Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 12-03-10, 10:12 AM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
School lunches...don't get me started. If people can't feed their kids they need to take a long hard look in the mirror. That should be your number one priority as a parent. Before feeding yourself, before having a roof over your head, anything. If you can't do that, maybe you should consider adoption, or some fucking birth control.

Recieving school lunches fucks these kid's heads up. Their 6 years old and they're already recieving hand outs. They'll never recover.

And the government food that our tax dollars pay to shovel into these kids is pure poison. They'd be better off without it.
I take it you've never encountered any of these children?
Old 12-03-10, 10:14 AM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Sorry bleeding hearts, my mind is made up on this issue. My wife teaches in a title 1 school here in California, which means >75% of students are on free or reduced lunch. But all her students have cel phones and xBoxes and new sneakers. The families have excessive discretionary income because they don't have to pay to feed their kids. Meanwhile I pay to feed my kid and I pay my taxes that feed their kids.

The net effect of feeding the poor is that it frees up their discretionary income to spend on foolish things that keep them poor.

And the government over spends on poor quality food and most of it ends up in the trash.
Hopefully your wife doesn't make such foolish generalizations.
Old 12-03-10, 10:22 AM   #78

I'm pretty sure that most of the kids taking a subsidized lunch are spending their weekends sipping champagne on a yacht while laughing manically at the follow of the taxpayer. "Muahahahahahahahaha!"

To make my statistic even more believable I'll attach a percentage to it. 80%. 80% of them do this.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 12-03-10, 10:41 AM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Kids that receive a free or reduced lunch have parents that completed an application which shows their income is below a certain level. Period. There is no test to see if the parents have an Xbox or an air conditioner. I can tell you that we have kids in our district whose only real meals come from the school. Yes, their parents are likely slovenly moronic people. That doesn't change the fact that the kids show up in dirty clothes in need of a decent meal. Because, possibly, with a proper education the kid might actually transcend his situation.
Old 12-03-10, 12:16 PM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I take it you've never encountered any of these children?
I encounter them all the time.

And nothing I said is a generalization, it's my firm belief based on actual observation and the testimony of my spouse.

Yes these kids are "poor", but 30 years ago poor meant hand-me-down clothes, second hand toys, maybe a fixed up third hand bike. I went to a California school that WAS NOT title one and we had poor kids. Kids whose negligent parents wouldn't bath them for days, kids with ill fitting clothes and shoes from Payless; I had a friend who had NO toys, nothing, and a single mom who came home around 6:00pm.

Has this dissapeared? No. But today, the threshold is different. A person can qualify as "poor" and yet afford to put forward a middle class lifestyle (extremely expensive toys, unneccessary cell phones, designer clothes, and high-end sneakers). I believe they can afford to do this because their "necessities" are being paid for by the government leaving them greater discretionary income.

Quote:
Kids that receive a free or reduced lunch have parents that completed an application which shows their income is below a certain level. Period.
Yes their income is less than mine, but my salary is greatly reduced by the amount of money I spend to feed my kids. They don't have that burden. My salary is greatly reduced by the amount I spend on daycare. They don't have that burden. Their "take home" is unburdened by the many things they recieve at no cost, and their measly income is untouched by income tax. A person making only $25,000 a year and taking advantage of every program could very likely put themselves on par with my $45,000 income. But I pay for them.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-03-10 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 12:35 PM   #81

How the hell are you spending $20,000 a year on food.
Old 12-03-10, 01:18 PM   #82
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
As a member of the school board I'm sure you'll be hearing about this bill, Dave. The National School Board Assc., National School Admin. Assc. and a few others opposed it because it imposes unfunded mandates and other regulations. Currently the feds control most lunch programs by regulating what meals are eligible for federal reimbursement. The bill, about to be a new law, empowers the Dept. of Agriculture to regulate all food sold on school grounds with the "possible, limited exemptions" for fundraiser sales.

Here's the summary: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...:@@@D&summ2=m&
Yeah, I was just at a conference on and they covered this. What most of them fail to understand is what this does to very small schools (under 500 student population). The rules are made so that if you have school lunch that is subsidized by the feds, you must also have a breakfast program. This new deal will work the same I'm sure. My school is big enough to be okay, but I have seen 2 schools in my county quit offering lunch programs because they were forced to serve breakfast, which fewer kids sign up for, so the overhead of cooks, etc. was draining the program. If you have 10 kids get breakfast and you are reimbursed $2 each, after you pay the cooks, etc. and pay for the food, you are losing a fair amount. So now they don't offer lunch either. They'd like to, but they can't afford to.

It's just another example of "What works for Chicago will work for Walnut Grove."
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-03-10, 05:00 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How the hell are you spending $20,000 a year on food.
I spend $10,000 a year on child care. Good daycare ain't cheap. Of course if you're on the dole it's free (meaning people like me pay for you).

$100 to $150 a week on food adds up to $7,500 a year. A trip to the grocery store for a family of 4 is easily $100 a week. Of course it's cheaper if you buy shit food, but I try to eat well.
Old 12-22-10, 02:17 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Of course it's cheaper if you buy shit food
Old 12-22-10, 02:19 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/cbs-...cision-points/

CBS Airs Fake George W. Bush Cover Mocking ‘Decision Points’

December 22, 2010

When CBS News aired a special on book covers this past Sunday, not many took notice. That is until George W. Bush’s new book “Decision Points” popped up on the screen. That’s because the cover the network showed was not only the wrong one, but it was also mocking the former president.

The cover is supposed to look like this:

Simple. Harmless. But that’s not what aired. Here’s the cover that flashed across the screen:

Yes, you’re reading that right. CBS aired a Bush book cover that says, “Desision Points: How I Managed to Go Eight Years without Making One Good Decision.” CBS has since backpedaled, saying it was an unintentional mistake:

“Good catch: it’s a mistake no one could see because you’d have to freeze the frame to notice it. Another cautionary tale about the risks of the internet age – clearly, we have to be more careful when downloading material.”

According to Newsday, a production assistant made the mistake because of deadline pressure and pulled the image off the internet. The picture seems to have originated on the satirical website “Drudge Retort,” although some outlets have confused it as originating from the the actual website Drudge Report.

CBS has since removed the video showing the gaffe.
Old 12-22-10, 04:30 PM   #86

I'd give CBS a pass on that. Mistakes happen.

A couple days ago Fox & Friends had Elie Wiesel on the show. I guess they were trying to decide between "Holocaust Survivor" or "Nobel Prize Winner". This is what they ended up with:

Old 01-09-11, 11:38 PM   #87

New York Times Editorial on Fort Hood Massacre (Nov 6, 2009)

Quote:
In the aftermath of this unforgivable attack, it will be important to avoid drawing prejudicial conclusions from the fact that Major Hasan is an American Muslim whose parents came from the Middle East.

President Obama was right when he told Americans, “we don’t know all the answers yet” and cautioned everyone against “jumping to conclusions.”

Unverified reports, some from his family members, suggest that Major Hasan complained of harassment by fellow soldiers for being a Muslim, that he hoped to get out of a deployment to Afghanistan, that he sought a discharge from the Army and that he opposed the American military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. There were reports that some soldiers said they had heard him shout “God is Great” in Arabic before he started firing. But until investigations are complete, no one can begin to imagine what could possibly have motivated this latest appalling rampage.

There may never be an explanation. And, certainly, there can never be a justification.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/07/opinion/07sat1.html
New York Times Editorial on Shooting in Arizona (Jan 9, 2011):

Quote:
It is facile and mistaken to attribute this particular madman’s act directly to Republicans or Tea Party members. But it is legitimate to hold Republicans and particularly their most virulent supporters in the media responsible for the gale of anger that has produced the vast majority of these threats, setting the nation on edge. Many on the right have exploited the arguments of division, reaping political power by demonizing immigrants, or welfare recipients, or bureaucrats. They seem to have persuaded many Americans that the government is not just misguided, but the enemy of the people.

That whirlwind has touched down most forcefully in Arizona, which Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik described after the shooting as the capital of “the anger, the hatred and the bigotry that goes on in this country.” Anti-immigrant sentiment in the state, firmly opposed by Ms. Giffords, has reached the point where Latino studies programs that advocate ethnic solidarity have actually been made illegal.

Its gun laws are among the most lenient, allowing even a disturbed man like Mr. Loughner to buy a pistol and carry it concealed without a special permit. That was before the Tucson rampage. Now, having seen first hand the horror of political violence, Arizona should lead the nation in quieting the voices of intolerance, demanding an end to the temptations of bloodshed, and imposing sensible controls on its instruments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/op...10mon1.html?hp
Old 01-10-11, 07:51 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post

The NY Times is inconsistently consistent.
Old 01-12-11, 08:34 AM   #89

LA Times headline: "Loughner's ramblings appear rooted in far right"

And in small print: "But he also appears to have been influenced by the far left."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7697607.story
Old 01-12-11, 11:43 AM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the Right/Left political spectrum is more like a circle than a straight line, the farther you go in one direction, the closer you come to the other side. So someone who's extreme on one end isn't too far off from the extreme on the other end:

Spoiler:
Old 01-12-11, 12:08 PM   #91

Here's a Newsweek article with the following headline accompanied by a picture of Jared Loughner and his home:

"The Missed Warning Signs
A 2009 study warned that the rise of right-wing extremism could spur violent attacks. But the report was attacked by Republicans, including now-Speaker John Boehner."

In the last paragraph they reveal:

Quote:
While discussion has swirled around possible ties between accused gunman Jared Loughner and right-wing extremists, DHS on Monday said department officials “have not established any such possible link.”
http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/11/h...extremism.html
Old 01-12-11, 01:31 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Is this bias or the need to sensationalize things to get eyeballs on a website?
Old 01-12-11, 03:52 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post

Oh noes, two entirely different situations are being treated differently.
Old 01-12-11, 03:59 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Oh noes, two entirely different situations are being treated differently.
Hint: both were mass shootings. Or are you saying that Colonel Hassan's was different because he had twice Loughner's kill count?

Or is it because Hassan is a Muslim and must be protected from anything that might be considered by fools to be racist?
Old 03-04-11, 08:24 AM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

Friggin' Fox. Why do they keep doing this stuff? Bias, perhaps?

Quote:
Attention Fox News: Palm Trees Don’t Grow in Wisconsin

On Monday, Fox News’ “the O’Reilly Factor” broadcast a segment about the workers’ rights demonstrations in Madison, Wisconsin, that used a level of paranoia and falsities seemingly inspired by the John Birch Society. O’Reilly asked correspondent Mike Tobin if the protesters were “professional leftists” or just normal people. Fox News then played b-roll of a demonstration getting ugly — that clearly wasn’t a demonstration in Wisconsin. How do we know? There were palm trees in the background. Note to Fox: Palm trees don’t grow in Wisconsin.

Best of all, Fox used classic Orwellian language to defend its use of the palm-tree b-roll: The network claimed on www.Mediaite.com that “O’Reilly clearly identified the videos as collectively coming from ‘all over the country’ (and not Wisconsin).” Reporter Mike Tobin also lied that he was punched by a protester on Friday. The truth is he was merely patted on the shoulder. See for yourself. “Fair and Balanced” yeah right.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 03-04-11, 02:13 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone point out the "Orwellian language" used?

Mediate has the full segment here, which the clip above selectively edits. The segment starts with O'Reilly talking about union protest from across the country and then cuts to the footage labeled "union protests" in the clip above with full sound. After the footage is done, they go back to O'Reilly who mentions the media's treatment of the union protests vs the Tea Party protests then brings in Tobin and after some Wisconsin footage they replay the footage as b-roll under the interview.

I think it's fair to criticize O'Reilly for trying to link the Madison protests with more violent footage, but he didn't lie or try to fool the viewer into thinking the footage was from Madison.
Old 03-04-11, 02:37 PM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Can someone point out the "Orwellian language" used?

Mediate has the full segment here, which the clip above selectively edits. The segment starts with O'Reilly talking about union protest from across the country and then cuts to the footage labeled "union protests" in the clip above with full sound. After the footage is done, they go back to O'Reilly who mentions the media's treatment of the union protests vs the Tea Party protests then brings in Tobin and after some Wisconsin footage they replay the footage as b-roll under the interview.

I think it's fair to criticize O'Reilly for trying to link the Madison protests with more violent footage, but he didn't lie or try to fool the viewer into thinking the footage was from Madison.
Shhh, the people at "the uptake.org" have to feed their children too.

When will all these idiots (on both sides) shut up? Their constant comparing of everything is making my head spin. They can't let a fucking thought out of their mouths without comparing it with their foes. Just say your fucking piece and be done with it.
Old 03-04-11, 02:39 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Shhh, the people at "the uptake.org" have to feed their children too.
Don't forget the Colbert Report...

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Wisconsin Prank Call Bill
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

Let's see, we'll envelop some angry union guys in coverage of the Wisconsin protests and all of our viewers will surely, surely be able to discern what they are seeing.

This is the best part. When posters defend Fox's blatant bias. Carry on.

Old 03-04-11, 03:13 PM   #99

I believe Media Matters calls that "Breitbarting":

"an eponym used to describe 'intentionally taking a statement out of context for political ends'."

Quote:
No, Fox News Did Not Lie With “Wisconsin Palm Tree” Violent Protest Video

The Internet is abuzz this morning with a story that Fox News has “lied” in showing a video of an angry union protester from California while claiming its from Wisconsin. The “Palm Tree lie” (described as such because the tropical trees in the background of the protest video are used as proof of the deception) was the top two stories on Reddit’s Politics board this morning. They needn’t have tried so hard. While, in the 43-second clip that’s being linked to on YouTube, it does look like Fox News lied, but watching the entire segment for context makes it clear that they did not.

The segment in question occurred during The O’Reilly Factor as Bill O’Reilly was discussing the anger in the union protests. At the top of the piece, he rolled footage of a number of the “union thug” videos that have become so popular on Right Wing news sites in the past few weeks. O’Reilly clearly identified the videos as collectively coming from “all over the country.” As many shows do, this B-roll footage was replayed again during the rest of the segment, including during an interview with Mike Tobin, Fox News’ reporter who’s been on the ground in Wisconsin.

Here’s where the problem occurred. Tobin was discussing Wisconsin (since that where he’s been) while the general footage played in the background. Taken out of context, these few seconds would seem deceptive. But, if you’d already seen the full segment, you’d recognize what the footage was (besides, this same clip has aired on other Fox News programs like Glenn Beck and been identified as coming from California). Further, the protest footage from Wisconsin is clearly labeled “Madison” as well as date and time stamped, while the “palm tree footage” is labeled “Union Protests.” Confusing? Not really, though if one were to simply see the 43-second clip on YouTube, one could reasonably raise their eyebrows. A reminder of the importance of context.

Now, as much as O’Reilly wants to talk about how there are a bunch of “pro-union” guys on the network, this segment was clearly anti-union. Why else have a set series of footage showing just the clips of angry protesters pushing people and then get Tobin to talk about how the protesters attacked him? However, filtering a news story through an opinion during a show that is readily identified as an “opinion show” isn’t unethical. You can disagree with the Factor’s slant and how they presented it but, no, the show did not lie.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/no-fox-ne...protest-video/
Here's the full, unedited video:

Old 03-04-11, 03:21 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Dude, you are about an hour late with that. Do you all read the same wingnut blogs? The full clip adds nothing to the "context."