Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-13-11, 08:04 PM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This is from a liberal blog, so you can all ignore it:
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-13-11, 08:13 PM   #127

Quote:
Question: Assuming that more people are participating in the pro-labor rallies than participate in the tea party rallies, why did the latter get so much more media coverage than the former?
I can think of a few reasons.

First, the union protest has been going on for 3 weeks. And it's already gotten a lot of attention. I think it's been on the national news every day. So even though Saturday's protest may have been the biggest, the story is pretty played out.

Second, the Tea Party brought out a lot of people that haven't protested before. Conservatives aren't known for their protest marches. But a weekend doesn't go by without Liberals protesting something.

And third, Saturday's protest got little coverage because the situation in Japan is dominating the news. The devastating tsunami and nuclear meltdown is a bigger story.

But the quantity of media coverage isn't important. It's how the event is covered. The Tea Party was portrayed as angry and racist. The union protest has been portrayed as peaceful and sympathetic.
Old 03-13-11, 08:13 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Question: Assuming that more people are participating in the pro-labor rallies than participate in the tea party rallies, why did the latter get so much more media coverage than the former?
One fits the narrative presented by Fox News, the other doesn't.
Old 03-13-11, 08:20 PM   #129
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I can think of a few reasons.

First, the union protest has been going on for 3 weeks. And it's already gotten a lot of attention. I think it's been on the national news every day. So even though Saturday's protest may have been the biggest, the story is pretty played out.

Second, the Tea Party brought out a lot of people that haven't protested before. Conservatives aren't known for their protest marches. But a weekend doesn't go by without Liberals protesting something.

And third, Saturday's protest got little coverage because the situation in Japan is dominating the news. The devastating tsunami and nuclear meltdown is a bigger story.

But the quantity of media coverage isn't important. It's how the event is covered. The Tea Party was portrayed as angry and racist. The union protest has been portrayed as peaceful and sympathetic.
Shhh! Don't go making sense!
Old 03-14-11, 10:51 PM   #130
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
This is from a liberal blog, so you can all ignore it:

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/13/...han-tea-party/

Isn't this counterproductive?

If indeed the tea party rallies got more coverage I guess it would be because it was more interesting. Anything controversial is going to get more media coverage because the media wants to sell ads.

This reminds me when some conservatives were asking, "Why didn't the other major networks/cable channels pick up on the ACORN story sooner?"
Old 03-15-11, 04:43 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Question: does the media tend to report on Tea Party rallies to convince viewers to join the cause, or to convince viewers that everybody in a Tea Party rally hates black people?
Old 03-15-11, 05:29 PM   #132
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The media reported on the Tea Party because Republicans want to hear about how great, honest and patriotic they are, and Democrats want to hear how ignorant and racist republicans are. The best part is both political ideology groups get to take the same exact event and each only has to cut out about 15% of the facts in order to make their point be true. It's a shame we all can't agree that the Tea Party is honestly a great organization made up ignorant racist patriots.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 03-17-11, 05:08 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Has anybody seen ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, or NPR report on the death threats that Wisconsin politicians have been receiving?

You'd think that death threats against a sitting politician would be newsworthy, especially in the wake of the Tucson shooting.
Old 03-17-11, 09:43 AM   #134
DVD Talk Hero

And what makes you think the death threats are legitimate, and not a tactic used by the Right to make the Left look bad - heck, in that phone call they pretty much admitted to considering throwing rabble-rousers into the crowds. This is just the next progression of that thinking.
Old 03-17-11, 10:20 AM   #135
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And what makes you think the death threats are legitimate, and not a tactic used by the Right to make the Left look bad...
Maybe because it's been confirmed.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10677162-post1228.html
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 03-17-11, 10:45 AM   #136
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Maybe because it's been confirmed.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10677162-post1228.html
That's not confirmation. That's a post on a blog.
Old 03-17-11, 10:59 AM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
That's not confirmation. That's a post on a blog.
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/absoluten...=2448&zoneid=1
Old 03-17-11, 11:07 AM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

I don't really know much about this HULIQ but here is their "about us.":

http://www.huliq.com/about-us

Quote:
About Us

HULIQ.com is an independent news organization and is owned by Hareyan Publishing LLC,

Our mission is to report the news on current events and inform the public while being one of the first original sources to report on news events. HULIQ reporters investigate recent events in detail.

The news is reported and maintained by our Huliq editors and HULIQ reporting team. Currently HULIQ has 16 reporters and 3 editors that work at our news-desk daily and they can be easily contacted.

HULIQ aims to share information and promote knowledge about current events.

HULIQ Media
A Hareyan Publishing Company

4128 2nd. St. NW
Hickory, NC 28601
Tel. 828 291-5884
Email: info at HULIQ dot com
Not really a blog. And is it not true that the threat was in a real email and that they found the writer?

But if that's not good enough for you, here's the report from the Wisconsin Department of Justice:

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/absoluten...=2448&zoneid=1

Perhaps the La Crosse Tribune counts as a legitimate news source:

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/stat...cc4c03286.html

There a number of other articles about this that can be easily found.

As I said in my post in the Cheeseheads thread, I doubt the idiot writing the threat would actually have carried it out. But the threat was made and the perpetrator was found. That is established. I really don't get the silly charge that the Republicans did it to make the Democrats look bad. Such things have happened but clearly not in this case.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 03-17-11, 11:08 AM   #139
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
That is better. Thank you.
Old 03-17-11, 11:11 AM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I see you beat me with the DOJ release.

When I was originally looking around for versions of the story I posted the HULIQ piece because it was the most complete article I found. Probably because most major news outlets were ignoring it.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 03-17-11 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 11:16 AM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
That is better. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I see you beat me with the DOJ release.

When I was originally looking around for versions of the story I posted the HULIQ piece because it was the most complete article I found.
Old 03-18-11, 12:29 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Has anybody seen ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, or NPR report on the death threats that Wisconsin politicians have been receiving?
A columnist at Huffpo has a pretty good commentary regarding the lack of coverage:

Quote:
Shame: Ignoring Death Threats to Wisconsin Politicians Is Media Bias

Three questions for you.

1. Do you think of Republicans and the Tea Party as dangerous, violent extremists?

2. Do you think the Wisconsin protests over GOP Governor Scott Walker's move to strip public sector employees of collective bargaining were peaceful?

3. Do you scoff at the right wing notion that mainstream media like the New York Times, the TV networks and NPR have a liberal media bias against the conservatives?

If you answered 'yes' to all three of those questions, then let me ask you one more...

Why isn't the mainstream media talking about the death threats against Republican politicians in Wisconsin?

Try to set aside whatever biases or preconceptions you might have for a moment and ask yourself why death threats against politicians aren't considered national news, especially in the wake of the all too fresh shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and other bystanders. And there hasn't just been one death threat, but a number of them.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lee-st..._b_835805.html
Old 03-18-11, 07:50 AM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
A columnist at Huffpo has a pretty good commentary regarding the lack of coverage:
Good for HuffPo for printing this. Also, surprisingly (to me anyway), many of the commenters agree with the author.

I don't think this is a huge story but it is newsworthy and should be reported.

Far more egregious is that the MSM has ignored the fact that the delaying tactics (the bill should have passed nearly a month ago but the Dem senators ran away and there have been other delays like the Democratic secretary of state putting off publishing the bill as long as he can) have allowed many local Wisconsin governments to collude (I don't think that's too strong a word) with unions to get contract extensions that don't comply with the new law in under the wire. (See the Cheeseheads threads.)

- David French
Old 03-18-11, 07:51 AM   #144
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
It's been well documented that the DOJ of Wisconsin is owned by Fox News.
Well, the AG is a dirty rotten Republican. Probably owned by the Koch brothers.

- David French
Old 03-18-11, 07:16 PM   #145

Old 03-18-11, 09:59 PM   #146
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
That is great.

- David French
Old 03-18-11, 11:01 PM   #147
DVD Talk Hero

Liberal bias? Conservative bias? I think we can all agree that what television media really has is a tremendous bias towards mediocrity.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/18/fa...ent-to-japan/#

Quote:
CNN alone will have a team of roughly 400 reporters, cameramen and crew assigned to the wedding. The network has 50 people on the ground working on the breaking news in Japan, plus others scattered in Bahrain, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt. Ten cameras will be stationed around Buckingham Palace to capture the day's money shot—the royal family assembling on the balcony as Prince William and his bride share a kiss.
Old 03-19-11, 12:23 AM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

This whole media bias thing is a Rorschach test.
Old 03-19-11, 12:52 AM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Liberal bias? Conservative bias? I think we can all agree that what television media really has is a tremendous bias towards mediocrity.

Well, they have to cover the important stuff first.

I'm a creationist, I believe man created God. - Seen on a bumper sticker
Old 03-19-11, 02:41 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post

I thought 400 sounded insane and it is. CNN says they are "only" sending a team of 50.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecut...-wedding-plans

Oh, and yet another "unbiased" reporter is going to work for the Obama Admin: link

Last edited by wmansir; 03-19-11 at 02:48 AM.