Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-29-11, 07:41 AM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The One and Only Great Moments in State Government thread

Dear Massachusetts --

You are doing it wrong. You're not supposed to elect felons as Speaker of the House. You're supposed to elect them Governor.

Sincerely,

Illinois
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 06-30-11, 02:25 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

We're a little over 10 hours from a shutdown here in MN. Looking at the list of what will stay open and what will shut down drives one crazy.
Old 07-25-11, 01:31 PM   #53
X
Administrator

Here's a new one from San Francisco...

Quote:
SF mulls ban on discrimination against ex-cons

San Francisco has banned housing and employment discrimination against gays, lesbians and minority groups — but a new plan to add ex-convicts to that list has some saying officials are going too far.

Under a proposal before the city's Human Rights Commission, private employers and landlords would be prohibited from disqualifying applicants because they have been convicted of a crime or been arrested.

Proponents say that with California under federal orders to reduce its prison population, such a plan is necessary to help former inmates reintegrate.

But others say business owners have a right to be cautious to protect themselves and others.

The commission recently held a public forum on the proposal, which city leaders caution is in its early stages and far from being finalized.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1T8w6maGG
Other than the conviction I suppose an embezzler from a bank would be qualified to work in a bank. Or a child molestor would be qualified to work as a playground monitor.
Old 07-25-11, 02:06 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJea9JjPzU

Massachusetts wants to know where all the cars in the state are at all times.
Old 07-25-11, 02:16 PM   #55
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

Watching the video, all the people complaining were saying it was a invasion of privacy. I didn't know your plate # on a public road was was a something you need to keep private. Police can run tag numbers already, this just makes it faster. Am I missing something?
Old 07-25-11, 02:23 PM   #56
DVD Talk God

Quote:

U.S. v. Maynard, which will be argued at the Supreme Court this upcoming term, would presumably have a huge bearing on whether such an act by the state would violate the 4th amendment. The DC Circuit ruled against the gov't in that case. However, such a ruling being upheld by the SCt might be tough. Kennedy is a law & order conservative. However, Scalia isn't so predictable in these kinds of cases -- particularly those where new technology is involved.

Here's some background from Prof. Kerr on volokh.com:
http://volokh.com/2010/08/06/d-c-cir...ndment-search/

Note that while I think a ruling against the gov't in Maynard would kill the Massachusetts plan, a ruling in favor of the gov't would not necessarily mean the plan (to be used against all citizenry) would necessarily be found constitutional.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-25-11, 02:25 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemdog View Post
Watching the video, all the people complaining were saying it was a invasion of privacy. I didn't know your plate # on a public road was was a something you need to keep private. Police can run tag numbers already, this just makes it faster. Am I missing something?
According to the Boston Herald,
Quote:
Civil libertarians are raising the alarm over the state’s plans to create a Big Brother database that could map drivers’ whereabouts with police cruiser-mounted scanners that capture thousands of license plates per hour — storing that information indefinitely where local cops, staties, feds and prosecutors could access it as they choose.
But if you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, right?
Old 07-25-11, 02:32 PM   #58
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you are worried about them storing the information and using it later for evil purposes, not running tag numbers looking for stolen cars? I can buy that argument.

I don't know much about U.S. v. Maynard, but reading the link it appears to be a different issue. Putting a tracking device on a car is different from running plate numbers against a computer database looking for stolen cars.
Old 07-25-11, 02:35 PM   #59
DVD Talk God

I didn't click the youtube link. I figured it was some kind of a GPS tracking deal, so yeah that's different.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-25-11, 02:44 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemdog View Post
So you are worried about them storing the information and using it later for evil purposes, not running tag numbers looking for stolen cars? I can buy that argument.

I don't know much about U.S. v. Maynard, but reading the link it appears to be a different issue. Putting a tracking device on a car is different from running plate numbers against a computer database looking for stolen cars.
cops can always run plate numbers, but do they just run numbers haphazardly? Or do they need to see something suspicious to run a number? How much effort would it take to run every single plate number and jot down every location of every car? With these scanners, it happens automatically, every time an officer drives down the street.

And I'm sure we could "solve" the stolen car issue if we just mandated a lojack device in every single car and a similar tracker implanted underneath everybody's skin. Is it worth it?
Old 07-25-11, 03:29 PM   #61
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
cops can always run plate numbers, but do they just run numbers haphazardly?
Yes, I know some that do. No comment as to why.

Quote:
Or do they need to see something suspicious to run a number?
As your tag number is displayed publicly, there is no reasonable suspicion burden that any enforcement agency has to meet. (At least as far as I know can anyone cite a court case otherwise?) It just like setting up a random DUI checkpoint or registration checkpoint where you stop every third car. As long as you can show you are not targeting a group of people unfairly then it's considered legal. (Some states have additional law when it comes to checkpoints. We can go into them if we cross that bridge.) If the cameras are always going then one can claim that nobody or group of people are being specifically targeted.

Quote:
How much effort would it take to run every single plate number and jot down every location of every car? With these scanners, it happens automatically, every time an officer drives down the street.
Quite a bit. It would require more resources than a normal police agency has at its disposal. That is why law enforcement usually loves technology. It allows them to become proactive instead of reactive.

Quote:
And I'm sure we could "solve" the stolen car issue if we just mandated a lojack device in every single car and a similar tracker implanted underneath everybody's skin. Is it worth it?
I think from a cost benefit analysis perspective the cameras would be more effective. As for implanting something under people's skin, I don't know where that came from.

The only issue I have is keeping a database on every tag run and it's location that is shared with other state and federal agencies. In theory if a car is in a public place and the plate number and car are in public view, then from a legal perspective it should pass any constitutional challenge. But just because the government can do something doesn't always mean it should. I really can't think of a legitimate reason the government would want that information.

You want to know the dirty little secret with these cameras. They only capture plate numbers, but what state they are from. So you could be from Ohio visiting Massachusetts and your tag number is the same as a stolen car from Utah. The computer in the police car will ding saying you have a hit, but it still takes a human to figure out if it really is a stolen car.
Old 08-08-11, 02:23 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-...nt/ci_18635050

Quote:
Santa Clara County's housing authority could have spent $16 million of federal funds to help more struggling families put a roof over their heads. Instead, it chose to more than double the value of its employees' retirement benefits.
That may sound unusual, but federal housing officials say it was an allowable expense. Still, the switch from a 401(k)-style retirement plan to a pension allowing workers to retire early -- with guaranteed lifetime payments -- is raising eyebrows at a time when generous public employee pensions are under fire.
Old 02-21-12, 10:31 AM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Lawmaker takes jab at Girl Scouts
City rep chides colleagues for honoring ‘radicalized' group
Niki Kelly | The Journal Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS – A Fort Wayne lawmaker's rant against the Girl Scouts went viral Monday after he called them a "radicalized organization" that supports abortion and promotes "homosexual lifestyles."

Rep. Bob Morris, R-Fort Wayne, sent a letter to Indiana House Republicans on Saturday explaining why he was the only member in the chamber not to sign onto a resolution last week celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts.

The resolution applauded the group "for the strong positive influence it has had on the American woman."

Morris said he did some Web-based research and found allegations that the Girl Scouts are a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood, that they allow transgender females to join, "just like any real girl," and encourage sex.

Morris also said the fact that first lady Michelle Obama is honorary president "should give each of us reason to pause before our individual and collective endorsement of the organization."

"I challenge each of you to examine these matters more closely before you extend your name and your reputation to endorse a group that has been subverted in the name of liberal progressive politics and the destruction of traditional American family values," he said in the letter.

When The Journal Gazette first posted the story Monday, it spread quickly on Twitter and Facebook, often accompanied with incredulous comments or ones disparaging Morris.

Rep. Win Moses, D-Fort Wayne, said his daughter was a Girl Scout and he appreciates how it helps young girls to grow into fine young women with leadership qualities.

"To politicize it, to demonize it, is unfair," he said. "I'm shocked they would be treated in this manner."

Rep. Kathy Richardson, R-Noblesville, spoke in support of the resolution last week as a former Girl Scout member herself.

"I guess he's entitled to his opinion," she said. "They are out selling cookies – not sex and abortions."

Even though Morris was in Indianapolis on Monday, he did not come to the House floor and missed votes on several amendments and bills. GOP House Speaker Brian Bosma said Morris was excused but he did not know why. Bosma said he had not seen the letter and hasn't "investigated (the Girl Scouts) closely."

Several Christian groups have been focused on growing concerns with the Girl Scouts in the past year, and a few websites exist solely to talk about the group's alleged leftward leanings.

Few independent reports on the issue exist.

One of Morris' allegations notes that at an education seminar, girls were directed to a list of 50 role models. Only three, he said, have a religious background. The rest are "feminists, lesbians or communists."

Morris also contends that the Girl Scouts gave out a Planned Parenthood pamphlet at a 2010 United Nations seminar titled "Happy, Healthy and Hot" that focused on sex. Girl Scouts of the USA has denied this.

Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana Michiana also has posted notices on its websites that the group believes issues related to human sexuality and reproductive issues are best left to parents and guardians.

Morris said his two daughters have had a great experience in the scouts because their individual troop leaders have shared the same values. But he said that is not the same around the United States, and he has decided to put his girls in a group that is actively anti-abortion.

Ashley Sharp assistant director of marketing for the Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana Michiana, said the group has heard some concerns but, "it really hasn't affected us. Our membership is still strong, and our cookie sales are up from last year."

Morris said Monday that some House members were going to remove their names from the resolution, but he declined to give names.

Verbatim text of letter from Indiana state Rep. Bob Morris, R-Fort Wayne, to fellow lawmakers:

February 18, 2012

Members of the Republic Caucus

Dear Fellow Representatives:

This past week I was asked to sign a House Resolution recognizing the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouts of America. After talking to some well-informed constituents, I did a small amount of web-based research, and what I found is disturbing. The Girl Scouts of America and their worldwide partner, World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), have entered into a close strategic affiliation with Planned Parenthood. You will not find evidence of this on the GSA/WAGGGS website—in fact, the websites of these two organizations explicitly deny funding Planned Parenthood.

Nonetheless, abundant evidence proves that the agenda of Planned Parenthood includes sexualizing young girls through the Girl Scouts, which is quickly becoming a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood instructional series and pamphlets are part of the core curriculum at GSA training seminars. Denver Auxiliary Bishop James D. Conley of Denver last year warned parents that “membership in the Girl Scouts could carry the danger of making their daughters more receptive to the pro-abortion agenda.”

A Girl Scouts of America training program last year used the Planned Parenthood sex education pamphlet “Happy, Healthy, and Hot.” The pamphlet instructs young girls not to think of sex as “just about vaginal or anal intercourse.” “There is no right or wrong way to have sex. Just have fun, explore and be yourself!” it states. Although individual Girl Scout troops are not forced to follow this curriculum, many do. Liberal progressive troop-leaders will indoctrinate the girls in their troop according to the principles of Planned Parenthood, making Bishop Conley’s warning true.

Many parents are abandoning the Girl Scouts because they promote homosexual lifestyles. In fact, the Girl Scouts education seminar girls are directed to study the example of role models. Of the fifty role models listed, only three have a briefly-mentioned religious background – all the rest are feminists, lesbians, or Communists. World Net Daily, in a May 2009 article, states that Girl Scout Troops are no longer allowed to pray or sing traditional Christmas Carols.

Boys who decide to claim a “transgender” or cross-dressing life-style are permitted to become a member of a Girl Scout troop, performing crafts with the girls and participate in overnight and camping activities – just like any real girl. The fact that the Honorary President of Girl Scouts of America is Michelle Obama, and the Obama’s are radically pro-abortion and vigorously support the agenda of Planned Parenthood, should give each of us reason to pause before our individual or collective endorsement of the organization.

As members of the Indiana House of Representatives, we must be wise before we use the credibility and respect of the “Peoples’ House” to extend legitimacy to a radicalized organization. The Girl Scouts of America stand in a strong tradition that reflects with fidelity the traditional values of our homes and our families. The tradition extends from coast-to-coast and back through the past one hundred years. That said, I challenge each of you to examine these matters more closely before you extend your name and your reputation to endorse a group that has been subverted in the name of liberal progressive politics and the destruction of traditional American family values.

I have two daughters who have been active in the Girl Scouts of Limberlost Council in Northeastern Indiana. Now that I am aware of the influence of Planned Parenthood within GSA and other surprisingly radical policies of GSA, my two daughters will instead become active in American Heritage Girls Little Flowers organization. In this traditional group they will learn about values and principles that will not confuse their conservative Hoosier upbringing.

I have been told that, as of today, I am the only member not supporting the Girl Scout Resolution.

I challenge each of you to examine these matters and to decide carefully whether or not to sign the resolution.

Respectfully,

Bob Morris
http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...WS07/302219934
Old 02-27-12, 02:16 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Wyoming considers what to do in case of apocalypse:

Quote:
CHEYENNE — State representatives on Friday advanced legislation to launch a study into what Wyoming should do in the event of a complete economic or political collapse in the United States.

House Bill 85 passed on first reading by a voice vote. It would create a state-run government continuity task force, which would study and prepare Wyoming for potential catastrophes, from disruptions in food and energy supplies to a complete meltdown of the federal government.

The task force would look at the feasibility of Wyoming issuing its own alternative currency, if needed. And House members approved an amendment Friday by state Rep. Kermit Brown, R-Laramie, to have the task force also examine conditions under which Wyoming would need to implement its own military draft, raise a standing army, and acquire strike aircraft and an aircraft carrier.

The bill’s sponsor, state Rep. David Miller, R-Riverton, has said he doesn’t anticipate any major crises hitting America anytime soon. But with the national debt exceeding $15 trillion and protest movements growing around the country, Miller said Wyoming — which has a comparatively good economy and sound state finances — needs to make sure it’s protected should any unexpected emergency hit the U.S.

Several House members spoke in favor of the legislation, saying there was no harm in preparing for the worst.

“I don’t think there’s anyone in this room today what would come up here and say that this country is in good shape, that the world is stable and in good shape — because that is clearly not the case,” state Rep. Lorraine Quarberg, R-Thermopolis, said. “To put your head in the sand and think that nothing bad’s going to happen, and that we have no obligation to the citizens of the state of Wyoming to at least have the discussion, is not healthy.”

Wyoming’s Department of Homeland Security already has a statewide crisis management plan, but it doesn’t cover what the state should do in the event of an extreme nationwide political or economic collapse. In recent years, lawmakers in at least six states have introduced legislation to create a state currency, all unsuccessfully.

The task force would include state lawmakers, the director of the Wyoming Department of Homeland Security, the Wyoming attorney general and the Wyoming National Guard’s adjutant general, among others.

The bill must pass two more House votes before it would head to the Senate for consideration. The original bill appropriated $32,000 for the task force, though the Joint Appropriations Committee slashed that number in half earlier this week.

University of Wyoming political science professor Jim King said the potential for a complete unraveling of the U.S. government and economy is “astronomically remote” in the foreseeable future.

But King noted that the federal government set up a Continuity of Government Commission in 2002, of which former U.S. Sen. Al Simpson, R-Wyo., was co-chairman. However, King said he didn’t know of any states that had established a similar board.

Why would Wyoming ever need its own aircraft carrier?

Blog | Twitter
Old 02-27-12, 03:58 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post

Find one that will float in the Snake River and it's Heute Idaho, morgen die Welt.
Old 02-27-12, 04:11 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
To anchor at Marina del Lex?
Old 02-27-12, 04:32 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

In case the apocalypse takes the form of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon tumbling into the sea.
Old 02-27-12, 04:57 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand what kind of plan they would have to acquire aircraft and a carrier. I assume that scenario is when things are already apocalyptic, so what's to plan? Have their factories ready to create aircraft? Because they certainly aren't going to spend money on it pre-Apocalypse, and their Wyoming-only currency isn't going to fly with the other states, I would think.
Old 02-27-12, 05:12 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

By the by, You might want to keep up on the story at trib.com (Wyoming's online news source.)
Old 02-27-12, 05:40 PM   #70
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
Find one that will float in the Snake River and it's Heute Idaho, morgen die Welt.
And next week Der Spiegel.
Old 03-14-12, 08:28 AM   #71

Fun times in Arizona:

Senate judiciary committee endorses controversial contraceptive bill

The state's Senate Judiciary Committee has endorsed a bill that would allow employers to deny insurance coverage for contraceptive pills to women who use them for contraception.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 03-14-12, 08:50 AM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

I guess that is supposed to address concerns people raised about women using the pill for other stuff than just contraception?

Isn't the easier answer just letting employers pick what coverage they offer?
Old 03-14-12, 04:08 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Fun times in Arizona:

Senate judiciary committee endorses controversial contraceptive bill

The state's Senate Judiciary Committee has endorsed a bill that would allow employers to deny insurance coverage for contraceptive pills to women who use them for contraception.
It would actually let them fire those women. Technically, they could a;lready do that anyway thanks to at will employment, but the polarization of this issue coupled with the language in this bill requiring employers to be in effect informed if their employees use birth control for contraception makes it much more likely that it will happen.
Old 05-18-12, 09:23 AM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Can you guess how Rhode Island's "Let's invest $75 million in a video game company run by Curt Schilling" strategy worked out?

Quote:
“This is a risk worth taking,’’ said Carcieri, a Republican, announcing the 2010 deal that lured Schilling’s company, 38 Studios, to Providence, and put Rhode Island taxpayers on the hook for up to $75 million in guaranteed loans to an athlete who liked video games but had never developed one.
Quote:
After missing a $1.1 million payment May 1 and a personal plea from Schilling for more public assistance this week, 38 Studios has said it does not not have enough money to pay its employees. On Wednesday, the state economic development official who oversaw the loan guarantees resigned abruptly. In a bizarre twist, at one point Thursday, company representatives hand-delivered a check to the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, apparently to cover the late $1.1 million payment, but then later said the company had insufficient funds to cover it.
http://www.boston.com/business/techn...eeling/?page=3

Rhode Island gave the company $75 million to move from Massachusetts even after a bunch of investors passed because it didnt look financially solid. His company said they would add hundreds of jobs, which they didnt. So now Rhode Island has to decide if they want to give him money to get his next game out (which is nowhere close to being done and might never be done) or cutting their losses. Schilling had to go begging for more money from the state yesterday. And yeah, he spoke out about those bailouts a few years ago.
Old 05-18-12, 09:36 AM   #75
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe he'll get more money if he bloodies his sock up a bit.