The rest are just collateral damage.

This reminds me of when southern states would close their public schools rather than integrate.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 11-20-13, 12:44 PM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

Support our troops*
Old 11-20-13, 12:53 PM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems a Dem State Senator really hates the homeless
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/20/us/haw...html?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:
CNN) -- Hawaii state lawmaker Tom Brower was fed up with the state's homeless problem. His solution, however, left him branded a vigilante.
Brower took a sledgehammer to abandoned shopping carts.

"I get a lot of complaints about stolen and abandoned shopping carts in Waikiki, and I was thinking as a public servant, 'What can I do that would be practical and I can literally do overnight,'" Brower told CNN affiliate KITV.

I'm not doing anything different than doing a community cleanup, or what the city's administration has tried to do with the issue of people illegally camping on the streets," he insisted. "I'm just doing it quicker."

He began in late October and estimated that he destroyed about 30 of the carts, which are often used by homeless people.

It's not advisable (and) not smart," the state's homeless coordinator Colin Kippen told KITV. "It's mean-spirited and is vigilante justice."
Callers to Brower's office slammed the lawmaker. "What if I smash his car up with a sledgehammer 'cause I don't like what I see," one caller said, according to CNN affiliate KGMB.
Brower decided to stop. "I guess I shouldn't use the sledgehammer because it's a really loaded image," he told KGMB.
Old 11-20-13, 01:08 PM   #113

It's amazing what a divisive issue grocery carts can be. Our local grocery recently put those sensors on theirs that cause them to lock up when people try to take them off the parking lot. It caused a huge uproar among a lot of my neighbors, complaining that the store was being unfair to poor people who don't have cars.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 11-20-13, 01:24 PM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

It probably would not be an issue if the carts were being returned.
Old 11-20-13, 01:36 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Yeah, agree. When I first moved to the New Orleans area many years ago, I used to talk to the local grocery store past numerous low-to-middle income apartment buildings. I would routinely see a dozen or more abandoned shopping carts just in that 6-7 block walk. I used to think someone could make a living just retrieving them and returning them to the store if the store would pay $1 apiece.
Old 11-20-13, 02:34 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Seems a Dem State Senator really hates the homeless
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/20/us/haw...html?hpt=hp_t2
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 11-21-13, 09:46 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I could comment on that, but someone would probably take it as proof that I hate poor people.
Old 11-21-13, 10:58 AM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Not quite as bad as the "**********-rigging" comment
We cracker-rig stuff all the time around here.

Oops...should be *******-rig to stay in step with the times. Hmmm...are asterisks needed for honkey-rigging things?

I'm suspecting Neal Diamond was expressing racist sentiments with 'Cracklin' Rosie'.
Old 11-21-13, 11:00 AM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yeah, agree. When I first moved to the New Orleans area many years ago, I used to talk to the local grocery store past numerous low-to-middle income apartment buildings. I would routinely see a dozen or more abandoned shopping carts just in that 6-7 block walk. I used to think someone could make a living just retrieving them and returning them to the store if the store would pay $1 apiece.
Gotta wait 'til after the Store Cart Derby is over!
Old 01-30-14, 11:30 AM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, wonderful, progressive Massachusetts. This is what Democrat State Rep Henriquez was convicted of:

Quote:
Gonzalves [the girlfriend] testified that Henriquez became angry once she told him she could not go with him that night, and that he back-handed her across the face, punched her three times in the chest and choked her…

After the alleged assault in the back seat, Gonzalves said Henriquez drove off and she said she was initially unable to escape from the back of the vehicle, described as a Honda Insight rented through Zipcar.

Gonzalves eventually jumped out of the vehicle at the intersection of Forsyth Street and Huntington Avenue in Boston, and made her way to Northeastern’s White Hall at about 4:18 a.m.
So, of course that doesn't hurt his campaign (he's a Democrat in Massachusetts), and five months later he wins the election. And now:

Quote:
It's business behind bars for Rep. Carlos Henriquez

By: John Zaremba, Matt Stout

..Inmate lawmaker Rep. Carlos Henriquez is doing his Beacon Hill business from his Billerica jail cell, thumbing through bills and budget proposals, and speaking to staff by phone “at least once a day,” 
according to the disgraced Dorchester Democrat’s legislative aide.

“We’ve been in regular contact with him, and at this point he’s concerned with the issues of the district,” aide Jessica DaSilva told the Herald.

DaSilva said Henriquez’s office is fielding four or five constituent calls a day, mostly from people concerned about cuts to unemployment benefits. She said Henriquez also has been reviewing budget amendments, though she would not say which.

“There’s a few. Obviously
I can’t speak for him on 
it,” DaSilva said.

Asked whether the 37-year-old lawmaker is sponsoring any new bills, DaSilva said, “At this moment, I’m not sure.”

She declined to characterize the telephone calls further, and said she had not visited Henriquez in person at the Middlesex House of Correction.

Henriquez is serving a six-month sentence there after a jury convicted him Jan. 15 for the July 2012 
assault and battery of a woman he was dating.

It is unclear whether Henriquez called a private phone or his State House office; a spokesman for the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office declined to provide specific information about Henriquez’s phone use.

The spokesman said jail policy allows inmates to make collect calls to as many as 10 preapproved telephone numbers, not counting lawyers and clergy.

The spokesman said inmates are specifically forbidden from calling victims and people with active restraining orders against them.

Inmates’ phone pals are required to establish 
accounts with Securus Technologies, the jail’s phone service provider. A Securus spokesman was not immediately available last night.

Each call carries a $2.50 connection charge, costs 10 cents a minute and is limited to 15 minutes, the Middlesex jail spokesman said.

Henriquez has rebuffed calls for him to step down. The handcuffed lawmaker has been hauled before the state House Committee on Ethics twice within a week, as the House moves quickly to boot him if he refuses to quit. Top Democrats including Gov. Deval Patrick and House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo have repeatedly called for his resignation.

Henriquez, elected in 2010, made $68,000 as a lawmaker last year and belongs to several House committees, including on judiciary, education, ways and means, and mental health and substance abuse. He is also a member of the Massachusetts Black and Latino Legislative Caucus.

Several pols said that if Henriquez is keeping up on the job while in jail, that’s news to them.

“I really don’t know what he’s doing out there,” said state Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez (D-Jamaica Plain), “... that communication doesn’t exist.”

State Rep. Liz Malia, who heads the mental-health committee, said she hasn’t heard a peep from Henriquez, and neither has South End state Rep. Byron Rushing, the head of the caucus.

“Haven’t heard from him,” Rushing said during a break in session last night.
http://michaelgraham.com/ma-dem-rep-...-found-guilty/

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...rlos_henriquez
Old 01-30-14, 12:47 PM   #121
DVD Talk God

Domestic violence seems to be party blind. Why, I remember the guy that Jenny was dating, and he hit her. Forrest even reminded her that, "He should not hit you, Jenny."

Fuck, can't argue with that.

Dudes that hit women have serious issues that jail generally won't remedy. I put them in the same class as pedophiles.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-30-14, 02:15 PM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Domestic violence seems to be party blind.
Yes, but is it too much to ask that if someone is actually IN JAIL for domestic violence, maybe that should preclude them from being a member-in-good-standing of the state legislature?
Old 01-30-14, 02:19 PM   #123
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Domestic violence seems to be party blind. Why, I remember the guy that Jenny was dating, and he hit her. Forrest even reminded her that, "He should not hit you, Jenny."

Fuck, can't argue with that.

Dudes that hit women have serious issues that jail generally won't remedy. I put them in the same class as pedophiles.
What if he finds Jesus, kills ducks, and hates gay? Is he ok then?

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 01-30-14, 02:28 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Yes, but is it too much to ask that if someone is actually IN JAIL for domestic violence, maybe that should preclude them from being a member-in-good-standing of the state legislature?
Remember what legislature he is a member of. Three consecutive House Speakers convicted of felonies.
Old 01-30-14, 02:30 PM   #125
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Sounds like the process is underway…

Quote:
Henriquez has rebuffed calls for him to step down. The handcuffed lawmaker has been hauled before the state House Committee on Ethics twice within a week, as the House moves quickly to boot him if he refuses to quit. Top Democrats including Gov. Deval Patrick and House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo have repeatedly called for his resignation.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.