Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-23-12, 12:04 PM   #1076
En vacance

Re: Afghanistan: The War Continues Under Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
By the way, I do hope you realise or remember
Realize is spelled with a z.
Old 09-23-12, 12:09 PM   #1077
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Now that's silly; of course it was a war of choice initiated by America. And its continuation, years after al queda was eliminated there, is most definitely an American choice.
Exactly. Afghanistan didn't declare war on the United States.
Old 09-23-12, 01:09 PM   #1078
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
Realize is spelled with a z.
The British spell realize with a s instead of a z.
Old 09-23-12, 05:15 PM   #1079
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We went in, fucked aq up and then we should have left. They will never be a country. We should just make it clear if they harbor aq like they did we will come in and kill them and then leave. If they want to build a country let them. It's not our problem.
Old 09-24-12, 12:20 PM   #1080
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, I missed this from last week. Not exactly like the Tet offensive in terms of the scope, but maybe similar in what it says about the state of the war :

Quote:
Audacious Raid on NATO Base Shows Taliban’s Reach

By ALISSA J. RUBIN

KABUL, Afghanistan — An audacious Taliban attack on a heavily fortified base in southern Afghanistan did far more damage than initially reported, destroying or severely damaging eight attack jets in the most destructive single strike on Western matériel in the 11-year war, military officials said Sunday.

While other attacks have caused greater loss of life, the assault late Friday at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, one of the largest and best-defended posts in Afghanistan, was troubling to NATO because the attackers were able to penetrate the base, killing two Marines and causing more than $200 million in damage. “We’re saying it’s a very sophisticated attack,” said a military official here. “We’ve lost aircraft in battle, but nothing like this.”

The complex attack, which NATO officials said was conducted by three tightly choreographed teams of militants wearing American Army uniforms, was a reminder that the Taliban remain capable of serious assaults despite the “surge” offensive against them. Now the offensive is over, and nearly 10,000 American Marines have left Helmand Province, a critical stronghold for the Taliban, over the past several months.

Together with a rash of attacks by Afghan security forces against NATO troops — including two over the weekend that left at least six coalition service members dead — the Taliban have put new pressure on the American withdrawal plan, which calls for accelerated troop pullouts through 2014 while training Afghan forces to take over.

At the same time, tensions with the government flared Sunday as President Hamid Karzai condemned the deaths of Afghan women in airstrikes and criticized the continued American custody of hundreds of Afghan prisoners.

The military investigation into the attack at Bastion is now trying to uncover whether the insurgents had help from inside the camp and whether they were trained or aided by neighboring countries, such as Pakistan or Iran, which have allowed the Taliban to take refuge on their territory. But military officials and Afghan analysts said that the insurgents may well have prepared for their mission in significant measure by studying easily available satellite images on the Internet. “We don’t underestimate the enemy,” the military official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the continuing investigation. “We know the enemy has limited capability to do these, but they are not a whole bunch of yokels running around the country.”

The 15 insurgents conducting the attack lost no time from the moment they blew a hole in the perimeter at one of the closest points to the airfield, military officials said. They then raced toward their targets, shooting and setting fire to parked Marine AV-8B Harrier jets and destroying three refueling stations, even as a quick reaction force was mustering to fight them off, a military official said. “It was a running gun battle for a while, two and a half hours, nonetheless they were able to get to the aircraft before we could intercept them,” a military official said, noting that because it happened at night it was difficult until daylight to be sure that all the insurgents had been killed or captured. All but one was killed; the remaining insurgent is in custody, the military said.

Two American Marines were killed in the attack, and nine coalition personnel, including a civilian contractor, were wounded, the military said in a statement. Prince Harry, the third in line to the British throne, is doing a tour of duty as a helicopter pilot and was stationed at Camp Bastion at the time of the attack, but was not hurt. Camp Bastion is home mostly to British soldiers, while the neighboring camp, known as Leatherneck, has American Marines and other service members.

Six of the jets, which each cost between $23 million and $30 million when they were first acquired by the United States Navy, according to a General Accounting Office report, were completely destroyed and two more were so severely damaged it was unlikely they could be repaired. Also badly damaged were three refueling stations and three soft-skinned aircraft hangars, the military said in a news release.

Determining how it was possible for the insurgents to penetrate and severely damage such a well-defended base, particularly one with clear lines of sight across miles of mostly flat plain, will be important in determining whether this was a unique attack or one that could be replicated either in targeting Western bases or Afghan ones, military experts said.

“The Taliban retain the command and military planning infrastructure to put together complex and sophisticated attacks,” said Stephen Biddle, a professor at George Washington University with expertise in defense studies.

“If this is a clever surprise, it can’t work twice; it tells you the people are clever and can do elaborate planning, using subterfuge and possibly captured uniforms,” Mr. Biddle said. “It would be a different matter if they managed to blow a hole in a heavily defended perimeter — then the Afghan National Security Forces are looking at a big, big problem.”

Wahid Mujda, an Afghan analyst who tracks the Taliban, said that despite the Taliban’s statement that the attack was retaliation for an anti-Muslim video, the video almost certainly had nothing to do with it.

“I do not think that the Camp Bastion attack had anything to do with the anti-Prophet movie,” Mr. Mujda said. “Given the sophistication of the attack one can say with a lot of confidence that the Taliban had been training, rehearsing and preparing for weeks and even months. Everything was not planned and decided overnight.”

He predicted that the Afghan government and the international military forces here would see similar attacks in the future.

“They have experts, strategists, planners and designers, they have a great knowledge of the modern technology,” Mr. Mujda said.

“My sources in the Taliban tell me that every time they want to attack an important target they use Google Maps and other available means for studying and understanding their targets.”

This year’s toll from what are known as insider or green-on-blue attacks — green being American military parlance for indigenous forces, blue for its own — has become one of the most visible signs of the challenges faced by the NATO-led coalition as it nears the end of its role in Afghanistan’s war.

The second attack of the weekend, which was Sunday in Zabul Province, was the deadlier of the two latest incidents, with four coalition service members killed. The coalition said in a terse statement that the attack was “suspected to involve members of the Afghan police” and was under investigation.

Michael Cole, a coalition spokesman, said officials suspected the Afghan police in the attack because a police officer was killed in the firefight that ensued. But Mr. Cole said investigators were not yet certain whether the dead officer was one of the attackers or was caught in the cross-fire.

Afghan officials said they, too, were investigating.

The six deaths brought to 51 the number of coalition service members killed this year in insider attacks. The toll has already well exceeded last year’s total of 35 killed in such violence.

The increase in attacks has prompted coalition and Afghan officials to step up their vetting of Afghan recruits, and coalition officials say the attacks are mostly driven by personal animosity. Still, at least a quarter are believed to be the result of Taliban infiltration or influence over soldiers and the police.

Matthew Rosenberg and Habib Zahori contributed reporting from Kabul, and Taimoor Shah from Kandahar, Afghanistan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/wo...oc.semityn.www
Old 09-24-12, 01:37 PM   #1081
DVD Talk Hero

The increase in attacks has prompted coalition and Afghan officials to step up their vetting of Afghan recruits....

Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-24-12, 06:11 PM   #1082
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's an average of 34 killed a month and dead silence from the media. And last weeks attack on the base that took out six Harrier Jets and killed two marines including the Harrier's squad commandar was the worst there in a decade. And now the Taliban has released a "recruiting" video with details of the attack....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...MainColumnArea

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 09-26-12, 11:52 AM   #1083
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...kistan/262814/

Am I alone in thinking that the Pakistan drone war would get a little bit more air time on the nightly news if a Republican was in the White House?
Old 09-26-12, 12:31 PM   #1084
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...kistan/262814/

Am I alone in thinking that the Pakistan drone war would get a little bit more air time on the nightly news if a Republican was in the White House?
Yeah. I have a real problem with the morality of the ongoing drone attacks, particularly against a country we're not officially at war with. I wouldn't rule out their use completely, but it seems like they should be restricted to pretty extraordinary targets, few and far between.
Old 09-26-12, 12:41 PM   #1085
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Yeah. I have a real problem with the morality of the ongoing drone attacks, particularly against a country we're not officially at war with. I wouldn't rule out their use completely, but it seems like they should be restricted to pretty extraordinary targets, few and far between.
A big problem I have is that the Obama administration considers anyone over the age of 18 killed in a drone attack to be an enemy combatant. So every time an innocent civilian gets killed by a drone attack, they're no longer defined as an innocent civilian.

Hope & Change.
Old 09-26-12, 12:42 PM   #1086
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah all the "innocent" people in Waziristan and the tribal regions. Man that article laid it on thick.

Of course drone strikes would get much more negative coverage in the news, probably periods of wall to wall media cycle coverage if a Republican were in the White House. That's the nature of our 'unbiased' and objective press.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 11-02-15, 09:38 PM   #1087
DVD Talk Legend

The "most transparent administration in history" says it can't figure out why it paid 86 times the going rate for a gas station in Afghanistan:

http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-most-ex...opstories.html

'World's Most Expensive Gas Station' Cost Taxpayers $43M

November 2, 2015

American taxpayers are on the hook for a $43 million gas station constructed in Afghanistan -- a price tag that’s about $42.5 million higher than it should’ve been, and the Department of Defense can’t explain why, according to a new government report.

The DOD charged the American taxpayer $43 million for what is likely the world’s most expensive gas station,” Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) John Sopko said, ahead of the release of the SIGAR report today. “DOD spent $43 million on the gas station, without determining it would be a good idea, and now claims it knows nothing about the project.”

The SIGAR report details the planning and construction of a compressed natural gas (CNG) station in the Afghan city of Sheberghan, part of a larger Downstream Gas Utilization Project designed to take advantage of Afghanistan’s natural gas reserves. The gas station itself was meant to prove that CNG stations were a viable alternative to imported petroleum for Afghan vehicles.

SIGAR found that in other countries, for example in Pakistan next door, the total cost for constructing a CNG station can be up to $500,000 -- not the astronomical $43 million the DOD paid.

“To date, DOD has been unable to provide documentation showing why the Sheberghan CNG station cost nearly $43 million,” the SIGAR report says. “Even considering security costs associated with construction and operation in Afghanistan, this level of expenditure appears gratuitous and extreme.”

According to SIGAR, DOD said the group in charge of the project, the Task Force for Business and Stability Operations (TFBSO), had been closed in March 2015 and therefore the DOD “no longer possess[es] the personnel expertise to address these questions...” The TFBSO had been in charge of over $800 million, SIGAR said.

Beyond the high cost, SIGAR reports that the DOD task force did not look into the feasibility of the gas station and that the infrastructure necessary to support the CNG station was lacking.

Additionally, the cost of converting local vehicles to be able to use compressed natural gas is reportedly around $700 – a little more than the average annual income for locals.

“In sum, it is not clear why TFBSO believed the CNG filling station project should be undertaken,” the SIGAR report says.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, said it is "negligent and irresponsible for the Obama administration to spend the American taxpayer's hard-earned money with such careless abandon."

Lt. Col. Joe Sowers, a spokesperson for the Department of Defense, acknowledged in a written statement that TFBSO personnel would not be around to answer questions, as the office was shutting down, but said the Pentagon established a "reading room" for SIGAR to review relevant documents.

"We continue to provide complete and unfettered access to TFBSO documents to SIGAR through the reading room managed by the Washington Headquarters Services. Further, we have offered to assist SIGAR in locating and contacting any former TFBSO personnel they wish to interview," Sowers said. "We welcome the continued review of this project by SIGAR."
Old 08-30-17, 01:51 PM   #1088
Time Lord

Erik Prince, brother of Betsy Devos, just had an op-ed in the NYT where he calls for the government to hire a mercenary army from his company to fight in Afghanistan. How do conservatives who feel the government wastes too much money feel about this proposal?
Old 08-30-17, 03:02 PM   #1089
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to hear his proposal, but that seems crazy.

Okay I read it. The one and only thing I like about it is that it's something different. We've been doing the same thing for 16 years. Something different might be nice.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-30-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 03:42 PM   #1090
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Okay I read it. The one and only thing I like about it is that it's something different. We've been doing the same thing for 16 years. Something different might be nice.
We could try...leaving?
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-30-17, 04:31 PM   #1091
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
We could try...leaving?
Oil and heroin. We ain't going anywhere.
Old 08-30-17, 04:34 PM   #1092
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Oil and heroin. We ain't going anywhere.
I'm just saying if the thing to do is something different, let's try GTFO.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-30-17, 04:35 PM   #1093
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'm just saying if the thing to do is something different, let's try GTFO.

But oil and heroin. I agree to GTFO, but we leave the $$$$$$$$$$$ behind if we do -- meaning that there's no leaving, unfortunately.

Old 08-30-17, 04:54 PM   #1094
Time Lord

Quote:
We could try...leaving?
Leave and send in the army corps of engineers to rebuild all the infrastructure we've destroyed, free of charge.
Old 08-30-17, 08:27 PM   #1095
DVD Talk Hero

Sigh ... mods, I guess we need a title change.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 08-30-17, 11:40 PM   #1096
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The one and only thing I like about it is that it's something different. We've been doing the same thing for 16 years. Something different might be nice.
That's how we got the current idiot in the White House.
Old 08-31-17, 10:10 PM   #1097
DVD Talk Legend

In regards to presidents we haven't been doing the same thing for 16 years.
Old 09-01-17, 01:31 AM   #1098
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saying that we got "something different."
Old 09-01-17, 05:39 AM   #1099
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
The British spell realize with a s instead of a z.
Yes, but they lost the war, so their spelling doesn't count.