Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 01-25-10, 08:14 AM   #1
jeffbase34
DVD Talk Special Edition

Time Magazine Totally Disses Obama!!

You know it's bad for the Democrats when ultra-liberal Time magazine takes a shot at the president.

At least, that's how this week's magazine cover came off to me. I see an an indecisive president who doesn't have a clue how to fix our problems. His first year has been an utter failure. The big stimulus bill only served to sink our country more in debt. It did not create jobs or even stop the fear that our economy is sinking further into oblivion.

Photobucket
Old 01-25-10, 08:22 AM   #2
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Time Magazine Totally Disses Obama!!

OMG guys!!!
Old 01-25-10, 08:30 AM   #3
Groucho

"Ultra-liberal"

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 01-25-10, 08:48 AM   #4
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, diss.

I think do think it's safe to say that Obama is taking his shots from all around right now. My hope is that the Senate's fall of a supermajority will work in Obama's true favor rather than against him. Now he can focus on certain sides of his campaign promises that were clouded by the big policy promises. Yeah, it should be the other way around but I'm not a fan of many of his big policies so I'll hope he can deliver on some of the other stuff.

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 01-25-10, 10:00 AM   #5
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase34 View Post
You know it's bad for the Democrats when ultra-liberal Time magazine takes a shot at the president.

At least, that's how this week's magazine cover came off to me. I see an an indecisive president who doesn't have a clue how to fix our problems. His first year has been an utter failure. The big stimulus bill only served to sink our country more in debt. It did not create jobs or even stop the fear that our economy is sinking further into oblivion.
First of all, I don't thin the cover "disses" the President at all.

If the solutions are so obvious, would you mind sharing them? I'm highly amused at the folks who believe the largest recession in our lifetimes can be magically cured overnight.
Old 01-25-10, 10:39 AM   #6
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
If the solutions are so obvious, would you mind sharing them? I'm highly amused at the folks who believe the largest recession in our lifetimes can be magically cured overnight.
Go back in time, take the 1.6T bailout and divert all of it into the ASCE's Infrastructure Rehabilitation plan
Old 01-25-10, 10:41 AM   #7
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Just look at that photo. President Obama's sitting with his left leg crossed over his right, indicating that he's trying to support the left over the right. But he's punching himself in the face with his right fist, demonstrating that the right is beating him. The photograph is in black and white, demonstrating how racially divisive he is. His chair is sitting on a glass floor -- you can tell by the reflections -- symbolizing the glass ceiling he used to keep Hillary out of the oval office. Under that is a carpet, proving that he wants to further his radical environmental agenda and make us all get rid of our cars and our pets. And the three biggest words on the cover (if you re-arrange them) are "Now what time?" proving that Obama is unable to read a clock, a simple skill most of us learned before the age of ten. Note how they rub it in by indicating the exact time the photo was taken right in the caption.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-25-10, 10:48 AM   #8
jeffbase34
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
First of all, I don't thin the cover "disses" the President at all.

It's simple. Look and see what fixed the Great Depression. Repeat. Problem Solved!
Old 01-25-10, 10:57 AM   #9
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I don't think it shows him as indecisive. He knows what he wants, he just isn't able to get it currently.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 01-25-10, 11:06 AM   #10
nemein

Quote:
It's simple. Look and see what fixed the Great Depression. Repeat. Problem Solved!
Have Germany start invading its neighbors and drag everyone into a world war... then have Japan sneak attack/bomb Pearl Harbor Don't think that's going to work this time.

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2444 days 11 hours 48 minutes
Old 01-25-10, 11:13 AM   #11
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Have Germany start invading its neighbors and drag everyone into a world war... then have Japan sneak attack/bomb Pearl Harbor Don't think that's going to work this time.
US GDP was already higher than pre-Great Depression levels before December 1941.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 01-25-10, 11:37 AM   #12
dx23
Banned

Did jeffbase took grundle's "How to make misleading titles" course?
Old 01-25-10, 11:39 AM   #13
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Sounds like someone isn't even willing to try.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 01-25-10, 11:42 AM   #14
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Sounds like someone isn't even willing to try.
It's just easier to be a naysayer.
Old 01-25-10, 11:51 AM   #15
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Spend tons of money that comes from a giant Ponzi scheme that will cause the country huge problems in the future?

Last edited by Jeremy517; 01-25-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 12:11 PM   #16
DonnachaOne
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: A place where they know how to pronounce "Donnacha" correctly

I wish someone dissed me with a great photo on the cover of a national magazine with a sympathetic article inside..
Old 01-25-10, 12:19 PM   #17
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

What's the white thing on his hand? Doesn't really look like a cigarette. Must be a shiny pen? Anyone have the actual magazine to see better detail?

- VinVega
Old 01-25-10, 12:23 PM   #18
Groucho

It's a micro-teleprompter.
Old 01-25-10, 12:27 PM   #19
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
That would be a great idea if only economist could agree about what exactly fixed the Great Depression.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 01-25-10, 12:32 PM   #20
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
I wish someone dissed me with a great photo on the cover of a national magazine with a sympathetic article inside..

- VinVega
Old 01-25-10, 12:40 PM   #21
wendersfan

"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 01-25-10, 12:41 PM   #22
jeffbase34
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
That would be a great idea if only economist could agree about what exactly fixed the Great Depression.
I do believe that the repeal of the GlassĖSteagall Act of 1933 is a main reason we got into this mess. Commercial and investment banking needs to be kept separate!
Old 01-25-10, 01:02 PM   #23
DonnachaOne
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: A place where they know how to pronounce "Donnacha" correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Awesome.
Old 01-25-10, 04:21 PM   #24
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
US GDP was already higher than pre-Great Depression levels before December 1941.
Of course you know that even though the US officially entered the war in Dec '41, domestic industrial mobilization began as early as 1939. The GDP had largely recovered by 1937, although unemployment remained high until 1940.
Old 01-25-10, 06:38 PM   #25
wm lopez
Suspended

Quote:

Photobucket
Glad to see someone other than me at DVDTALK posts this.
Sponsored Links