Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-16-06, 03:59 PM   #1
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Lawyer gets 28 months jail for aiding terrorism

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22
Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York attorney convicted of aiding terrorism by helping a client smuggle messages to militant followers was sentenced on Monday to 28 months in prison.

Lynne Stewart, 67, was convicted in February 2005 of helping her imprisoned client, Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman, to contact the Islamic Group, which is listed by the U.S. government as a terrorist organization.

Prosecutors said messages Stewart passed on for Abdel-Rahman could have ignited violence in Egypt. The sheikh was convicted in 1995 of conspiring to attack U.S. targets in a plot prosecutors said included the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

Stewart, long a defender of the poor and unpopular, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge John Koeltl in Manhattan federal court. Her supporters rallied outside the courthouse chanting and carrying banners.

The civil rights lawyer has defended her actions, saying she was only zealously representing her client.

Tagged as both heroine and radical leftist, Stewart is the only U.S. lawyer to be indicted on terrorism charges. Some observers said the case stemmed from Bush administration efforts to discourage the defense of accused terrorists.

Since her 2002 indictment, Stewart has spoken at rallies, endured a seven-month trial, been convicted, undergone treatment for cancer and become the subject of a documentary called "Who's Afraid of Lynne Stewart?"
28 months is way too lenient for aiding and abbetting terrorists.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 10-16-06, 04:19 PM   #2
Binger

We should charge her with treason and fry her.
Old 10-16-06, 04:25 PM   #3
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Notice how the story tries to paint her as a victim.

Old 10-16-06, 04:32 PM   #4
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Notice how the story tries to paint her as a victim.
Say it isn't so. The media? Trying to paint a terrorist conspirator as a victim? That just dosen't happen in the press. They are so balanced. They don't have an agenda.

Ducks head for the onslaught of "but Fox news" comments. Before those start let me say, we have one, you have hundreds.
Old 10-16-06, 04:34 PM   #5
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. She got off light.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 10-16-06, 04:39 PM   #6
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Feminist must love her plea for leniency: basically that she is a woman and therefore cannot control her emotions.

Old 10-16-06, 04:54 PM   #7
Geofferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Feminist must love her plea for leniency: basically that she is a woman and therefore cannot control her emotions.
More importantly that her emotions are always right.
Old 10-16-06, 05:12 PM   #8
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
Link, please.
Old 10-16-06, 05:25 PM   #9
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.nysun.com/article/41600
Quote:
She and her allies are pinning their hopes for leniency on a strategy that argues she became so emotionally involved in the sheik's case that she acted irrationally ó a strategy that is underpinned by a sealed letter to the court from a psychiatrist.
There's a 3 page article at the link

Old 10-16-06, 05:26 PM   #10
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Man, what the hell was she thinking?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 10-16-06, 05:34 PM   #11
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

I heard an interview with her this morning. She said she thought it was similiar to an attorney passing a message to a family member.
Old 10-16-06, 05:38 PM   #12
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I heard an interview with her this morning. She said she thought it was similiar to an attorney passing a message to a family member.
Well, assuming I become an Islamic terrorist, my family would probably disown me, so my new Jihadist brothers would in many respects be my new family, so yeah I see the point.

Without knowing anything about this case at all before reading this blurb 30 minutes ago, 28 months seems awfully light.
Old 10-16-06, 06:08 PM   #13
IMRICKJAMES
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its funny. Before I even knew who she was and had just seen a picture of her I thought "liberal nut." She just had that image, that aura....and I was totally right!
Old 10-16-06, 06:15 PM   #14
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
Its funny. Before I even knew who she was and had just seen a picture of her I thought "liberal nut." She just had that image, that aura....and I was totally right!
That was helpful.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 10-16-06, 06:18 PM   #15
Oraphus
DVD Talk Special Edition

put her i front of an Israeli bulldoser and see if she can escape..

it can be made in to a TV show... i'd watch it.
Old 10-16-06, 08:24 PM   #16
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure you would. J6P Entertainment at its best. Maybe we can have The Cable Guy and Jeff Foxworthy host the clips!

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 10-17-06, 12:17 AM   #17
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'm sure you would. J6P Entertainment at its best. Maybe we can have The Cable Guy and Jeff Foxworthy host the clips!
This was a good point until you mentioned Larry The Cable Guy and Jeff Foxworthy. But now I want to watch it.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 10-17-06, 12:23 AM   #18
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Unlike the comics with Bush Derangement Syndrome, those two guys can make me laugh just by telling me what goes on in their daily lives.

Old 10-17-06, 12:32 AM   #19
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Thank god she didn't get caught with some pot...she would have had to do some hard time. Ya know..."The War on Drugs".

-p
Old 10-18-06, 02:53 AM   #20
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

All joking aside, the slap on the wrist for a serious crime is pathetic. She should have gotten enough time to die in jail.

Old 10-18-06, 05:59 AM   #21
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
All joking aside, the slap on the wrist for a serious crime is pathetic. She should have gotten enough time to die in jail.
I actually agree with that. What would she have had to actually do to get real time? Have an attack based on the information she passed along?
Old 10-18-06, 12:17 PM   #22
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

28 months is a complete joke. She deserves to rot in jail. Her lawyers argued that because she has breast cancer any jail time for her would be a death sentence - let us hope someone was being honest for a change.
Old 09-26-07, 04:18 PM   #23
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298141,00.html
Quote:

Lawyer Sentenced for Terror Support to Teach at N.Y. University Conference
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. ó

A disbarred lawyer convicted of helping her client communicate with terrorists was scheduled to teach at a Long Island, N.Y., law school ethics conference, FederalReview.com reported.

Lynne Stewart, who was convicted in 2005 of providing material support to terrorists and received a 28-month sentence, was to speak at Hofstra Law Schoolís legal ethics conference, set for Oct. 14 to Oct. 16.

Click here for the full story at FederalReview.com.

Her former client, sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman, was sentenced to life in prison for plotting to blow up five New York landmarks and assassinate Egypt's president.

According to Hofstraís Web site, conference speakers were expected to discuss "prosecutorial abuse, the challenges of representing prisoners at Guantanamo and attacks on lawyers who represent unpopular clients and causes."

Perfect person to talk to lawyers about ethics.