Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-11-17, 01:43 PM   #2701
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

This professional photographer says CBS used color correction to make Steve Bannon look sick.

I'm no expert on the subject of color correction, but I do know a little bit about it, and it seems to me that his evidence is pretty good.

I know there are others here who have better familiarity and understanding of color correction than what I possess. What do you (or anyone else) think of this?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...ad-60-minutes/

Photographer Explains How CBS Uses Color Adjustments To Make Steve Bannon ‘Look Bad’ On 60 Minutes

September 10, 2017

Following Steve Bannon’s highly anticipated interview with Charlie Rose on 60 Minutes Sunday night, professional photographer Peter Duke published a video explainer on how CBS may have used color adjustments to make the Breitbart News boss “look bad” on television.

“It seems like 60 minutes would like you to listen less and look more at Steve Bannon. By subtly tweaking the color of the video, they make him look like a bleary-eyed drunk. I show you how they did it,” writes Duke on the video’s YouTube page.

In the video, Duke explains how CBS color adjusted Bannon’s shots to make his eyes and lips red by increasing the level of saturation. This results in curtains that are a brighter orange behind Bannon than they are in Charlie Rose’s shot. Rose’s shot was made “cooler,” to make the host’s make-up more subtle.

Duke then adjusted the interview’s lighting, removing Bannon’s redness and Rose’s “coolness.”

The result is a natural looking Bannon.

Below is a transcript of Peter Duke’s video:

DUKE: I wanted to talk a little bit today about color correction and grading, and how it can be used to make people look better or worse on television. This is a still frame of Steve Bannon from the 60 Minutes interview that’s going to run tonight. And the first things that I noticed was that there were red circles around his eyes and his lips looked cherry red. And I also noticed the curtains in the background looked really orange.

Now I’ve met Steve Bannon and I know what he looks like. He’s Irish and he does kinda have paper skin. But, he doesn’t have pronounced red circles around his eyes. That’s not who he is in real life. So I started comparing the two shots of Charlie Rose and Steve Bannon to see what kind of differences I could find, and it was very interesting. The first thing that you need to take a look at is the coloring saturation. Those drapes in the Breitbart Embassy are actually the same color. Now the light lighting them might be slightly closer or farther away, which accounts for the brightness, but they are the same color. And you can see from these two shots that they are defiantly not the same color.

If you take a look at Charlie Rose’s shirt, it’s about 13 unit of blue from neutral, which means that they’ve graded it into a cooler shot. That does a couple of things. It makes his make-up look less clownish and it also knocks down the contrast a little bit. So, I’m going to do the same thing to Steve. I’m going to make it a little bit bluer and I’m also going to lighten up the shadows a little bit. And Voila, the blood shot eyes are gone.

Now I’m going to do to Charlie what they did to Steve. I’m going to kick up the situation, the red, the orange, and i’m going to increase the contrast. So here are the two shots before and after, before and after. And here’s what the pictures would look like if they were graded similarly. Steve doesn’t have red circles under his eyes, Charlie’s make-up is subtle, can’t really tell he’s got it on, unless you’re looking. And Steve doesn’t look like the monster they want you to think that he is.
Old 09-11-17, 02:11 PM   #2702
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, maybe? But then almost Every. Single. Picture. Or video. I've seen of Banon, he looks sickly, with bad skin and red eyes. Did CBS make him look worse than they could have? Maybe. Did they make him look any worse than he's ever looked? Not really.
Old 09-11-17, 02:44 PM   #2703
Time Lord

From Wikipedia:

The Gateway Pundit (TGP) is a conservative political blog founded by Jim Hoft after the United States presidential election in 2004.[2][3][4][5] According to Hoft, it was founded to "speak the truth" and to "expose the wickedness of the left."[6] The Gateway Pundit is supportive of President Donald Trump and is allied with elements of the alt-right in American politics.[7][8][9][10] The blog is often linked to or cited by Fox News, Drudge Report, Sarah Palin and other well-known conservative people and sites.[11] The website is known for publishing falsehoods and spreading hoaxes.
Old 09-11-17, 03:03 PM   #2704
DVD Talk Legend

Compared to unaltered photos, Bannon looked digitally airbrushed in that CBS clip.
Old 09-11-17, 06:07 PM   #2705
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Sure, maybe? But then almost Every. Single. Picture. Or video. I've seen of Banon, he looks sickly, with bad skin and red eyes. Did CBS make him look worse than they could have? Maybe. Did they make him look any worse than he's ever looked? Not really.

OK. I can see that being a good explanation.
Old 09-11-17, 06:08 PM   #2706
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
From Wikipedia:

The Gateway Pundit (TGP) is a conservative political blog founded by Jim Hoft after the United States presidential election in 2004.[2][3][4][5] According to Hoft, it was founded to "speak the truth" and to "expose the wickedness of the left."[6] The Gateway Pundit is supportive of President Donald Trump and is allied with elements of the alt-right in American politics.[7][8][9][10] The blog is often linked to or cited by Fox News, Drudge Report, Sarah Palin and other well-known conservative people and sites.[11] The website is known for publishing falsehoods and spreading hoaxes.

So at worst, Gateway Pundit's description of the video is false.

But what about the video itself? That was not done by Gateway Pundit.
Old 09-12-17, 08:30 PM   #2707
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From the Washington Examiner
Quote:
The former Democratic presidential candidate described feeling confused about the New York Times’ decision to endorse her while also “beating me up about emails.”

“The Times, as usual, played an outsize role in shaping coverage of my emails throughout the election,” Clinton wrote. “To me, the paper’s approach felt schizophrenic.”

Clinton admitted her choice to set up a private email server was a “dumb decision” that helped cost her the election.

Clinton expressed outrage that the New York Times dedicated half of its front page to Comey’s Oct. 28 letter, because she argued the letter contained “zero evidence of wrongdoing and very few facts of any kind.”
Old 09-14-17, 03:22 PM   #2708
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-14-17, 08:23 PM   #2709
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hannity: "Tomi, we are not racist, nor is the president."

https://thinkprogress.org/hannity-to...-76d6f2cc2d0d/

Well...
Old 09-15-17, 09:20 AM   #2710
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like that if a woman wants to be on Fox, she had better bleach her hair and dress like a Mexican weather girl.
Old 09-15-17, 09:54 AM   #2711
DVD Talk Legend

I love the all-white panel Fox assembled to tackle the topic of racism
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-20-17, 09:13 PM   #2712
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lawrence O’Donnell had a really bad night (NSFW)

The Lawrence O'Donnell and Bill O'Reilly - MASH-UP
Old 09-20-17, 09:29 PM   #2713
DVD Talk Legend

That's so me. Only I'm in my office. Alone. I don't talk like that with people around. And it's usually me going nuts over problematic IT equipment, software failure, contracted labor disappointments, etc.
Old 09-20-17, 10:12 PM   #2714
DVD Talk Legend

One of the first lessons I learned in the news business was don’t say anything you don’t want others to hear when wearing a microphone. It’s amazing how many people missed that lesson.

The upside is sometimes, no matter what you brag about grabbing, you still get voted in as President.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-20-17, 10:29 PM   #2715
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
One of the first lessons I learned in the news business was don’t say anything you don’t want others to hear when wearing a microphone. It’s amazing how many people missed that lesson.

The upside is sometimes, no matter what you brag about grabbing, you still get voted in as President.
Well, there was a precedent in the 90's....
Old 09-20-17, 10:46 PM   #2716
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
I don't know if you intended that but
Old 09-21-17, 01:39 AM   #2717
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Stop hammering!" lol...nothing will ever beat "we'll do it live!"... but, my God it appears an anchor can just talk like this to their staff. I didn't hold much of a high opinion of Larry, and this certainly doesn't help.

Last edited by Artman; 09-21-17 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 05:59 AM   #2718
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
I don't know if you intended that but
Yep. It be a puny pun.

Now, excuse me. Sun's coming up, and I have to get busy replacing the Astro Turf in the truck bed.
Old 09-21-17, 07:35 AM   #2719
DVD Talk Legend

I'm disappointed. O'Donnell could have totally saved the night by screaming, "fuck it, we'll do it live" and turning it into an O'Reilly joke.
Old 09-21-17, 07:41 AM   #2720
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I don’t remember a hot mic incident with a President in the 90s. Which one are you referring to?
Old 09-21-17, 07:52 AM   #2721

Quote:
I don’t remember a hot mic incident with a President in the 90s. Which one are you referring to?
Probably something about a cigar.
Old 09-21-17, 08:03 AM   #2722
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I have to get busy replacing the Astro Turf in the truck bed.
With Astro Turf you really need an - El Camino

Old 09-21-17, 08:05 AM   #2723
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Probably something about a cigar.
Recorded on an open mic? I don’t remember that.
Old 09-21-17, 08:57 AM   #2724

Quote:
Recorded on an open mic? I don’t remember that.
I thought you were talking about actually grabbing p*ssy
Old 09-21-17, 10:04 AM   #2725
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I thought you were talking about actually grabbing p*ssy
I was talking about how shitty things said on an open mic are usually detrimental to those caught saying it. This was a direct response to someone caught saying shitty things on an open mic.

Donald Trump bragged about sexually assaulting women on an open mic and then became President of the United States, so it doesn't always hold true.

Not sure where you got lost.