Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-13-17, 12:27 AM   #1201
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: This is what the "War on Drugs" looks like

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Friday that he has directed his federal prosecutors to pursue the most severe penalties possible, including mandatory minimum sentences, in his first step toward a return to the war on drugs of the 1980s and 1990s that resulted in long sentences for many minority defendants and packed U.S. prisons.

Civil rights groups, Republican lawmakers and even the conservative Koch brothers issued swift condemnations of the policy, saying that Sessions was taking the nation backward. Aggressive prosecutors, however, are likely to embrace the measure as giving them more tools to do their jobs.

In the later years of the Obama administration, a bipartisan consensus emerged on Capitol Hill for sentencing reform legislation, which Sessions opposed and successfully worked to derail.

In a two-page memo to federal prosecutors across the country, Sessions overturned former attorney general Eric H. Holder’s sweeping criminal charging policy that instructed his prosecutors to avoid charging certain defendants with offenses that would trigger long mandatory minimum sentences. In its place, Sessions told his more than 5,000 assistant U.S. attorneys to charge defendants with the most serious crimes, carrying the toughest penalties.

In a speech Friday, Sessions said the move was meant to ensure that prosecutors would be “un-handcuffed and not micromanaged from Washington” as they worked to bring the most significant cases possible.
Sessions thinks violent crime is on the rise across America. He's wrong.

“We are returning to the enforcement of the laws as passed by Congress, plain and simple,” Sessions said. “If you are a drug trafficker, we will not look the other way, we will not be willfully blind to your misconduct.”

Holder, who launched his new charging orders in August 2013, called the Sessions policy “an unwise and ill-informed decision” that “will take this nation back to a discredited past.”

“The policy announced today is not tough on crime,” Holder said. “It is dumb on crime. It is an ideologically motivated, cookie-cutter approach that has only been proven to generate unfairly long sentences that are often applied indiscriminately and do little to achieve long-term public safety.”
More info here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e2f72#comments

Some blacks and Hispanics decided to vote for a president who wants to profit off of them in prison. Well done.
Old 05-13-17, 01:16 AM   #1202
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

This is about as stupid a policy as one can think of. The drug laws are far more harmful than the drugs.

I would like to mention that the Koch brothers are more libertarian than conservative. David Koch even ran for vice president as a Libertarian in 1980. But why would the Washington Post know that?

This position of the Koch brothers is about as shocking as creekdipper being anti-abortion.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 05-13-17, 05:29 AM   #1203
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been in law enforcment for over 23 years...14 years doing general Investigations, 3 years on a drug task force...and even I think this is a bad idea.

Just when I think this moronic administration can't get any worse...they surprise me.
Old 05-13-17, 09:19 AM   #1204
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
More info here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e2f72#comments

Some blacks and Hispanics decided to vote for a president who wants to profit off of them in prison. Well done.
Yeah but he's only putting in prison the "bad ones." Wait till one of the kids gets locked up for smoking a joint then you'll see them crying.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-13-17, 10:46 AM   #1205
DVD Talk Legend

This is merely taking off a band-aid that was covering the real problem: federally mandated minimum sentencing laws. Those are the cause of the "cookie-cutter approach". Congress should get rid of the minimum sentencing rules and let judges use their judgment. But that won't fly with law-and-order voters who think everyone, regardless of circumstance, should be punished as severely as possible.
Old 05-13-17, 10:47 AM   #1206
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I would like to mention that the Koch brothers are more libertarian than conservative. David Koch even ran for vice president as a Libertarian in 1980. But why would the Washington Post know that?
The same Libertarian Party that nominated Bob Barr for President?

The Kochs are typical corporate "libertarians" who go "Ra-ra! Free market capitalism!" and don't give a shit about actual liberty except for PR purposes.
Old 05-13-17, 11:13 AM   #1207
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I've been in law enforcment for over 23 years...14 years doing general Investigations, 3 years on a drug task force...and even I think this is a bad idea.

Just when I think this moronic administration can't get any worse...they surprise me.
I guess the private jails have vacancies. We've got to fill them up and create jobs in these small communities that have not much else besides prisons.
Old 05-13-17, 12:55 PM   #1208
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The same Libertarian Party that nominated Bob Barr for President?

The Kochs are typical corporate "libertarians" who go "Ra-ra! Free market capitalism!" and don't give a shit about actual liberty except for PR purposes.
And we have lift off for irrelevantly going way beyond a limited point raised.

I am not going to defend the Libertarian Party (which I have found lacking in many ways for more than 3 and a half decades) or the Koch brothers and that was not the point of my post. I made one simple point, that the Washington Post ("brilliant" investigative journalists as they are) should not have been surprised that the Koch brothers took a position (which has not ever been particularly popular) they have consistently held for decades.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 05-13-17, 04:54 PM   #1209
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I guess the private jails have vacancies. We've got to fill them up and create jobs in these small communities that have not much else besides prisons.
Prison jobs for coal miners.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-13-17, 10:18 PM   #1210
Admin-Self Banned

Glad we're reviving this failed policy.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 05-19-17, 05:36 PM   #1211
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tillerson might be one of the saner people in the administration. This seems to be a step in the right direction, but with Sessions being the A.G. of the United States...

Quote:
If there was a single theme to emerge from today's second go at joint Cabinet-level meetings with the Mexican government, it came across stunningly loud and clear: That the real heart of Mexico's ongoing, bloody battle with hard drug production, organized crime and murder lies firmly in the United States.

"We Americans must own this problem. It is ours," Secretary of State Rex Tillerson stated bluntly during a news conference. America's "pervasive demand" for illegal drugs was brought up repeatedly throughout the day, as if US officials could not strike the tone hard enough.

"We know what we own, and we as Americans must confront that we are the market. There is no other market for these activities. It is all coming here. But for us, Mexico wouldn't have the trans-criminal organized crime problem and the violence that they're suffering," Tillerson said. "We really have to own up to that."

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/18/po...ade/index.html
Old 06-10-17, 04:30 AM   #1212
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
About 900 students at a Georgia high school were groped by law enforcement officers during a drug sweep that was conducted without a warrant and didn’t yield any drugs, a federal lawsuit claims.

The suit was filed by a human rights group on behalf of students at Worth County High after an April 14 incident when about 40 officers showed up at the school without advance notice.

They put the school on lockdown for four hours and ordered many students into hallways, where they were forced to stand spread eagle, the lawsuit says.

According to the suit, officers cupped boys’ genitals, touched girls’ vaginas, reached inside bras, touched girls’ bare breasts, patted their buttocks and placed their hands inside students’ underwear. No drugs were found.

CNN was unable to contact Worth County Sheriff Jeff Hobby or his lawyer for comment. But the sheriff told CNN affiliate WALB the searches were legal — despite not having warrants or permission from parents or the school system — because school administrators were present during the pat-downs.

Hobby told WALB he decided to conduct the drug search after law enforcement arrested some juveniles in connection with burglaries in March and uncovered evidence of drug activity at the school.

He said he probably would not conduct a similar search again because of community response, WALB said.

http://ktla.com/2017/06/08/900-high-...-lawsuit-says/
Old 07-13-17, 02:51 PM   #1213
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Tuesday strongly advocated for the return of the Drug Abuse Resistance Education program, or D.A.R.E., the once popular anti-drug program that critics have called ineffective.

“D.A.R.E. is I think the best remembered anti-drug program today,” Sessions told attendees at D.A.R.E.’s training conference in Texas. “In recent years people have not paid much attention to that message but they are ready to hear it again.”

D.A.R.E., originally created in 1983 by the Los Angeles Police Department, placed uniformed police officers into classrooms around the nation to speak to children about the dangers of drug use and to tout the benefits of a drug-free life.

It was immensely popular and remained so for years, eventually reaching 75 percent of U.S. school districts and 52 countries around the world, according to the program’s website. Black T-shirts and bumper stickers with D.A.R.E. splashed across them in bright red lettering became iconic symbols of the 1980s and Nancy Reagan’s broader “Just Say No” to drugs campaign.

The program still operates in many schools, but experts have raised questions about its efficacy. Sessions, known for his support of tough drug policies, wants to bring it back to prominence.

“We know it worked before and we can make it work again,” Sessions said. “I fully understand the importance of what you do. I fully support it. I support you. The president supports you.”

In his remarks, Sessions indicated that the Department of Justice would continue to work with state and local authorities to fight back against drug cartels and traffickers, but supported enlisting D.A.R.E. to help prevent drug abuse in local communities.

“We need you,” Sessions said. “We really need D.A.R.E. to prevent new victims from being produced. We need your strong leadership to deny drug dealers new customers to help more and more Americans.”

But despite Sessions’ advocacy, research over several decades has found that the program didn’t actually make much of a difference in preventing drug use by youth.

“D.A.R.E. does not work to reduce substance use,” a 1998 National Institute of Justice report to Congress reads. “The programs’s content, teaching methods, and use of uniformed police officers rather than teachers might each explain its weak evaluations.”

A 2003 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office, which analyzed six long-term evaluations of D.A.R.E.’s elementary school curriculum at the time, found “no significant differences in illicit drug use” between students in the fifth or sixth grade who received the program and students who did not. GAO also reported that five of six evaluations reviewed found “no significant differences” between the students’ attitudes toward “illicit drug use and resistance to peer pressure.”

While two of the evaluations did find D.A.R.E. students showed “stronger negative attitudes about illicit drug use and improved social skills about illicit drug use” about a year after receiving the program, those effects diminished over time.

In 2014, Scientific American reviewed several studies of the D.A.R.E. program and reported that “the program does little or nothing to combat substance use in youth.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...s_queer-voices
Old 07-13-17, 03:51 PM   #1214
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some studies suggested that DARE actually caused kids to be MORE likely to smoke or drink.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...o-doesnt-work/
Old 07-13-17, 04:14 PM   #1215
DVD Talk Hero

God forbid they address actual addiction.
Old 07-13-17, 04:36 PM   #1216
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
God forbid they address actual addiction.
If they addressed actual addiction, they'd have to acknowledge the social elements that lead to addiction and that addiction has to be treated, not punished. Sessions would never go along with a program that doesn't punish individuals for their drug use.

And if you really want to get conspiratorial about it, the fact that DARE might make people more likely to do drugs may be exactly why they're bringing it back, because the government needs its prison-bound slave labor force.
Old 07-13-17, 06:42 PM   #1217
DVD Talk Legend

DARE became a direct sales marketing scam. How they going to revive it?http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...kind-scam.html