Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-06, 01:56 AM   #1
bhome83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 538
anyone catch bill o'reily tonight celebrating 10 yrs of fox news?

i can't stand the guy at all, but his show is interesting every now and then. he showed some clips tonight of encounters he has had over the yrs with liberal guests. funny stuff. He gets so incensed at people and shuts them out so quickly. is anyone here actual a fan of his personal views?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 02:45 AM   #2
Nutter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: puckland
Posts: 745
From what little I've seen from him, he never lets the facts get in the way of a good outrage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 02:48 AM   #3
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter
From what little I've seen from him, he never lets the facts get in the way of a good outrage.
As much as I think O'Reilly is a pompous self-promoting populist ass, I'm interested in knowing where you think the facts and O'Reilly have parted ways.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 04:32 AM   #4
Nutter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: puckland
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by X
As much as I think O'Reilly is a pompous self-promoting populist ass, I'm interested in knowing where you think the facts and O'Reilly have parted ways.
Well, for one thing, after Ann Coulter went on "The Fifth Estate" and claimed that Canada sent troops to Vietnam, O'Reilly backed her up. In fact, he used the opportunity to take a pot shot at the CBC: "By distorting facts and pounding a relentless anti-american drum, the CBC has convinced millions that the U.S. is the villian in the war on terror. That could lead to millions of death, sir, just as Nazi propaganda did." That's what I mean by not letting the facts get in the way of a good outrage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 07:04 AM   #5
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 49,745
Bill's an Arrogant Dickweed. But you Fox/Conservative haters can't stop talking and thinking about 'em.

Congrats Bill! Here's to another annoying 10 on FOX.
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-10-06 at 08:51 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 07:15 AM   #6
Lord Rick
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by X
As much as I think O'Reilly is a pompous self-promoting populist ass, I'm interested in knowing where you think the facts and O'Reilly have parted ways.
Good lord, are you serious? Just google bill oreilly errors and you can read all you want. I'm not going to cut and paste them here because DVDtalk would run out of space (j/k).
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 07:25 AM   #7
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
haven't watched him in years, the morton downy of the 21st century
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 08:08 AM   #8
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 19,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by X
As much as I think O'Reilly is a pompous self-promoting populist ass, I'm interested in knowing where you think the facts and O'Reilly have parted ways.
You should watch the SNL sketches lampooning him. I've never seen a more apt criticism of him.
__________________
***DVDTALK GOLD TRADER***

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 08:12 AM   #9
classicman2
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 67,888
Didn't Bill O'Reilly use to be a journalist?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 08:29 AM   #10
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 33,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
Didn't Bill O'Reilly use to be a journalist?
He won two Peabody Polk Awards!
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 09:22 AM   #11
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
It was great seeing him go ballistic on Phil Donahue. Also stalking the judge who gave probation to a rapist.
__________________
"We are not fighting so that you will offer us something. We are fighting to eliminate you."

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:28 AM   #12
kvrdave
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 81,531
I don't like his TV show and haven't watched in a long time, but I have heard his radio show a few random times and I find him to be pretty funny (self depricating humor, even) and interesting on that.

I think liberals just have to hate him because he is on FOX. Kind of like how Colmes doesn't really get to be considered a liberal by other liberals. O'Reilly is a big proponent of medical marijuana, is hook, line, and sinker, in the global warming crowd, is ready to take down "big oil" etc. He is hardly a person who is of one ideology, and I can at least respect him for that. But, again, I haven't watched the show in so long that I couldn't really comment on it or how he acts on it, other than to say that when I have seen it in the past, I wasn't a fan.
__________________
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:58 AM   #13
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,595
Hey, Bill has won Peabody awards. Wait, maybe not. He just CLAIMS he won Peabody's.
__________________
We are 138
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:00 AM   #14
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Good lord, are you serious? Just google bill oreilly errors and you can read all you want. I'm not going to cut and paste them here because DVDtalk would run out of space (j/k).
Yes. O'Reilly likes to flaunt that he attended Harvard and that his is a "historian." But very often, he just gets things dead wrong. He strikes me as the guy down the block that blowhards about lots of things but doesn't really know much about anything.
__________________
We are 138
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:03 AM   #15
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 49,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
Yes. O'Reilly likes to flaunt that he attended Harvard and that his is a "historian." But very often, he just gets things dead wrong. He strikes me as the guy down the block that blowhards about lots of things but doesn't really know much about anything.

Look, I'm no Bill fan...Like I said, he's an arrogant dickweed. But doesn't EVERY "journalist" make mistakes? Name one reporter,host, journalist who gets it right all the time. Hell, even Oprah got snowed a few times.
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:18 AM   #16
Nutter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: puckland
Posts: 745
It's one thing to make an honest mistake. It's quite another to say that somebody else is distorting the facts like Nazi propaganda when they're actually right, you're wrong, and you could have looked it up on freaking wikipedia in 30 seconds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:19 AM   #17
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,595
Yes, there are just certain times when he just gets basic things wrong.
__________________
We are 138
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:25 AM   #18
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 49,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter
It's one thing to make an honest mistake. It's quite another to say that somebody else is distorting the facts like Nazi propaganda when they're actually right, you're wrong, and you could have looked it up on freaking wikipedia in 30 seconds.
ok, fair enough. I think that's where his arrogance comes into full play so I can see your point.

But still I agree with kvrdave. The fact that he's on FOX means you guys give no slack whatsoever.



__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-10-06 at 11:27 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:29 AM   #19
Chew
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter
It's one thing to make an honest mistake. It's quite another to say that somebody else is distorting the facts like Nazi propaganda when they're actually right, you're wrong, and you could have looked it up on freaking wikipedia in 30 seconds.
And we all know wikipedia is never wrong either!

__________________
XBL/PSN: chew1138
Weekly Tuesday Warhawk Night (PS3)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:45 AM   #20
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 33,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew
And we all know wikipedia is never wrong either!

Wikipedia is sometimes wrong, but here's an article on various O'Reilly incidents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O%..._controversies

If you can point out particular things that are incorrect, I'd love to hear about them.
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:45 AM   #21
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Where it all happens - SoCal
Posts: 16,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew
And we all know wikipedia is never wrong either!
It is the Chuck Norris of websites
__________________
"Kneel Before Zod"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:49 AM   #22
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 18,874
IIRC, he often claims that he is libertarian. he's certainly not one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 11:59 AM   #23
Chew
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
If you can point out particular things that are incorrect, I'd love to hear about them.
I have no comment on O'Reilly's rightness or wrongness, I don't watch or listen to him and therefore have no opinion.
__________________
XBL/PSN: chew1138
Weekly Tuesday Warhawk Night (PS3)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 01:49 PM   #24
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 37,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
IIRC, he often claims that he is libertarian. he's certainly not one.
Bingo.

If anyone has ever heard one of his rants on the legalization or decriminalization of drugs, you'd not only find that he's not a libertarian, you'd also find he lacks rational thinking skills.
__________________
We are 138
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 02:02 PM   #25
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,724
I suppose if you want to find a liberal, make a post about O'Reilly... Relax people - he is not a news reporter, he has a show where he gives his opinion. That is all. He has been doing the show for 10 years -so I am sure in that time he has been wrong about some things, but the vast amount of time his facts are correct (though you may not agree with his opinion). I am sure some liberals get things wrong too sometimes, right?

Where is your outrage when an actually reporter - or news anchor - reports something incorrectly?

We get it - you don't like Fox or anyone on it. Fox is bad - okay.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.