Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-10-10, 08:21 AM   #1
Ky-Fi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Polish President, other Polish officials die in plane crash....

Wow, very big blow to Poland.

Polish Lawmakers Regroup After President's Death in Crash

A government spokesman said a presidential election was to be scheduled to find a replacement to Bronislaw Kaczynski, as the Polish government was scheduled to hold an emergency meeting in Warsaw early Saturday afternoon.

Bronislaw Komorowski, head of the Polish lower house, or Sejm, will take over presidential duties in line with the constitution after President Lech Kaczynski died in a plane crash Saturday.

"Bronislaw Komorowski, the Marshal of the Sejm, is on his way to Warsaw from (the northern city of) Gdansk, where he was on Saturday morning," his office announced.

Kaczynski and other Polish officials died as their plane crashed during a landing in the western Russian city of Smolensk on Saturday morning.

They were due to attend ceremonies marking the 70th anniversary of the WWII Soviet slaughter of 22,000 Polish officers in the nearby Katyn Forest and elsewhere in Russia and Ukraine.

A government spokesman told Reuters on Saturday that a presidential election was to be scheduled to find a replacement to Kaczynski, as the Polish government was scheduled to hold an emergency meeting in Warsaw early Saturday afternoon.

Polish President Lech Kaczynski and some of the country's highest military, civilian leaders are among 96 killed after plane crashes while landing in Russia.

Komorowski, a 57-year-old former anti-communist dissident from an aristocratic family, was the official candidate of the liberal Civic Platform (PO) for presidential elections scheduled for autumn.

He was expected to take on Kaczynski, representing the conservative right wing, who however had not officially announced his candidacy.

Prime Minister Donald Tusk and other government ministers were on their way to the Polish capital, he added.

The developments came as the country's former president, Lech Walesa, said the death of Kaczynski and the other passengers on the plane was "an inconceivable tragedy."

"Jesus, Holy Mary, it's an inconceivable tragedy, an inconceivable disaster," he cried after learning Kaczynski died during the crash.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04...s-death-crash/
Old 04-10-10, 10:16 AM   #2
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Polish President, other Polish officials die in plane crash....

Hard to even imagine...

http://savejace.info/
Old 04-10-10, 10:41 AM   #3
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

The world reacts.
Quote:
World leaders pay tribute to Polish leader
April 10, 2010 10:24 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- World leaders, agencies and officials mourned the death of Polish president Lech Kaczynski who was killed in a plane crash early Saturday.

U.S. President Barack Obama: "Today, I called Polish Prime Minister Tusk to express Michelle's and my deepest condolences to the people of Poland on the tragic deaths this morning of President Lech Kaczynski, First Lady Maria Kaczynski, and all who were traveling with them to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Katyn massacre.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Kaczynski family, the loved ones of those killed in this tragic plane crash, and the Polish nation. Today's loss is devastating to Poland, to the United States, and to the world. President Kaczynski was a distinguished statesman who played a key role in the Solidarity movement, and he was widely admired in the United States as a leader dedicated to advancing freedom and human dignity."

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev: The Russian president offered his condolences to Polish Parliament Speaker Bronislaw Komorowski during a telephone conversation with him, Interfax reported.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown: "I was shocked and saddened at the death of Polish President Lech Kaczynski and his wife Maria. President Kaczynski was one of the defining actors in Poland's modern political history.

From his role in the Solidarity movement to his long and distinguished career in public service -- including as Justice Minister, Mayor of Warsaw, and most recently as President of Poland -- he will mourned across the world and remembered as a passionate patriot and democrat. My thoughts are with his family and countrymen at this most difficult of times."

French President Nicolas Sarkozy: The president said he learned of Kaczynski's death with "great emotion and a deep sadness" and expressed his sympathy to the families of the president and other victims.

Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: "We share in the profound grief of the Polish people over the loss of President Kaczynski, his wife and all of the members of the Polish delegation. I knew President Kaczynski as a Polish patriot, as a great friend of Israel and as a leader who was very active on behalf of his people and for advancing peace and prosperity in the world."

Kanat Saudabayev, chairman of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe: "I offer my deepest condolences to the Polish people and to the families of those killed in this tragic accident. Our hearts go out to you in this difficult time."

Afghan President Hamid Karzai: "The Polish president was a good ally and friend of Afghanistan in fighting against terrorists. The president expressed condolences on behalf of the Afghan people to the friend, families, soldiers and the Polish people."

British Queen Elizabeth II: "It is with the deepest sorrow that I have learnt of the death of President Lech Kaczynski and First Lady Madame Kaczynska. On this sad occasion.

"I recall President Kaczynski's long and distinguished public service and his role in the Solidarity movement. The deaths of many other of Poland's leading figures, including former President in Exile Kaczorowski, only serve to deepen this tragedy."

Clarence House (Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla): "The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall are shocked and deeply upset by the tragic death of Polish President Lech Kaczynski, Madame Kaczynski and many others at Smolensk airport this morning. As guests of The President and his wife only a few weeks ago, Their Royal Highnesses experienced at first hand their generous hospitality during what was a very memorable and enjoyable visit to Poland."

German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle: "We are deeply affected by the death of the Polish President and his wife, and probably members of the government. We are in deep compassion with the family members and all victims of this catastrophe. We are shocked by this news and full of sorrow. We mourn with the Polish people, our neighbours. We are losing personalities on which Europe could build, when it needed to.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon: "On behalf of the United Nations, the Secretary-General expresses his deep and heartfelt condolences to the people and Government of Poland and to the families of those who perished. The Secretary-General said President Kaczynski had served his country and people with distinction and conviction, and was deservedly respected internationally. That he died en route to an event marking a new level of reconciliation between Poland and Russia is particularly poignant."

The U.S. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley: "This is a horrible tragedy for Poland. We extend to the people of Poland our deepest condolences."
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ex.html?hpt=T1

Tragic day for Poland.
Old 04-10-10, 11:01 AM   #4
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Hard to know what to say.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 04-10-10, 11:16 AM   #5
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
On board were the army chief of staff, national bank president, deputy foreign minister, army chaplain, head of the National Security Office, deputy parliament speaker, civil rights commissioner and at least two presidential aides and three lawmakers, the Polish foreign ministry said.
Wow.

Old 04-10-10, 02:22 PM   #6
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

The thing I don't get is, how could they let like virtually every important member of the military and government on ONE plane?

As I understand it a big chunk of civilian and military leadership died on this one plane. One fell swoop.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 04-10-10, 02:55 PM   #7
X
Administrator

I don't even like it when top management of a company get on an elevator at the same time.
Old 04-10-10, 03:52 PM   #8
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't even imagine how this will effect the country or how this situation would effect any country if it happen to them. Insane.
Old 04-10-10, 04:00 PM   #9
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
The thing I don't get is, how could they let like virtually every important member of the military and government on ONE plane?

As I understand it a big chunk of civilian and military leadership died on this one plane. One fell swoop.
That was my second thought (the first being "Holy shit! This is terrible!").

You'd think by now most countries would understand the need to keep high level officials on separate transports.
Old 04-10-10, 04:07 PM   #10
Trout
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How long before the Soviets get blamed for this?
Old 04-10-10, 05:17 PM   #11
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

This doesn't sound like the entire leadership, but certainly a significant number of them.

I'd imagine any crash of Air Force One would have a profound number of other significant individuals involved as well.

Old 04-10-10, 06:26 PM   #12
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Kindda odd that I first read about this on a sports site:

"Polish Olympic Committee head Piotr Nurowski has died in the plane crash that killed President Lech Kaczynski. Nurowski was 64."
Old 04-10-10, 06:46 PM   #13
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
This doesn't sound like the entire leadership, but certainly a significant number of them.

I'd imagine any crash of Air Force One would have a profound number of other significant individuals involved as well.
This does make me wonder why Poland doesn't have a Vice Presidential office.
Old 04-10-10, 06:46 PM   #14
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post

It was for money saving reasons, according to the news I was watching.
Old 04-10-10, 07:28 PM   #15
Pharoh

Mildly fortunately for Poland and her people that the office of President of Poland is primarily ceremonial. The tragedy will have no significant impact on policy or governance.

The only issue is whether the crash will create sympathy for President Kaczynski's and his brother's party, which could impact Polish-Russian relations.

Sad day.
Old 04-10-10, 08:12 PM   #16
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

did they leave the screen door open?

too soon?
Old 04-11-10, 07:12 PM   #17
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

I blame the Soviets!
Old 04-12-10, 01:26 AM   #18
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
I blame the Soviets!
They were in a Soviet made Tu-154.

Here are the people that were on board:

President of the Republic of Poland and his wife
Head of Polandís London-based government-in-exile during the communist period
Head of Polish Land Forces
Chief of Staff
Minister at the Presidentís Chancellery
Head of Polish Navy
Polandís Ombudsman
Deputy Defence Minister
Deputy Foreign Minister
National Remembrance Institute head
Deputy Culture Minister
head of Polish Olympics Committee
Deputy Speaker of parliament
head of Polandís central bank
head of Kaczynskiís Chancellery
head of the National Security Bureau
Deputy Speaker of parliament
Presidentís Chancellery
former Solidarity activist
Minister and Kaczynskiís Chancellery
Senator

Here is the full list, with names. In spoilers due to it's length:
Spoiler:
Lech Kaczynski, President of the Republic of Poland
Maria Kaczynska, the presidentís wife
Ryszard Kaczorowski, head of Polandís London-based government-in-exile during the communist period
General Tadeusz Buk, Head of Polish Land Forces
Leszek Deptula, MP
Grzegorz Dolniak, MP
Katarzyna Doraczynska, Presidentís Chancellery
Janina Fetlinska, Senator
General Franciszek Gagor, Chief of Staff
Grazyna Gesicka, MP
Przemyslaw Gosiewski, MP
Mariusz Handzlik, Minister at the Presidentís Chancellery
Izabela Jaruga-Nowacka, MP
Sebastian Karpiniuk, MP
Admiral Andrzej Karweta, Head of Polish Navy