Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

View Poll Results: What % of self-identified Republicans are aware of Obamacare's conservative roots?
0 to 25% 33 76.74%
26 to 50% 1 2.33%
51 to 75% 0 0%
76 to 100% 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-12, 08:33 PM   #501
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 6,957
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Nice try. If you don't make stuff up people might care about your opinion.
You could have also followed the link I posted since Rush puts transcripts of his shows up (which is where I got them before).

Might've tried "rush limbaugh" with either "sandra fluke" or "birth control" in Google.

http://www.google.com/

Eventually you gotta start doing a bit of the ol' research yourself, especially useful when you can't remember major political stories from 60 days ago.

__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:36 PM   #502
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,749
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
cpgator, when Rush Limbaugh was attacking Sandra Fluke -- the Georgetown Law student who testified before Congress on mandatory insurance coverage of bir control -- he made comments stating that the reason Ms. fluke's birth control was expensive was because she was having "so much" sex. That certainly suggests Limbaugh has a misconception that there is a relationship between how much sex you have and how much birth control you need. But hormone-based birth control does not work that way.
So you actually believe that Rush doesn't understand how the pill works? Really?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 09:43 PM   #503
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 6,957
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
So you actually believe that Rush doesn't understand how the pill works? Really?
What he actually said was "she's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex. What does that make us? We're the pimps." Over multiple jokes he hammered in that paying for contraception was tantamount to paying her for sex. He also shat out "If we are going to pay for your contraceptives, and thus pay for you to have sex, we want something for it, and I'll tell you what it is. We want you to post the videos online so we can all watch."

Does Rush not understand it? Does he bank on his audience not knowing? Who knows. But it wouldn't be the first time politics showed a giant lack of basic reproductive science. Popular right-wing slogans like “life begins at conception” still happen even though the way most birth control works is not by blocking fertilization, but by blocking the uterine implantation of a fertilized egg. I can't even tell you how often I heard people think we get embryonic stem cells from aborted fetuses (scientifically impossible) as opposed to left over from in vitro fertilization from fertility clinics.
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 09:54 PM   #504
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,749
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
What he actually said was "she's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex. What does that make us? We're the pimps." Over multiple jokes he hammered in that paying for contraception was tantamount to paying her for sex. He also shat out "If we are going to pay for your contraceptives, and thus pay for you to have sex, we want something for it, and I'll tell you what it is. We want you to post the videos online so we can all watch."

Does Rush not understand it? Does he bank on his audience not knowing? Who knows.
Who knows? Everyone except you apparently. Rush understands how the pill works, and so do the vast majority of his listeners. Just like the vast majority of all guys over the age of 16. They at least know it is a daily pill, even if you don't have sex every single day.

But if you want to continue to believe that only the left understands how the pill works, then go ahead and live in that world.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 10:51 PM   #505
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 34,180
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
So you actually believe that Rush doesn't understand how the pill works? Really?
You asked a question. Don't get pissy just because you don't like the answer.
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 12:45 AM   #506
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 6,957
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Who knows? Everyone except you apparently. Rush understands how the pill works, and so do the vast majority of his listeners. Just like the vast majority of all guys over the age of 16. They at least know it is a daily pill, even if you don't have sex every single day.

But if you want to continue to believe that only the left understands how the pill works, then go ahead and live in that world.
The same Rush who dropped out of college his first year because he was failing? I'm glad you have a mind-link with the mental midget, but the rest of us just gotta go by what the guy says... and says repeatedly without going back and restating for later clarification. And I didn't say the "only the left" know how the pill works, I said he doesn't (or pretended to not) know it.

What I don't get is, if you had Rush telepathy power all along, how come you didn't know what he said before? Or does the bond you two share transcend such things and lets you go into this blind defense unconditionally?
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 01:11 PM   #507
kvrdave
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 81,649
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
I'm glad you have a mind-link with the mental midget, but the rest of us just gotta go by what the guy says...
Yeah, that's what "the rest of us" go by.
__________________
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 04:47 PM   #508
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Land of the Lobstrosities
Posts: 9,184
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

I don't know if Rush made the argument but shortly after Fluke's testimony I did read somewhere that the dollar amount she testified about was greater than any single bc drug treatment could cost and the only way to reach that amount was to use a very large amount of single use prophylactics. That argument may have been what led to his "she's a slut" line also, but I don't know because I've only heard the slut soundbites.
__________________
wes
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 10:56 AM   #509
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,769
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/pj-glad...health-mandate

HHS Sebelius Forced to Admit Total Constitutional Ignorance of Health Mandate Legal Issues

By P.J. Gladnick

April 29, 2012

Get me outta here! I'm being forced in a most humiliating manner to reveal to all the world my profound ignorance of basic constitutional issues.

Something like that thought must have been rolling around inside the mind of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius while she completely choked under questioning about these legal issues by South Carolina Congressman Trey Gowdy. Even if you disagree profoundly with Sebelius you almost have to feel embarrassed by her pathetic performance last week at the House Education and Workforce Committee hearing. Fortunately for Sebelius her confessions of ignorance were completely ignored by the Mainstream Media but the video lives on for all eternity to serve as a testament to liberal ignorance and arrogance.



Thus far the only two news sites to cover this train wreck of a testimony by Sebelius are the New York Sun and the Catholic News Agency. Here is the Sun's description of the video:

Quote:
What a remarkable glimpse of the gulf between the administration and Congress over religious freedom is flashing around the internet. It is a Youtube video of the secretary of health and human services, Kathleen Sebelius, at a hearing of the House Education and Workforce Committee hearing. She is being grilled by a Republican congressman of South Carolina, Trey Gowdy. He asks her about her a statement she has made about seeking a balance between believer’s rights and the contraception mandate. What becomes clear is that there is no feel for, no thought about, but glancing attention to the Constitution the secretary is sworn to support.
Yes, the video is "flashing around the internet" but the MSM has yet to report on it. The Catholic New Agency provides additional details on what took place:

Quote:
HHS secretary Kathleen Sebelius says she was unaware of legal precedents confirming religious freedom, even as she sought a “balance” between believers' rights and the contraception mandate.

“I'm not a lawyer, and I don't pretend to understand the nuances of the constitutional balancing tests,” Sebelius told Representative Trey Gowdy (R–SC) during an April 26 hearing.

In her responses to subsequent questions, the secretary admitted she was unaware of Supreme Court cases stretching back several decades, in which religious believers' rights against government intrusion were upheld by the court.
Just how amazingly "unaware" Sebelius was can be seen later in the report:

Quote:
Gowdy cited the “rational basis” test – which involves the legitimacy of a state's interest in legislation – as well as the criteria of “intermediate scrutiny” and “strict scrutiny,” which judges apply in order to gauge a law's relevance to fundamental state concerns.

When Sebelius responded that she did not understand the “nuances” of these tests, she was pressed by Gowdy to explain why she regarded the contraception mandate as constitutionally valid. The rule has been criticized for requiring religious groups to cooperate in providing sterilization and abortifacients.

“This mandate is going to wind up in the Supreme Court,” the South Carolina representative declared.

“We can talk about the politics all we want to. I want to talk about the law,” he told Sebelius. “I want to talk about balancing religious liberty with whatever else you think it's appropriate to balance it with – because you used the word 'balance.'”

“Which of those three tests is the appropriate test to use when considering religious liberty?”

“I am not going to wade into constitutional law,” Sebelius responded. “We are implementing the (health care reform) law that was passed by the Congress, signed by the president, which directed our department to develop a package of preventive health services for women.”

Sebelius said she agreed with the statement that government could not “force certain religious beliefs on its citizens.” When asked why this could not happen, she cited “the separation of church and state,” a phrase not found in the U.S. Constitution.

“It's the Constitution,” Gowdy replied, citing the First Amendment which guarantees the “free exercise of religion.”

Sebelius also agreed with Gowdy's statement that government could not “decide which religious beliefs are acceptable and not acceptable.” This, she acknowledged, is “part of our Constitution.”

“So, before this rule was promulgated,” Gowdy continued, referring to the federal contraception mandate, “did you read any of the Supreme Court cases on religious liberty?”

“I did not,” Sebelius responded.


...“So when a state said, 'You have to send your children to school until a certain age,' and a religious group objected because they did not want to send their children to school until that certain age, do you know who won?” he asked. “It went to the Supreme Court.”

The 1970s case, Wisconsin v. Yoder, is considered a landmark in U.S. jurisprudence. Sebelius said she did not know its outcome. “The religious group won,” Gowdy informed her.

“I think the state has a compelling interest in banning animal sacrifice,” he continued. “When a state banned the practice of animal sacrifice and a religious group objected, it went to the Supreme Court. Do you know who won that?”

“I do not, sir,” Sebelius responded. She was again informed that the religious group prevailed, in the 1993 case of Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. Hialeah.

“When a religious group objected to having a certain license tag on their cars, it went to the Supreme Court,” Gowdy said, in an apparent reference to the 1976 case of Wooley v. Maynard. “Do you know who won?”

Sebelius said she was unaware of this outcome as well. “The religious group won,” Gowdy told her.

The congressman also noted the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's recent 9-0 loss in the Supreme Court.
The commission accused a Lutheran church and school of retaliatory firing, but lost the case when all nine justices upheld the school's right to choose employees on religious grounds.

“So when you say you 'balanced' things,” Gowdy said, “can you see why I might be seeking a constitutional balancing, instead of any other kind?”

“I do,” Sebelius said, “and I defer to our lawyers to give me good advice on the Constitution. I do not pretend to be a constitutional lawyer.”

“Is there a legal memo that you relied on?” Gowdy asked. “At least when Attorney General Holder made his recess appointments, there was a legal memo that he relied on. Is there one that you can share with us?”

“Attorney General Holder clearly runs the Justice Department and lives in a world of legal memos,” Sebelius responded, saying she “relied on discussions.”
And apparently Sebelius lives in a world of liberal bubbles divorced from legal reality.

Please be sure to watch the video to properly savor the full flavor of the comedy and pathos, along with irritation, presented by Sebelius. Remember Kathleen, thanks to your MSM allies your embarrassing "command performance" on Capitol Hill remains a secret...por ahora.

p.s. Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. Hialeah? I have to remember that case just for the name.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 11:17 AM   #510
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,659
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

What a patronizing douche. Sibelius was just ignoring him. What a babbling idiot. Animal sacrifice, wha?
__________________
We are 138
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 12:41 PM   #511
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 34,180
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Secretary Sebelius is not a lawyer, but the Department of HHS has lawyers who advise the Secretary. Presumably, those lawyers did a better job than did the lawyers who prepared Rep. Gowdy. For example, a competent lawyer might recognize that in Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah, the outcome was a result of the fact that the object of the law was to target the Santeria religion. A competent lawyer might also recognize that Wisconsin v. Yoder predates Employment Division v. Smith, in which the Supreme Court recognized that a neutral, generally applicable law is not unconstitutional merely because it burdens religion, and pointed out that the key distinction in Yoder was the fact that it implicated not only religious rights, but parental rights.

One might, of course, expect the kind of ignorant demagoguery on display in grundle's article from a member of Congress, but shouldn't a DVDTalk poster be held to higher standards?
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 04:17 PM   #512
classicman2
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,022
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

I don't believe any cabinet secretary should be a lawyer - not even the Attorney General.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 12:57 PM   #513
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,769
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

This is the kind of thing that happens when government becomes too powerful, too intrusive, and too overreaching:


http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8GFHC620120515

Catholic college drops health plan over contraception mandate

By Stephanie Simon

May 15, 2012

May 15 (Reuters) - A small Catholic college in Ohio said Tuesday it was dropping health insurance coverage for students rather than comply with a federal mandate that the plan provide free birth control.

The Franciscan University of Steubenville "will not participate in a plan that requires us to violate the consistent teachings of the Catholic Church on the sacredness of human life," according to a bulletin to students posted on the university's website.


Not only will the university drop its own plan, but it will no longer require its undergraduates to carry insurance, the bulletin said. "We didn't want to put them in a situation where they would have to violate their conscience," said Michael Hernon, a vice president at Franciscan University.

Fewer than 200 of the 2,500 students at the campus in southeast Ohio had been buying insurance from the university, Hernon said.

The Obama administration announced earlier this year that insurance plans have to provide free contraception starting this summer, including the "morning-after pill," which prevents pregnancy if taken within a few days of unprotected sex.

The administration considers birth control a preventive service which must be covered by all plans, akin to diabetes screening, childhood immunizations or mammograms.

The Catholic Church teaches that the use of artificial contraception is a sin, though polls show the vast majority of Catholic women of reproductive age have used birth control at some point. Many Christians consider the morning-after pill to be an abortifacient because it can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the womb.

Obama tried to accommodate Catholic outrage over the mandate by giving religious institutions an extra year to comply and by assuring them they would not have to pay for the birth control coverage themselves; their insurers would pick up the tab.

That appeased some Catholic groups but many others, including the powerful U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, remain implacably opposed.

Several Catholic and evangelical Christian universities have challenged the contraceptive mandate in court. Those cases have not yet come to trial. Hernon said Franciscan University is weighing a lawsuit.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Supreme Court is considering a challenge to the broad health-care overhaul that is one of Obama's signature domestic accomplishments. If the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is invalidated by the Supreme Court, the contraceptive mandate would likely fall by the wayside as well.

With the new health insurance year set to start in August, however, administrators at Franciscan University chose not to wait for the court's ruling. In addition to the contraception mandate, they said they were concerned that premiums for the student plan would rise because the Affordable Care Act also mandates other specific services be covered.

So the bulletin advised students that they should begin to figure out "how you are going to provide for accidents or illnesses."

The university will maintain its health insurance plan for faculty, for now. That plan does not cover birth control. Hernon said administrators are "looking at all the options" as they decide how, or whether, to continue the plan in the future if the contraceptive mandate is upheld.

The university, which was founded 60 years ago to serve World War Two veterans, is ranked as one of the top-tier private colleges in the Midwest. It boasts on its website that its academics and culture are "grounded in a passionately Catholic faith tradition."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 01:30 PM   #514
Navinabob
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 6,957
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
This is the kind of thing that happens when government becomes too powerful, too intrusive, and too overreaching:


http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8GFHC620120515

Catholic college drops health plan over contraception mandate

By Stephanie Simon

May 15, 2012

May 15 (Reuters) - A small Catholic college in Ohio said Tuesday it was dropping health insurance coverage for students rather than comply with a federal mandate that the plan provide free birth control.

The Franciscan University of Steubenville "will not participate in a plan that requires us to violate the consistent teachings of the Catholic Church on the sacredness of human life," according to a bulletin to students posted on the university's website.


Not only will the university drop its own plan, but it will no longer require its undergraduates to carry insurance, the bulletin said. "We didn't want to put them in a situation where they would have to violate their conscience," said Michael Hernon, a vice president at Franciscan University.

Fewer than 200 of the 2,500 students at the campus in southeast Ohio had been buying insurance from the university, Hernon said.

The Obama administration announced earlier this year that insurance plans have to provide free contraception starting this summer, including the "morning-after pill," which prevents pregnancy if taken within a few days of unprotected sex.

The administration considers birth control a preventive service which must be covered by all plans, akin to diabetes screening, childhood immunizations or mammograms.

The Catholic Church teaches that the use of artificial contraception is a sin, though polls show the vast majority of Catholic women of reproductive age have used birth control at some point. Many Christians consider the morning-after pill to be an abortifacient because it can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the womb.

Obama tried to accommodate Catholic outrage over the mandate by giving religious institutions an extra year to comply and by assuring them they would not have to pay for the birth control coverage themselves; their insurers would pick up the tab.

That appeased some Catholic groups but many others, including the powerful U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, remain implacably opposed.

Several Catholic and evangelical Christian universities have challenged the contraceptive mandate in court. Those cases have not yet come to trial. Hernon said Franciscan University is weighing a lawsuit.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Supreme Court is considering a challenge to the broad health-care overhaul that is one of Obama's signature domestic accomplishments. If the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is invalidated by the Supreme Court, the contraceptive mandate would likely fall by the wayside as well.

With the new health insurance year set to start in August, however, administrators at Franciscan University chose not to wait for the court's ruling. In addition to the contraception mandate, they said they were concerned that premiums for the student plan would rise because the Affordable Care Act also mandates other specific services be covered.

So the bulletin advised students that they should begin to figure out "how you are going to provide for accidents or illnesses."

The university will maintain its health insurance plan for faculty, for now. That plan does not cover birth control. Hernon said administrators are "looking at all the options" as they decide how, or whether, to continue the plan in the future if the contraceptive mandate is upheld.

The university, which was founded 60 years ago to serve World War Two veterans, is ranked as one of the top-tier private colleges in the Midwest. It boasts on its website that its academics and culture are "grounded in a passionately Catholic faith tradition."
That is what happens when you have a Catholic college. You get an organization that cares more about arcane and largely irrelevant nonsense then human health.
__________________
“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.” -- Thomas Jefferson

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 01:32 PM   #515
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,659
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Somehow I'm thinking this won't affect enrollment at "The Franciscan University of Steubenville."

And besides, wasn't there already a concession made to Catholic organizations to allow them NOT to provide coverage?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 02:01 PM   #516
kvrdave
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 81,649
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
That is what happens when you have a Catholic college. You get an organization that cares more about arcane and largely irrelevant nonsense then human health.
That's what happens when you get environmentalists as well. You just pick your sides and decide the others are the dolts.
__________________
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 02:59 PM   #517
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,659
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

If you consider the environment "arcane" and "irrelevant" I suppose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:44 PM   #518
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 19,585
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

This issue is one of choice. You might not care about this choice. But there will be plenty you will.

It scares the crap out of me that the government is eliminating my choices based on that I'm not smart enough to make my own choice. Or that I don't care enough about others that they will force me to.
__________________
Live Free. Dine Well. Drink good beer.

Home Theater Build
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 11:23 PM   #519
kvrdave
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 81,649
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
This issue is one of choice. You might not care about this choice. But there will be plenty you will.

It scares the crap out of me that the government is eliminating my choices based on that I'm not smart enough to make my own choice. Or that I don't care enough about others that they will force me to.
But they are pro-choice....so long as you choose to do what they want.
__________________
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 07:23 AM   #520
classicman2
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,022
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
But they are pro-choice....so long as you choose to do what they want.
I find, that after living a number of decades, people are funny that way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 08:32 AM   #521
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,659
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
This issue is one of choice. You might not care about this choice. But there will be plenty you will.

It scares the crap out of me that the government is eliminating my choices based on that I'm not smart enough to make my own choice. Or that I don't care enough about others that they will force me to.
What choice are you speaking about?

The healthcare reform that we had to settle for has it's only foundation built on the individual mandate. Without it, people would just not get insurance until they needed it or would just allow us to continue to foot their bill. That defeats the point. Of course, all of this could be avoided with single-payer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 05:52 PM   #522
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,769
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
This is the kind of thing that happens when government becomes too powerful, too intrusive, and too overreaching:

My same comment also applies to this next story too.

(I think the fine of 75 cents per student is cumulative over each day the vending machine is turned on, in addition to being based on the number of students, because I doubt the school has 20,000 students)


http://www.theblaze.com/stories/utah...-during-lunch/

Utah School Fined $15,000 for Accidentally Selling Soda During Lunch

May 17, 2012

by Jonathon M. Seidl

A Utah high school is learning the hard way that the government is serious about nudging students away from food it doesn’t want them to consume. Davis High School in the Salt Lake City area is having to fork over a whopping $15,000 in fines to the Feds because it accidentally sold soda through a vending machine during lunch.

Federal law requires the school to turn off its soda machines during the lunch period, which is 47 minutes a day. And Davis High school did turn off the machines in the lunch room. However, the school didn‘t realize that there was another machine in the school bookstore that wasn’t being turned off. And when the food police realized it, the school was hit with a $0.75 fine per student for the duration of the offense.

Now the school is going to have to cut money to fine arts programs to make up the cost.

But here’s where things really get nutty, so to speak. Davis High School Principal Dee Burton said that the law is disingenuous. For example, while students can’t buy soda, they can buy sugar-loaded sports drinks and even Snickers bars because they contain, you guessed it, nuts. In addition, students can buy soda earlier in the day before the machines get turned off and drink it during lunch.

And simple economics is at play, too. The ban isn’t forcing students to stop drinking or eating the sugar-laced food and drink. It’s just driving them to places where they can get it.

“The misconception is if we don’t let kids buy candy and pop, we drive them to the cafeteria, it doesn’t drive them to the cafeteria it drives them off campus,” Burton told KUTV.

One commenter on the KUTV website picked up on that.

“The principal is right, the kids will leave campus. What are you going to do? Close Walmart and Quick Trip for 47 minutes every day?” the commenter wrote.

Don’t give them any ideas.

Last edited by grundle; 05-17-12 at 05:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 05:54 PM   #523
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,769
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
But they are pro-choice....so long as you choose to do what they want.
I miss the old days, when Democratic politicians said that they favored "separation of church and state," and that the government should "stay out of the bedroom."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 05:56 PM   #524
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,769
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
If you consider the environment "arcane" and "irrelevant" I suppose.
I love the environment so much that I am actually aware of the fact that carbon dioxide is plant food, and not a pollutant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 06:42 PM   #525
WCChiCubsFan
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,360
Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
My same comment also applies to this next story too.

(I think the fine of 75 cents per student is cumulative over each day the vending machine is turned on, in addition to being based on the number of students, because I doubt the school has 20,000 students)


http://www.theblaze.com/stories/utah...-during-lunch/

Utah School Fined $15,000 for Accidentally Selling Soda During Lunch

May 17, 2012

by Jonathon M. Seidl

A Utah high school is learning the hard way that the government is serious about nudging students away from food it doesn’t want them to consume. Davis High School in the Salt Lake City area is having to fork over a whopping $15,000 in fines to the Feds because it accidentally sold soda through a vending machine during lunch.

Federal law requires the school to turn off its soda machines during the lunch period, which is 47 minutes a day. And Davis High school did turn off the machines in the lunch room. However, the school didn‘t realize that there was another machine in the school bookstore that wasn’t being turned off. And when the food police realized it, the school was hit with a $0.75 fine per student for the duration of the offense.

Now the school is going to have to cut money to fine arts programs to make up the cost.

But here’s where things really get nutty, so to speak. Davis High School Principal Dee Burton said that the law is disingenuous. For example, while students can’t buy soda, they can buy sugar-loaded sports drinks and even Snickers bars because they contain, you guessed it, nuts. In addition, students can buy soda earlier in the day before the machines get turned off and drink it during lunch.

And simple economics is at play, too. The ban isn’t forcing students to stop drinking or eating the sugar-laced food and drink. It’s just driving them to places where they can get it.

“The misconception is if we don’t let kids buy candy and pop, we drive them to the cafeteria, it doesn’t drive them to the cafeteria it drives them off campus,” Burton told KUTV.

One commenter on the KUTV website picked up on that.

“The principal is right, the kids will leave campus. What are you going to do? Close Walmart and Quick Trip for 47 minutes every day?” the commenter wrote.

Don’t give them any ideas.
I think it is fair to point out that the only reason the school falls under the guidelines they violated is because they willingly take Federal money in the first place.

Don't take the money and sell all the sodas you want all day long. If you take the money comply with the guidelines.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.