Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-07, 11:01 AM   #26
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I don't actually believe that you can win the hearts and minds of most of them, nor do I believe you can have an exchange of ideas when they will just fatwah you ass for drawing a cartoon or writing a book (was it a minority of Islam that was outraged by those?).

I think that mentality is exactly the same as the mentality that got us into Iraq. We didn't figure in the "culture" enough. There is no seperation of church and state in Islam.

The only way for this to get "fixed" is for moderate Muslims to take care of their extremist "minority." I don't believe they have the will, nor do I think they heavily oppose them. Nor do I think it is a minority.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

Old 06-26-07, 11:03 AM   #27
classicman2
DVD Talk God

My solution (not a good one):

1. Kick the living hell out of those that attempt to do this country harm, with concentration of their leaders.

2. Stay the hell out of their fighting between themselves. Let them solve their problems.

Old 06-26-07, 11:10 AM   #28
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2

2. Stay the hell out of their fighting between themselves. Let them solve their problems.
That seems to be a double edged sword though because sometimes when we don't get involved in these issues it's said the US doesn't care and people get pissed off at us because of that.

Overall I think what's going on between Gaza and the West Bank is going to be a good indicator of what's going to happen in the larger Muslim world.

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2444 days 23 hours 25 minutes

Old 06-26-07, 11:15 AM   #29
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Trying to win the hearts and minds of extremists is useless. You need to support the moderates. However, it's difficult to do that when you consistently show so little understanding of their history, religion and culture.

Old 06-26-07, 11:20 AM   #30
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
My solution (not a good one):

1. Kick the living hell out of those that attempt to do this country harm, with concentration of their leaders.

Old 06-26-07, 11:23 AM   #31
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I wouldn't go to an Islamic country if you paid me a billion dollars.
I'd love to go to Istanbul.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)

Old 06-26-07, 11:27 AM   #32
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan

Yep. I'd love to go to Turkey, Egypt, Morroco, Dubai, etc.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Old 06-26-07, 11:32 AM   #33
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Trying to win the hearts and minds of extremists is useless. You need to support the moderates. However, it's difficult to do that when you consistently show so little understanding of their history, religion and culture.
And when the moderates don't seem to want to be associated with you.

And why do we always have to understand them but don't expect a little understanding in return?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

Old 06-26-07, 11:41 AM   #34
classicman2
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
I lived in Istanbul quite a few years ago.

I'd also love to return to the UAE next late February or early March. I'd like to see the running of the World Cup again.

Old 06-26-07, 11:47 AM   #35
adamblast
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't pay me a million dollars to visit any Islamic country either. And I guess I have nothing to add to this discussion, because while I feel individual Muslims deserve human decency and respect, I think most "Islamophobia" is very well-deserved.

Old 06-26-07, 11:48 AM   #36
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
And why do we always have to understand them but don't expect a little understanding in return?
Silly kvrdave You should know this is because Americans are always in the wrong and the ones who need to change their ways...

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2444 days 23 hours 25 minutes

Old 06-26-07, 12:05 PM   #37
GreenMonkey
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris

Americans don't care about other countries' culture, religion, history, etc. Just what Paris Hilton or [insert movie star here] is doing this week and who is going to win American Idol.

Look, I'd love to see countries converted to secular democracies. As an agnostic/atheist skeptical type, I vastly prefer secular democracy. Vastly.

It's a very unrealistic goal, though, given that a vast majority of people there don't actually want secular democracy. At best they want democracy so they can oppress the minority.

The best you're going to get out of most of these countries would be a pseudo-democracy that is very corrupt and probably oppresses various minorities. Like a lot of 3rd world 'democracies'.

I'm with classicman. Enforcing democracy at the point of a gun is nigh-impossible without a few decades of iron-fisted military occupation - and I don't think the benefits of that are worth the costs in human lives (both ours and theirs). Our efforts could be best spent on crushing any terrorist criminals who attempt to harm us and leaving the folks that want to kill each other alone.

Democracy needs to come from within, not from without.
"The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see; and in that record you can find yourself and your country both examples and warnings; fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through, to avoid." - Livy

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-26-07 at 12:17 PM.

Old 06-26-07, 12:10 PM   #38
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Americans don't care about other countries' culture, religion, history, etc. Just what Paris Hilton or [insert movie star here] is doing this week and who is going to win American Idol.
Which country should we emulate with how they care about other countries' culture, religion, etc?

Old 06-26-07, 12:13 PM   #39
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe we hold our selves to a certain standard no matter what other countries/cultures do

Old 06-26-07, 12:18 PM   #40
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
Maybe we hold our selves to a certain standard no matter what other countries/cultures do
That's kooky talk.

Old 06-26-07, 12:29 PM   #41
GreenMonkey
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Which country should we emulate with how they care about other countries' culture, religion, etc?
It think it is a general problem, but Americans aren't exactly trailing the pack as far as 1st world countries that are ignorant of foreign events, geography, etc.
"The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see; and in that record you can find yourself and your country both examples and warnings; fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through, to avoid." - Livy

Old 06-26-07, 12:39 PM   #42
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Vatican City

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega

Old 06-26-07, 12:51 PM   #43
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein
IMHO it's not nearly vocal or stringent enough. Part of that is the way Islam is organized. There are very few recognized leaders in the world and the majority of those are on the extremist's side. So far we've seen very little IMHO of the Islamic world out protesting what the extremists are doing. Sure there's some lip service occasionally, but if the extremists can organize tens of thousands of people to protest cartoons why is it so hard for the moderates to organize hundreds of thousands to protest the actions of the extremists (if it is as we are being lead to believe the majority of Muslims are moderates)?
I agree with this point. I don't want to make it seem as if the United States is 100% to blame for militant Islamic jiihad, nor do I want to absolve us of any guilt. But the major impetus for change needs to come from the Muslim people. I agree that there needs to be more moderate Muslim leaders speaking out -- the vast majority of Muslims don't want war, or bloodshed, or terrorist bombings. There is nothing inherently violent or evil in Islam. But in an environment where the loudest voice wins the argument, moderate Muslims tend to get shouted out a bit too often.

The Official Cabinet

Old 06-26-07, 12:57 PM   #44
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I've posted in the past that the so-called "small minority" isn't really that small when so many Moslems living in the UK thought suicide bombing civilian targets was justified. That is in a country that is trying to "understand" them and bending over backwards(or forwards grabbing their ankles) so as not to offend them.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah

Old 06-26-07, 01:02 PM   #45
adamblast
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
the vast majority of Muslims don't want war, or bloodshed, or terrorist bombings. There is nothing inherently violent or evil in Islam.
I would love for this to be true. Yet their doctrines and holy books, as commonly interpreted by their own peoples around the world, promote death for non-believers and a culture of martyrdom and terrorism. When not in power, they are against everyone else. When in power, they turn against themselves.

Old 06-26-07, 01:09 PM   #46
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamblast
I would love for this to be true. Yet their doctrines and holy books, as commonly interpreted by their own peoples around the world, promote death for non-believers and a culture of martyrdom and terrorism. When not in power, they are against everyone else. When in power, they turn against themselves.
I agree with this sentiment completely. And yet, I would argue that we should still allow Christians to live in our society.

The Official Cabinet

Old 06-26-07, 01:11 PM   #47
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I agree with this sentiment completely. And yet, I would argue that we should still allow Christians to live in our society.
Ah, the real reason for you posting this thread comes out: so you can attack Christians. Have fun attacking them.
But remember, in the Koran, it is specifically spelled out that true moslems must kill and persecute non-moslems. Then those true moslems are also free to persecute the moslem "hypocrites"(the ones who don't participate in the killing and persecution of non-moslems.)

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah

Old 06-26-07, 01:12 PM   #48
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
We seem to understand that blowing up people is not what God wants.

But, in the interest of Christian bashing, bring forth the Old Testament quotes.

Old 06-26-07, 01:14 PM   #49
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, it took 46 posts to get to the standard Christian deflection? You guys are slipping.

Old 06-26-07, 01:19 PM   #50
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
as others said, this was expected, but it doesn't go along with the post you quoted:

Quote:
Yet their doctrines and holy books, as commonly interpreted by their own peoples around the world, promote death for non-believers and a culture of martyrdom and terrorism.
martyrdom is the only thing that is commonly interpreted from Christian scriptures.

Sponsored Links
Closed Thread