Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-24-10, 08:49 PM   #51
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Don't forget GOLD! It's increased in value five bajillion percent in the last five years, which means NOW is the best time to buy! GOLD!
Featuring the "yeah, I like apples" actor from Good Will Hunting no less.

Old 11-29-10, 08:39 PM   #52
TheBigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New York Times on the Climategate memos:

Quote:
“The documents appear to have been acquired illegally and contain all manner of private information and statements that were never intended for the public eye, so they won’t be posted here.” Andrew Revkin, Environment Editor, New York Times Nov 20, 2009.
New York Times on the Wikileaks memos:

Quote:
“The articles published today and in coming days are based on thousands of United States embassy cables, the daily reports from the field intended for the eyes of senior policy makers in Washington. The New York Times and a number of publications in Europe were given access to the material several weeks ago and agreed to begin publication of articles based on the cables online on Sunday. The Times believes that the documents serve an important public interest, illuminating the goals, successes, compromises and frustrations of American diplomacy in a way that other accounts cannot match.” New York Times editorial 29/11/2010
New motto for the NYT: "All the news that fits our ideology."
Old 11-29-10, 10:17 PM   #53
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
New York Times on the Climategate memos:

New York Times on the Wikileaks memos:

New motto for the NYT: "All the news that fits our ideology."
Cross reference here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10516857-post292.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10516863-post293.html
Old 12-01-10, 10:56 PM   #54
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This article is great. Link
Apparently by blocking a nutrition bill that is part of Michelle Obama's fight against childhood obesity the GOP "blocked legislation to feed school meals to thousands more hungry children."

I'd like to know, how many of those thousands of hungry kids are fatties?
Old 12-02-10, 08:09 AM   #55
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Don't forget Patrick Cox of Taxmasters, who always very carefully angles his head and body to the camera:

Those are the funniest commercials. What's on the other side of that guy's head that he's hiding. We know he's hiding his triple chin under that beard.
Old 12-02-10, 08:12 AM   #56
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
This article is great. Link
Apparently by blocking a nutrition bill that is part of Michelle Obama's fight against childhood obesity the GOP "blocked legislation to feed school meals to thousands more hungry children."

I'd like to know, how many of those thousands of hungry kids are fatties?

Quote:
The bill would provide money to serve more than 20 million additional after-school meals annually to children in all 50 states. Many of those children now only receive after-school snacks. It would also increase the number of children eligible for school meals programs by at least 115,000, using Medicaid and census data to identify them.
Old 12-02-10, 08:48 AM   #57
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Stupid hungry kids. 18 million of those meals would have one bite out of them and end up in the trash. When I was a kid we killed our food on the way to school, 3 miles in the snow with a gun at our side. Nobody starved to death.

http://savejace.info/
Old 12-02-10, 09:10 AM   #58
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Quote:
The bill would provide money to serve more than 20 million additional after-school meals annually to children in all 50 states. Many of those children now only receive after-school snacks. It would also increase the number of children eligible for school meals programs by at least 115,000, using Medicaid and census data to identify them.
Why exactly should schools be providing dinner for kids? If the kids are from poor families, isn't that what food stamps are for?

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 12-02-10, 09:27 AM   #59
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

Because some of those parents don't spend the food stamps on the kids?
Old 12-02-10, 09:52 AM   #60
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Give me Tater Tots or give me death!
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-02-10, 10:23 AM   #61
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Because some of those parents don't spend the food stamps on the kids?
Shouldn’t that be an indictment of the food stamp program more than an impetus to expand another program?

Old 12-02-10, 10:29 AM   #62
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Shouldn’t that be an indictment of the food stamp program more than an impetus to expand another program?
eh. its easier to throw more money at it
Old 12-02-10, 10:35 AM   #63
Hank Ringworm
Needs to provide a working email

It'd be much easier if the Fed just started printing money on sheets of a high-protein, wafer-like substance.
Old 12-02-10, 10:42 AM   #64
Mabuse
DVD Talk Limited Edition

School lunches...don't get me started. If people can't feed their kids they need to take a long hard look in the mirror. That should be your number one priority as a parent. Before feeding yourself, before having a roof over your head, anything. If you can't do that, maybe you should consider adoption, or some fucking birth control.

Recieving school lunches fucks these kid's heads up. They're 6 years old and they're already recieving hand outs. They'll never recover.

And the government food that our tax dollars pay to shovel into these kids is pure poison. They'd be better off without it.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-22-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 11:48 AM   #65
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

"Sorry you've got rickets, Billy, but maybe your dad should take a long hard look in the mirror. Now get the hell off school property."
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 12-02-10, 11:58 AM   #66
Nausicaa
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Recieving school lunches fucks these kid's heads up. Their 6 years old and they're already recieving hand outs. They'll never recover.
Old 12-02-10, 12:06 PM   #67
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
"Sorry you've got rickets, Billy, but maybe your dad should take a long hard look in the mirror. Now get the hell off school property."
I think 2 meals + afternoon snack is more than enough for schools to provide children. I know it sucks, but children often suffer for the idiocy and selfishness of their parents. Should we have cops walk in my neighborhood and hand out vitamins to the toddler's downing mountain dew because their parents either don't know enough about nutrition or don't care enough about their kids to make them drink water?

Old 12-02-10, 12:09 PM   #68
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I think 2 meals + afternoon snack is more than enough for schools to provide children. I know it sucks, but children often suffer for the idiocy and selfishness of their parents. Should we have cops walk in my neighborhood and hand out vitamins to the toddler's downing mountain dew because their parents either don't know enough about nutrition or don't care enough about their kids to make them drink water?
I'm sure we can hire some college kids to do it, as cops are quite expensive to hire due to their overtime rules.
Old 12-02-10, 12:10 PM   #69
Groucho

There's a college kid in my neighborhood that's known to sell "vitamins".

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 12-02-10, 02:24 PM   #70
Mabuse
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry bleeding hearts, my mind is made up on this issue. My wife teaches in a title 1 school here in California, which means >75% of students are on free or reduced lunch. But all her students have cel phones and xBoxes and new sneakers. The families have excessive discretionary income because they don't have to pay to feed their kids. Meanwhile I pay to feed my kid and I pay my taxes that feed their kids.

The net effect of feeding the poor is that it frees up their discretionary income to spend on foolish things that keep them poor.

And the government over spends on poor quality food and most of it ends up in the trash.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-02-10 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 05:58 PM   #71
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It increases the number of school meals by 20 million annually. Plus another 60ish million, if the 115K estimated eligible but unenrolled students get 3 meals, 180 days a year. Putting the average inflation adjusted cost of a meal at $2.50 times 80 million puts the total cost around $2 billion.

So the anti-hunger portion of the bill costs $2 billion and yet the bill cuts $2.2 billion from the food stamp program to help pay for the $4.5 billion total cost.

So is it really an anti-hunger bill, which the article used to bash the GOP, or is it an anti-obesity bill, which the article used to praise Michelle?

PS. It passed and is on it's way to the WH.
Old 12-02-10, 08:01 PM   #72
TheBigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-02-10, 10:41 PM   #73
koops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Sorry bleeding hearts, my mind is made up on this issue. My wife teaches in a title 1 school here in California, which means >75% of students are on free or reduced lunch. But all her students have cel phones and xBoxes and new sneakers. The families have excessive discretionary income because they don't have to pay to feed their kids. Meanwhile I pay to feed my kid and I pay my taxes that feed their kids.

The net effect of feeding the poor is that it frees up their discretionary income to spend on foolish things that keep them poor.

And the government over spends on poor quality food and most of it ends up in the trash.
I second that as a high school teacher in CA. My school has 80% of the students on the free/reduced lunch program. The students dump anything "healthy" and then go home and play Call of Duty on Xbox live with their friends..... does not make sense to me.
Old 12-02-10, 11:33 PM   #74
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I thought all kids were obese.

Is this like the "global warming/coming ice age" thing where we just flip between the two extremes so that there is a lot of sympathy over an imagined problem?

Especially when we are talking about an after school meal instead of an after school snack?

Show me the data on malnurished youth in America. I've seen the data on obesity.

Or do we screen those that get the after school meal and tell the fatties they have to wait until the before school breakfast to eat?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 12-03-10, 02:01 AM   #75
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a member of the school board I'm sure you'll be hearing about this bill, Dave. The National School Board Assc., National School Admin. Assc. and a few others opposed it because it imposes unfunded mandates and other regulations. Currently the feds control most lunch programs by regulating what meals are eligible for federal reimbursement. The bill, about to be a new law, empowers the Dept. of Agriculture to regulate all food sold on school grounds with the "possible, limited exemptions" for fundraiser sales.

Here's the summary: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...:@@@D&summ2=m&