Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-17-08, 09:19 PM   #1
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Another chance to s****** at FEMA

CDC tests confirm FEMA trailers are toxic

By Mike Brunker
Projects Team editor
MSNBC
updated 5:23 p.m. MT, Thurs., Feb. 14, 2008

More than two years after residents of FEMA trailers deployed along the Mississippi Gulf Coast began complaining of breathing difficulties, nosebleeds and persistent headaches, U.S. health officials announced Thursday that long-awaited government tests found potentially hazardous levels of toxic formaldehyde gas in both travel trailers and mobile homes provided by the agency.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, which requested the testing by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said it would work aggressively to relocate all residents of the temporary housing as soon as possible.

Levels of formaldehyde gas in 519 trailer and mobile homes tested in Louisiana and Mississippi were ó on average ó about five times what people are exposed to in most modern homes, the CDC reported. In some trailers, the levels were nearly 40 times customary exposure levels, raising fears that residents could suffer respiratory problems and potentially other long-term health effects, it said.

At a news conference Thursday in New Orleans, CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding urged FEMA to relocate residents before summer, when heat would be expected to cause the formaldehyde levels to increase, with priority given to families with children, elderly people or anyone with asthma or other chronic conditions.

FEMA Director David Paulison, who also spoke at the news conference, said he believed his agency could meet that goal despite a shortage of affordable housing plaguing areas of the Gulf Coast afflicted by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.

The whole story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23168160/
Old 02-17-08, 09:23 PM   #2
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ahhhhh .. the government at its best.
Old 02-17-08, 09:26 PM   #3
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

That asterisking makes my title look racist. Thanks loads. *grump*
Old 02-17-08, 09:50 PM   #4
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

2 years in a FEMA trailer? Get a f***ing job you bums!

BTW, what is the 's' word?
Old 02-17-08, 10:17 PM   #5
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

It's like "snicker" only snider.
Old 02-17-08, 10:36 PM   #6
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

2 years is pretty good. For Government standards.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 02-18-08, 07:23 AM   #7
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
CDC tests confirm FEMA trailers are toxic

Were FEMA trailers special ordered to have high levels of toxins to kill poor people?

This report makes me wonder about the entire industry making RVs, travel trailers, mobile homes, etc. Is anybody checking that those products comply with the law, even when not ordered by FEMA.

If anybody knows of any special FEMA requirements that make the problem unique to a trailor ordered by FEMA, please document it.
Old 02-18-08, 08:46 AM   #8
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if they bought them from China?
Old 02-18-08, 09:05 AM   #9
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, the bigger issue is WHY there are toxic levels of gases in theses trailers/MH's. It's not like the goverment built these themself. They bought them brand new from the trailer and MH companies. I was in couple (not to live) and there didn't seem to be anything wrong...they were all brand new.

Course I recently read an article in Mens Health that the new car smell we all love also has issues. So maybe all these things just need to be aired out before use?

I mean if these have toxic levels of gases wouldn't all trailers and MH's made that people are buying every day all across the country have the same issue? Far as I know the goverment didn't go in and add anything themself to that would effect the trailer.

Home Theater Build
Old 02-18-08, 09:08 AM   #10
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

True, but aiming criticism at FEMA is "in". Never confuse "the new journalism" with integrity or logic.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 02-18-08, 10:45 AM   #11
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Dammit, their plan is probably foiled now. Sure, we can hope that most will die because of the exposure over a few years, but the plan was to make them suffer for at least another 2-3 years.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-18-08, 10:56 AM   #12
Groucho

Quote:
Snigga, please!

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 02-18-08, 11:21 AM   #13
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
You're fucking kidding me. So if a word contains a string that makes up a different "naughty" word, it gets censored? How ridiculous.
Old 02-18-08, 11:31 AM   #14
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Once while playing poker online, someone commented that his profession was a ***eler. I thought that was funny.
Old 02-18-08, 12:13 PM   #15
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Did it really censor "s******"? Eliza Doolittle could not post here, apparently.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-18-08, 12:13 PM   #16
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Stupidest censor EVER!!!

Old 02-18-08, 12:15 PM   #17
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

That is freaking AWESOME!!! Before, I would have read it as just a word which means "to laugh" but now I can't think of anything but the dreaded N-word. Well done!
Old 03-02-08, 12:50 PM   #18
foggy

I imagine that it wouldn't have a problem with niggardly because of the difference in spelling, for all the good that did Mitt Romney.
Old 03-02-08, 01:36 PM   #19
darkessenz
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm