Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-26-09, 04:55 AM   #1
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

Woman demands that Fox News not be on while she works out

I'm sorry, i found this amusing. it was a front page story in the baltimore sun
Quote:
Ann Geddes doesn't want a "fair and balanced" workout. But the 49-year-old worker for a nonprofit agency is having no luck getting the channel changed in front of her favorite rowing machine at a Columbia gym.

The television happens to be tuned permanently to Fox News. Geddes, a liberal Democrat and former legislative aide to a Howard County delegate, said she can't stomach the conservative lineup that appears nightly as she gets her exercise. Even though the sound is off, the words scrolling across the bottom of the screen infuriate her.

"It makes my blood pressure go up,"
she said.

Befitting the democratic (with a small "d") pedigree of a planned community founded on the principle of races and classes living side by side, Geddes has taken her complaint up the chain of command, from the attendant at the gym run by the Columbia Association to the new president of the giant homeowners' group.

She's had no success. Now she's going public.

Columbia Association officials say they won't heed Geddes' request to remove Fox from the cable lineup. In order to provide choices and eliminate squabbling among patrons, they say that every gym monitor is tuned to a particular station and can't be changed. Of the 40 large-screen televisions in the general exercise rooms in Columbia's three gyms, three are set to receive Fox.

"There is no way that we can stop showing one channel because of one person," said Phil Nelson, the president of the homeowner's group, in a written response to Geddes' request.

Geddes' beef may not rate with other famous Columbia disputes, such as battles over downtown redevelopment, Merriweather Post Pavilion's future, or whether the association's lightly used horse center should keep operating. Still, it offers a glimpse of the political sensibilities of some residents and the balancing act that leaders must undertake to try to keep peace and reach a fragile consensus.

Bob Bellamy, the Columbia Association's director of operations, said 43,000 people use the Supreme Sports Club facility yearly, and Geddes is the only one who has complained.

"She called me up and wanted me to take Fox News off all the TVs," he said, gesturing to the six big flat-screens fixed to the main exercise room wall.

The Fox screen is directly in front of the rowing machine Geddes prefers, though a second one two feet away faces a screen showing NBC. Others broadcast local stations, CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, the Food Network, Discovery Channel and HGTV.

Unanimous vote
The association's Health and Fitness Advisory Committee, composed of club users, "unanimously endorsed the current selection of stations," Bellamy said.

Nelson said some like the conservative network. "As soon as we ban Fox News from our recreation facilities, I will get calls from that side," he said.

Geddes said she's feeling brushed off and doesn't accept the explanation from association officials that Fox is the highest-rated cable news channel. She says that can't be the case in liberal-leaning Columbia, and she insists she is not giving up.

"When it became really upsetting to me was this summer with all the town hall meetings," she said. "I literally just close my eyes, but the problem I have frankly is, I see out of the corner of my eye. You can't help peeking," she said.

Geddes also has a ready answer for anyone who accuses her of censorship.

"They won't show the Playboy channel," she points out. That could be considered censorship, too.

No problems elsewhere
Other regional gyms seem immune from such concerns. The corporately owned Life Time Fitness has a facility nearby, but company spokesman Jason Sunstrom said from Minnesota that the building's exercise room is so big that people can see 15 or more TV screens from each machine. They've had no complaints, he said.

Central Maryland's YMCA, which has a newly renovated facility in Ellicott City, said each of its new exercise machines has an individual television screen that patrons can adjust to any channel offered.

The newest machines at Supreme also have individual screens, but not the rowing machine that Geddes likes.

Of course, in some other places, Fox is quite popular.

"Actually, we're Republican country up here," said Wendy Willms, who works at the South Pointe Fitness Club in Hagerstown.

Geddes said she tried one more gambit late last week: paying $30 a month more to upgrade her membership to the private workout rooms with the "fluffier towels and ice water with lemon," and nicer machines and furniture. But she quickly learned that's not the answer. Those rooms don't have the rowing machines she likes.

"My next battle is to put rowing machines in there," she said with a laugh.

But she acknowledges one positive benefit to staring at Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity against her will. Facing Fox News, she said, "does make me exercise harder."
Old 09-26-09, 04:58 AM   #2
antennaball
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Woman demands that Fox News not be on while she works out

She should stick to incredibly creepy photos of babies.
Old 09-26-09, 07:21 AM   #3
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-26-09, 08:04 AM   #4
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypro 525 View Post
it was a front page story in the baltimore sun
what??!!??!!!
Old 09-26-09, 08:41 AM   #5
Rypro 525
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
what??!!??!!!
yep, saw it with my own eyes while leaving work. Prob a slow news day over there.
Old 09-26-09, 08:42 AM   #6
Ky-Fi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm...I saw this headline and assumed it was about a story in my area that made the local news. It seems like the angry left is just infuriated that people might choose to watch Fox news. Here was a recent letter to the editor from Ispwich, MA:

Y should drop Fox News

To the editor:

This country is currently engaged in one of the most important national conversations of our time —how we should together address the many things that are wrong with our current health-care and health-insurance systems. The key issues are that there be a thorough review and consideration of possible options, and that we identify a system that can provide health insurance and health care to everyone. Local health-related institutions such as the Ipswich YMCA can play an important role in informing members on the issues and options, such as incentive payments for health-care membership and use.

Moving toward sensible health coverage is going to need to happen one person at a time. There has been thoughtful opposition to the current proposals, and discussions of these issues will enhance the eventual outcome. There has also been heated and thoughtless haranguing in some media, most notably Fox News, and in the town-hall meetings held by Congressional representatives this summer. Glenn Beck of Fox News has been particularly active in both ranting on his own television program, and encouraging others to do likewise.

The key issues in the angry exchanges seem to be “rationing of health care” (denying it to people based on characteristics – thus the Nazi charge of practicing race-cleansing) and “death panels” (discussions of end-of-life choices with physicians). These issues have been used to pump people’s fear into frenzy.

In fact, the United States is the only developed western country that rations health care by an individual’s ability to pay. The U.S. has 45.7 million people under the age of 65 with no health care coverage based on ability to pay, while single-payer countries have much higher rates of coverage. The international organization, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development has 30 member countries that are generally westernized nations. All but three have single-payer health care – Mexico, Turkey and the U.S.

Fox News has made itself ubiquitous. In many places you go where there are TVs (and there are more than ever), Fox News is on. The Ipswich YMCA (Ipswich Y) is one such place. The Ipswich Y has brought the rants and irrationality of Fox News and Glenn Beck into the work-out room. His program is now boycotted by at least 36 advertisers, including AT&T, Procter and Gamble, and Wal-Mart. Yet members of the Ipswich Y who show up to work on their health and conditioning, are exposed to angry diatribes even Wal-Mart rejects. When the TV’s were introduced last year, requests were made by active members to not program Fox News in the work-out room, yet Fox News is still on. The YMCA’s mission is still the same — “The Y is a feeling of trust and caring, where building character and values are priority #1. All YMCA members experience a sense of belonging and ownership that can’t be duplicated. The benefits of membership abound! We have a value-added membership that promises to get you healthy, keep you fit and help you achieve an overall healthy lifestyle.”

We remain concerned that the “unhealthy” debate on health care and health insurance is being abetted by organizations such as our own Ipswich Y that, despite its own stated mission, perpetuates access to the airwaves and audiences of some of the most negative elements of the health-care discussion. This is not a case of freedom of speech — this is a member organization with a stated mission that is directly opposed to the ranting that it imposes on members.

All of the exercise equipment face the TV’s. With scrolling headlines and angry expressions [Ky-Fi-- ], no one in the exercise room can ignore the programming on the TV’s. Making a personal choice to not watch the TV is impossible. Even if it were, the fact that the Ipswich Y is still supporting the airing of angry, non-sensical debate, is still at odds with the organization’s mission.

If a survey were done and most members wanted Fox News on, then those of us who find this unacceptable would have to make new choices. Until then, the Ipswich YMCA should join Wal-Mart and others and remove the hate speech from our health space.

Carolyn Britt

Nancy Popp

Maria Wilkins

Patrick Patterson

http://www.wickedlocal.com/ipswich/n...-to-the-editor
Old 09-26-09, 09:57 AM   #7
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Uh...FIND ANOTHER GYM OR SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-26-09, 11:22 AM   #8
Nausicaa
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have always wondered why most gyms I've gone to seem to only show Fox News on their overhead TVs. The cardio equipment people usually each get their own screen to watch whatever the like, but I rarely see anything but Fox on those big hanging TVs.
Old 09-26-09, 11:24 AM   #9
Bluelitespecial
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fox News is always on at my gym, but I guess it depends where you live. This lady wants to remove Fox News, and replace it with your liberal Obama loving news when you are the only person who has complained. Find a new gym, and stop forcing your views on other people who don't share it.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 09-26-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-26-09, 11:28 AM   #10
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I have always wondered why most gyms I've gone to seem to only show Fox News on their overhead TVs.
Because Fox news is the most-watched new channel. Why should a gym put on a news channel that is not the preferred news channel by most? As a business you want to cater to the majority.. and the few that complain like this lady can be safely ignored. I'm sure this gym will quickly be denounced as a racist gym and Obama will quickly announce a "Gym czar" to determine the "best" channel for gym tv's.
Old 09-26-09, 11:30 AM   #11
DeputyDave
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if she would flip out if she found out what the "C" in YMCA stood for? Her head might explode.
Old 09-26-09, 01:40 PM   #12
creekdipper
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should put on the Home Shopping Network if they really want to raise blood pressure.
Old 09-26-09, 03:35 PM   #13
Tuan Jim
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently Hawaii)

Well with the volume turned off, I prefer Fox News news ticker - tends to go into far more detail and doesn't repeat itself as often as the CNN versions.

A healthy sense of variety.
Old 09-27-09, 01:55 AM   #14
wm lopez
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Hmm...I saw this headline and assumed it was about a story in my area that made the local news. It seems like the angry left is just infuriated that people might choose to watch Fox news. Here was a recent letter to the editor from Ispwich, MA:

Y should drop Fox News

To the editor:

This country is currently engaged in one of the most important national conversations of our time —how we should together address the many things that are wrong with our current health-care and health-insurance systems. The key issues are that there be a thorough review and consideration of possible options, and that we identify a system that can provide health insurance and health care to everyone. Local health-related institutions such as the Ipswich YMCA can play an important role in informing members on the issues and options, such as incentive payments for health-care membership and use.

Moving toward sensible health coverage is going to need to happen one person at a time. There has been thoughtful opposition to the current proposals, and discussions of these issues will enhance the eventual outcome. There has also been heated and thoughtless haranguing in some media, most notably Fox News, and in the town-hall meetings held by Congressional representatives this summer. Glenn Beck of Fox News has been particularly active in both ranting on his own television program, and encouraging others to do likewise.

The key issues in the angry exchanges seem to be “rationing of health care” (denying it to people based on characteristics – thus the Nazi charge of practicing race-cleansing) and “death panels” (discussions of end-of-life choices with physicians). These issues have been used to pump people’s fear into frenzy.

In fact, the United States is the only developed western country that rations health care by an individual’s ability to pay. The U.S. has 45.7 million people under the age of 65 with no health care coverage based on ability to pay, while single-payer countries have much higher rates of coverage. The international organization, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development has 30 member countries that are generally westernized nations. All but three have single-payer health care – Mexico, Turkey and the U.S.

Fox News has made itself ubiquitous. In many places you go where there are TVs (and there are more than ever), Fox News is on. The Ipswich YMCA (Ipswich Y) is one such place. The Ipswich Y has brought the rants and irrationality of Fox News and Glenn Beck into the work-out room. His program is now boycotted by at least 36 advertisers, including AT&T, Procter and Gamble, and Wal-Mart. Yet members of the Ipswich Y who show up to work on their health and conditioning, are exposed to angry diatribes even Wal-Mart rejects. When the TV’s were introduced last year, requests were made by active members to not program Fox News in the work-out room, yet Fox News is still on. The YMCA’s mission is still the same — “The Y is a feeling of trust and caring, where building character and values are priority #1. All YMCA members experience a sense of belonging and ownership that can’t be duplicated. The benefits of membership abound! We have a value-added membership that promises to get you healthy, keep you fit and help you achieve an overall healthy lifestyle.”

We remain concerned that the “unhealthy” debate on health care and health insurance is being abetted by organizations such as our own Ipswich Y that, despite its own stated mission, perpetuates access to the airwaves and audiences of some of the most negative elements of the health-care discussion. This is not a case of freedom of speech — this is a member organization with a stated mission that is directly opposed to the ranting that it imposes on members.

All of the exercise equipment face the TV’s. With scrolling headlines and angry expressions [Ky-Fi-- ], no one in the exercise room can ignore the programming on the TV’s. Making a personal choice to not watch the TV is impossible. Even if it were, the fact that the Ipswich Y is still supporting the airing of angry, non-sensical debate, is still at odds with the organization’s mission.

If a survey were done and most members wanted Fox News on, then those of us who find this unacceptable would have to make new choices. Until then, the Ipswich YMCA should join Wal-Mart and others and remove the hate speech from our health space.

Carolyn Britt

Nancy Popp

Maria Wilkins

Patrick Patterson

http://www.wickedlocal.com/ipswich/n...-to-the-editor
I wonder if this person called all those war protesters hate speech during the Bush years.
Old 09-27-09, 06:33 AM   #15
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

She should be raped.

Scratch that... raped and sodomized.

And all because she doesn't like Fox News too btw. Her being a childish, petty, stupid, self important **** has nothing to do with it.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 09-27-09, 01:36 PM   #16
Supermallet
Time Lord

No, Dr. Mabuse, tell us how you really feel.
Old 09-27-09, 04:01 PM   #17
JOE29
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like me a few years ago with MTV Raps. I got tired of seeing it on the tv at the gym so I did the only thing I could do. Started buying equipment for my basement and built my own gym at home. Now I can put on whatever the hell I want and I didn't complain about it to anyone. Situation solved.
Old 09-27-09, 05:22 PM   #18
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the gym I go to, and let me say from the bottom of my heart that she can go &*^# herself. I'm no fan of Fox news, but who the hell does she think she is?
Old 09-27-09, 06:10 PM   #19
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

I want to say that this woman is completely wrong. But then I read this:

Quote:
"They won't show the Playboy channel," she points out.
And suddenly, I'm ready to start picketing my gym until they add the Playboy channel to their lineup.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 09-27-09, 07:38 PM   #20
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Phoenix, AZ, Passively angry as heck but gosh darn I'll sit back and take it you know, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
And suddenly, I'm ready to start picketing my gym until they add the Playboy channel to their lineup.
Haha. Fox News is "news porn". I'm going to use that.
Old 09-27-09, 08:32 PM   #21
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Fox news as much as the next guy, but here's a novel thought. If you are watching TV, you arent working out. So, worry less about the television, and more about your workout.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 09-27-09, 09:19 PM   #22
Hank Ringworm
Needs to provide a working email

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
If you are watching TV, you arent working out.
That's a little like saying, if you're listening to music, you aren't riding the bus.
Old 09-27-09, 09:30 PM   #23
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

I like the TV on when I'm at the gym. That's how I usually catch the first half of MNF. However, my gym lets you choose what you can watch cause they got little TVs in the machines.. the big TV in the front of the building is usually just on some random local station.

"As far as 240 lb rapists go, she's not that bad." -- DRG
Old 09-28-09, 01:51 AM   #24
Cheato
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
That's a little like saying, if you're listening to music, you aren't riding the bus.
Whoa.

I didn't expect Zen Buddhist philosophy to pop up in this thread.
Old 09-28-09, 06:32 AM   #25
Burnt Thru
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
but not really.