Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-11-10, 09:50 AM   #1
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Heroic NY legislator seeks to ban dangerous chemicals from restaurant

There is apparently a particular compound which chefs in New York (and elsewhere) have been using in their food preparation. The chemical has been proven to lead to increased rates of heart attacks and other adverse health effects. Even worse, the compound is made of two component parts -- one of which has been used as a chemical weapon and the other of which is highly reactive to the point where it can explode on contact with water!

Thankfully, New York state legislator Felix Ortiz is on the case

Quote:
Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban 'Absurd'
Updated: Thursday, 11 Mar 2010, 8:01 AM EST
Published : Wednesday, 10 Mar 2010, 7:36 PM EST

By ARUN KRISTIAN DAS / MyFox New York

MYFOXNY.COM - Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129 , states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz , D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

Nathan is part of the group My Food My Choice , which calls itself a coalition of chefs, restaurant owners, and consumers, called the proposed law "absurd" in a press release issued on its Facebook page.

Ortiz has said the salt ban would allow restaurant patrons to decide how salty they want their meals to be.

"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.

But many chefs and restaurant owners said they are tired of politicians dictating what they can serve and what people can eat. They have opposed the city's anti-sodium and anti-transfat campaigns.

"Chefs would be handcuffed in their food preparation, and many are already in open rebellion over this legislation," said Orit Sklar, of My Food My Choice. "Ortiz and fellow anti-salt zealot Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City seek to undermine the food and restaurant business in the entire state."

The American Heart Association encourages Americans to reduce their sodium intake and has advocated the reduction of sodium used by food manufacturers and restaurants by 50 percent over a 10-year period.
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...d-20100310-akd

Kidding aside, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

First, salt is in everything. You can't have any kind of baked good without salt. Pasta is out, too. Salt is used in the preparation of most meats. Raw vegetables may be the only option.

Second, salt is necessary to health. Our problem isn't that we get salt in our diet. We need salt in our diet. Our problem is that (some of us) get too much salt in our diet.

Third, there's probably more salt in most prepared foods (frozen and canned foods) than in anything you'd buy at most restaurants. If you're really trying to reduce salt consumption, start there.

Fourth, throughout my post, I've been refering to NaCl as salt. That's the way most people use the term salt, but technically speaking, salts are an entire class of ionic compounds. It's fine to be imprecise in a post to a message board, but if your statute bans "salt," you've arguably just banned a whole bunch of stuff besides NaCl.

Fifth, if Assemblyman Ortiz really wants to keep us safe, he should concentrate on the real menace -- dihydrogen monoxide!
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 03-11-10, 09:54 AM   #2
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Heroic NY legislator seeks to ban dangerous chemicals from restaurant

The Prequel: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/politics-wo...7894-salt.html

http://savejace.info/
Old 03-11-10, 10:12 AM   #3
wendersfan

I love the reference of Mayor Bloomberg as an 'anti-salt zealot.'
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 03-11-10, 10:41 AM   #4
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Do it for the children
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 03-11-10, 10:49 AM   #5
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

With Salt:

Without salt:
Old 03-11-10, 11:05 AM   #6
Ky-Fi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, salt is an important ingredient in lots of non-Western cuisines. I say this proposed law is nothing more than a xenophobic, racist, genocidal, intolerant HATE CRIME!!
Old 03-11-10, 11:17 AM   #7
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

For the people that oppose this bill ... if they changed it from a $1000 fine to a 18% tax, would that be enough to change your mind?
Old 03-11-10, 05:17 PM   #8
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Hopefully, Felix is paid a visit by:

"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-11-10, 05:41 PM   #9
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

And I was so hoping somebody was finally taking serious the threat that is dihydrogen monoxide.

The children. Someone must think of them!
Old 03-11-10, 08:53 PM   #10
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

But seriously, if this passes I think we need to write off New York.
Old 03-11-10, 08:58 PM   #11
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

first the trans-fats now the salt. where will it end?
Old 03-12-10, 07:29 AM   #12
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Good one Red Dog!
Old 03-12-10, 08:19 AM   #13
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
For the people that oppose this bill ... if they changed it from a $1000 fine to a 18% tax, would that be enough to change your mind?
How about disclosure as an alternative, maybe not precise data, but bands of salt content.

Seriously, humans need salt, but shouldn't overdose. Visitors staying in hotels and eatting in restaurants for a few days will turn into the creature in Red Dog's post. How can you ban something that has an RDA?

People die from overconsumption of dihydrogen monoxide. Shouldn't that be banned too?
Old 03-12-10, 08:28 AM   #14
Cheato
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is just a very small step in the right direction. What we really need is an official government-approved cookbook with all authorized dishes' recipes spelled out to the letter, and all restaurants must use them to prepare all meals. Then, all meals will come from the food distributors in boxes with the ingredients pre-measured and pre-packaged (in 100% recycled and recyclable materials, of course) to avoid any kind of mistakes in measurement. And the recipes and ingredients will all be prepared by the National Association of Wheat Growers. Oh, sorry, I meant the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Old 03-12-10, 09:00 AM   #15
classicman2
DVD Talk God

What percentage of the American people are salt sensitive?
Old 03-12-10, 09:36 AM   #16
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He can have my pepperoni pizza when he pries it from my cold, dead hands.
Old 03-12-10, 09:46 AM   #17
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
This is just a very small step in the right direction. What we really need is an official government-approved cookbook with all authorized dishes' recipes spelled out to the letter, and all restaurants must use them to prepare all meals. Then, all meals will come from the food distributors in boxes with the ingredients pre-measured and pre-packaged (in 100% recycled and recyclable materials, of course) to avoid any kind of mistakes in measurement. And the recipes and ingredients will all be prepared by the National Association of Wheat Growers. Oh, sorry, I meant the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Food cubes!
Old 03-12-10, 10:11 AM   #18
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Fifth, if Assemblyman Ortiz really wants to keep us safe, he should concentrate on the real menace -- dihydrogen monoxide!
I've been shouting this from the rooftops for years. Do you know how many people - many of them children - are killed by dihydrogen monoxide each year? Hundreds! Yet we do nothing to ban this menace.

Old 03-12-10, 11:27 AM   #19
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheato View Post

will you be allowed to eat more than one portion at a time? for some reason i eat more than anyone i know
Old 03-12-10, 06:34 PM   #20
Superboy
Suspended

Wow, it's unbelievable how ignorant people are regarding how much "salt" is in their food.

A lot of the salt in food is to create chemical reaction necessary for cooking, not because it needs to be seasoned.