Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-22-07, 06:22 PM   #1
mrpayroll

Ariz. school suspends 13 yr old boy for sketching gun

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...n_N.htm?csp=34

Quote:
MESA, Ariz. (AP) ó School officials suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching what looked like a gun, saying the action posed a threat to his classmates.

The boy's parents said the drawing was a harmless doodle and school officials overreacted.

"The school made him feel like he committed a crime. They are doing more damage than good," said the boy's mother, Paula Mosteller.

The drawing did not show blood, bullets, injuries or target any human, the parents said. And the East Valley Tribune reported that the boy said he didn't intend for the picture to be a threat.

Administrators of Payne Junior High in nearby Chandler suspended the boy on Monday for five days but later reduced it to three days.

The boy's father, Ben Mosteller, said that when he went to the school to discuss his son's punishment, school officials mentioned the seriousness of the issue and talked about the massacre at Colorado's Columbine High School, where two teenagers shot and killed 12 students, a teacher and themselves in 1999. Mosteller said he was offended by the reference.

Chandler district spokesman Terry Locke said the crude sketch was "absolutely considered a threat," and that threatening words or pictures are punishable.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Posted 3h ago
I'm going to stick this story in here, per this thread. But I swear, if I don't get any responses, it's back to The Other for me.

I think the school's reaction is a little overkill.

Chris
Old 08-22-07, 06:26 PM   #2
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

This would never have happened in Svalbard

Here's a little tip for kids and for parents to tell their kids.. Keep the talk, drawings, and references to guns and bombs out of your school. Is it really that hard to get through the day without them?

And yes the school over-reacted.

Last edited by General Zod; 08-22-07 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 06:29 PM   #3
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Around here, they figure it is hunting season.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 08-22-07, 06:35 PM   #4
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
hell, I used to draw out full battle scenes across the tops and margins in my notebooks while taking notes
Old 08-22-07, 08:10 PM   #5
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Once again cartoons are to blame!
Old 08-22-07, 08:12 PM   #6
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehunt
hell, I used to draw out full battle scenes across the tops and margins in my notebooks while taking notes
I did flipbook sketches of gory sword and gunfights in my notebooks.

To date I have never shot up a school.
Old 08-22-07, 08:20 PM   #7
porieux
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is the kind of sick treatment that fucks up kids minds.

If I were the parents I would keep the kid the hell out of that school, which is clearly run by psychopaths.
Last.fm
Old 08-22-07, 08:30 PM   #8
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
I did flipbook sketches of gory sword and gunfights in my notebooks.

To date I have never shot up a school.
To date.
Old 08-22-07, 09:09 PM   #9
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

maybe his classmate had drawn a picture of a polar bear?
Old 08-22-07, 10:20 PM   #10
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Quote:
Originally Posted by porieux
This is the kind of sick treatment that fucks up kids minds.

If I were the parents I would keep the kid the hell out of that school, which is clearly run by psychopaths.
Old 08-22-07, 10:30 PM   #11
stingermck
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shit. Ive been saying for years I would be kicked out of HS nowadays. Its only been 10 years since HS, but me (and others) did some crazy stuff in our art classes. We'd probably be locked up now.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
My Batgirl site http://batgirlarchives.8m.com/
Old 08-23-07, 12:15 AM   #12
yakuza70

It's sad that it's come to this. I agree, the school did seem to overreact even though I'm sure we don't know the entire story. However, you can bet the uproar that would occur if this kid ever did become violent with a gun. I can hear the critics saying "There were signs! He drew pictures of guns in school or god's sake! Why wasn't anything done? The schools are incompetent!"
Old 08-23-07, 12:39 AM   #13
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

What's next?

Giving police authority to shoot kids on site for making a gun with their fingers and pointing them at people, yelling, "Bang!"

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-23-07, 12:58 AM   #14
DonnachaOne
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: A place where they know how to pronounce "Donnacha" correctly
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
What's next?

Giving police authority to shoot kids on site for making a gun with their fingers and pointing them at people, yelling, "Bang!"

"You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart for that to work..."
Old 08-23-07, 09:44 AM   #15
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

lesson of the story is if you draw a gun, draw a wild animal in front of it
Old 08-23-07, 11:49 AM   #16
wendersfan

I would have been suspended every day, along with just about every other boy in my school.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 08-23-07, 12:03 PM   #17
achau9598
DVD Talk Limited Edition

an image of the drawing has been released

Last edited by achau9598; 08-23-07 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 12:12 PM   #18
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70
It's sad that it's come to this. I agree, the school did seem to overreact even though I'm sure we don't know the entire story. However, you can bet the uproar that would occur if this kid ever did become violent with a gun. I can hear the critics saying "There were signs! He drew pictures of guns in school or god's sake! Why wasn't anything done? The schools are incompetent!"
Absolutely. After the Columbine shootings there were talk that they used to talk about guns, draw photos, etc.. why didn't the school do something? Why didn't they know they were a danger?

Then when the schools take proactive action they get blasted for it. People in this country love to have things both ways.

I think an appropriate thing to have done here is to call in the parents and speak with them about it to make sure their kid didn't have some fascination with guns and the like.. and leave it at that unless there are other signs down the road. I don't think a suspension was necessary. But, like you say, we are only really hearing one side of this story..
Old 08-23-07, 01:22 PM   #19
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
Absolutely. After the Columbine shootings there were talk that they used to talk about guns, draw photos, etc.. why didn't the school do something? Why didn't they know they were a danger?

Then when the schools take proactive action they get blasted for it. People in this country love to have things both ways.

I think an appropriate thing to have done here is to call in the parents and speak with them about it to make sure their kid didn't have some fascination with guns and the like.. and leave it at that unless there are other signs down the road. I don't think a suspension was necessary. But, like you say, we are only really hearing one side of this story..
Whenever people say that kind of stuff, I don't know why the response is never "millions of kids for generations have drawn guns and not killed anyone. You probably did it at some point in your life. There are far more factors than a drawing of a gun."

Now, if he had drawn a gun pointed at a picture of his principal with his brains blown out, I could understand a parent-teacher conference. But zero-tolerance removes this need, as everything is against the rules.

Here's an example: my real name is Christian, which is what I've always gone by. I had a teacher in 2nd grade who didn't like writing it out, and wanted me to shorten it. So I wrote "Christ" at the top of my papers...wasn't trying to be a smartass, I honestly didn't know what she meant. They called my parents about it (my dad's a minister and my mom's also a teacher and they both got a big kick out of it since my teacher was being such a bitch about the whole thing.) They talked about it, resolved it with me and that was that.

Why that couldn't happen here is beyond me. If they are legitimately concerned about the safety of the school, they should have called the parents in and discussed the situation. That way, if he DOES shoot up the school, the school officials can point to the fact they talked to the parents about the "warning signs" and the parents chose to ignore them.

Or sent the kid to Norway.