Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-01-09, 03:03 PM   #1
wendersfan

The abortionist-killing, Olbermann & O'Reilly-hatin' thread

Please continue
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-01-09, 03:05 PM   #2
adamblast
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The abortionist-killing, Olbermann & O'Reilly-hatin' thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I was just trying to get to the reason why some feel so compelled to blame anything and everything but the person who committed the crime.
That's inaccurate. They're blaming other people (or institutions) *in addition* to the person who committed the crime, and in general wondering about their contributory effect.

Can we have a new poll? Which do you hate more? Abortionist-killers, Olbermann or O'Reilly?

Last edited by adamblast; 06-01-09 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 03:07 PM   #3
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Forgive me for trying to bring some even handedness to the discussion. I personally wouldn't care if he was a pastor... I was just trying to get to the reason why some feel so compelled to blame anything and everything but the person who committed the crime.
In all fairness to certain posters here, they only do it when Christianity is involved. So at least it isn't all the time.

Last edited by cpgator; 06-01-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 03:07 PM   #4
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

I meant without the O'Reilly/Olbermann stuff but whatever.
Old 06-01-09, 03:07 PM   #5
joeblow69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bill will address this issue tonight:
http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/po...der-of-doctor/
Quote:
Bill O’Reilly — who’s taking a beating for the jihad he’s waged against George Tiller, the doctor who performed late-term abortions and was gunned down yesterday — will address the killing and the criticism directed at him on his show tonight, a Fox spokesperson confirms to me.

O’Reilly has attacked Tiller in dozens of episodes, frequently referring to him as “Tiller the Baby Killer,” Salon reports. After the news spread of Tiller’s murder yesterday, multiple critics fingered O’Reilly for fomenting a hate campaign against him.

I asked Fox spokesperson Richard White if O’Reilly had a response to the criticism. “Mr. O’Reilly will be addressing the issue/topic on tonight’s show,” White answered.

That’s going to be some must-watch TV. Tune in tonight at 8:00 P.M.
Old 06-01-09, 03:09 PM   #6
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
In all fairness to certain posters here, they only does it when Christianity is involved. So at least it isn't all the time.
I certainly don't hold Christianity to any different measure than any other organized religion. It just so happens Christianity is the dominant religion in our country.
Old 06-01-09, 03:12 PM   #7
wendersfan

Quote:
In all fairness to certain posters here, they only do it when Christianity is involved. So at least it isn't all the time.
To whom are you referring - CRM114, JasonF, or myself?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-01-09, 03:14 PM   #8
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I was just trying to get to the reason why some feel so compelled to blame anything and everything but the person who committed the crime.
Because placing blame on something that fits an agenda is the american way. That's why whenever there's a shooting spree, both sides of the gun debate come out in full force. When Columbine happened, the 'video games cause violence' side used it to further their cause. Heck, people were blaming Marilyn Manson. It's just what we do, as a society. We need to know why, and who to scapegoat, and how can it help me further my beliefs.
Old 06-01-09, 03:14 PM   #9
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Obviously, me. I'm always the "certain poster."
Old 06-01-09, 03:17 PM   #10
wendersfan

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't see the difference between person A killing person B because person B was banging person A's wife and person A killing person B because person B was doing something person A felt that, for religious or political reasons, was horribly wrong.

When someone blows up a cafe in Tel Aviv I can guarantee you no one ever jumps to the conclusion that it was all because of a bad plate of tabbouleh.
Old 06-01-09, 03:22 PM   #11
Artman
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't see the difference between person A killing person B because person B was banging person A's wife and person A killing person because person B was doing something person A felt that, for religious reasons, was horribly wrong.
This is where it gets tricky...and I am not trying to talk down here, but simply explain it as best I can. There is a difference between religious beliefs and political ones. We are free to draw our political conclusions from The Bible (and poeple on both sides do) but they are not "religious" beliefs. I know in modern times the two have become intwined, and the first thing people think of when they think of Christians are political issues. This should not be. And everyone's to blame, preachers would do better to lay off politics and non-Christians should realize all Christians do not hold one political viewpoint.
Old 06-01-09, 03:24 PM   #12
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
I don't want to name people, and besides, it wouldn't be fair to CRM114.

However, perhaps you can point out a post by one of those, including yourself, claiming that all muslim (or any other religion) churches/people should considered terrorists groups. Anti-abortion folk have killed a handfull of abortion doctors/workers over the last 20 years or so (which granted is a handfull too many), but Muslim groups have killed many thousands. Why doesn't that get you into a tizzy? I assume you are able to separate that religion and the violent acts by some believers...
Old 06-01-09, 03:24 PM   #13
arminius
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamblast View Post
That's inaccurate. They're blaming other people (or institutions) *in addition* to the person who committed the crime, and in general wondering about their contributory effect.

Can we have a new poll? Which do you hate more? Abortionist-killers, Olbermann or O'Reilly?
Is that the one killing by abortion or being killed because of abortion?
Old 06-01-09, 03:27 PM   #14
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
When someone blows up a cafe in Tel Aviv I can guarantee you no one ever jumps to the conclusion that it was all because of a bad plate of tabbouleh.
True, but there's always extensive debate about who should be held accountable.
Old 06-01-09, 03:29 PM   #15
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
There is a difference between religious beliefs and political ones. We are free to draw our political conclusions from The Bible (and poeple on both sides do) but they are not "religious" beliefs. I know in modern times the two have become intwined, and the first thing people think of when they think of Christians are political issues. This should not be. And everyone's to blame, preachers would do better to lay off politics and non-Christians should realize all Christians do not hold one political viewpoint.
This is an extremely naive and uninformed argument. For a large number of people on this planet their religion is their exclusive source of their views on law and government policy. Sharia is a concept based totally on this conception. Most laws in the U.S. dealing with moral behavior are religiously motivated.
Old 06-01-09, 03:31 PM   #16
wendersfan

Quote:
Why doesn't that get you into a tizzy?
If you don't think it does you haven't been paying attention.
Quote:
I assume you are able to separate that religion and the violent acts by some believers...
I'm a Christian who has a large number of Muslim friends. I don't know if that answers your question but it's the best I can do.
Old 06-01-09, 03:34 PM   #17
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Bill will address this issue tonight:
http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/po...der-of-doctor/
Should be interesting. Red-Staters are already comparing the shooting suspect to Rosa Parks, and the head of operation rescue's only regret is that the doctor wasn't tried and properly executed, so old Bill-o has some mighty big clown shoes to fill tonight. Can't wait
Old 06-01-09, 03:34 PM   #18
Artman
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is an extremely naive and uninformed argument. For a large number of people on this planet their religion is their exclusive source of their views on law and government policy. Sharia is a concept based totally on this conception. .
Forgive me I was referring to only The Bible...I should've prefaced my comments accordingly. Other religions very well may be different.
Old 06-01-09, 03:44 PM   #19
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Should be interesting. Red-Staters are already comparing the shooting suspect to Rosa Parks, and the head of operation rescue's only regret is that the doctor wasn't tried and properly executed, so old Bill-o has some mighty big clown shoes to fill tonight. Can't wait
Did you even look at either link? One idiot on the site said he was like Rosa Parks and was quickly shot down by others. The head of Operation Rescue's exact quote was "every man deserves a trial by jury of his peers and a proper execution." No 'only regret'. Apparently "crooks and liars" refers to those that run the site, and at least one of its readers.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 06-01-09 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 03:48 PM   #20
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Because placing blame on something that fits an agenda is the american way. That's why whenever there's a shooting spree, both sides of the gun debate come out in full force. When Columbine happened, the 'video games cause violence' side used it to further their cause. Heck, people were blaming Marilyn Manson. It's just what we do, as a society. We need to know why, and who to scapegoat, and how can it help me further my beliefs.

Whenever some wacko with a gun kills someone we automatically given them victim status and move on from there to find someone more popular to blame. I think people in this country just like a juicy story in favor of the real one.
Old 06-01-09, 03:49 PM   #21
wendersfan

I already posted that Operation Rescue condemned this murder.
Old 06-01-09, 03:51 PM   #22
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Whenever some wacko with a gun kills someone we automatically given them victim status and move on from there to find someone more popular to blame.
No one is calling this wacko a victim. A lot of people (myself included) are calling him a terrorist.
Old 06-01-09, 03:57 PM   #23
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
No one is calling this wacko a victim. A lot of people (myself included) are calling him a terrorist.
I agree with you but the tone I've been hearing today (and not just on here) is that he's a victim of the dastardly O'Reilly and his you-can't-resist-wanting-to-shoot-people-he-doesn't-like hate speech.
Old 06-01-09, 03:58 PM   #24
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Whenever some wacko with a gun kills someone we automatically given them victim status and move on from there to find someone more popular to blame. I think people in this country just like a juicy story in favor of the real one.
He's no victim of anything. I just think after something like this happens, we all run the risk of clouding our judgement with our own preconceived notions a la post-9/11 Jerry Falwell.
Old 06-01-09, 03:58 PM   #25
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Did you even look at either link? One idiot on the site said he was like Rosa Parks and was quickly shot down by others. The head of Operation Rescue's exact quote was "every man deserves a trial by jury of his peers and a proper execution." No 'only regret'. Apparently "crooks and liars" refers to those that run the site, and at least one of its readers.
I did nothing regarding the red-state comment than O'Reilly, Maklin and their ilk haven't done dozens of times to commentors from Kos and other sites. Don't recall any great outrage from your side over those.