Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-10, 06:00 AM   #151
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Same Sex Marriage Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
another question:

when the "crime" of same-sex marriage occurs: who's the victim?
The same people who are victimized when polygamists & incestuous couples get married.

Sigh...I know. That's different...yada, yada, yada.

Doesn't change the logic, however.

Old 01-25-10, 06:06 AM   #152
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
You know, I might be crazy here, but I've taken a history course and a U.S. government course or two in my life and I don't recall one of the mandates of government being sponsoring human reproduction.
I don't recall one of the mandates of government being requiring every citizen to purchase health insurance, either, but evidently there is a supermajority of the Senate who feels that way & intend to enact their interpretation into federal law.

Correction...there USED to be a supermajority.

Old 01-25-10, 06:09 AM   #153
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I know you know it's not realistic, but you never know what kind of moran might be reading this thread (but not posting -- everyone who posts here is really, really, really smart).
That's "maroon", not "moran". Even Bugs knows that.

Old 01-25-10, 06:13 AM   #154
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Think of it this way -- if, instead of a ban on interracial marriage, suppose the laws had required interracial marriage. That is, black people were only allowed to marry white people and vice-versa.
In that case, the Jim Crow laws would be have been replaced by the Tiger Woods laws.

Old 01-25-10, 07:01 AM   #155
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
The same people who are victimized when polygamists & incestuous couples get married.
In other words, no one?

Old 01-25-10, 08:23 AM   #156
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
In other words, no one?

Old 01-25-10, 09:31 AM   #157
majorjoe23
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
That's "maroon", not "moran". Even Bugs knows that.

Old 01-26-10, 02:07 AM   #158
drak b

So wait… I’m looking at the bizarre fringe-worthy, odd celebrities they chose for the H8 campaign and I don’t quite get it. Is this supposed to be in support of Prop 8 or against? If you were campaigning with the intention of getting people to view your practice as “normal,” wouldn’t it be better to get some, well, more “normal” celebrities to appear in your ads? Or at least make the people you have look sorta normal? The McCains look like airbrushed androids and that Josh Colon ad kinda freaks me out. I have no idea who he is but he looks like a chemically imbalanced sex offender…

Old 01-26-10, 09:33 AM   #159
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

My "practice"? Are all gay people doctors now? Because that would be kind of awesome.

Old 01-26-10, 09:53 AM   #160
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
My "practice"? Are all gay people doctors now? Because that would be kind of awesome.
Any suggestions for that pain I get in my shoulder whenever I raise my arm above my head?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)

Old 01-26-10, 10:10 AM   #161
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Any suggestions for that pain I get in my shoulder whenever I raise my arm above my head?
Don't raise your arm above your head.

"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23

Old 01-26-10, 11:32 AM   #162
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Receptive anal sex

Old 01-26-10, 11:49 AM   #163
wendersfan

Quote:
Receptive anal sex
That's what you prescribed for my athlete's foot!
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)

Old 01-26-10, 11:59 AM   #164
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

And my headache. Bastard!
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

Old 01-26-10, 12:59 PM   #165
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's what you prescribed for my athlete's foot!
Shhhh, baby. Just relax. It'll start feeling good in a few minutes.

Old 01-27-10, 12:38 PM   #166
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river

Quote:
Shhhh, baby. Just relax. It'll start feeling good in a few minutes.
TB, darn you! I just spewed Diet Coke all over myself and my coworkers think I'm nuts. Carry on.

Old 01-27-10, 01:01 PM   #167
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
TB, darn you! I just spewed Diet Coke all over myself and my coworkers think I'm nuts. Carry on.
My work here is done.

Old 02-01-10, 11:56 PM   #168
Supermallet
Time Lord

From BBC News:

Quote:
The Pope has urged Catholic bishops in England and Wales to fight the UK's Equality Bill with "missionary zeal".

Pope Benedict XVI said the legislation "violates natural law" and could end the right of the Catholic Church to ban gay people from senior positions.

The Pope has confirmed he will visit the UK this year, the first since Pope John Paul II in 1982.

The government said the bill, which is currently going through Parliament, would make the UK a fairer place.

And gay rights campaigners have condemned the Pope's comments.

'Unjust limitations'

The Pope told the Catholic bishops of England and Wales gathered in Rome: "Your country is well-known for its firm commitment to equality of opportunity for all members of society.

"Yet, as you have rightly pointed out, the effect of some of the legislation designed to achieve this goal has been to impose unjust limitations on the freedom of religious communities to act in accordance with their beliefs.

"We believe everyone should have a fair chance in life and not be discriminated against"

Government Equalities Office spokesman

"In some respects it actually violates the natural law upon which the equality of all human beings is grounded and by which it is guaranteed."

Religious leaders have voiced concern that the Equality Bill may force churches to employ sexually active gay people and transsexuals when hiring staff other than priests or ministers.

No official itinerary has yet been drawn up for the Pope's visit but officials at the Vatican and in the UK told the BBC it was likely to take place in September.

A spokesman for the Catholic Communications Network said further details were expected in early March.

The Pontiff is expected to visit Birmingham - as part of the planned beatification of Cardinal John Newman - and Scotland.

'Ill-informed claim'

The National Secular Society said it would mount a protest campaign made up of gay groups, victims of clerical abuse, feminists, family planning organisations and pro-abortion groups among others.

President Terry Sanderson said: "The taxpayer in this country is going to be faced with a bill of some £20m for the visit of the Pope.

"A visit in which he has already indicated, he will attack equal rights and promote discrimination."

Human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said the Pope's comments were a "coded attack on the legal rights granted to women and gay people".

"His ill-informed claim that our equality laws undermine religious freedom suggests that he supports the right of churches to discriminate in accordance with their religious ethos," he said.

"He seems to be defending discrimination by religious institutions and demanding that they should be above the law."

A spokesman for the Government Equalities Office said: "The Pope acknowledges our country's firm commitment to equality for all members of society.

"We believe everyone should have a fair chance in life and not be discriminated against. The Equality Bill will make Britain a fairer and more equal place."
How much of a presence does the Catholic Church have in England currently? I'd love to see this act go through.

Old 02-02-10, 08:13 AM   #169
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think they had much presence there but I could be wrong.

Quote:
"His ill-informed claim that our equality laws undermine religious freedom suggests that he supports the right of churches to discriminate in accordance with their religious ethos," he said.

"He seems to be defending discrimination by religious institutions and demanding that they should be above the law."
Sounds like the National Secular Society isn't denying the Pope's concerns

Old 02-02-10, 11:52 AM   #170
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Religious leaders have voiced concern that the Equality Bill may force churches to employ sexually active gay people and transsexuals when hiring staff other than priests or ministers.
BBC brings the unintentional funny!

Old 02-02-10, 09:52 PM   #171
The Valeyard
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Missionary".

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."

Old 02-03-10, 02:34 AM   #172
Artman
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thoughts on this article?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Old 02-03-10, 08:19 AM   #173
Howiefan
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
As if there weren't many straight married couples in open relationships...

Old 02-03-10, 08:20 AM   #174
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I think it's important to choose your vows honestly and within your belief system. The pastor who performed our wedding asked us to consider ours carefully and not to over-promise.

Many people are rethinking their vows these days. If you look at marriage statistics, it's clear that a great many people say the words without acknowledging the meaning of a vow.

If you don't honestly believe you can stay with someone your entire life, don't promise such. If you don't believe a marriage must stay monogamous or that you will be able to, don't promise such. Not to the person most important to you, and certainly not before God if you are making God part of your wedding.

I would imagine tradition makes this more difficult to consider for many people, and the fact that same-sex marriages are by their nature not traditional probably works in their favor in re-evaluating vows.

That's certainly no to say that it necessitates it, and I think many of them long for traditional values as well. But it would make sense as a trend that they are more open and honest in their view of their vows.

Because of the hard-fought battle, I dare say homosexuals likely consider marriage more sacred to their lives than many heterosexual couples.

Far too many marriages fail every day, which of course leads to a scoff at the "sanctity of marriage."

http://savejace.info/

Old 02-03-10, 09:43 AM   #175
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
I think it's important to choose your vows honestly and within your belief system. The pastor who performed our wedding asked us to consider ours carefully and not to over-promise.
Apropos of that ...

Quote:
Jenny Sanford Exclusive: Husband Refused to Be Faithful in Wedding Vows
S.C. First Lady Tells Barbara Walters: 'I Thought He Loved Me in His Own Way, Which Is Not a Warm, Bubbly Way'
By ROB WALLACE, KATIE THOMSON and LAUREN SHER
Feb. 2, 2010

South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford recalls how she made the "leap of faith" to marry husband Gov. Mark Sanford even though the groom refused to promise to be faithful, insisting that the clause be removed from their wedding vows.

"It bothered me to some extent, but ... we were very young, we were in love," she said in an exclusive interview with Barbara Walters to air on "20/20" Friday. "I questioned it, but I got past it ... along with other doubts that I had."

Sanford and her marriage were thrust into the national spotlight in June 2009 when her husband admitted that he had been secretly visiting his longtime lover in Argentina instead of hiking the Appalachian Trail, as he had told his staff.

Sanford learned of her husband's infidelity in January 2009, before the scandal broke. After 20 years of marriage, she moved out of the governor's mansion with the couple's four children in August and filed for divorce in December.

Following the ordeal of the last year, Sanford penned a memoir called "Staying True," a chronicle of her marriage to the governor, which will be released Friday.

Sanford, a former investment banker and Georgetown alumna, was 27 when she married Mark Sanford.

"I was a little bit surprised and maybe frankly a tiny bit disappointed that Jenny was willing to subvert herself to somebody who, frankly I didn't think was as capable as she was," Steve Rattner, her boss at the time, at the top investment bank Lazard Freres, told Walters.

After their November 1989 wedding, the newlyweds moved to Charleston, S.C., where she discovered her husband was extremely frugal -- even "cheap."

Sanford said her husband gave her less than romantic gifts for her birthday.

"He drew me a picture of a half a bike, and then for the next birthday or Christmas I got the picture of the other half a bike, and then he delivered the $25 used bike," she recalled.

For another birthday, Mark Sanford gave her a diamond necklace, which she adored, but then he took it back.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/jenny-san...ory?id=9727121

(There's more at the link and you can watch the whole interview with Baba Wawa on Friday!)

Sponsored Links
Closed Thread