Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-06-17, 07:37 AM   #626
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: One & Only Illegal Immigration Thread: Part IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Your subsequent post was entirely irrelevant since it addressed an entirely different matter and is just thrown in as a red herring.
I can't multitask. I can't put two and two together. One topic at a time!

Protect the 1st Amendment and the Constitution except if you post off topic!
Old 09-06-17, 07:40 AM   #627
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's talk about not being able to overcome our biases when actual facts are right in our face.

http://www.sciencealert.com/our-bias...perceive-facts

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/arc...lind-spot.html

Fear fueled cowards, bigots, and racists are their own worst enemies.

Old 09-06-17, 07:42 AM   #628
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TheAllPurposeNothing

Supermallet's words showed his thinking - and Creek is demonstrating that, many just don't want to see it.
Old 09-06-17, 08:09 AM   #629
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
TheAllPurposeNothing

Supermallet's words showed his thinking - and Creek is demonstrating that, many just don't want to see it.
But that doesn't answer my question:

do either of you have any sense as to what creek thinks is supermallet's "blatant racism"?

Of course this is now moot as creek has verified what he meant. But if you were in the wayback machine to 11 pm last night, at that time, did you understand what creek took to be "blatant"? It's a yes or no question.

A million monkeys with a million brushes still would only eat the paint.
-Poundcake
Old 09-06-17, 08:13 AM   #630
DVD Talk Legend

What prize does he win if he gets it right?

(Sorry, AllPurpose...just too good to pass up)
Old 09-06-17, 08:32 AM   #631
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
If you are suggesting that white supremacists are a "race" deserving of protection, you are sadly mistaken,
It's now White Nationalists... try to keep up.

Sadly because this is an online forum it's impossible to tell if people actually keep a straight face as they use that term, thinking it means something other than modern nazi.
Old 09-06-17, 08:32 AM   #632
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
If you're afraid to answer "yes" or "no" because of a "gotcha" debate...

then you (and others) must be afraid that they'll be "gotten."
How many "yes" or "no" questions has the quoted sidestepped? When did he first gain the "coward" label?

One still seems to think that "choice" is an actual born trait. Being a piece of shit Nazi is not a born trait. It is learned and chosen. Wanting to end Nazism is not racism, it is wanting to end a train of thought.

"Free speech! Free speech! Death to Jews! 1st amendment!"

Old 09-06-17, 09:25 AM   #633
Time Lord

Just a reminder: you don't get to tell minorities how they should protest.
Old 09-06-17, 09:27 AM   #634
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

Old 09-06-17, 09:30 AM   #635
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Seems pretty clear ato me to me, but I'm not a White Nationalist, so what do I know?
Old 09-06-17, 09:32 AM   #636
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Still signing on to those racist statements, Blu?

Old 09-06-17, 09:33 AM   #637
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Well, that's a blatantly racist statement!

note: this is sarcasm.
Old 09-06-17, 09:43 AM   #638
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
No, you're wrong. So very wrong.

Your subsequent post was entirely irrelevant since it addressed an entirely different matter and is just thrown in as a red herring.

Supermallet stated emphatically that non-minorities have no right to tell minorities "how to protest." You keep bringing up "white supremacists" and going off on that tangent.

Grip says that being racist has to involve a feeling of superiority of one's own group toward other groups. That certainly qualifies as one type of racism, but so does singling out particular races...whether majority or minority...and treating them differently without any specific legal justification. I gave examples of basic rules for civic behavior that ALL races & ethnicities should be expected to follow. You seem to agree except for exemptions based upon special circumstances (which we discussed). But then you leave that line of reasoning to jump over to "white supremacists"...whose views no one here is defending.

Can you explain why majority members should not have to follow traffic laws? Can you explain why minority members should not have to follow traffic laws?

That is the question...NOT "white supremacy," "black supremacy," or any other color of "supremacy." Bringing that up is simply a distraction intended to avoid the actual question of preferential treatment toward anyone...majority or minority.

Just answer the actual questions. WHY should any United States citizen not be able to voice an opinion on whether other United States citizens should follow the same laws as all other citizens? If a person says that all U.S. citizens should be subject to the draft, for instance, does that opinion suddenly become moot when race is introduced? It's okay to express the opinion based upon other criteria (age, gender, citizenship status, etc.) but NOT if the race of the citizen is involved?

That's patently absurd and patently racist. To use grip's criteria, it's affording a "special" status to some racial groups when no special status is required to address a particular grievance. You're just treating some people differently based upon their race. It doesn't matter whether they benefit or suffer from that treatment...it's still treating them differently.

If that's not being racist, then no amount of reasoning will convince you.

If Supermallet had suggested that no minority member should be able to tell a majority member how to protest, would you so vigorously agree with that statement as a perfectly reasonable and acceptable approach? Keep in mind that the discussion involved matters of legal/illegality, not using legal means of protest available to all. The latter was never questioned.

If you want to argue that some citizens...based upon race...should be able to ignore laws that are designed to apply to all citizens...then, by all means, please do so. I'm genuinely curious to see what legal argument you would use in court to advance that proposition in a way that would convince reasonable people that such a proposition is (a) legal; (b) constitutional; (c) ethical; (d) desirable.

And...for the life of me...I don't understand this "If you are suggesting..." yada yada stuff. No, I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, any more than you are "suggesting" that all white people should immediately leave for Finland. Why either of us would indulge in that specious tactic "in order to score internet points" is puzzling...at least to me. It's dishonest, it's irrelevant, and it serves no purpose other to directly avoid the question. And I'm surprised that you continue to do that.
The question at hand is "Creekdipper is accusing Supermallet's of overt Racism and provides the quote supermallet used as proof"

In my response, I defined RACISM from a well established source, which then defined racism as related to race, not to any particular group.

If you would, please provide a definition to your meaning of racism.

I most certainly did not mean to include any group of people. Racism is directly related to the firm belief of superiority of a particular race of people.

In paragraph 4 and paragraph 8, you misquote (at most) or misunderstand (at least ) me. What you are speaking of is possibly discrimination and that is not what you stated originally and continue to assert. I request you correct that.

In paragraph 7, Bando answered your question. It was a clear response to it and you even seemed to acknowledge it. In your response here, you decide to persist at the false logic by providing obvious detailed seemingly rhetorical questions about how laws should be followed and again assert race. A paragraph prior, you disconnected race from this.

In paragraph 10, you assert "if you want to argue that...." followed by a supposition. My opinion of your supposition is definitely no. No race should assert usurpation of laws just because they are a race. I'm having difficulty finding such assertions others have made though I'm sure it exists.

However in your final paragraph you state you abhor directly what you did in the paragraph previous. And you are right. It obfuscates the discussion by diverting from the point you have asserted to begin this.

I request that you define racism, from an established source, as you see it. Then we can revisit your post here and attempt to apply it to exactly how Supermallet's comment is overtly racist.

Thanks

I SAY LET EM CRASH"
Old 09-06-17, 10:07 AM   #639
DVD Talk Legend

Sure.

I define being racist as treating people of different races differently given the same set of circumstances. I believe that a random sampling of the population would agree with that definition. If common consensus is not a sufficient source, we'll see how your own definition dovetails below.

(Just to quickly deal with one of your questions: Paragraph #4 & #8 were directed toward Bandoman's comments, not yours.)

Also an important semantic distinction: When someone says, "If you're suggesting...," etc., that is implying that such a suggestion actually took place. When someone says, "If you want to argue...," etc. that is recognizing the logical implications of a particular argument. The first is pretending actual dialogue exists; the latter suggests where thinking will lead if continued along that line. Apples and oranges.

I don't understand the "Paragraph #7" comment at all, unless you are saying that Bandoman confirmed that Supermallet was making an exceptional case for minorities not having to follow the same rules as non-minorities. That, after all, was the crux of the argument.

Again, read Supermallet's statement, which he generously re-posted above. In it, he says that non-minorities "don't get to tell minorities how to protest."

That clearly establishes a separate category based upon race (or ethnicity...take your pick). If minorities are doing something illegal or unconstitutional, why should citizens who are not members of minorities NOT have not only the right but also the duty to protest illegal, unconstitutional actions? You will note that no one ever reverses the advice and says to a minority member, "You don't get to tell majority members how to protest."

And you know the reason why. Because it would be racist...and, according to your own definition, establishing a position of superior privilege for some racial or ethnic groups over others."

In other words...racism.

Hope that answered your questions, and thanks for the excellent discussion (which I hope will continue in the future).
Old 09-06-17, 10:36 AM   #640
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TheAllPurposeNothing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Yes
Spoiler:
Old 09-06-17, 10:40 AM   #641
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey ****** you can't march for your rights! And you better not tell me to stop being a bigoted racist. You telling those bigots of my race to treat your race equally is racism, and I am about to cry.

Old 09-06-17, 10:50 AM   #642
DVD Talk Special Edition

MMM...perhaps I'm thinking we separate in the idea of "minorities" as a race. It is my belief that "minorities" are NOT race based but any group of peoples who are not a majority of the society at large. That could be sliced up in too many ways, including by ethnic heritage (or race), but also by poor or welfare recipients or any one of a number of examples (groups not tied to race). I dont subscribe to the use of "minorities" as a good qualifier for this discussion as it is way too broad and can be applied from both perspectives. Racism, refers specifically to a race. It is not defined in anyway as any group.

As for Paragraph 4 and 8, you quote me directly using your interpretation of minorities as race. I now see that your application was based on the perspective you provided with which I disagree.

Quote:
That clearly establishes a separate category based upon race (or ethnicity...take your pick). If minorities are doing something illegal or unconstitutional, why should citizens who are not members of minorities NOT have not only the right but also the duty to protest illegal, unconstitutional actions? You will note that no one ever reverses the advice and says to a minority member, "You don't get to tell majority members how to protest."

And you know the reason why. Because it would be racist...and, according to your own definition, establishing a position of superior privilege for some racial or ethnic groups over others."
Given what I stated above and clarifying the separation of Minority and Race, I disagree with you completely. The grouping of "Minorities" can be applied way to broadly, but I can see how you applied it using your perspective as well.

So it is for Supermallet's quote, from my understanding of those terms, this is not a racist quote. By your reckoning, it is.

On another note I would like to address the paragraph with the phrase "If minorities are doing something illegal or unconstitutional, why should citizens who are not members of minorities NOT have not only the right but also the duty to protest illegal, unconstitutional actions?"

I believe they do (by that I mean your "not members of minorities"). I believe anyone does. I would be delighted in equality in the applications of our laws and constitutional rights. But as you know, those laws and even the constitution can be viewed VERY differently by different perspectives. It's what makes our country so great and so frustrating.

Your "if" statement states the logic that if you are of one perspective, the converse of that perspective you must be against. This is definitely not so. I cant subscribe to that mentality.

To be clear, I'm a 3rd generation Mexican-American. I have personally seen the injustices and mishandling of my constitutionally guaranteed rights of myself, my friends and my family at the hands of not only authorities sworn to protect me, but by the systematic discrimination by a wide and varied group of people. I will not call that "Racism", as my own group were some of ones doing the discriminating, in addition to other persons who are not part of my ethnic background. I am a firm believer that equality of justice does not exist in practice. But our laws allow for the interpretation of fairness to be debated depending on your perspective and logic. And that logic is affected by ones own biases, dislikes, likes and of potentially ones own prejudice and racism.

I SAY LET EM CRASH"
Old 09-06-17, 11:13 AM   #643
DVD Talk Legend

I believe that the context of the discussion involved racial minorities, but it's possible that it didn't. I didn't see that offered as an excuse, but fair is fair.

You reasoning makes sense. If we are including all minorities such as the categories you described), then I agree with you 100%

I will note that other posters vehemently disagreeing with me, including an attorney, seemed to pick up on the same "race" vibe that I did. For instance, Bandoman said, "A statement that takes race into account isn't by definition a racist statement." That indicates to me that he also thought the discussion was focused on racial minorities.

I appreciate the nuance you discuss in your last paragraph and totally agree that "the letter of the law" has to be tempered by extenuating circumstances. As an authority figure, I often used discretion in dealing with similar offenses depending on a wide range of factors. Justice is not always a "one size fits all" approach.

However...and I am subject to correction...I believe that the discussion at the time focused on the illegal use of force to suppress speech being used as a tactic of "protest." While that is a stand-alone topic that transcends race, the statement about non-minority citizens not having the moral right to object to illegal actions establishes a double standard for minorities and non-minorities. If use of the term "minorities" was not intended to refer to racial minorities, then "racist" would obviously not apply. I'm not sure what term would apply, but the precedent doesn't change. Minorities would be judged by one standard; majorities another. And we're not talking about "marching," "making signs," "chanting," or any other form of legal protest. We're talking about proactively acting violently against others who are exercising their constitutional rights. And I agree with you that no American citizen has the right to usurp the constitutional rights of others regardless of how well-intentioned their reasons may be.

Because then each person would be free to decide when they are justified in taking extralegal actions, whether it be shooting KKK members or shooting abortion doctors.
Old 09-12-17, 08:44 AM   #644
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-13-17, 11:18 AM   #645
DVD Talk Hero

DACA student targeted by classmate says university has done nothing to help

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/outed-d...ia-university/
Old 09-18-17, 05:12 PM   #646
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Illegal Immigrants Protest Pelosi Press Conference