Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-08-08, 10:54 PM   #1
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

What is the possibility that this could happen?

First off, I did contemplate putting this in Presidential Election Thread but this isn't really about the actual election, just a speculative idea that I thought would be better served in it's own thread.

What is the possibility of a McCain/Clinton ticket?

I actually think this is what they are going for. First off, John McCain has often referred to Abraham Lincoln in his speeches, saying over and over again that he is of the same party of Abraham Lincoln. Why does he keep on referencing Lincoln? There are plenty of famous Republicans he could invoke.

Back in 2004, John McCain wanted to be on the same ticket with John Kerry. McCain is all about the bipartisanship. This is why Ann Coulter hates him, because it is feared he is not true red.

McCain has yet to announce a running mate. Sure, he may be waiting for the convention, I guess that would make sense. Or is he just waiting to see how the Obama/Clinton campaigns turn out? Could he be biding his time, waiting in the wings to pull Clinton in to share the ticket with him?

McCain is always invoking the name of Lincoln, as I said. In 1964, Lincoln asked his VP Hannibal Hamlin to step aside and he got war Democrat Andrew Jackson to share the ticket with him. At the National Republican Convention, it was declared they would run under the "Union" party. The election came and McClellan/Pendleton, the Democratic ticket, did not stand a chance; it was a landslide victory for Lincoln in a Regan v. Mondale kind of way.

I really believe this is what McCain wants. As for Hillary...I guess we will see, but she seems bent on staying in this and is causing greater and greater dissent in the Democratic party, dissent that would only work to her favor if she agreed to become John McCain's running mate. Obama could pick anybody he wants to be his running mate, and there would be no defeating the McCain/Clinton ticket. I would even cringe to see the VP debates; Hillary would eat Obama's VP for lunch.

So McCain/Clinton takes office as of the inauguration in 2009. McCain may only term for four years and then bow down, leaving Hillary in a prefect position to snag the presidency in 2012. Or McCain dies in office, either due to natural causes or Bill's goons taking him out and she gains the presidency that way.

Hillary may not be thinking of this now, but if McCain makes his case to her, she would see it as a win/win. But I do believe Hillary is thinking of this, and knows it will happen.
Old 05-08-08, 10:59 PM   #2
chowderhead
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

no way, no day. the conservative right is already somewhat suspicious of McCain. No way, he can get away with picking someone as polarizing and antagonistic to the right as Clinton. It would be murder-suicide. Besides, McCain has to pick a good VeeP because at his age, there is a chance he may only serve one term if elected.

Edit: Lieberman is the only possible quasi-Democrat and that is until the Republicans find out about his social and economic views.
Old 05-08-08, 11:01 PM   #3
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

I would hate it if it did happen, but it would be hilarious seeing Ann Coulter have an aneurysm on live TV.
Old 05-08-08, 11:16 PM   #4
slateef
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will Never Happen.
Old 05-08-08, 11:17 PM   #5
mhg83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Obama was gonna be Clintons running mate?
Old 05-09-08, 01:10 AM   #6
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

No chance. And if Obama chooses Clinton as his VP, he might be found with a kinfe in his back besides a suicide note.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 05-09-08, 01:14 AM   #7
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

I give it a 99.9% chance!
Spoiler:
Of not happening.
Old 05-09-08, 05:48 AM   #8
Groucho

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 05-09-08, 07:22 AM   #9
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Beyond the absurdity of defecting to the GOP (even though I've stated on numerous occasions that I don't think Hillary is much different than a modern-day Republican), why do so many people think Hillary Clinton would prefer to be VP than remain in the Senate where she can wield much more power and influence particularly as one of the leaders of the majority party?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-09-08, 07:40 AM   #10
VinVega
Administrator

Others here have given the proper reasons why it won't happen (McCain needing turnout of the Conservative base and the absolute hatred of the Clintons by the Conservative base). I'm in agreement with them.
Old 05-09-08, 07:41 AM   #11
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I would hate it if it did happen, but it would be hilarious seeing Ann Coulter have an aneurysm on live TV.
Agree.

Old 05-09-08, 09:14 AM   #12
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Is ths thread really meant to be serious?

Even if hell froze over - it wouldn't happen.
Old 05-09-08, 09:17 AM   #13
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
I certainly hope not.
Quote:
Even if hell froze over - it wouldn't happen.
Exactly.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 05-09-08, 09:52 AM   #14
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

What if Obama and McCain each agree to pick the other as their VP?

What if Ron Paul picks Thomas Jefferson?

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 05-09-08, 09:56 AM   #15
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
What if Obama and McCain each agree to pick the other as their VP?
Great idea. Obama could be president on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, McCain on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and they could alternate Sundays! As ridiculous as it sounds, it's no more ridiculous than the subject of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
What if Ron Paul picks Thomas Jefferson?
Would never happen. Jefferson liked Black people too much.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 05-09-08, 09:58 AM   #16
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Great idea. Obama could be president on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, McCain on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and they could alternate Sundays! As ridiculous as it sounds, it's no more ridiculous than the subject of this thread.
Such a h8ter.
Old 05-09-08, 11:41 AM   #17
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

It's funny that some people have said Hillary and Obama are pretty much the same thing in a different package.... and now we hear that Hillary and McCain really aren't that different... and yet, Obama allegedly represents something completely opposite of McCain... my head hurts.

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 05-09-08, 04:37 PM   #18
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
why do so many people think Hillary Clinton would prefer to be VP than remain in the Senate where she can wield much more power and influence particularly as one of the leaders of the majority party?
That was always why I thought she shouldn't run for president in the first place.
Old 05-09-08, 10:29 PM   #19
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It is meant to be speculative, that is all. But people have been discussing this topic in the blogosphere for several months now.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Beyond the absurdity of defecting to the GOP
Nobody discussing this topic elsewhere is even proposing that Hillary would turn GOP. She'd remain true blue...it would be a bi-partisan ticket. It happened once before in history, what is to say it couldn't happen again? Andrew Jackson didn't become Republican, he was a Democrat who became a Republican's VP. I bet Hannibal Hamlin thought it was absurd at the time as well. And they didn't run in the general election as Democratic or Republican...they ran as the Union Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
Others here have given the proper reasons why it won't happen (McCain needing turnout of the Conservative base and the absolute hatred of the Clintons by the Conservative base). I'm in agreement with them.
McCain would still have his supporters, albeit few, in the Conservative base. But he's facing running with another GOP candidate for his running mate in a nation where 70%+ disapprove of the current Conservative government in control of the White House. He knows his prospects are grim. So he either accepts his role in this as the sacrificial lamb for the GOP or he makes a gutsy move and asks Hillary to be his VP. Hillary would have her strong base of supporters from all the big states she says she won and claims Obama could never win, and let's be realistic: there are people out there who will NEVER vote for Obama, some for obvious reasons and some for not so obvious reasons. Democrats who would sit out in 2008's general election if he gets the nomination might turn out in droves for a McCain/Clinton Union ticket.

It probably won't happen, but given McCain's track record and how he wanted to be Kerry's VP in 2004, I really think he's biding his time and going to propose it to Hillary at some point in time. It may not happen, but I bet McCain wants it to.
Old 05-10-08, 08:01 AM   #20
GreenMonkey
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think this kind of bipartisanship died about a century ago.

If anything you'd see a McCain / Lieberman ticket. The Rs are welcome to take him.

McCain invokes Lincoln because he is widely regarded as one of the best presidents and he was a Republican. Back when being a Republican meant something totally different than it does now, but hey, what does that matter?
"The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see; and in that record you can find yourself and your country both examples and warnings; fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through, to avoid." - Livy

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-10-08 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 08:12 AM   #21
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I think Lieberman might be interested in the VP spot if he was reasonably certain that McCain was going to win in November.

Why all this hostility toward Lieberman?
Old 05-10-08, 08:19 AM   #22
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I think this kind of bipartisanship died about a century ago.

If anything you'd see a McCain / Lieberman ticket. The Rs are welcome to take him.
So you're a fan of bipartisanship then?
Old 05-10-08, 08:25 AM   #23
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Lieberman as VP. Just when I thought my chances of voting McCain couldn't get any lower.

Quote:
Nobody discussing this topic elsewhere is even proposing that Hillary would turn GOP.
That's what it effectively is. She would need to be nominated at the GOP convention and approved. That has zero chance of happening.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-10-08, 08:47 AM   #24
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Haven't you been paying attention the last 5 or so years?
Old 05-10-08, 08:48 AM   #25
GreenMonkey
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

Mainly his anti-videogame and pro-Iraq war stances for me. Doesn't help that he lost his primary and he's basically kept in office by Republicans voting lesser-of-two-evils.
"The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see; and in that record you can find yourself and your country both examples and warnings; fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through, to avoid." - Livy

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-10-08 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links