Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-12-10, 08:40 PM   #1
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Congress may want to revolt against the President

At least according to Peggy Noonan:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...elowLEFTSecond

Quote:
The Off-Center President
Obama says he'd settle for a single term—and seems to mean it.

There is, I think, an amazing political fact right now that is hiding in plain sight and is rich with implications. It was there in President Obama's Jan. 25, pre-State of the Union interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer, who was pressing him about his political predicaments. "I'd rather be a really good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president," he said. "And I—and I believe that."

Now this is the sort of thing presidents say, and often believe they believe, but at the end of the day they all want two terms. Except that Mr. Obama shows every sign of meaning it, and if he does, it explains a lot about his recent decisions and actions.

A week after the Sawyer interview, the president had a stunning and revealing exchange with Sen. Blanche Lincoln, the Arkansas Democrat likely to lose her 2010 re-election campaign. He was meeting with Senate Democrats to urge them to continue with his legislative agenda. Mrs. Lincoln took the opportunity to beseech him to change it. She urged him to distance his administration from "people who want extremes," and to find "common ground" with Republicans in producing legislation that would give those in business the "certainty" they need to create jobs.

While answering, Mr. Obama raised his voice slightly and quickened his cadence. "If the price of certainty is essentially for us to adopt the exact same proposals that were in place leading up to the biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression . . . the result is going to be the same. I don't know why we would expect a different outcome pursuing the exact same policy that got us in this fix in the first place." He continued: "If our response ends up being, you know . . . we don't want to stir things up here," then "I don't know why people would say, 'Boy, we really want to make sure those Democrats are in Washington fighting for us.'"

When I saw the videotape later, I wondered how the senator, now down by as much as 23 points in her bid for re-election, felt. Actually I wanted to ask, "Apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

The Washington Post's Charles Lane, one of the few journalists to note the exchange, said he found it revealing in two ways: First, the president equates becoming more centrist with becoming more like George W. Bush, and second, he apparently sees movement to the center as a political loser.

These are two surprising things to think, and they have contributed to our astonishing political moment, in which a popular young president who won by 9.5 million votes 15 months ago has seen support for his programs slip to the point that a Gallup poll this week found him running even with a nameless Republican in 2012.

His reaction to all this is striking. He doesn't seem a man at sea who's flailing and trying to grab any deck chair that floats by. He seems a man who is certain he is right, in the long term if not in the day-to-day. And if the cost of being right is a single term, then so be it. Which, again, is not how presidents usually think. And not how legislators, who live to be re-elected, want the president of their party to think.

This touches on the still-essential question that historians will write books about: How did the president lose the room? How did he lose popularity?

click link for rest, but later on...

But now it is 2010, and Mr. Bush is gone. Mr. Obama is left with America, and he does not, really, understand it. That is why he thinks moving to the center would be political death, when moving to the center and triangulating, as Bill Clinton did, might give him a new lease on life.

But there's something else that has led Mr. Obama to his falling poll numbers. When FDR followed the disaster that was Herbert Hoover, he took a new and different path. The government would now hold a new place in the daily American reality. When Ronald Reagan followed the disaster that was Jimmy Carter, he took a new and different path. The federal government would be pushed back from its intrusions on Americans. But when Barack Obama took over after the disaster that was George W. Bush, he did not, in terms of the most pressing domestic issue after unemployment, take a new and different path. He spent, just like Mr. Bush, only even more. It was as if he were saying, "You think Bush broke the bank? I'll show you what a broken bank looks like." This isn't a departure, it's a doubling down.
Old 02-12-10, 08:51 PM   #2
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Congress may want to revolt against the President

It's not the same reading it yourself vs. hearing it recited in a quivering voice from someone who sounds like she's about to burst into tears.
Old 02-12-10, 08:52 PM   #3
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Yeah - he'll settle for a single term. I don't think he consulted with his ego before he made that remark.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-12-10, 08:57 PM   #4
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yeah - he'll settle for a single term. I don't think he consulted with his ego before he made that remark.
Maybe he saw what a deep bench the Repubs have and wants to spare himself the embarrassment?
Old 02-12-10, 08:59 PM   #5
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork View Post
Maybe he saw what a deep bench the Repubs have and wants to spare himself the embarrassment?
Yup, with Sarah warming up to be the Republican's John Kerry.
Old 02-12-10, 10:52 PM   #6
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

I'm waiting for Obama to revolt against Congress and ask his Organizing For America squad to vote the folks out. Let's face it... Can't have change with the same old folks.

http://savejace.info/
Old 02-12-10, 11:02 PM   #7
Supermallet
Time Lord

He's already told Congress it's all their fault. Who is going to want to also be told it's their fault the next time Obama screws up?
Old 02-13-10, 02:08 AM   #8
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I don't think he can manage the idea of a good one term president anymore. He may have to settle for a mediocre one term president. And he should take that while the offer stands.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-14-10, 07:13 AM   #9
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Congress may want to revolt against the Prez?

Well, it'd be nice to see them actually decide to do something. Anything.

Given recent history, I doubt the Prez should be worried.
Old 02-14-10, 10:23 PM   #10
Goldblum
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[Dana Carvey as George H.W. Bush] "Don't wanna be a one-termer." [/Dana Carvey as George H.W. Bush]

Movies by the MINUTE
Old 02-15-10, 12:30 AM   #11
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Set in his ways and unwilling to change, absolutely sure he is right, even with the facts saying otherwise......isn't that what George W. Bush was accused of doing throughout his presidency? How is Obama any different?
Old 02-15-10, 01:57 AM   #12
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yup, with Sarah warming up to be the Republican's John Kerry.
The next president will be elected based on the economy. The last one wasn't elected based on what he was, but because he wasn't Bush or from his party. You don't end up with a President who previously hadn't finished his first term in the Senate because you have a deep bench. You end up with that president because of who he wasn't.

If Obama can't turn things around for the economy, that will be the same scenario. Same as Carter, same as Bush Sr. Economy is king and all other issues are reflected in it.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-15-10, 07:14 AM   #13
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
The next president will be elected based on the economy.
In other words, like every other president of the last century?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 02-15-10, 08:08 AM   #14
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

"It's the economy, stupid." That's as true today as it was in '92.

Old 02-15-10, 08:18 AM   #15
sracer
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
His ego could better handle not running for re-election than losing an election. There aren't enough dead people that can vote for him.

Besides, he has perfected the art of saying one thing but doing the complete opposite and getting away with it.
Old 02-15-10, 09:04 AM   #16
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Or 1932.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 02-15-10, 09:11 AM   #17
Groucho

I think we can all agree that Congress is revolting.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 02-15-10, 09:15 AM   #18
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I think we can all agree that Congress is revolting.
[Gallagher] And Congress is the opposite of progress! [/Gallagher]

Old 02-15-10, 09:38 AM   #19
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Or 1932.
Or the 1760's and 1770's.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 02-15-10, 09:52 AM   #20
FiveO
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

no kidding. This guys ego barely fits in the white house.

Sad thing is...when it comes to 2012...he'll say "I am a humble person and with that I hereby accept the democratic nomination".
Old 02-15-10, 10:19 AM   #21
slop101
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that almost every single president's 2nd term was worse and fraught with more problems than their 1st term, that might be a good idea.
Old 02-15-10, 06:52 PM   #22
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I see where Obama is going to side with the Repubs on the issue of off-shore drilling. I applaud him for that decision.

Now is he doing it because he really believes it's a necessary component to a realistic energy policy?

Or, is he doing it to appear to be bipartisan?

Or, is he doing it just to piss off the congressional Democratic leadership?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 02-16-10, 07:08 AM   #23
Burnt Thru
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To some extent he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he waters down his agenda by lurching towards the right then he's only interested in staying in power through re-election. But if he ignores calls for bipartisanship then he's abandoning his dem buddies and fueled by insufferable self-righteousness. Personally I think the only point of getting elected is to get things done, so using the office to remain in power as it's own end game is a waste of time (witness the witless Blair in my own country).
Old 02-16-10, 07:44 AM   #24
classicman2
DVD Talk God

To get things done you generally have to have some bipartanship - especially very important things.
Old 02-16-10, 09:12 AM   #25
JOE29
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I see where Obama is going to side with the Repubs on the issue of off-shore drilling. I applaud him for that decision.

Now is he doing it because he really believes it's a necessary component to a realistic energy policy?

Or, is he doing it to appear to be bipartisan?

Or, is he doing it just to piss off the congressional Democratic leadership?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I'd be skeptical about this. If this is true it could be a setup to where they want to drill, If they really go through with it.
All through the campaign Dems have been saying that there is no oil to drill for. If they pick a few spots where they know there's no oil and drill there the drilling fails to produce. That would only help the anti-drilling debate.
They'd come back and say, See there's no oil to drill for so why do it at all?
Sponsored Links