Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-10-06, 12:26 PM   #1
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Al Gore Says He Hasn't Ruled Out 2nd Run

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...070496,00.html
Quote:
Sunday September 10, 2006 11:16 AM

AP Photo XMB104

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Former Vice President Al Gore said Sunday he hadn't rule out making a second bid for the White House, though he said it was unlikely.

Gore spoke to reporters in Sydney, where he was promoting the local premiere of his documentary on global warming.

``I haven't completely ruled out running for president again in the future but I don't expect to,'' Gore said before the Sunday night premiere of ``An Inconvenient Truth.''

``I offer the explanation not as an effort to be coy or clever. It's just the internal shifting of gears after being in politics almost 30 years. I hate to grind the gears,'' he added.

Gore, who lost the presidency to President Bush in 2000 in disputed circumstances, said there was no doubt the impact of global warming would be best addressed through the power of the presidency, but making a documentary was second best.

Gore's renewed popularity and movie tours across the United States have spurred speculation of a White House run in 2008. He has previously repeatedly denied such intentions.

The documentary, which Gore narrates, is critical of the United States and Australia for refusing to adopt the Kyoto Protocol for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Prime Minister John Howard, a friend and ally of Bush, said he would not meet Gore during his Australian visit and would not heed his advice to sign up to Kyoto.

``I don't take policy advice from films,'' Howard told reporters.
First of all to Mr. Howard.
Second: Please Al, run.
Third: Maybe he can get ABC to run his Docu-Fairy-tale.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 09-10-06, 02:30 PM   #2
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gore, who lost the presidency to President Bush in 2000 in disputed circumstances, said there was no doubt the impact of global warming would be best addressed through the power of the presidency, but making a documentary was second best.
He was vice president for 8 years, including 2 years with Democrats controlling the House and Senate. And during that time, he did nothing to combat global warming.
Old 09-10-06, 02:35 PM   #3
X
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle
He was vice president for 8 years, including 2 years with Democrats controlling the House and Senate. And during that time, he did nothing to combat global warming.
Quite true.

Even being from the senate he couldn't (or more probably, didn't) do anything to encourage his former colleagues to accept Kyoto. Maybe it would have taken time away from his fund-raising phone calls.
Old 09-10-06, 02:56 PM   #4
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Meeting the Challenge of Global Warming

New Executive Orders to Reduce Governmentís Emissions. On April 22, 2000, two new executive orders were unveiled to help meet the challenge of climate change. The first order improves fuel efficiency by requiring the Federal government to reduce fuel use in its vehicle fleets by 20 percent over the next five years. The second order offers federal workers incentives to use public transportation, cutting fuel use and the pollution that contributes to climate change.

Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential Appliances. On April 19, 2000, the Vice President announced proposed new standards to improve the energy efficiency of residential water heaters that would result in consumer savings of more than $23 billion in energy over the next two decades. On May 24, 2000, Energy Secretary Bill Richardson announced an agreement with the washing machine industry to produce machines by 2007 that use half as much energy as most current models.

Protecting the Global Environment

China. On May 19, 2000, the Vice President released a joint statement between the United States and China pledging stronger cooperation on a range of efforts to protect the environment and promote sustainable development, including international efforts to combat global climate change.

India. On March 22, 2000, President Clinton announced an agreement to aid environmental programs in India on clean energy and climate change.

Climate Change

The Administrationís FY 2001 budget proposes over $2.4 billion (a more than 40 percent increase over FY 2000 enacted levels) in funding to combat global climate change. This includes increased investments in research and development of clean energy technology, the Climate Change Technology Initiative, and offers tax incentives to consumers who buy energy efficient cars, homes, appliances and other clean energy products.
Source

While I agree that Al Gore and Bill Clinton could have done more to help push the Kyoto Accords through Congress, it is wholly inaccurate to say that he did nothing to combat global warming.

The Official Cabinet
Old 09-10-06, 06:13 PM   #5
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...070496,00.html
Third: Maybe he can get ABC to run his Docu-Fairy-tale.
I almost hope he does run. There will be much more attention paid to An Inconvenient Truth and I would like to see it shredded for its exaggerations, misleading "facts" and lies. Up to now it's gotten pretty much a free ride from the critics and the mainstream media which don't know any better and don't want to know any better.
Old 09-10-06, 06:15 PM   #6
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMojo
While I agree that Al Gore and Bill Clinton could have done more to help push the Kyoto Accords through Congress, it is wholly inaccurate to say that he did nothing to combat global warming.
Thank goodness they didn't do any more.
Old 09-10-06, 07:03 PM   #7
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

He can run all he wants, but he isn't going to win the nomination.
Old 09-10-06, 08:07 PM   #8
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

And...who's the best the Republicans have? I'd like to see that amazing person.

Both sides have pathetic people.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-10-06, 08:18 PM   #9
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
And...who's the best the Republicans have?
that person has been dead for over a century
Old 09-10-06, 08:26 PM   #10
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Source

I was wrong.

Thank you for the correction.
Old 09-10-06, 08:33 PM   #11
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I was wrong.

Thank you for the correction.
No problem. To be honest, I wasn't expecting an actual concession -- I find that entirely surprising, in a very positive way.

I've changed my mind about you, grundle. I still think some of your threads are a little bit on the wacky side... but you've been nothing but consistent and fair, and I commend you for it.

The Official Cabinet
Old 09-10-06, 09:56 PM   #12
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
And...who's the best the Republicans have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Calvin Coolidge is dead but not for more than a century.
Old 09-10-06, 10:01 PM   #13
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

True. And Teddy Roosevelt didn't die until 1919.

But I think we might be holding CB to a higher standard, expecting him to know American history. Since, you know, he's from Canada, eh?

The Official Cabinet
Old 09-10-06, 10:13 PM   #14
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
But I think we might be holding CB to a higher standard, expecting him to know American history. Since, you know, he's from Canada, eh?
And there's something about him that's not kosher.
Old 09-10-06, 10:33 PM   #15
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
No problem. To be honest, I wasn't expecting an actual concession -- I find that entirely surprising, in a very positive way.

I've changed my mind about you, grundle. I still think some of your threads are a little bit on the wacky side... but you've been nothing but consistent and fair, and I commend you for it.
Thanks.
Old 09-10-06, 10:34 PM   #16
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib
Calvin Coolidge is dead but not for more than a century.
My favorite President is Democrat Grover Cleveland.
Old 09-10-06, 10:48 PM   #17
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Given that the vote was 99-0, I don't think Clinton (or any president faced with those odds) would have ever tried to use that much of a "loser" issue to persuade people. It could only have hurt them to do so.

All Kyoto would have done is take money out of our pockets and given them to the UN. Any treaty that doesn't include all nations is pointless. How are the nations that signed on doing with their goals? I haven't seen that posted in some time.

I find Gore's environmentalism to be as fanatical and scary as the prospect of Pat Robertson becoming president, personally.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-10-06, 11:33 PM   #18
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

It is analogous to banning cars for safety reasons.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 09-11-06, 12:24 AM   #19
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Not really. Both sides have good people.
Both sides have good people, but neither side has been nominating the good people.
Old 09-11-06, 01:08 AM   #20
paulringodaman
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If i cared to actually register and vote, I'd vote for him
Old 09-11-06, 01:18 AM   #21
Harry Lime
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Abraham Lincoln im sure. The greatest president ever.
Old 09-11-06, 06:59 AM   #22
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime
Abraham Lincoln im sure. The greatest president ever.
That's who I meant
Old 09-11-06, 10:55 AM   #23
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Gore is the best they've got.
That is an absurd statement.
Old 09-11-06, 12:05 PM   #24
classicman2
DVD Talk God

I would be hard pressed to think of a worse candidate for the nomination than Gore.
Old 09-11-06, 12:37 PM   #25
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2
I would be hard pressed to think of a worse candidate for the nomination than Gore.
Dennis Kucinich.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Sponsored Links