Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-16-08, 10:36 AM   #76
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Imagine that.

But hey, if it means another chance at making fun of Democrats in the most juvenile way possible, why follow the rules?

Yeah! But some of these Democats deserve it, like.....

“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-16-08, 10:38 AM   #77
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedagogue

Yup.

Screw Tibet!
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-16-08, 10:41 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Yeah! But some of these Democats deserve it, like.....
Agreed.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-16-08, 02:53 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-16-08, 03:06 PM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Go for it -- that's why I spoilerized it. It's actually a relatively difficult puzzle.
It is a 1040 after all... btw...
Spoiler:
Old 04-16-08, 10:47 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-18-08, 12:41 PM   #82
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Old 04-18-08, 12:43 PM   #83
DVD Talk Godfather

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 04-18-08, 12:49 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman
OK, that's absolutely fucking hilarious.
Old 04-18-08, 01:36 PM   #85
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
Now thats funny, or maybe poignant.
Old 04-18-08, 06:06 PM   #86
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
This one reportedly won a pulitzer:

another in the same vein:

while I'm at it ;p

I'm definitely bookmarking this site.

A healthy sense of variety.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 04-18-08 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 06:10 PM   #87
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
This one's just for Vandelay Inds since there has been a lot about Venezuela/FARC in open source lately since the Colombians bombed that Ecuadorean camp (not that you'd know it from US newspapers).

A healthy sense of variety.
Old 04-18-08, 08:43 PM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim

while I'm at it ;p

I'm definitely bookmarking this site.

Those are brilliant! Thanks for the site
Old 04-24-08, 01:09 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-24-08, 02:12 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

JasonF trivia fact: Political cartoonist Jen Sorenson was a casual acquaintance of mine in college.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 04-24-08, 06:15 PM   #91
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I have to comment that the best political cartoons have very little writing and can give the message instantly. The ones that are multi paneled are a league below(IMO).

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 04-24-08, 08:19 PM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
I have to comment that the best political cartoons have very little writing and can give the message instantly. The ones that are multi paneled are a league below(IMO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shakespeare
Brevity is the soul of wit
Old 04-30-08, 10:19 AM   #93
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 04-30-08, 10:38 AM   #94
DVD Talk Godfather

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 04-30-08, 03:32 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-30-08, 03:44 PM   #96
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim

We use genetically engineered corn, so their governments wouldnt' take it anyway. But I agree that the corn in your gas thing is having some terrible consequences.

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-30-08, 03:47 PM   #97
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Reminds me of School House Rock

The one thing I wish people could do nationally is come to an agreement on recession and depression definitions. Isn't a recession defined as two quarters of negative growth in a row? We haven't even had one yet, and I've heard people talking recession for the past 2 years.

I don't care if we define it to a much easier threshold, but I wish we were consitent so we all had a basis for comparison when we spoke about it.

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-30-08, 06:25 PM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 05-01-08, 07:08 AM   #99
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
The one thing I wish people could do nationally is come to an agreement on recession and depression definitions. Isn't a recession defined as two quarters of negative growth in a row? We haven't even had one yet, and I've heard people talking recession for the past 2 years.

I don't care if we define it to a much easier threshold, but I wish we were consitent so we all had a basis for comparison when we spoke about it.
According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
In the US, the judgment of the business-cycle dating committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research regarding the exact dating of recessions is generally accepted. The NBER has a more general framework for judging recessions:
A recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales. A recession begins just after the economy reaches a peak of activity and ends as the economy reaches its trough.
The problem is that NBER tries to be so accurate that their announcements come years after the fact. Look at this page for example: http://www.nber.org/cycles.html

"The November 2001 trough was announced July 17, 2003."

Technically, as soon as they assign a peak, we're in a recession. Since we've already hit that peak, we're in a recession. We just don't know when it started. (My guess: sometime in the last 18 months).

I guess people think of the recession as the "negative" times: that is, the time when we're in the trough, so to speak. The NBER looks at it in the term of cycles, and an expansionary cycle starts while we may still be in a macroeconomic depression.

I think personal outlook is just as important as what the media / institutes / the government says. You don't need the BOR to tell you how sales are going in your area: you know. Same thing with the economy. I think this data is more useful for journalists, business people doing long-term planning, and internet wannabe eggheads discussing economic minutiae.

Old 05-02-08, 02:09 PM   #100
DVD Talk Limited Edition